Micro$oft?

23 posts in this topic

Over the years I have been on several message boards. I've seen discussions from: eating, vaction spots, new cell phone firmware, how to mod a cell phone, music, et al.

Inevitably, a Microsoft post comes along with ".....micro$oft..." (i have a life just so you know :glare: ). Now I do get why people type this. People are pissed that Windows doesn't run like it's suppose to and you have to go out and buy parts for it to work again (ie hard drives). And of course the high amount for their OS's. 350 just for Vista at least 3 months ago. So I understand their plight against MS, but..

Windows can run on any computer. OS X, LINUX, UNIX, whatever. Apple on the other hand can't. Windows PC's are cheap, affordable, and very easy to configure hardware wise. Apple? for about 1099 you can get a laptop that has a small screen. (macbook) for almost 2000 dollars you get the macbook pro which has about 4 more inches of screen. Granted in has more kick to it but still. Mac Pro starts at 2500 for a basic model.

So whos' kidding who? Say what you will about Microsoft but at least you can afford a half way decent computer without breaking the bank too much.

...for the record I love my OSX86 machine :(

I'm not down on Apple hell, we all have to make money but Apple is way overpriced

wow, you are very misinformed. Windows is limited to the x86 architecture wheras Linux can run on almost any arch. the $ is for the software costs, not the hardware. You cannot compare apple and msoft because one is a software company and the other a hardware company.

People are pissed that Windows doesn't run like it's suppose to and you have to go out and buy parts for it to work again (ie hard drives).

No, thats not the reason. The real reason why people write that is because Microsoft concentrates more on quantity rather than quality. This quantitative value, represents the $. Its as simple as that.

Windows can run on any computer. OS X, LINUX, UNIX, whatever. Apple on the other hand can't.

Your running OS X86 arent you? So why complain?

Windows PC's are cheap, affordable, and very easy to configure hardware wise. Apple? for about 1099 you can get a laptop that has a small screen. (macbook) for almost 2000 dollars you get the macbook pro which has about 4 more inches of screen. Granted in has more kick to it but still. Mac Pro starts at 2500 for a basic model.

Except you forgot to mention the Mac Mini, which is priced at $600, making it affordable for the masses. I have yet to see you come up with a windows Laptop for under $1100 with the exact same specs as the Macbook, yes that includes a good resolution camera, firewire 400 port, dual layer DVD burner. Same with the Macbook Pro, can you come up with an exact priced windows laptop...with Windows Vista Ultimate (because OS X doesnt come in numerous different versions, only the full fledged version), backlit keyboard, bluetooth 2.0, exactly 1" thin, has a Firewire 400 & 800 port, bult in good resolution camera, and a Mobility Radeon X1600?

So whos' kidding who? Say what you will about Microsoft but at least you can afford a half way decent computer without breaking the bank too much....

I'm not down on Apple hell, we all have to make money but Apple is way overpriced

Well, you get what you pay for when it comes to Apple. :P You dont see guys or girls bitching that BMW's and Mercedes's are not worth their price do you?

I have a Mini-Mac, unfortunately, an older one with power PC chip. I like the power PC chip, but would like to run OSX on my Intel PC [which is non-Mac hardware]. But I can't! Apple will not sell OSX for use with other hardware. So I am forced to buy a PC or laptop with M$ installed, which I hate. I use Linux and Mac OSX. Both are good, because both are UNix. Microsoft's OS is some sort of sick joke. M$ fails both on technical and ethical grounds. And it's almost impossible to get a refund from M$ when you don't use it.

I wish Apple would wise up and offer OSX to other hardware users. They could sell a billion copies easy.

I have yet to see you come up with a windows Laptop for under $1100 with the exact same specs as the Macbook, yes that includes a good resolution camera, firewire 400 port, dual layer DVD burner. Same with the Macbook Pro, can you come up with an exact priced windows laptop...with Windows Vista Ultimate (because OS X doesnt come in numerous different versions, only the full fledged version), backlit keyboard, bluetooth 2.0, exactly 1" thin, has a Firewire 400 & 800 port, bult in good resolution camera, and a Mobility Radeon X1600?

this was the reason why i got macbook pro, it was small, and powerfull

for $2700AUD ($2215USD) 15" model was a bargain.

hell

the processer gets a 5.2 rating in vista and everything thing else is 5.0 only the hard drive pulls it down to 4.6.

id like to see a laptop for that price with a rating like that.

EFI, I think the problem is that some people don't all want that in a laptop. I think Apple's laptops are simply worth it because they're ergonomically designed, which is much more important in a notebook.

And the Mac mini, is NOT a good value.

On another note, I think that Micro$oft was funny in 1995, whatever in 2000, and childish in 2007.

