Make Apple TV OS run on a regular PC?

Artistan

149 posts in this topic

Yeah I think there's no point in trying to patch the kernel and trying to make the apple tv image work directly on a partition. I think we're much better off having an os x install and then copying the patched finder.app over and those extra frameworks you need (instructions at http://appletvhacks.net) The patched finder can be found...... well let's just say its green... and it's devilish... I'm gonna try this tonight on my imac. Here is a screenshot of it running on an iMac (notice the hard drive capacity and the resolution):

436798915_14cbc105b1.jpg

(if image goes down, it was found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexisalex/43...pool-macintosh/

At 7:45PM PST today, the AppleTV OS successfully booted on a PC. There are still a couple setbacks (controlling it, ethernet, etc.) but it does in fact boot.

Stripped down 10.4.8 install (Intel optimized)

Boot time after BIOS: 15 seconds

i tried it on my hackintosh, but it just doesnt work out at all... frontrow refuses to start.... 1.3 does start though, when i replace it back..... seem like the patched binary works only on real macbooks

sorry for my lack of knowledge about AppleTv but..., wouldn't be easier to run the appletv app on an already hacked macosX? what's the point on run an older macos(10.4.7) just to use a single app?

Tried Dsurion's method, can't get past the intro movie....

Log attached.

Naamloos.rtf

Hm I replaced Front Row 1.3 with appletv in my current 10.4.8 installation.And infact it starts, I get the intro movie and then it just sits there or just crashes back to the desktop.

I'm using a AMD processor btw, would the appletv finder need some cpuid patches?

I got a little further on AMD:

I patched the cpuid checks in backrow framework and now the AppleTV GUI starts, I can see the screen where it gives you the password code for Itunes. But ofcourse I can't pass that screen because I have no remote. So we'll have to wait until there is some kind of an emulation for a remote.

I got a little further on AMD:

I patched the cpuid checks in backrow framework and now the AppleTV GUI starts, I can see the screen where it gives you the password code for Itunes. But ofcourse I can't pass that screen because I have no remote. So we'll have to wait until there is some kind of an emulation for a remote.

how would I go about patching the cpuid checks in the backrow framework? because I still can't get past the intro vid too

I ended up getting it to stop crashing after the intro movie with awesome help from DiaboliK in the hackintosh irc channel, thank you btw. He told me to change the media drive number from disk0s4 in the backrow executable to my own hard drive that has osx on it using hexedit (the number is found when you click info on your hard drive in disc utility). There are 3 BackRow executables in "System/Library/Privateframeworks/BackRow.framework" that you need to change being "System/Library/Privateframeworks/BackRow.framework/", "System/Library/Privateframeworks/BackRow.framework/Versions/Current/", and "System/Library/Privateframeworks/BackRow.framework/Versions/A/". Then after this I copied everything from the media drive that mounts with the appletv.dmg to the root of my drive so it now uses those folders for media in Apple TV. Then it launches perfectly with the intro movie then the connect to iTunes screen. That's as far as I can get today because i'm still waiting on my apple remote IR receiver I should get it tomorrow hopefully. I hope this helps some of you. Thanks again DiaboliK!

just grapped the image and restored to external usb drive and booted from it on my c2d macbook and works 100%. I only fooled with it for a couple minutes since im really tired and want to go to bed but the keyboard shortcut for screenshots worked so i snapped a few

post-58362-1175226132_thumb.png

post-58362-1175226147_thumb.png

OK. I'm stuck. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I can't even get to the intro movie. Changed the media path, have all the framework. and patched Finer.app... Is therea specific requirements for video card?

OK. I'm stuck. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I can't even get to the intro movie. Changed the media path, have all the framework. and patched Finer.app... Is therea specific requirements for video card?

how are you going about it?

as long as you have your intital 10.4.8/9 install correct before you install aTV its should work correctly if you patched it right.

Since the old XBOX has hardware (USB, GF VGA, HDD, Intel CPU) like the aTV, can we expect aTVOS running on an old XBOX?

Nope. As I know, XBOX is powered by an old Intel Celeron CPU that hasn't got SSE2. Mac OS X (even the aTVOS) requires them, so...

Sherry Haibara

K, got it to work. as it turned out I got careless and entered the wrong device id for the disk I wanted to use.

Anyway, one issue I'm having is when exiting "Frontrow 2.0" my mouse cursor get's garbled, and I have to either change the resolution or re-login/restart to fix it.

Otherwise my iTunes from my PowerBook sees it... all aprox. 200 GB space I assigned to it.

Weird thing is though, for some reason I must have broke my prior Frontrow installation since the menu item in the Mouse&Keyboard section does't show up and apple+esc doesn't do anything anymore.

I did try putting the old Frontrow.app back see if it will fix it but no luck. Do you think it's my Frontrowpass.kext?

Can't control it yet though. How's the progress on the IR emulation? What channel can I find you all in the IRC?

K, got it to work. as it turned out I got careless and entered the wrong device id for the disk I wanted to use.

Anyway, one issue I'm having is when exiting "Frontrow 2.0" my mouse cursor get's garbled, and I have to either change the resolution or re-login/restart to fix it.

yep i'm having the same problem with my mouse when I exit apple tv, it's like a row of 10 different cursors and i don't know which is the real one.