djpc47

Do you like vista?  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like vista?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure yet

183 posts in this topic

I dunno but I believe I did try and express that I did use it for a short time at my first post...... also I did say I do want to try it again to further my knowledge base on it I guess:P

thanks on that positive comments though:P

no problem, and you did, thats why i said that, because you mentioned how long you had used it quite clearly it made your statement have context and have meaning....

is vista x64 much faster than vista x86 like xp x64 vs xp, or no?

Vista needs time to mature. It will take a year or two for most drivers to become available for Vista. I'm still waiting for Lexmark to update the driver for my AIO printer, says available in April on their site. After that, we will see more apps and games to take advantage of the better technologies in Vista. Most if not almost all current apps and games were created for XP so of course if you run them in Vista, you won't see any difference. In fact, they might even run slower. In two years or so, you will see more people using Vista and appreciating it more. It's not to say that Vista isn't ready for use, it just needs time to mature.

To say that Vista is no different than XP because it looks the same is moronic. Thats the same as saying OSX Tiger is the same as OSX Panther because they look the same. And don't say Tiger is just an update for Panther. According to Steve Job, he counted each 10.x point release as a new major OS upgrade. He said that it took Microsoft 5 years to release Vista, while Apple released 5 major versions of OSX in the same time frame.

Vista is "fine" as far as normal use goes, but when there are such major issues as lacking drivers for Wireless Networking, Sound Drivers that cause Crackling, and ACPI Drivers that occasionally loose your battery, then the OS really is not ready to use.

Note, I am talking about an IBM/Lenovo Laptop that SHIPPED with Vista Business x64. Wireless networking was Dead out of the box. The card is "fully functional" but can not see any wireless networks. Sound crackling, I can live with but it is annoying.

But then lacking power management support on a Laptop is a real deal-breaker to me. Think about it this way... First time your computer completely shuts down on you in half an hour when you expect a 2 charge, causing you to loose all of your information you will understand.

Same problems on a Macbook Pro which are surprisingly using the same network and sound card. Both use the Microsoft ACPI driver.

Vista really needs SP1's release or a ton of patches to make it usable.

Also, when there are things like window tearing, window contents not redrawing when scaling, and the kind, then there are serious issues.

You can make Vista LOOK like Win95, but it still won't run all legacy programs. This is one of the main points of it being a new OS instead of an upgrade. App incompatibilities could be as small as switching to Basic UI (Limewire Pro) or just crashing. Though MS has also improved this by letting just the program crash instead of all of Windows (Remember the dreaded BSOD, anyone?)

Nd

And then THIS happens... one of those days. :whistle:

Just to be clear: That is a Vista Ultimate Retail BSOD!! Not even sure what caused it. Error reporting just named the error "Blue Screen" and bullsh*t link to MS website.

Score 1 more for OS X!!

Nd

You mean something like this?

:censored2: Holy Steve Jobs :P, I didn't even know those existed (honestly)! What do we call them on the Apple side of the world?

I have gotten a couple BSODs from Vista, but they were from my messing around in the registry. Just booted into safe mode and got rid of my changes.

I would probably be more happy with Vista if I didn't know what Longhorn was and was going to be like. If you've ever watched any of the concept videos of Longhorn, you can't help but feel Windows users got gypped (or jipped, which form do we use these days?).

edit: searching for the name, I found this :P: http://www.bbspot.com/News/2005/08/apple_bsod.html

on the mac, you get the SWOD (spinning wheel of death), thats what happens when it locks up.

On Vista, just force install some non certified drivers and you will eventually enjoy plenty of BSODs. You'll be lucky f you can boot up to Safe mode to fix it.

on the mac, you get the SWOD (spinning wheel of death), thats what happens when it locks up.

On Vista, just force install some non certified drivers and you will eventually enjoy plenty of BSODs. You'll be lucky f you can boot up to Safe mode to fix it.

No, you get a kernel panic, like mine posted above. YES, IT FRICKING HAPPENS TO EVERY OS.

Well, thinking about it. I do have to give Vista props on SOME things (at least until I figure out how to do it in OS X). Like opening your music folder, and clicking 'Play All' or being able to edit ID3 tags at the bottom of the explorer window.

And thumbnails, I like the folder icons showing the albums/pictures/whatever without having to open them. Like I said, OS X probably has these same (or better) features, I just haven't figured out how to fully customize it yet.

