djpc47

Do you like vista?  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like vista?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure yet

183 posts in this topic

As a comp repair man, I'm going to tell everyone what I think of that damn'd Orwellian OS weather they like it or not.

I decided to work on it one day. It took 1h and 30 minutes to do the same thing that it would have taken 30 minutes to do on an XP pro machine.

This was an emachines with 1gb ram, and a Sempron 3300, SATA 3.0 250gb. A machine that would fly on XP. It ran like a virus infected slug under Vista Home-o Basic. It had a Radeon x1600 Pro. a card used in my hackintosh that works extremely well.

Loading AVG was the first nightmare, as it didn't like the fact that I removed Mcafee, then refused to remove it. It refused to remove google desktop search, amoung several other things, even after uninstall and reboot. I finally got them removed, and got AVG on it.

Firefox was another issue, it didn't want to render the interface and failed to boot after I installed firefox. The fracking OS is so damn restrictive it wouldn't even allow me to plug in a standard monitor to it, complaining about some author's rights or something or other with a different monitor. What about MY {censored} RIGHTS {censored}? The right do use a damn monitor!

As far as I am concerned I WILL NOT work on Vista. And if someone wants service on it (Since im the only one in town) the fee is $200 take it or leave it. That does not include time on the phone with M$, or if the OS fails to activate. I charge $5 a minute to talk to the foreigners that I can't understand at M$.

atleast someone coming to a closer level in the direct perspective I'm facing a bit of:P... I'm no pc tech by true profession but I do do it as a hobby for a good few people;).. have been for many year.. now the bad news OryHara is that the likely hood you'll have to eventually deal with vista is high.... and is why love it or hate it don't matter really....

robotskip, theres a great diff between you or your sisters.... or your direct in home family members all using Vista and having to deal with other people using vista.... or any OS for that matter

the people who live with the people who know OS inside out tend to get to know OS's a lot better then those who aren't computer smart to begin with and don't have no at hand free tech support 24/7;)..... anyway the fact that I didn't automatically adjust to the transition tells me that others people who know less wouldn't either likely..... this doesn't exactly just apply to OS's

again my dad he uses firefox..... figured out how to use Tab's..... when I noticed he knew how to use tabs.... was nearly one of my proudest computer related days;P he learnt it emself...... meanwhile I have cousins.... uncles.... friends... friends friends..... so on who I try and explain how to use firefox and they don't even begin to understand that firefox and IE is a different program..... all they know is that the buttons are all messed up.... and they can't find what their looking for:P

MadDoggyca, wheres my cookie.... you didn't think I was gonna let the offer pass did ya?

vistapoll2.JPG

do I get another cookie?

Edited by djpc47

Exactly. The point here I'm taking is Vista came up way short on all counts. I can google your ass into the ground with quotes but I have better things to do with my time. I'm out!

Prove it, because I think you''re full of {censored} and talking out your ass.

Oryhara, either you're clueless, or lying, because I did exactly what you're saying (same OEM box?), and ran into no such trouble.

182 people vs how many in the intire worl that uses pcs. oh Ithink u jsut brock the .01% mark of all people that have a opion

no vote or statistic ever includes everything its just gives an idea into the probability or amount of people that choose what over what and there for showing what is more likely to be chosen over what else...... the only thing that can be said is the more people who vote the more true it will get.... unless your going to claim that voters vote on the most popular vote which is kinda hard to prove or disprove..... so that in itself tells ya nothing.... why I showed both the tally of votes per website as well as in total.... showing that yes out of all of the votes yes it appears more people don't like windows out of the forums I asked.... however it also shows some groups of people liked Vista and others disliked it:P, yes in that perspective yes it can appear as insanely mac as a group don't like it for whatever reason..... or is of the disliking groups meaning there are tons of other groups but thats just the way it appears that insanely mac is then:P out of the majority that voted..... this by no means means that no one likes vista just can mean that in this situation so such amount of people or this so such percentage of people don't like it as of yet anyway:P

remember the amounts so far of people who haven't even decided can sway the result to either directions;P

Edited by djpc47

Nah , vista is to full of bells and whistles .. i mean PC World selling vista on a new pc , £499 , 1gb ram .. and they '' claim '' it will run games..hahaahah will it fook you need at least 2gb to run vista acceptably

Nah , vista is to full of bells and whistles .. i mean PC World selling vista on a new pc , £499 , 1gb ram .. and they '' claim '' it will run games..hahaahah will it fook you need at least 2gb to run vista acceptably

1GB runs vista fine for me. Stop spreading hahaha lolzorz FOD.

