djpc47

Do you like vista?  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like vista?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure yet

183 posts in this topic

vista crashed on me every time i opened windows explorer and it started showing thumbnails. if you have any pictures or movies it's really frustrating (oh, and i don't really know why the thumbnails stopped working, they just did :P ).

also, for the first time in my life, a screens saver crashed. that just sucks, to be honest :) !

at the moment, vista just doesn't seem worth it, even though i think it's gonna be a pretty decent os.

What's your hard disk space like? If it's more than (let's say) 80% of the full hard drive you should remove some {censored} from it. It worked for me. Tech607 your article is biased but as long as it's your opinion I think it's fair to read.

well anyway I tried it and I found it annoying to the least to relearn where everything is located for me who's been using computers from the amiga days till now(even if I don't sound like it always)....

You haven't had to relearn where everything is between the Amiga and Vista? That seems like a lot of OS changes. Why is this one any worse?

The typical reaction from someone who has used Vista for 5 minutes is that it looks pretty but it's not any better.

The typical reaction from someone who assumed Vista was going to suck and tried it anyway is that Vista sucks.

The typical reaction from someone who has used Vista for a few hours is that it's leaps and bounds ahead of XP, and even OS X. Especially if that person came to it with an open mind instead of assuming that Microsoft was going to screw everything up again.

I like vista I switched to vista ultimate as my primary OS, I have my box triple booting xp pro, vista ultimate, max os x, I put xp and vista on 2 partitions on my 100gb sata hdd, and os x on my 40gb pata used easybcd and it works like a charm. all my old apps from xp work in vista, all the apps I normally use in xp/vista work in mac os x. the only thing that doesn't work is my tv tuner card. but thats not a major problem.

It seems vista buries common tasks into many menus. For example, in xp, if i want to view the wireless networks window, all i have to do is double click on the wireless nic on my system tray. In vista, you click on the network icon, then click on the 'connect to network' option.....etc. In xp, to access folder options, you just select folder options on any open window. In vista, you have to go into the Control Panel. Then there's Flip 3d, it looks way cool, but it's not useful at all. And the fact that you can't turn security center off permanently is really really annoying. I installed vista ultimate on my pc, but after less than a month I deleted it and am back to xp.

Actually you can turn Security Center off (or turn off all prompts in CP), and folder options are available in ANY explorer window still. Just hit ALT, then the file/edit/view/tools menu show up. Tools -> Folder Options.

Nd

I said no on the poll because I simply didnt find it all that much of an improvement from Windows XP like what it said it was to be. OS X in my honest opinnon is still much better than Vista, although I have to admittedly say the gap is now more closer than what it used to be with XP.

If a person didnt not experience XP, and went straight to Vista, then the wow factor will definately be there, and this is underatandable. However, many individuals, including myself, have used XP before, and there is no major difference other than a GUI revamp, and a DX10 support. All the cool "gadgets", Flip3D, and heck, even the Vista theme can be done in Windows XP itself, just not by a stock install. I feel Microsoft really messed up on the copying on this one. I will try my best to explain what I liked and disliked about Vista.

Positive Thoughts

Windows Media Center

Windows Media Center was exceptionally well done, I have to give credit for that. OS X still does not have an equivalent of a media app. Front Row is just on its early stages, and no where as mature as what Media Center is.

Misc thoughts

Some of the other things I thought that Microsoft finally caught up on was the Icon sizing. They finally went above that 48x48 pixel maxium amount in XP to 256 in Vista. I also liked that they made many of the icons look more modern, and in style with Mac OS X's icons. However, that being said..there is somewhat of an inconsistency in the quality of the icons I would say. Some of them look very well done, like the My Music, My Pictures, etc. icons...but then the other, like the help icons, and the trashcan icons, and many others just dont look consistent.