:happymac:

Nd

got to do some more tech support work for same guy again today.... first thing I started at was he was trying to open this one word document... the lies are true..... I opened the text document to reveal a BSOD;)..... BSOD does exist you can rest easy tonight everyones fav program is still in existence..... besides that I went to resize a window..... and took me a while to realize the resize pointer has no meaning in Vista.... one of the guys friends resized the icons....I suppose the location that whats his name said was probably right.... besides that.... the point of view of the old man who owns the comp.... he was saying he disliked the allow or disallow thing... aka UAC;) feature that everyone loves..... and also started telling me he finds that this version of windows seems to give you a lot of information about things but it just confuses things.... I responded with sometimes to much information is as good as none, he agreed;)

so something MS should learn.... rule of thumb.... keep it simple, stupid

as for the resize thing I think that kinda reminds me of the bug I think it was in xp that made copy and paste not work all the time....

also thinking back didn't win2k have something similar to the UAC or was that just for programs it wasn't sure would run well on win2k..... don't remember if it was signature'd executable check or what it was, been to long;P

Even though it may feel slower on old PCs, the NT kernel is faster than the mach_kernel (google it)

sure, but articles are talking about the win 2000 or xp implementation of the nt kernel, not vista's.

but vista is a fault as a whole, not only the kernel, UI, compatibility, etc. i don't wanna repeat the same song again

got to do some more tech support work for same guy again today.... first thing I started at was he was trying to open this one word document... the lies are true..... I opened the text document to reveal a BSOD;)..... BSOD does exist you can rest easy tonight everyones fav program is still in existence..... besides that I went to resize a window..... and took me a while to realize the resize pointer has no meaning in Vista.... one of the guys friends resized the icons....I suppose the location that whats his name said was probably right.... besides that.... the point of view of the old man who owns the comp.... he was saying he disliked the allow or disallow thing... aka UAC;) feature that everyone loves..... and also started telling me he finds that this version of windows seems to give you a lot of information about things but it just confuses things.... I responded with sometimes to much information is as good as none, he agreed;)

so something MS should learn.... rule of thumb.... keep it simple, stupid

as for the resize thing I think that kinda reminds me of the bug I think it was in xp that made copy and paste not work all the time....

also thinking back didn't win2k have something similar to the UAC or was that just for programs it wasn't sure would run well on win2k..... don't remember if it was signature'd executable check or what it was, been to long;P

You know what I think? You are teh fanboi, and full of teh {censored}.

lord_muab,

Vista's kernel level is only that much faster.

No track09, you are full of teh sh**. You b*tch and moan about everybody else's opinion of Vista, that is definition of FANBOY by the way, then you have the nerve to ask "what mac should I buy". Fanboy and a hypocrite. I love OS X but yes it has crashed in the past. Every OS does but this constant Vista fanboyism just shows that Vista needs fanboys to promote it. Sad. Why all the faboyism on this site? I don't see why Admins/Mods don't ban people like you. Linux/Windows/OS X are all welcome on this site, just for the love of God act mature and get over the fact the you OS is not liked by everybody.

EDIT: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=43670

So you are vista fan and OS X is so bad, why want a Mac? Hmmm......

I have used Vista for about an hour. (does that even count?) I was not impressed, but I did not have enough time to delve into all of the new features. I might get it someday... after service pack 3... maybe. If a really good game comes out for it. :P

No track09, you are full of teh sh**. You b*tch and moan about everybody else's opinion of Vista, that is definition of FANBOY by the way, then you have the nerve to ask "what mac should I buy". Fanboy and a hypocrite. I love OS X but yes it has crashed in the past. Every OS does but this constant Vista fanboyism just shows that Vista needs fanboys to promote it. Sad. Why all the faboyism on this site? I don't see why Admins/Mods don't ban people like you. Linux/Windows/OS X are all welcome on this site, just for the love of God act mature and get over the fact the you OS is not liked by everybody.

EDIT: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=43670

So you are vista fan and OS X is so bad, why want a Mac? Hmmm......

No, I said I loved Vista there. I also said that I liked OS X (never said I didn't). What my post are all about is for morons like you who spew lies out about the operating systems, and lie about how Vista is worse, and OS X is better in areas where it's not true. I only made points that Macs have their equivs of BSODs.

Look at Kskully's post, that's what I mean of fanboy.

"I only uzed teh Vista for 10 minutes, I wasn't impressed, maybe I'll wait for teh crappy service Pack 3 from Micro$hit, lozlors"