Not with games it isn't, running Oblivion with vista just freezes up, were on XP it runs fine on higher graphics

please don't take this literally... its just to save peoples time and having to hear about why it isn't Vista's fault and why vista is the better than xp....

its cause you have a {censored} video card which doesn't have good vista drivers....regardless if your video card has 1tb of highspeed thz super duper GDDR142 ram..... and you took the delorean to buy it... ok

Edited by djpc47

Exactly. The point here I'm taking is Vista came up way short on all counts. I can google your ass into the ground with quotes but I have better things to do with my time. I'm out!

:D do it then, seriously.... vista was and is an upgrade to xp for high performance pcs, just like 2000 will run faster on a slower pc but if you have over 256 of ram xp will utilize the faster system and run faster than 2000.... gotta love fanboy-ism..... :( seriously, if your gonna say someone is wrong, especially in a hostile mannor as such you should at least provide some sort of proof, it just makes you look like your full of yourself if you dont!

@ track09 with 1gb i run games and everything just fine unles sthey have compatability errors, which none i have played so far ahve done (but to credit i havnt run many because i busted out sonic adventure the other day :D) but i think to really take advantage of vista and have it out perform xp you need 2gb.... idk, im trying to keep it off my main os until sp 1 so that all the *major* bugs are ironed out and found.

and really, some of the people who are complaining about the security are the same ones that {censored} about xp viruses, pick a side and stick to it!! (thats just a thing i cant stand, and it looks like im pointing that at OryHara, but im not, because hes not one of those people, that and hes actually tried the os instead of some people who just go with the popular opinion.... im done..... really i am....)

mmmmmmm free home premium and 2x buisness!

Its very much like XP in many ways, however I find the program file list slightly annoying, it would help if it it expanded some what like it does in xp so you can see the stuff listed. The seach/program start thing is a plus if you know whats already installed but does not help much with a user who doesn't know the computer they are working on.

borillion_star, actually that I totally agree too.... I noticed that but one of those things I forgot about;P..... yeah you could select the old style windows 95 menu and I believe it acts the way the old 95 menu does yet I didn't see any option to make the xp style menu act like xp menu in that aspect.... however as some here might point out..... its right in front of you somewhere, where I dunno.... but we'll see there might be an option:P

again my experience in vista is all based on about half a day of using it or less:P.... I very much so do want to try it again to figure out how to tweak the {censored} out of it as I said.... but I still have a steady belief its likely as bwhsh8r said..... its just an upgrade for faster computers newer computers and nothing more really.... thats actually one of those things I relized later in......... Windows ME tried to shine up windows 98 as much as MS originally didn't want to release it(I used the os for some 2 years;), my computer didn't have any issues with it)....... and xp was a similar attempt on win2k the NT stream...... so Vista really is just an addition on that.... its barely a new OS:P...... maybe a updates kernel but not really a new OS......

also for those who had tried win2k from the start they also know that win2k started with compatibility issues(one copy of windows I actually own:P next to windows 98:P, xp home).... xp and I guess how it was being made and what not, to me anyway is what brought in the compatibility fixing:P though as some know xp and 2k still don't run all the win9x stuff:P even now:P..... so what did vista really do.... to my understanding it drop'd the compatibility for 9x programs along with a good bit of xp?

also for those who had tried win2k from the start they also know that win2k started with compatibility issues(one copy of windows I actually own:P next to windows 98:P, xp home).... xp and I guess how it was being made and what not, to me anyway is what brought in the compatibility fixing:P though as some know xp and 2k still don't run all the win9x stuff:P even now:P... anyway xp and 2k in that time to me and I believe to others was a major feet succeeded by MS..... cause then we had pretty good compatibility along with a stability

.. so what did vista really do now.... to my understanding it drop'd the compatibility for 9x programs along with a good bit of xp? and put shinny eye candy in... forgetting the purpose of an OS.... allow computers to be usable, give the ability to run programs on a computer

yes.... this is a good deal of my MS haterisms kicking in;) so ignore 10-20%(this cut maybe what changes when I get a better feel for vista)

on brightside this may mean on vienna's appearance we may get better compatibility with xp programs or sooner:P

Edited by djpc47

Hey Robotskip, thanks for the reply.

Whether something is more comfortable is a matter of opinion, personally I prefer searching in Vista than Spotlight but I prefer Dashboard to the Sidebar (For the most part).

I agree with you here... there are many OS and like everyone of us

is different, they are. For some people Vista will work, for others it

won't - just the same like with OS X or Linux.

