TabletMagic for TabletPCs

521 posts in this topic

Do we type that ratio in and, if so, where do we enter it, left square or right?

Try the left field, then if that doesn't work try the right one. And if that still doesn't work try putting the first number in the left field and the second number in the right field. If that still doesn't work, post asking for help here.

Try the left field, then if that doesn't work try the right one. And if that still doesn't work try putting the first number in the left field and the second number in the right field. If that still doesn't work, post asking for help here.

I'm still confused, sorry. There are 4 fields under each square - L,T,R,B (I assume Left,Top,Right,Bottom) under the left square, and l,t,r,b (left,top,right.bottom) under the right square. Should the numbers I enter just be in the "Right & Bottom" and/or "right & bottom" fields? I've tried this and it doesn't clear up the issue.

I'm still confused, sorry. There are 4 fields under each square - L,T,R,B (I assume Left,Top,Right,Bottom) under the left square, and l,t,r,b (left,top,right.bottom) under the right square. Should the numbers I enter just be in the "Right & Bottom" and/or "right & bottom" fields? I've tried this and it doesn't clear up the issue.

Sorry, I misunderstood your situation. You're just looking in the wrong place. The numbers being bandied about are not for your tablet geometry, they are for the tablet hardware's full range. You need to go to the "Extras" tab and enter the numbers there, then set your geometry as usual. You may need to kill and restart TabletMagic to get the full effect.

Make sure you're using the latest TabletMagic, because unlike those before it actually remembers the numbers between restarts.

I'm voting that I add a new tab labeled "TabletPC" with all the bells and whistles. A button to enable the digitizer's serial port, plus a display of your Machine Type string, kernel version, blah blah... maybe next week. Maybe never, you scoundrels!

Sorry, I misunderstood your situation. You're just looking in the wrong place. The numbers being bandied about are not for your tablet geometry, they are for the tablet hardware's full range. You need to go to the "Extras" tab and enter the numbers there, then set your geometry as usual. You may need to kill and restart TabletMagic to get the full effect.Make sure you're using the latest TabletMagic, because unlike those before it actually remembers the numbers between restarts.I'm voting that I add a new tab labeled "TabletPC" with all the bells and whistles. A button to enable the digitizer's serial port, plus a display of your Machine Type string, kernel version, blah blah... maybe next week. Maybe never, you scoundrels!.
Ahh - thanks, Scott. I'll mess with these parameters and see what happens. Also, does the file "Info-2008-03-03-18329.plist" that running the "enable Tablet Digitizer" script placed on my desktop need to stay on my desktop? I think that's the file that, when I moved it to a 'documents' folder, caused an "error starting Boot" when I then restarted the computer.
I'm voting that I add a new tab labeled "TabletPC" with all the bells and whistles. A button to enable the digitizer's serial port, plus a display of your Machine Type string, kernel version, blah blah... maybe next week. Maybe never, you scoundrels!.
Yeah, man, THAT would be killer!

the ratio that worked for me was: 30250x18800, for a toshiba R20.

Kenny

Hey thanks for the info, sadly those values don't seem to fit the IBM X41. With those values there is more control of the mouse but it still drifts as I move to the left. I was also playing with the mapping tab but I don't really know what to change, but I couldn't make it better only worse hahaha. How did you calculate those values?

I read through this whole thread, and they were either in this one, or a different one that was referenced in this one. After entering them, you should have maximized the mapping on the other tab. The values are a ratio of the lcd screen, mine is a 1440 x 900.

hope this helps,

kenny

Hey All,

I'm trying to get my fujitsu t4210 tablet work. I read Scott's recent post that you have to type this in the terminal:

ioreg -lx | grep -A15 -E "-o (DIGI|WACM)" | grep -m1 \"name\"

...but when I type that, it tells me "grep: invalid option --", so I didn't bother trying the other steps. Also, I don't know if this screwed anything up, but I sort of did the whole process backwards at first. I installed the TabletMagic.pkg and then ran the Enable TabletPC Digitizer script. Anyway, the panel doesn't recognize my tablet. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-rainwalker

I was also playing with the mapping tab but I don't really know what to change

Yeah, leave the Mapping settings alone for the purposes of getting your hardware set up. They only apply to a tablet that has its range set up correctly in the first place. So first use the text fields in the Extras tab to set your hardware's full range, then use the MAX button in the Mapping tab to make sure the screen mapping is set to the whole screen. It may take some trial-and-error to get your hardware range correct.

... I'm trying to get my fujitsu t4210 tablet [to] work. ... I didn't bother trying the other steps. ... Any suggestions?

There was a missing backslash in the command previously, so it should have been...

ioreg -lx | grep -A15 -E "\+-o (DIGI|WACM)" | grep -m1 \"name\"

Download the latest version of the enabler script, always located here.

What output do you see when you run the "Enable Tablet Digitizer" command now? If it runs correctly, the next thing to do is check the behavior of TabletMagic. First, when you run TabletMagic do you see your digitizer's serial port in the "Port" popup menu? Yes? Good, select it.

Does TabletMagic say "No Tablet Found"? Then go to the Extras Tab and enable "Don't Query." Kill and re-Enable TabletMagic.

If after all these steps your tablet still doesn't work, post or email for assistance.

Ahh - thanks, Scott. I'll mess with these parameters and see what happens. Also, does the file "Info-2008-03-03-18329.plist" that running the "enable Tablet Digitizer" script placed on my desktop need to stay on my desktop? I think that's the file that, when I moved it to a 'documents' folder, caused an "error starting Boot" when I then restarted the computer.

