10.4.9 update from software update

*MiK

160 posts in this topic

I think my os x has a problem after updating to 10.4.9

I want to copy some backup kexts back to see if it fixes the hang, but from the dvd, i can see files only from the dvd.

After I boot from the installation dvd, and run terminal, what's the commands to move to

the osx partition on my harddrive?

Thanks. It works fine after your instructions. I updated after 10.4.8, JaS Intel SSE3 only.

I discovered later the CI and QE didn't working with my videocard. I edited the info.plists in the right kexts (in my case: ATIRadeon9700.kext and ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin), removed Extensions.kextache and Extensions.mkext, applied chown and chmod, repaired permissions, but in vain, QE and CI remains not supported. In the last instance, I replaced the right kexts (see above) with the ones in my backup from 10.4.8 (thanks God I didn't deleted it after the update) and BOOM!, QE and CI works! :thumbsdown_anim:

If someone of yours experience same problems call your backup for kexts. Don't delete the backup (/backup) created before the update. It will helps.

May somebody post guide for newbs like me, who allready installed 10.4.9 patch and rebooted :-(

I have WinXP and MacDrive , so I may make changes on OSX drive.

PS include links to 10.4.8 nessesary files too, please!

hi, i did all the stuff everyting works great.

but there's just 1 small STUPID problem :thumbsdown_anim:

i can't launch "About this mac" :thumbsup_anim:

it crashes gives a black screen(for a second) en returns to my desktop, so how can i fix this?

I want to copy some backup kexts back to see if it fixes the hang, but from the dvd, i can see files only from the dvd.

After I boot from the installation dvd, and run terminal, what's the commands to move to

...I don't know either...

anyone can help us :thumbsdown_anim::thumbsup_anim::rolleyes:

The device you are booted from is mounted as the ROOT file system (/) in this case that's the Installation DVD's.

All other devices (i.e. Harddisks) are mounted in /Volumes/

So if you harddisk is called 'Macintosh HD', you will find it in /Volumes/Macintosh HD/

After you booted from the Install DVD, simply launch the terminal and type:

cd /Volumes/
ls

Updated straight from 10.4.8 and everything seems working great.

Even system sleep and monitor sleep both WORK finally! :(

ATM shows Intel Core Duo, even though I have a PD820, free cpu upgrade!! :)

Thanks for another great kernel, netkas. :)

post-23976-1173977854_thumb.jpg

So

I'll be the hero =)

Will test tomorrow my AMD system and tell what it will be.

Well

I've got a full backup, so I'm going in right now =)

Started the update.

7 minutes to go

Cross your fingers, AMD users, because I'm going to reboot now.

Although it was a dumb idea ... everything might be =)

Now from windows =)

It got totally bricked.

Restarts when scanning extensions.

Gonna try backing up old extensions.

Dead =)

Waiting for some people, smarter then me.

10.4.9 combo update instructions:

credit goes to paulicat because these are essentially his instructions verbatim!!!!

I suggest you read paulicat's instructions prior to trying this

Disclaimer: as always backup all your system and any/all important files prior to updating anything as this update could crash your system...you've been warned. AMD folks I suggest you wait for someone else to test this on AMD hardware or a fix...sorry

I've only tested this on my current desktop setup which is:

Mobo: Asus P5LD2-VM (Green) || CPU: Intel P4 630 (@ 3.0 GHz)

RAM: 4x512MB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-667 5300 || HD: Seagate SATA 80GB

DVD: NEC ND-3550A || Video: GMA 950 (QE & CI)

1: Install 10.4.5 as a normal bootable install. it might work on later installs this is all i've tested

2: Boot into newly installed system.

Backup files for after 10.4.9 update

3: sudo -s

mkdir /backup

cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/* /backup

4: Run apple software update and install 10.4.9 update

****DO NOT RESTART AFTER INSTALLATION****

5: Update your kernel, I prefer this script created by Prasys. it does all the work for you and updates the kernel with the newest version from semthex' website. READ THIS THREAD FIRST THOUGH!!! there are problems known with this process.

6: for my GMA950 I ran this in terminal: cp -R /backup/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext /System/Library/Extensions

7: per Kiko's suggestion replace system.kext with old copy, type in terminal: cp -R /backup/System.kext /System/Library/Extensions

8: Copy this AppleSMBIOS.kext to /System/Library/Extensions.

9: Copy this IOATAFamily.kext to /System/Library/Extensions.

10: Repair permissions with Disk Utility.

11: Reboot, don't be surprised when it reboots on it's own

Once again I followed the 10.4.8 paulicat update instructions (link above) and credit should go to him for this I'm just reposting his work for the 10.4.9 update, files above can not be found in this thread (rules violation, my apologies) . also strong work Prasys on the kernel update script and of course semthex for the kernel itself...etc

I have tried this, and was able to get the update installed, installed the newest kernel witht he script, and replaced the kekt that it says to replace, and now on reboot I get the apple screen with the spinning circle below it. It has been sitting at that screen since yesterday afternoon.

Anyone have any suggestions?

ben

Works perfectly without any reported issues or incompatibilities :)

I only replaced mach_kernel with semthex's kernel, AppleSMBIOS.kext, system.kext, IOATAFamily.kext from 10.4.8 and nothing else- Audio, Video, Networking etc all working!!!

I must replace also AppleHDA.kext to get sound back. I use one of the first mifki kernel. Works like a charm.

A noticeable speed increase in opening menu, folders, accessing dmgs/drives/networks, running/refreshing server admin is more responsive and much faster, the interface is much snappier, dock magnification isn't hanging anymore- this machine is literally flying... back to crunching- BOINC!

Cheers =)

I think that system fills faster because update run some maintenance script. My system i faster (back to fresh install speed) after every update but it become slower with time.

I wonder what update run after package installation. Update prebindings don't give such boost.

With such spec like yours every system will fly.

where can download mifki kernel 10.4.9.

thanks!

maybe I write not clear. My english is bad. By the first I mean first hacked version (the oldest mifki). I think that it is closest to original. Less third part code is better. Of course your system must have HPET, SSE3 and Intel.