[Discussion] Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac Enclosure!

TribesMan

1,074 posts in this topic

Nervouschimp,

When you get to the firewire you may find that one of the data cables needs reversing from the diagram too. A good year since I did mine!

thanks for the heads up, and your are indeed correct. just like with the USB, the data lines for the firewire must be reversed, as well. so TPA+ and TPA- must be reversed, and then TPB+ and TPB- must be reversed. i tested this setup using a Lacie firewire hardrive and doing several data transfers... it's working great.

i updated the graphic above to illustrate the correct pinout.

also, to verify that the power button is grounded through the firewire VGND, i unplugged the firewire, and then tried to power on the machine... no dice... the firewire VGND does in-fact complete the power button circuit so it must be used.

now i haven't gotten around to the front audio yet, and may not any time soon.... but anyone can use my last diagram posted above to get all up and running.....

so there you go.... that's the pinout you've wanted....

thanks for the heads up, and your are indeed correct. just like with the USB, the data lines for the firewire must be reversed, as well. so TPA+ and TPA- must be reversed, and then TPB+ and TPB- must be reversed. i tested this setup using a Lacie firewire hardrive and doing several data transfers... it's working great.

i updated the graphic above to illustrate the correct pinout.

also, to verify that the power button is grounded through the firewire VGND, i unplugged the firewire, and then tried to power on the machine... no dice... the firewire VGND does in-fact complete the power button circuit so it must be used.

now i haven't gotten around to the front audio yet, and may not any time soon.... but anyone can use my last diagram posted above to get all up and running.....

so there you go.... that's the pinout you've wanted....

Do you have any pics of your front panel connected to your board and thanks for the picture really helps alot

More Stuff came in

Guess what Im making 2 and one of the mobo was not working and need to send it in ;)

n554566894_624842_9550.jpg

n554566894_624843_9851.jpg

n554566894_624844_114.jpg

n554566894_624845_388.jpg

n554566894_624846_656.jpg

n554566894_624847_929.jpg

n554566894_624848_1195.jpg

n554566894_624849_1466.jpg

n554566894_624850_1737.jpg

n554566894_624851_2022.jpg

n554566894_624852_2308.jpg

n554566894_624853_2592.jpg

n554566894_624854_2878.jpg

n554566894_624855_3163.jpg

n554566894_624856_3448.jpg

n554566894_624857_3732.jpg

n554566894_624858_4022.jpg

n554566894_624859_4306.jpg

n554566894_624860_4596.jpg

n554566894_624861_4876.jpg

n554566894_624862_5174.jpg

More Parts are coming in and also do any of know where to get the female power thing thats on the front of the powersupply where you put in the power wire or a female to female plug I don't want to open up the powersupply. Thank you and getting one mobo RMA'd stupid Abit and can I use a video card in a PCI E x16 electrical x4 slot thank you and I want to try doing this SLi

4 gigs and quad but im not gonna rig it that much maybe a core 2 duo and 2 gigs of ram im gonna use it for graphic designing backup pc because we have a mac book air and a Mac Pro no pc's and I hate the pc case looks and so basically dual boot xp and leopard and med gaming. the mac pro and air arnt mine my brother and my dad so they dont want to get me one so im building one :DAnd Nervous Chimp if read this can you show me a pic of your front panel cabling connected to your motherboard thanks

hey nervous chimp, you getting any progress done?

YES! I have made progress! I got my drive bay fans wired up and working.

g5fanwires.jpg

OK, what I did was split the power into 2 molex connectors that will allow me to attenuate the 12v and 5v separately in order to keep the fans quiet. Basically, the 12v and 12v ground from both fans run to one molex, and the 5v and 5v ground run to a 2nd molex, that way I can easily connect a voltage controller each line and tweak until I get the right combo of noise/cooling. I am hoping that I only need a controller on the 12v line.

BTW, I was unable to power the bay fans on just 12v power. It required both the 5v and 12v lines to make them run.

Also, just like AquaMac said, the voltage lines are on the outside and the grounds are the 2 inner cables.

Nice work there nervouschimp, you are right, you only need to attenuate the 12 v feed. I used a couple of Zalman controllers with one of them turned down as far as it would go and the other slightly faster. They need to be set at slightly differing speeds to stop them creating harmonics.

Nice work there nervouschimp, you are right, you only need to attenuate the 12 v feed. I used a couple of Zalman controllers with one of them turned down as far as it would go and the other slightly faster. They need to be set at slightly differing speeds to stop them creating harmonics.

Oh, {censored}... so i will need to run a separate resistor to each 12v line?

Oh, {censored}... so i will need to run a separate resistor to each 12v line?

Do you have any diagram of this or any thing that can help me out you are so lucky you know how to do this type of stuff I want to learn lol

Do you have any diagram of this or any thing that can help me out you are so lucky you know how to do this type of stuff I want to learn lol

look at the end of connectors with the notches facing up:

left to right:

12v, GND, GND, 5v

Edit:

So I just connected both power lines to 5v and now the bay fans are actually pretty quiet.

so for quiet operation:

5v, GND, GND, 5v.... and no need for a fanmate!

Sweet thanks this one is for the harddrive fans right? or for any with foraand do I need a solder or can I just twine them up

this is for the drive bays fans... both have 4 wires.... i am not using any other stock fans so.... can't help you with anything else.... but they are prolly the same... just connect them 5v, GND, GND, 5v..... the lowest that most fanmates will go is 5v anyway.... so save some clutter.....

i twist, then solder, then shrink-wrap, but i like it to look pro, and be permanent...

this is for the drive bays fans... both have 4 wires.... i am not using any other stock fans so.... can't help you with anything else.... but they are prolly the same... just connect them 5v, GND, GND, 5v..... the lowest that most fanmates will go is 5v anyway.... so save some clutter.....

i twist, then solder, then shrink-wrap, but i like it to look pro, and be permanent...

So thier is 2 fans on the drive bay and also how come on the molex connector the other 2 wires are gone

Where is the best place to get one of the G5 cases?

I'm in Sydney [Australia] if there is a place a little more local...

try

www.welovemacs.com

www.mac-pro.com

or ebay

So thier is 2 fans on the drive bay and also how come on the molex connector the other 2 wires are gone

Im an Idiot I made smoke come out of the fans does that mean they wont work s**t