Negative Thoughts

Flip3D

This looks like a rippoff of Otaku Softwares Top Desk software for XP, which emulates perfectly OS X's Expose style window tabbing, as well as another one which looks exactly like what is now Flip3D from Microsoft. This software was developed well before Vista was even conceived...so I have to assume that Microsoft got the idea from here. Also Flip3D looks very similar to Sun Microsystem's Project Looking Glass. On top of that, Flip3D is also very inconvienent to use becuase you have to roll over the windows to come to and select the window you want...you might as well just use the taskbar for that. OS X's expose on the other hand...actually is useful becuase it alligns all the window into a grid, so everything is in front of you...not layered like it is Vista. As a result, Flip3D IMO is an absolutely usless eye candy, that serves no real purpose in user productivity.

Windows Sidebar

Ripoff of Mac OS X's Dashboard. The windows sidebar IMO is only good if the end user has a widescreen LCD. Using it on a standard 4:3 aspect ratio LCD will totally kill your working space, and I felt a bit claustrophobic on the desktop when I tried this on my Sony SDM-S73 @ 1280 x 1024. Again, maybe this is jus my personal feeling...but I did not like the space constriction.

Windows Gadgets

Copy of OS X's Widgets. Not only that, but the quality of the end gadgets are extremely poor when compared to the ones in Apple's widgets. All in all it makes the desktop look a bit ugly. Moreover, (and this is where Microsoft shows its usual half arse job of doing things) The gadgets are not in their own layer like the widgets, therby using up precious desktop space with cluttered items, wheras in OS X, the widgets layer can be called and then hidden, making your desktop stay clear. And no, Konfabulator was not the first one to come up with this idea, Apple was...even in the early OSs. (there was a whole explanation on this in this forum)

Windows Desktop Search

Copy of OS X's spotlight. Some windows users might say that Microsoft came up with this feature before Tiger...and yes, that is true (they had this feature planned for what was suppose to be released before Tiger as Windows Longhorn), but they failed to implement that in the operating system since then...and Apple was the first one to bring that meta-data search capibility to OS X 10.4, and yet its still more powerful that the one which Vista ships with.

Volume Shadow Copy

This feature was already there in Windows XP, however it was disabled and locked from usage. Hoever, it was usable in Windows Server 2003, so this is nothing new to Vista, as Microsoft claims it was. I will give credit that this is one step ahead of Tiger, however im sure Leopard will put things straight again (Time Machine).

WinFS

This was suppose to be THE MOST BIGGEST Windows feature of all time (and I was really looking forward to this feature as well)...and it was dropped due to time restraints and compabitlities issues. This would have indifinately made a colossal difference in the way Windows handles its file system, but since the feature was removed from Vista...the operating system's file structure and handling system is nothing out of the ordinary.

Misc Windows Animation Effects

Nothing new thats not already there in Tiger, in one form or another.

Windows DreamScene

This can already be done on OS X much more efficiently, and even in Windows XP. The only reason why this is efficient in Vista and OS X is that its GPU accelerated, wheras in XP...your GPU does almost next to nothing most of the time...and only actually starts sweating when you play a 3D game. Thus, your computer speed would decrease if you were to do this in Windows XP, though not in Vista.

Aero Glass

I liked it...for the first 1hr...and then it was useless eye candy that just started hindering my productivity. As a student, I need to concentrate on whats at hand, and not play with the GUI by layering windows on top of windows and seeing the blurring increase (I know for a fact im not the only one who's done this lol). After a while, it just gets plain boring to look at. I was able to run Photoshop CS2 in Vista, and Vista reverted the GUi back to basic, however the rest of the system was still in Aero Glass....it was just Photoshop that was in basic mode. This is somewhat inconsistent I would say. Also, it uses way to much graphics horsepower of your GPU. I know thats what a GPU is for, but common, 12MB minimum graphics memory to enjoy Aero? Thats a bit to much. This has not happend to me when I used Vista...but I went to one of my friend's house who happend to be running a Dell wtih Windows Vista Premium loaded. For some reason, it ran really slow...like really slow. There would be a 1 second delay between every click whether it was the desktop or otherwise. I knew or sure that it was not his hardware (Intel Core 2 Extreme 2.93Ghz, 2Gb Corsair XMS2, Radeon X1900Xt, etc, etc) , and not Vista...but then when I went online, many individuals were haviing similar problems as well. Again, this never happend to me, and Vista was somewhat snappy on my Macbook Pro, but just saying...it happened.

