10.4.9 update from software update

*MiK

160 posts in this topic

I have a 10.4.8 system.

Can I run Prasys' script and grab the latest kernel, and then straight update from there? My audio is AC97 as well, so will that be affected?

I don't feel like having to jump back into WinXP to redo a VMware native install...

10.4.9 combo update instructions:

credit goes to paulicat because these are essentially his instructions verbatim!!!!

I suggest you read paulicat's instructions prior to trying this

Disclaimer: as always backup all your system and any/all important files prior to updating anything as this update could crash your system...you've been warned. AMD folks I suggest you wait for someone else to test this on AMD hardware or a fix...sorry

I've only tested this on my current desktop setup which is:

Mobo: Asus P5LD2-VM (Green) || CPU: Intel P4 630 (@ 3.0 GHz)

RAM: 4x512MB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-667 5300 || HD: Seagate SATA 80GB

DVD: NEC ND-3550A || Video: GMA 950 (QE & CI)

1: Install 10.4.5 as a normal bootable install. it might work on later installs this is all i've tested

2: Boot into newly installed system.

Backup files for after 10.4.9 update

3: sudo -s

mkdir /backup

cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/* /backup

4: Run apple software update and install 10.4.9 update

****DO NOT RESTART AFTER INSTALLATION****

5: Update your kernel, I prefer this script created by Prasys. it does all the work for you and updates the kernel with the newest version from semthex' website. READ THIS THREAD FIRST THOUGH!!! there are problems known with this process.

6: for my GMA950 I ran this in terminal: cp -R /backup/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext /System/Library/Extensions

7: Copy this AppleSMBIOS.kext to /System/Library/Extensions.

8: Copy this IOATAFamily.kext to /System/Library/Extensions.

9: Repair permissions with Disk Utility.

10: Reboot, don't be surprised when it reboots on it's own

Once again I followed the 10.4.8 paulicat update instructions (link above) and credit should go to him for this I'm just reposting his work for the 10.4.9 update. and strong work prasys on the kernel update script

Please, kernalzero, read the forum Rules, you can't post links to or attach those files.

System.kext, use the one from 10.4.8
hm, here's what my KB spat out:
Q: "I can't seem to be able to open dmg files anymore.. :-("

A: "Replace the file kernel.framework with the one from your backup and and you will be able to mount .dmgs again :-)"

.. so I will see in a couple of minutes .. :D

I have a 10.4.8 system.

Can I run Prasys' script and grab the latest kernel, and then straight update from there?

the other way around ..
My audio is AC97 as well, so will that be affected?
it's easy to swap kernels ..

First of all, sorry for my bad english...

The 10.4.9 Update is working fine for me. I noticed a little performance gain in Xbench(especially Quartz- and User Interface Test).

There are also big improvements in Rosetta. For the first time, i was able to install Starry Night Pro Plus 6(PPC Binary). Office 2004 starts much faster now and there are no "lags" in Word anymore.

But sadly, the DiskImageMounter quits working. I have to use Toast 8 Titanium for *.dmg files. So, I would like to ask for help on this issue.

Greets!

But sadly, the DiskImageMounter quits working. I have to use Toast 8 Titanium for *.dmg files. So, I would like to ask for help on this issue.
I hereby confirm good ole Kiko's words from a couple of postings above:
System.kext, use the one from 10.4.8
:thumbsup_anim: Kiko you have your avatar pic for a good reason, you ARE hot :D

gotta add the system.kext trick to my KB

Also had to remove AppleUSBEHCI.kext from within IOUSBFamily.kext so the generic EHCI driver was working again (necessary for my laptops BIOS). Man Apple added a whole bunch of USB kexts into IOUSBFamily.kext, a real USB frenzy ..

Well and also had to add glitchman's kexts to make the kernel boot into ACPI mode - see my sig below.

That's been it :)

Edited by BugsBunny

Please, kernalzero, read the forum Rules, you can't post links to or attach those files.

I'm sorry about that I didn't even think about when I posted it. I was in a rush to get that posted :-(

10.4.9 Update bricked my JAS 10.4.8 install. I think I will wait till someone comes out with 10.4.9 before I reinstall (which shouldn't be that long).

what hardware are you using for those with the same hardware?

Yeah, note that this is for intel only at the moment. and Kernalzero, i think u should keep your 10.4.8 System.kext

should I just replace system.kext from my backed up file?

What to do when I don't have 'system.kext' and 'kernel.framework' anymore.

Can I simply grab them from the JaS Installation DVD with Pacifist?

I mean I don't have any problems with 10.4.9 except the thing that Disk Images won't mount anymore (as descibed above)

Edited by KasperNL

still no wake up from sleep here.

KasperNL, you were supposed to make a backup of your Extensions folder before messing with this update - mind the basics.. :mellow: so yes, just grab the kext with pacifist

Anyone can report did 10.4.9 fixed the system sleep problem?

I actually think it might have fixed the issue. I thought my computer had crashed but I massed on the keyboard and it started back up, didn't think much about it after that because I turned off all the power saving features. I haven't retested it, can anyone else confirm?

sleeep doesnt work for me. in 10.4.8 my processor was dectected as a intel core solo(it is a intel 1.66 core duo). and now it calls it and intel core duo, cool eh. Well except it still only runs on one core when you check. Tryed booting on 2 cores doesnt work. I have noticed some problems with running motox but i think it is from a different patch since it was getting buggy before the 10.4.9 patch.

Edited by jdyck

Can someone confirm 10.4.9 can fix the slow boot problem - which problem can fix by disable the update prebinding?

And someone can show me the link for step by step Update to 10.4.9 from 10.4.8 Jas DVD Reseed

Thanks

That problem is caused by Unsanity, not Apple. If you don't want update_prebindings everytime remove Application Enhancer, or use an old beta version.