So I am forced to buy a PC or laptop with M$ installed, which I hate. I use Linux and Mac OSX. Both are good, because both are UNix. Microsoft's OS is some sort of sick joke. M$ fails both on technical and ethical grounds. And it's almost impossible to get a refund from M$ when you don't use it.

You are definitely not forced to buy a desktop PC with Windows preinstalled. Build your own, ask a friend, your local computer shop... The last time I bought a PC with Windows preinstalled was 4 years ago.

When it comes to laptops the matter becomes more difficult, but Dell laptops either with Ubuntu preinstalled or SUSE certified are coming soon.

The truth is, however, that if you don't care about Windows preinstalled, you are likely to find laptop bargains with savings which will offset the Microsoft tax several times. Just make sure that they are Linux/OS X compatible.

Microsoft are one of the world's richest companies. Bill Gates was (until yesterday*) the world's richest person. The $ seems quite appropriate to me.

* In case you care, apparently the owner of the IKEA furniture company is now $6 billion richer than Billy Boy.

actually... someone started a forum a while ago and actually proved that the mac mini was a good value ^_^

oo rly? A combo drive and regular Core Duo with 512 MB is? Probably because you factored in the form factor, and the bluetooth/wireless. Well, if I don't want this, it counts 0 to me, and therefore, it's not the value it claims. I don't want a small form factor PC whatsoever, so why'd I want that in a Mac. My Gateway offered me much more for my $$$ in regard to what I needed, and that is the ONLY reason I didn't get a Mac, as much as it pained me to not get a new Mac for another 2 years.

Um.. The $ in Micro$oft was always for their dodgy business practices, back in the nineties when this expression was moderately current.. I had a standard trademark I left on all the windows machines in my care, that IE opened with the window title "Micro$haft Internet Exploiter" and had an animation of bart simpson dropping his pants instead of the twirling IE logo.

It all seems so long ago now...

Guest Ramm

On some forums, if you type microsoft, it automatically replaces it with something like msft, micro$oft, MS, etc...

Well alright ;)

First of all, I'm not even trying to complain about Apple. I love OS X. Simple, safe, reliable.

Secondly, perhaps I was misinformed about Windows running on everything due to the x86 architecture, but isn't there x64 XP? Vista? Yes. Perhaps I really meant PC's. Whatever though, I know it's not as simple as I stated so point taken.

I didn't mention Mac Mini because I forgot about them and anyway who would even want something like that? Compared to a Mac Pro? Yes they're affordable but look what you get? A halfed ass Macintosh.

asap18: You're right. Windows is to OS's as Apple is to hardware. I'm really talking about Apple's OS and their machines which run it. I'm simply stating that you could in affect build your own PC for much less and have a great working computer.

I'm simply stating that you could in affect build your own PC for much less and have a great working computer.

But you can't build a computer that has everything that doesn't cost around the same price. Track09 arguing that the mini isn't a good deal just because it has more than he wants isn't a good case for Macs being too expensive. No matter what you buy, there are going to be things you don't want, or it's going to be missing things you want. If Apple were to try to please everyone, they'd have to have at least 6 different form factors for their desktop Macs instead of 3, and let people customize them down the the component level. But that would make things cost more, and no one would be happy.

If you try to try to build a PC like the Mac Mini, it will end up costing over $800 (A Open makes a case just like it almost). It won't be exactly the same, since that's with a 1.66GHz Core 2 Duo instead of a Core Duo like the Mini, but that's with the same RAM, HD, Combo Drive, etc. Yes, you can probably get a PC for slightly less than the Mini, but with loud fans in a mini-tower case, taking 8 times the space and using twice the power.

If you try to build a PC like a Mac Pro, it will end up being just as expensive as well. Again, you can build a lesser machine for less, but Apple's computers are not overpriced for what they are.

If you try to build a PC like a Mac Pro, it will end up being just as expensive as well. Again, you can build a lesser machine for less, but Apple's computers are not overpriced for what they are.

I still believe you can. Not necessarily by using exactly the same parts, but something equivalent. Buy for instance a Bad Axe 2 and a Core 2 Quad. It will be fully OS X compatible, very fast and cheaper.

Have a look here:

http://cgi.ebay.it/NUOVO-INTEL-QUAD-CORE-D...1QQcmdZViewItem

Sorry, it is in Italian.

I still believe you can. Not necessarily by using exactly the same parts, but something equivalent. Buy for instance a Bad Axe 2 and a Core 2 Quad. It will be fully OS X compatible, very fast and cheaper.

Have a look here:

http://cgi.ebay.it/NUOVO-INTEL-QUAD-CORE-D...1QQcmdZViewItem

Sorry, it is in Italian.