Not much new - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_Vista ; just because YOU haven't done any research and don't know how much was changed/added doesn't mean that there was little done.

Flip3D - This isn't suppose to be compared to Expose, it's simply a glorified Alt-Tab task switcher and considering how wrong you were about the below 'copied' features and how vague you are I really don't believe you unless you provide proof.

Sidebar/Gagets - Dashboard came in 2005 whereas the Sidebar/Gadgets were present in a Longhorn build out YEARS before. Oh yeah, here is a screenshot from an alpha build from 2003.

Windows Desktop Search - Spotlight came out in 2005 where as WDS was present in an early form in Windows 2000, it was than present in a more developed form in Win XP and than it was shown in early Longhorn betas -- ALL WHICH PREDATE SPOTLIGHT.

WinFS - While it's not 'technically' there Microsoft for the most part achieved everything they wanted to with WinFS, as said by Jim Allchin, I'll see if I can find the original article as it has more detail/explanations.

DreamScene - Do you have a link to back up your claim it can be done more efficiently in OSX ? I'm just curious, I'd like to read something like that. :whistle: I also love how you say it can be done in XP already, as a bad thing to Vista and then go on again to say how much better it is in Vista.

Photoshop CS2 is not designed for Vista so expecting Aero to magically work within it, and then blaming Microsoft, is silly and in fact, you should be thanking Microsoft for keeping Aero Glass running with an unsupported app.

Also, could someone explain the 'eye candy' with Aero Glass ? Sure, there is translucent windows, otherwise.. ? I don't know how people can find that distractive -- short attention span or something else ?? Basically, could someone explain the 'eye candy' and how it distracts them, thank you. :)

I think EFI made a few points, but went down in his last points. Robotskip give the guy a break , its fine Longhorn show Windows live search first and yes it was before Spotlight actually this feature was showed about 4 years ago but it was Apple who implemented this stuff first and in a more productive and im talking about Exposse and the dock wich are both much better than almos any feature on vista, and this doesnt mean that i dont like Vista im only talking about funcionality here.

:thumbsup_anim:

See ya.

Hey guys, 1+1=3 but please, please don't prove me wrong.

The bottom line is, Microsoft didn't copy those features from Apple as he claimed otherwise (I'm not saying MS was the first to do any of those things listed) I don't particularly care about his post (Though there are a couple of things I am curious about) and opinions are grand.

Whether they had a final product out the door doesn't matter, Microsoft had working versions years before which clearly proves, unless Microsoft has a Time Machine (Pun intended :thumbsup_anim:) they didn't copy them from Apple.

finally robotskip gets something right... 1+1 can equal 3.... just ask any couple.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_Vista <<< is only half the story.... not everyone will find everything useful.... and I think thats what EFI was trying to talk about for the most part.... usefulness vs non usefulness to him/her

your second and third lines appear as though your getting better.... showing some curiosity to contradict what you may believe and trying to find out about something, without being too too judgmental... also pun intended thing I can respect to tell ya this is the best I seen ya, that I've read up to now... props I can respect that:P..... please realize that line of pun intended applies to most of what I say:P, take it easy as always good day:).....

my own main point up to now though I may be half ass at times.... for you anyway and also Track wtf the number is..... is to chillax and the best way to say things is in a neutral non judgmental way, when you do things in this way people tend to look at what they're doing and think twice;)... and thats the point.... when your just saying what you think then state it all you want, its diff in this situation but when your correcting someone you shouldn't correct em in a seemingly offensive way... when your trying to correct someone it don't help to say they're completely wrong, this is the absolute thing that is true... and thats what I see you guys do to much of, intentionally or not

anyway saying things you said the way you said them in this last post might actually get people to look into the facts;P, still need a bit of work but doing great:) as I said willing to respect that:P

as I believe you went about this last post fairly well.... please try and understand anything I just said in this post isn't meant to be offensive ok:)

I actually post like that quite often (Thanks for the post by the way :)) but many times I won't bother with tact as I can either be harsh and hope the person receives a harsh lesson (Point out you're lying or saying you're completely wrong) or I can post the other way so they aren't as insulted and still hope they learn a lesson*, unfortunately this isn't as a convincing lesson as the other way and they tend to continue on -- there are trade-offs for both approaches and I would use the first one in every post if I cared if random people, on a random forum, on the internet liked me or not.