I'm sorry, what exactly do I love ? Vista ? I don't love Vista at all and you, like most people on here, can't make the simple distinction between someone simply disproving a bunch of randoms lying (See: above) and spreading FUD.

So, point out this thing I 'love' otherwise stop making things up.

Well, I simply had a strong impression about that :(

love |l?v|

noun

1 an intense feeling of deep affectionverb [ trans. ]

verb [ trans. ]

• like very much; find pleasure in

;p

After spending a good part of the weekend messing with it. I do like it a bit. Some nice things, from what I tested I really didnt have to many issues, if any issues at all. really no learning curve that I saw... Some shortcut are still to be found. I am using Ultimate, and no errors or lockups. I have not tried Games on it but I will.

Later

Dice ;)

Not with games it isn't, running Oblivion with vista just freezes up, were on XP it runs fine on higher graphics
With games 1GB is fine, I've tried HL2, DoD, CS:S, Fear, GW, Battlestations Midway, Supreme Commander, Company of Heroes, CoD2, NWN2, SW:Empire at War, and 1 or 2 others.
again my experience in vista is all based on about half a day of using it or less:P.... I very much so do want to try it again to figure out how to tweak the {censored} out of it as I said.... but I still have a steady belief its likely as bwhsh8r said..... its just an upgrade for faster computers newer computers and nothing more really....
Basing your opinion on an operating system after only half a day of use is almost as bad as these people judging Vista based upon trying Beta2 > 6 months ago.

Also, it's not only for fast computers, I already proved this -- http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=126

Hey Robotskip, thanks for the reply.

I agree with you here... there are many OS and like everyone of us

is different, they are. For some people Vista will work, for others it

won't - just the same like with OS X or Linux.

Well, I simply had a strong impression about that :lol:

;p

No problem. :)

Yeah, Windows is perfectly fine for most people just like Linux and OSX are perfectly fine for a lot of people but some of these people have some pathetic incessant hate towards Microsoft so they can't grasp that simple concept, unfortunately you and some others can.

These posts only take me a minute or 2 and I actually never really praise Vista, for the most part 98% of my posts are just correcting the people on here who lie and spread FUD. :(

Are Alessandro and the others all dead ? :o

Edited by robotskip

my longhorn vista Exprince has been dated bat to the 38** build and realy starte4d to get into it and longhorn build 4008 I been aroudn useing it seince around 2003....

any thing there waz since 95 and up tehre stil lhave in VIsta more or less and all the old classic option are there and style if u jsut look u can infact set vista up like 95 if one really wanted too...

but u only saying u have half a day or less useing it and u can base your option and exprinces off that.. thats dispointing.. actuyl run it for 1 month staight and use it for realy work and then tell me how bad it is....

shnillz I dual booted longhorn and xp at the time way back then jsut to learn and play with the os....

----------------

up ulmite no errors or lockup ethers.. its really stable and since they locked the kernal files and core system fiels from editiong and stuff its evne harder to brake.

---------------------

and compatiblied issuse isn't that back ...snizzle I still running starcraft on VIsta with no issuse so where your it has drop all 9.x code {censored} comming form?

-----------------

Wait till the day comes when all OS and pcs go mulit touch screen. what then? u going to miss that keyboard and mouse???

----------------------------------

and what are u doing to do when vienna's DROP ALLL BACKWORDS COMPAIDBLITE FOMR VISTA DOWN.... as vienna's will not even be useing the NT knernal or the 9.x kneral is its been wrtin form scrach and they alrdy anoused they will not suport or plan to code for backwoards compaiblty on vienna's......

--------------------------------

perosnyl I can;t wait for that day... all you siimple mined, stuck in the past, can;t let go of the old days.... graps vienna's... personly i be laughing my ass off....

and BTW that is your porblem u totaly can;t let go of the old days.. it shows in your post .... ..how I can;t fined this..t hey sohuld have kept it like that...... here a idea..... how aobut stop living in the 90s and catch up to the 21st centery...........

if your goign to slam a os or anythign for that fact then fine slam it but don;t slam it becuz it works..... slam it becuz it dosn;t work... and far as anyone knows vista boots.... runs...and works..... just becuz u didnt; take the time to fined something or how to change eomthing or how to get somthing working dosn't mean it dosen;t work...it just shows that the problem lies some were infront of the chair and behined the monitor..... figure that part out and you'll do fine....

Edited by MadDoggyca

You can make Vista LOOK like Win95, but it still won't run all legacy programs. This is one of the main points of it being a new OS instead of an upgrade. App incompatibilities could be as small as switching to Basic UI (Limewire Pro) or just crashing. Though MS has also improved this by letting just the program crash instead of all of Windows (Remember the dreaded BSOD, anyone?)

