Make Apple TV OS run on a regular PC?

Artistan

149 posts in this topic

yep i'm having the same problem with my mouse when I exit apple tv, it's like a row of 10 different cursors and i don't know which is the real one.

Fixed. Just modify the resolution.txt in the Closer app to your right resolution and it should fix it.

just grapped the image and restored to external usb drive and booted from it on my c2d macbook and works 100%. I only fooled with it for a couple minutes since im really tired and want to go to bed but the keyboard shortcut for screenshots worked so i snapped a few

hi,

i´m stuck at apple logo... how long it take to boot?... is OSBoot Volume name that are u using?!..

there´s something special to do?!.. any guide!!?

got a c2d macbook too....

many question!! :lol:

tnx in advanced

regards,

Got It installed on a Partition on my MacBook Pro. All I get a a Nice Shiny Apple then No activity.. how can Turn on Verbose mode.?

Id Love to get this to eventually to run on the Hack, be perfect for the living room..

same here, but with a c2d macbook.

You don't need to install the whole os from appleTV you can install the regular OSX and move certain files to make it work on a genuine mac hardware.

Infact that's how most people's been running it.

Tutorials should be easy to find in this forum.

You don't need to install the whole os from appleTV you can install the regular OSX and move certain files to make it work on a genuine mac hardware.

Infact that's how most people's been running it.

Tutorials should be easy to find in this forum.

humm...ok..

i got appletv working with my osx install, but i think would be nice to have a full working restore dmg, working in both real macs and machacks.

dont u think?! :tomato:

anyway thx..

humm...ok..

i got appletv working with my osx install, but i think would be nice to have a full working restore dmg, working in both real macs and machacks.

dont u think?! :)

anyway thx..

thats if you want to undo mach_kernel.prelink, splice it into 100 pieces then recompile it again just for your machine. ;)

@artistan

Maybe I'm a little short on understanding , but I want to do better.

I am not a genius on using the hexeditor, but I found the line where there's dev/disk0s4.

The problem is (mine indeed) I got the partition on first one so I have to change it with dev/disk0s1.disk0s1 or /dev/rdisk0s1.rdisk0s1? :) :) :huh:

Thanks for efforts indeed!

@artistan

Maybe I'm a little short on understanding , but I want to do better.

I am not a genius on using the hexeditor, but I found the line where there's dev/disk0s4.

The problem is (mine indeed) I got the partition on first one so I have to change it with dev/disk0s1.disk0s1 or /dev/rdisk0s1.rdisk0s1? :D:huh: :huh:

Thanks for efforts indeed!

to change the disk/slice for the Media folder, all you have to do is overwrite disk0s4 with disk0s1.

There is two spot around same area that says disk0s4. You should not endup with disk0s4.disk0s1, just plain disk0s1

My Mac OS X86 (10.4.8) installation/box has a Nvidia video card (DVI & VGA) and a VIA/Rhine sound card (built-in to the mobo)... would I be able to run Apple TV/Front Row 2.0 on it smoothly or do I need to do additional hacks/fixes?

My Mac OS X86 (10.4.8) installation/box has a Nvidia video card (DVI & VGA) and a VIA/Rhine sound card (built-in to the mobo)... would I be able to run Apple TV/Front Row 2.0 on it smoothly or do I need to do additional hacks/fixes?

as long as your install works fine (audio, gfx and everything else) aTV should work fine since its just an app

i got Apple TV/Front Row 2.0 up and started and my [Windows] iTunes synced to it (though I turned off syncing for the moment until I fix the slow transfer speeds issue with the NIC and kext)... but I can't control it (Apple TV). I tried the keyboard (PS2), mouse (USB), Apple remote (came with my MacBook) and the Windows Media Center remote (MCE IR receiver) and nothing works.

Any ideas?

i got Apple TV/Front Row 2.0 up and started and my [Windows] iTunes synced to it (though I turned off syncing for the moment until I fix the slow transfer speeds issue with the NIC and kext)... but I can't control it (Apple TV). I tried the keyboard (PS2), mouse (USB), Apple remote (came with my MacBook) and the Windows Media Center remote (MCE IR receiver) and nothing works.

Any ideas?

control over appletv on a hackintosh is non existant at the moment. welcome to the club :lol:

I am at the point said by Diabolik.

Front Row 2.0 is working , I used a second monitor to activate the code with iTunes , later I discovered we could use the tip of changing resolution before start FR getting the use of desktop back , but obvoiusly , as pointed by Diabolik ,I can't interact with keyboard or mouse with the application...have to wait..

as i was saying to Diabolik just yesterday, the key would be to get a regular USB IR dongle recognised by the OS as the apple-supplied one. that way the apple remote would 'just work'.

any ideas how to start? i thought maybe a natit-style injection into the ioreg, but im not sure USB is matched the same way as PCI....

damn I just ordered one too, thinking it would work no prob

nope not gonna work cause aTV runs as the *exclusive* app shutting out most of the mouse and keyboard. ;)

dunno how many times i have to say it but im sure ill have to state it again at some point.

-DiaboliK

as i was saying to Diabolik just yesterday, the key would be to get a regular USB IR dongle recognised by the OS as the apple-supplied one. that way the apple remote would 'just work'.

any ideas how to start? i thought maybe a natit-style injection into the ioreg, but im not sure USB is matched the same way as PCI....

I was searching for information on Apple´s original Infrared Module and it seems to be USB based, although it´s cable is not a standard one. So, I guess the key will be to get Apple´s original IR Module, modify it´s cable to a normal USB and theoretically it will be detected automatically as Apple´s native. I am trying to get the IR module and it seems that Apple Service will be able to help. To move on I need somebody with the original Mac Mini willing to help (no case dessasembly required, just information).

aed0101: I have a MBP which has the apple IR module. im going down the route of trying to fool the hackintosh into thinking my USB IR device is in fact the apple IR module.

guys just grab the AppleTV original remote kext =AppleIRController.kext it should work

munkey : what about changing the plist file to match ur USB dongle vendor + product id?

tried the plist edit and it no worky

guys just grab the AppleTV original remote kext =AppleIRController.kext it should work

munkey : what about changing the plist file to match ur USB dongle vendor + product id?

Found Apple´s IR Module. The price here is the same, but in Euros.

I have Manta TR1 reciever from TwistedMellon. Changing Vendor and Product ID in AppleIRController.kext does not give a satisfactory result - the kext is loaded,but with errors:

Dependency Errors:

com.apple.iokit.IOHIDFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found

etc.

its not that aTV Finder wont take keyboard or mouse events when in it its just taht aTV finder locks the events out, except for certain keys. :blowup:

Have Fun! (its all in hacking he finder thats it)

-DiaboliK