* By learn a lesson I mean many things, not simply teaching someone to stop spreading FUD but to help them realise what they're saying is wrong (Like if someone believes 1+1 equals 3, the nice thing to do would be to explain to them that it's 2, and the reason why it's 2) and to point them to the correct information and more if they want.

Liking me or not is actually quite silly as for the most part, I have very little open opinion on here as I'm either involved in something OSX86 related or I'm correcting people like I did to EFI, so if you don't like me for correcting you you better start to because people are a lot more harsh in the magical real world. :P Oh, and there is no incentive to be kind, there are thousands of people saying "LOLOL GADGETS R LIKE R1P 0FF FROM AAAAAPLE" so I won't bother with kindness or tact for the most part. D:

Oh, and if someone posts and innocent, normal reply like saying "Well, as far as I'm aware there isn't much new to Vista" I'll be extremely kind in my reply but if someone comes off as harsh and insulting as EFI and others, for them to expect any type of kindness is silly, aka, they're asking for it, the same reason why I'm never surprised by some of the posts I get in return.

Also, most people should find most things 'useful,' maybe not directly (The home user will never know about kernel changes but they are useful to them, unaware or not).

Actually, going by the different sections on that Wikipedia page (As in, UI, Security, etc) the only one which isn't really useful to me is Mobile Computing and a few small things like the Sidebar. Well, at home things like WCS and the improved group policies don't matter to me but at work they do.

robotskip, man you for once sounded like you actually knew something.... and aren't just a fanboy as people have repeated.... thing is if you reply to what you know is wrong in a offensive way the person will likely be left thinking they were right and that you are just a fanboy, which is what is happening to you.... the magical real world would be similar in this way too, if you show a small amount of info a person will respect ya ten times more then if you spit on huge amount of stuff alot of the times..... this is especially true when dealing with credibility and thats what your main issue is here I think is... are you right or are you wrong:P

when one person say I believe its this way its more likely to be true then if someone says something and then after saying it starts saying oh but you might not believe me cause I'm a lier heres proof which is what your unintentionally putting off to others;P... its not exactly liking or not its more believing or not.....

it don't matter how right you are, it just depends how you say it to a point

Photoshop CS2 is not designed for Vista so expecting Aero to magically work within it, and then blaming Microsoft, is silly and in fact, you should be thanking Microsoft for keeping Aero Glass running with an unsupported app.

Aero glass doesnt work though, it reverts to basic mode, thats my point. HOWEVER, it did worth fine with Illustrator CS2...so its not the software (even though its technically not supported). Why would it work on one Adobe product in the same generation, but not work with another product of the same generation? Adobe Acrobat 8 also worked under Aero, so why is Vista reverting Photoshop back to basic mode? This is what I dont understand, the inconsistency.

If you say that the Flip3D is a glorified version of ALt-Tab...then why have both at the same time. You can use ALt-Tab, and Flip-3D in Vista...whats the purpose of that? You might as well use ALT-Tab, because you can see all the apps open.

And you want proof? here it is:

http://www.otakusoftware.com/ - scroll down to TopDesk

http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glass/

And about Sidebar vs Dashboard...the image you linked of Longhorn does not have actual "gadgets" that microsoft uses in Vista today. Its merely a sidebar with information displayed. Several applications could already imitate this upon Longhorn's developmental stages, so it was nothign new. The difference here is that you cannot detach them to the desktop, like in Vista. As such, the sidebar is not the same as Dashboard...and Microsoft did not originate this idea...Apple did. Only much later, after Tiger's release did actual small/mini apps called gadgets in Vista start to conceptualize. Before that..it was merely a sidebar, and thats all nothing more, nothing less. :)