Nd

totaly agree^^^^^^^^^thank god they figured out how to only crash the Program and not the intire os........

a new os is also a sign of new tiems..new apps ..and new way of doign tings... otehr words it wouldn't be considered New?

remmerb when Mac went form classica os 9.2.2 to OSX 10.0.0 with the new Unix kneral that droped alll backwords compaitblite fomr the classic os 9 and under.... ever oen though that wazn;t going ot work and now look were OSX 10 gone.. all it took waz time and so once agian MS did the same thing ...from 9.x code to NT and now Vista fomr XP ever tiem there a new os ther will be change..get use to it......

also this is why Linux will never mount up to anything... its perty much has been the same since day oen expect form day one they added a GUI and a more stable but useless Kernal updates... other then that its been the same.. and that why it will never catch up to either mac or windows.... for linuz to catch up they need a big change in there os and how it dose things.... what linux really needs is the cahnge fomr open source to closed Soruce.... Open srouce Software never works as there 50,0000 people think it sohuld go in 50,000 difrent direction and it ends up going in no direction as unli9ke closed srouce OSX .. 1 compinie ..1 stable and highly aclamined working software.....

I jsut wish apple would get there heaqd out of there ass a relases and X64 and x86 verion for stander ps as well as for there mac hardware.... for apple it be easy as apple can mataion building there os for there mac hardware jsut let the compines write there own Drvies for the x86-x64 pcs that waz it would not be apples fault if osmthing didn;t work tehre no apple hardware and it would be the lack of suport fomr the 3rd party hardware..... that way it wouldn't dmg apple rep jsut the 3rd partys rep

Edited by MadDoggyca

When Microsoft made Vista, they spent real lots of money on it. They redesigned the entire UI, the tone of how they phrased the error messages, the wizards, everything. They worked from the ground up. Yet, they tried to preserve the familiar Windows XP look and feel by keeping the old Windows 95 taskbar, startmenu, etc. They spent lots of time developing Windows Aero. And, believe it or not, Vista has gone through a phenomenal change under the hood as well; the core structures, etc, etc, have all changed.

Result: too many cooks spoil the broth.

By keeping the familiar look and feel of older Windows systems by keeping taskbar, start button, etc, what you get is the everyday person on the street saying, "What's the difference between Vista and XP?"

By redesigning the entire UI, people ask, "What is UI?"

If you explain to them, they go, "What is Windows Aero?"

And, if you let them use it, they say, "Oh, it's preeeeeeeettttttttty!!!" for a few days, and then they take it for granted.

And forget about the differences in the software of Vista... people don't even notice it ever existed.

As for security, well, after all, vista or not, once you download a run.exe, your computer is going to die. With vista, even as it dies, it will throw out immense numbers of UAC, which just adds to the suffering; and anyhow it will still die. Research has shown that Vista has many of the same software security loopholes as XP.

In fact, Windows Vista is a failure. It has not met my expectations. I have used vista, and, heck, there are so many obvious flaws. That is why I have come to use Mac OS X. There are two reasons for migrating: either the destination is appealing, or where you came from was too hostile. For me, both.

Also, it's not only for fast computers, I already proved this -- http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=126

I didnt say that really, but to really gain a performance benifit it is, because it utilizes more of hte resources, so basicially it will only run faster (i think, i may test this) on high performance computers, and yes, there are many other benifits for switching, ill give a better example after i reinstall it (i had it for a couple of weeks then went back to xp x64)

Basing your opinion on an operating system after only half a day of use is almost as bad as these people judging Vista based upon trying Beta2 > 6 months ago.

hence why I didn't vote, ingenious eh?

however I believe every opinion is worth hearing;), believe it or not... I've read all of yours and everyone else's... even at the point I stop'd responding to yours.... so far anyway...

Edited by djpc47

hence why I didn't vote, ingenious eh?

however I believe every opinion is worth hearing;), believe it or not... I've read all of yours and everyone else's... even at the point I stop'd responding to yours.... so far anyway...

I think that it would have been worthless if you had failed to mention the short time you used it, because since you said how long you used vista people can take it with a grain of sand so to speak, thus making it not worthless at all.

I think that it would have been worthless if you had failed to mention the short time you used it, because since you said how long you used vista people can take it with a grain of sand so to speak, thus making it not worthless at all.

I dunno but I believe I did try and express that I did use it for a short time at my first post...... also I did say I do want to try it again to further my knowledge base on it I guess:P

thanks on that positive comments though:P