Just a copy of the modified Info.plist file, tagged with date and time. You can throw it away if you like. It's just an ordinary text file and its presence should have no effect on booting. Post hoc ergo propter hoc... Non!

@Scott

Thanks for all your work on TM.

I found this on thinkwiki for the X41:

Section "InputDevice"
    Driver        "wacom"
    Identifier    "cursorCW"
    Option        "Device"        "/dev/ttyS0"
    Option        "Type"          "cursor"
    Option        "ForceDevice"   "ISDV4"
    Option        "Mode"          "Absolute"
    Option        "TPCButton"     "on"
    Option        "TopX"          "500"
    Option        "BottomX"       "18000"
    Option        "TopY"          "-6000"
    Option        "BottomY"       "18500"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Driver        "wacom"
    Identifier    "stylusCW"
    Option        "Device"        "/dev/ttyS0"
    Option        "Type"          "stylus"
    Option        "ForceDevice"   "ISDV4"
    Option        "Rotate"        "CW"
EndSection 

Does any of this help with finding the values to put into the extras tab? I tried the BottomX and BottomY values but it still drifts as it moves to the right.

I had to re-install OS 10.4.8 on my Motion LE1700 this morning after Apple Update installed some updates which made the OS incompatible with my machine. Now that OS X is working again, I've got TabletMagic succesfully installed, but the enabler script is not finding my tablet. After running the script, the message in Terminal reads:

login: PAM Error: Module is unknown

[Process exited - exit code 1]

Any help?

Thanks,

Chris

I had to re-install OS 10.4.8 on my Motion LE1700 this morning after Apple Update installed some updates which made the OS incompatible with my machine. Now that OS X is working again, I've got TabletMagic succesfully installed, but the enabler script is not finding my tablet. After running the script, the message in Terminal reads:

login: PAM Error: Module is unknown

A quick Google search for "login: PAM Error: Module is unknown" reveals that this is probably a problem with your OSX install. You may want to install it again.

I have also found this info for an IBM X41. Tried the values but didn't work for me. I'll post it anyway incase someone else has a X41

(==) Wacom using pressure threshold of 15 for button 1
(==) Wacom General ISDV4 tablet speed=9600 maxX=24576 maxY=18432 maxZ=255 resX=2
540 resY=2540 suppress=2 tilt=disabled
(==) Wacom device "stylus" top X=0 top Y=0 bottom X=24576 bottom Y=18432
(==) Wacom device "cursor" top X=0 top Y=0 bottom X=24576 bottom Y=18432
(==) Wacom device "eraser" top X=0 top Y=0 bottom X=24576 bottom Y=18432

A quick Google search for "login: PAM Error: Module is unknown" reveals that this is probably a problem with your OSX install. You may want to install it again.

Okay, so I re-installed OS X again, have downloaded and installed TabletMagic and downloaded and run the Enabler. Now the string reads:

"Your digitizer string is WACF004"

just as it did before the problems, but the pen still isn't recognized, even after restart. I've run the script several times with the daemon running, without the daemon running, etc. Also, the file with the end ".plst" that running the enabler put on my desktop during my 'successful' TabletMagic days no longer occurs.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Okay, so I re-installed OS X again, have downloaded and installed TabletMagic and downloaded and run the Enabler. Now the string reads:

"Your digitizer string is WACF004"

just as it did before the problems, but the pen still isn't recognized, even after restart. I've run the script several times with the daemon running, without the daemon running, etc. Also, the file with the end ".plst" that running the enabler put on my desktop during my 'successful' TabletMagic days no longer occurs.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Got it working - forgot to press enter key after the digitzer was found in the string. DOH! Everything's cool.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys I'm hoping someone can help me. I have an IBM X41 Tablet running XxX 10.4.11. I edited the Apple16x50.kext and added WACF004, installed the latest tabletmagic and the tablet is recognized and the pen works. My only problem is the tracking. the right side of the screen the cursor is almost on the money with the pen, but then it drifts as you move to the left. I read through the thread and tried the tips to go into the testing pane and move the pen to the far right notice the number and then the far bottom and notice the number. I entered them into the Extras tab. But still i can't get the tracking/calibration right. I've tried the "max" value in the Mapping tab with no luck. Has anyone got the X41 setup correctly?

I'm running an X41 under 10.4.7 and the Enabler script doesn't see the digitizer at all. I haven't edited the kext.

I'm running an X41 under 10.4.7 and the Enabler script doesn't see the digitizer at all. I haven't edited the kext.

Re-download the enabler script, in case you don't have the latest changes (3-20-08). Run it and take note of the output in Terminal. If the script fails, it should give some clue why.

Re-download the enabler script, in case you don't have the latest changes (3-20-08). Run it and take note of the output in Terminal. If the script fails, it should give some clue why.

Re-downloaded. When I run the Enabler script it simply results in:

Sorry! Couldn't find a Digitizer device.

Check out the X61 thread, and see if my enabler works for you.

No joy. I istalled your kext with kexthelper and it said it completed without errors, but upon reboot TabletMagic still doesn't see the tablet.

My X41 is the 1866-9MU model.

No joy. I istalled your kext with kexthelper and it said it completed without errors, but upon reboot TabletMagic still doesn't see the tablet.

My X41 is the 1866-9MU model.

Could you run "sudo ioreg -l > ioreg-x41.txt" and attach it here or in a pm to me?

Could you run "sudo ioreg -l > ioreg-x41.txt" and attach it here or in a pm to me?
Here you go.Thanks for looking at this. I actually made this 10.4.7 disc over a year ago when I first got the X41, but gave up on OSX on it when I learned the tablet functions hadn't been figured out yet. I was surprised to find people looking at the X41 again.

ioreg_x41.txt