And I still stand by my statement of saying that Vista is distracing and hinders productivity (atleast for me). It just feels heavy, and pardon me for not coming up with a better word for bloated. Now the UAC is another problem, but I will say that Its not as horrific as what others have mentioned it out to be..but its nevertheless a bit irritating after a while. There could be a serious problem here, in that the user, once used to clicking accept...will do it so often that when a malicious app does cause the UAC to display a dialog box...you will most likely click accept. This is not a good thing, unless you always read every single time what the UAC is displaying...which I guarantee most people do not (first of all the normal user wouldnt even be able to comprehend what the problem at hand even is, let alone deal with it, and what is the default option in cases like that? the accept button) :P

The eye candy in Aero Glass is the translucent effect. Seriously, does it serve any purpose to the more serious computer users who look beyond all the glitz and actually at the functionality? If it does, please let me know, I would like to know what it is, and Ill honestly accept that I was wrong. The animation of the windows fading out (when closed) and fading in (when opened) is good, as that is ok, but constantly having the transparent effects is a bit distracting...and I'm serious when I say that having 12 windows opened at the same time...it is very difficult to select the window at first look...you have to actually look for a good 2 second to find out which window you want to work on, becuase of the GUI. Again, this is just me, and probably doesnt happen with anyone else...but I'm just saying.

I never denied that WDS took birth before spotlight. It did. But the fact of the matter here is that its been in development for what 5 years?, and then finally makes its way into Vista, wheras Apple implemented this feature faster and timely, and as a result make Vista look like it took the idea away from OS X. This is not Apple's fault, its Microsoft's. As the old saying goes...you snooze, you loose. Moreoever if XP's search was more developed from the original one in Win2K, then the one for Windows 2000 must have been pretty {censored}...becuase XP's search function is a mere joke. In this case, it could be easily be justified that Microsoft had copied Apple because the features that were in Spotlight in 2005 were unheard of in XP's search function...let alone Windows 2000.

For example, If company A comes up with idea 1, and company B makes that idea 1+A+B, and then later on company A comes up with 1+A+B, then you have to say that company A copied company B, becuase although the idea 1 was from Company A, those X features werent present in idea 1. It was company B that brought those features in, and when the final product...which is ultimately idea 1+A+B comes out...it is sought that Company B was the one who came up with the idea. :wallbash:

So what I'm trying to say is...you can come up with as many ideas as you want...but if you dont do anything with it and someone else polishes those ideas significantly and makes them truly remarkable...then your nobody, and this was the case with Microsoft. The search function in XP couldnt handle meta-data instruction sets, so it was nothing compared to Spotlight. Vista finally has what Microsoft should have done years ago.

After using Vista Ultimate for a day, I have to lean towards a no. While it is a change from XP and Aero is nice in some aspects, I find the transparency and window effects to be too distracting. I also don't like all the popups that occur with driver installations. IE7 is ok, though the popup messages about anti-phising and password saving etc had me aggravated.

I am also having a problem that it takes about 2 minutes for the boot loader to come up as it has to load the correct partition, then I cant even use my keyboard to select the OS (either XP or Vista) so I have to wait for one to load, then use EasyBCD to change the default OS to the other one if I want to load it.

Overall, I find it to not a worthwhile effort to completely upgrade from XP, as XP is faster with all my apps, but yes I will install when I get my legal copy from the University. I do find vLite to be helpful to remove some of the {censored} thats there :happymac:.