That's not even close to being comparable. It only has one processor slot and 4 RAM slots, no FireWire 400, no FireWire 800, only one Ethernet port. It is essentially half of a Mac Pro. Here are some comparable components at NewEgg, which normally has some of the best prices around:

Motherboard: $569.99 (still no FW, but the closest one I could find)

Processors: $1426.00 (for two 2.66GHz Woodcrests)

Case: $259

Hard drive: $67.99

DVD Burner: $32.99

7300 GT: $83.99 (cheapest with dual DVI, and still only has half the memory of the one in the Mac Pro).

Power Supply: $279.99 (cheapest 1000w Power Supply. The Mac Pro is actually rated higher than this)

Mac OS X: $129.00

That brings us to $2,849.94 to build a a Mac you can buy from Apple for $2,499.00. The Mac Pro comes fully assembled too, and I didn't even include the cost of iLife, which comes installed. As I said in my earlier post, yes, it is possible to build a computer for less, but you can't compare a Mac Pro to a computer that doesn't have two processor slots, 8 RAM slots, etc just because you don't want them.

Edit: Oops. Did I forget the Memory? Yes I did! Add $71.49 to that price to get $2,921.43. This memory is not the same as the Mac Pro however. It is not ECC or buffered, but NewEgg didn't have a 2x512 kit that was fast enough. The DDR 400 memory was over $150

That's not even close to being comparable. It only has one processor slot and 4 RAM slots, no FireWire 400, no FireWire 800, only one Ethernet port. It is essentially half of a Mac Pro. Here are some comparable components at NewEgg, which normally has some of the best prices around:

From my point of view the end result is almost identical. Bad Axe 2: one processor slot? Yes, but it takes a Quad, and that should be enough for quite a while. 4 RAM slots? Yes, but they take 8 GB of fast RAM, and I can't imagine needing more than that for many years to come. It does have FireWire 400, and I need only one ethernet port.

Besides, motherboards are fairly easy to replace. I built my first hackintosh in June last year, my second one in March this year.

OS X? I know, you must use it illegally, but they'll have to sell Leopard as un upgrade. If you buy one you'll be only in breach of EULA, which in most countries is hardly ever prosecuted.

BTW, the computer in that Ebay link costs just over Eur 1000. The man says that you can ask for any different configuration.

So if he can sell it with a Bad Axe we are very far from the Eur 2500 which is the cost of a basic Mac Pro.

But just because it's good enough for your needs, it doesn't mean that it's comparable to a Mac Pro. Yes, the one you linked to can use a Quad Core, but the Mac Pro can have two Quad Core CPUs. Comparing the two is like trying to argue with a realtor that you only need two of the four bedrooms in a house, so you should have to pay less for it. lol. As I've said in my other posts, I'm not saying you can't build a computer for less. All I'm saying is you can't build a comparable computer for less. What you're doing is comparing to a computer that doesn't exist in Apple's lineup (and I think it should).

• 3 weeks later...

(Micro$oft) is very WArez Scene like. Myself i am very anti microsoft. so i call it MIcro{censored}. Cause of dodgy business, 8 versions of {censored}. Copy cats and crazy prices and very buggy software for what you pay. I rather buy a mac pro or macbook pro ( i just bought a MBP) and you wont ever find a pc laptop for that price for all you have in a apple. and no way better looking and engineered they way apple does it. But hey that's me! run linux or any unix based os. Just don't play with Microsoft. BOo hoo

-MacX :thumbsup_anim:

• 2 weeks later...
Over the years I have been on several message boards. I've seen discussions from: eating, vaction spots, new cell phone firmware, how to mod a cell phone, music, et al.

Inevitably, a Microsoft post comes along with ".....micro$oft..." (i have a life just so you know :hysterical: ). Now I do get why people type this. People are pissed that Windows doesn't run like it's suppose to and you have to go out and buy parts for it to work again (ie hard drives). And of course the high amount for their OS's. 350 just for Vista at least 3 months ago. So I understand their plight against MS, but..

Windows can run on any computer. OS X, LINUX, UNIX, whatever. Apple on the other hand can't. Windows PC's are cheap, affordable, and very easy to configure hardware wise. Apple? for about 1099 you can get a laptop that has a small screen. (macbook) for almost 2000 dollars you get the macbook pro which has about 4 more inches of screen. Granted in has more kick to it but still. Mac Pro starts at 2500 for a basic model.

So whos' kidding who? Say what you will about Microsoft but at least you can afford a half way decent computer without breaking the bank too much.

...for the record I love my OSX86 machine :blink:

The refrence is regards to Microsoft's dominance in the market overall. Also, you can spend up to 5 grand or more building a gaming PC.