BlackShadowWolf, personly vlite is probably only way I'll use Vista alot..... cause no way I'm gonna put the damn os on my main anyway..... I use my main as a local file server.... I'm not about to give 6gb to a shiny coat..... I was about to use Windows FLP on the box just that I preffer x64

I for one do not like the whole aero look, although at first i did. I at first had a hell of a time finding things that i think are much better organized in xp such as display setting and control panel. I would not and am not going to install this again for a while, its still in its beta stages i found a lot of devices without driver support and to pay for vista is a definite no for me the price is not worth a flashy xp. after all its still dll hell.

weren't all the GUI right now came from GUI Software -- i never know it's name -- from xerox, maybe you should watch "Pirates Of Silicon Valley" .... CMIIW

I've read some reply quotes

"If linux won't go any further since it's open source, linux has to be closed source"

i forget the full sentences, but it won't!!! admit it that opensource is the best software development methodology for now...

if it isn't, then microsoft wont put the opensource community to be their second most feared enemy after the economy.

well anyway if i asked to voted to using vista or not , i rather say no...

note :

i'm using Linux With Beryl and Mac OS in other partitions, i'm not planning install XP or even Vista and i won't... i can't do anything in XP or Vista, they only a game console for me, i rather buy a XBOX 360 or PS3... Beryl is more than enough and advanced from Vista's Aero...

And i know Linux Kernel has been updated with useless update.... but at least i don't have to install any driver... it's just work.... :rolleyes:

just my 5 cent

sorry for my rude ness

I decided to shell out the $300 for a full Windows Vista business license, only this time as I do want the genuine advantage without the hacks etc, as well as that Software Licensing service as me suspicious of what is being sent to my disk.

I used VLite and got the dvd image down to around 900mb as It removed all other versions off the disk. I have to say it is really smooth on my Macbook Pro C2D. The effects dont freeze. I don't like the restrictive permissions on the folders as I like to remove a lot of stuff from the Windows folder that I never use. Other than that, its ok, just ok :rolleyes:.

i have used vista every day for the past month at work and i have 2 say its aysically just xp with a new theme and there are loads of features taken and copied ( very poorley ) from Mac OSX yet again Microsoft has done a half ass job at making a NEW OS. even if WinFS was in vista ( which it wasnt due to time restraints( WTF just delay the release until its ready and get off ur ass and do it give customers what they want A WORKING OS THAT DOESNT CRASH AND ISNT A P.O.S.

thanks god i have a mac book pro c2d :) and i can use a good o when i get home might take this 2 work and do my work on this would actually get something done and i wouldnt have 2 "Allow or cancel" every 5 mins u wud think after allowing a .rar file over 100 times a week vista would be smart enough 2 learn that iknow what im doing.

Though one wouldn't necessarily kick Vista out of the bread for breaking wind, one wouldn't necessarily let it in your bed in the first place. If you knew what you were letting yourself in for. And that's being unfair, but let's hear it for unfairness! It's unfair because Vista is backwards compatible; most of the things you could run on earlier versions of Windows you can run on Vista. Well, no, but almost. They tried. The net result of that trying is a likable enough pensioner who has succumbed to the attractions (?) of plastic surgery, an operating system that feels like XP with just a Windowblinds series of add ons to hide the Teletbubby hell of XP's GUI.

You can love Vista but it doesn't love you back; it's slow to boot, even if you haven't overloaded the startup with programs. It's slow to do a lot of things, even on a recent computer. You can help feeling Microsoft are holding back something exciting in the wings, because it sure didn't make it into Vista. So, I dislike Vista? No. But it is faint praise indeed if reviewers spend much of their reviews bemoaning the operating system that came before the operating system they are reviewing; I hated the GUI of XP, it looked so... completely awful. Vista looks better and you can change the way it looks without third party tweaking. That's a big plus if like me you believe that Spring comes into your house if you decorate it every so often.

So, if someone asked me should they upgrade to Vista I would say - absolutely not. Formatting the hard drive and doing a fresh install is one thing, but installing Vista even over it's self (by which I mean upgrading from Vista Basic to Vista Ultimate) leaves you with something that takes forever to boot and is at times sluggish. No, stick with XP and use the money you save to add more memory and buy Windowblinds 5.5; you can skin XP to look virtually identical to Vista, if you so choose. Or you can make XP look a lot like Tiger. There is a torn paper theme that I am quite impressed with.

Better still, buy yourselves a Mac dear fellows! If you need weaned off Microsoft, buy Parallels and run XP or Vista on it. Both run surprisingly well, about a third slower than running them natively, provided you adjust the performance settings and aren't doing graphics intensive work.