TabletMagic for TabletPCs

521 posts in this topic

SCOTT, help us (Lenovo users) please:-):-):-)

It sounds like your serial port simply isn't being recognized. Do you see the digitizer's serial port in the "Ports" popup menu? If all you see is bluetooth or modem, that's not it! You need to go back to earlier steps and get your serial port configured. If on the other hand, you do see the serial port but the tablet still isn't recognized when the port is selected, then you probably need to enable the "Don't Query" checkbox in the Extras tab. If you get the serial port up, and you see stuff happening in the Testing pane of TabletMagic and yet the behavior is totally erratic then it may be an unsupported digitizer, and that's where I can help.

Unfortunately I'm too busy to handle all the hackintosh requests I receive, almost all of which come from people who simply haven't got their serial ports configured properly. Fortunately for my time and sanity this thread has all the answers you're seeking. Please read through this thread and ask other members for assistance when you get stuck.

That said, I welcome you to write if you find a bug in TabletMagic, need a new feature, or have an unsupported serial digitizer and you want TabletMagic to drive it. For example, someone wrote recently to tell me that the TabletPC digitizer Scale numbers in the Extras pane aren't sticking through restarts. Now there's the kind of bug I can fix!

Hi Scott!

Thanks a lot for your fast reply:-)

Yes, maybe serial port isn't recognized: in fact I have only 3 kind of choice: "automatic, Bluetooth PDA-Sync, Bluetooth Modem".. It's a strange thing because I did modify the Apple16X50 kext file with correct ID name..

I didn't find other ways to configure serial port in previous topics so, if you could suggest me other tricks I would be very happy.

Bye

Alex

P.S. For psychoboogie: version I installed was Kalyway 10.5.1.. no audio no LAN, no wifi (I have a dongle wifi Digicom that is OK) video partially ok (resolution 1344x1008 scaled, because native resolution is 1400x1050) QE enabled hardware acceleration.

FujitsuFreak - if you haven't edited the Apple16X50 to contain your specific wacom type [read through earlier postings for details] it will never see it. This step, then adding a modded daemon would be the stages to getting results.

kenny

A modded daemon probably isn't needed if you have TabletMagic 2.0b12 or later. The bug in which it misidentified some hackintosh systems has been fixed.

For people who can't get their serial port detected...

Try copying the whole Apple16X50Serial.kext to the desktop, delete the one in the extensions, reboot, then put it back in, repair permissions, and reboot again.

I did it.. Nothing happens:-( Same bluetooth ports listed..

I noticed that, when I type in terminal "IOreg -kx" there isn't any string referring to Apple16X50 like previous post 95. It seems that serial port doesn't exist!

Maybe tablet digitizer of Lenovo X61 tablet has another connection?!?!

Bye!

Alex

Hi Scott, I tried your command (see attachment) without success.. no WAC string detected.

Now I have done a clean install of Kalyway 10.5.1 without any kext modified (except for Video) but same result: NO SERIAL detected (only bluetooth)..

What a pity.. I'm feeling so close to the goal but I cannot continue.

SOB :rolleyes::):)

Alex

P.S. My keyboard is strange because the "|" character is impossible to do: when I hit this key I have ">" symbol (so I have to open Text Edit, insert symbol "|" and then paste it in terminal.. but there are 4 "|" that are very similar! I tried to paste the first). .

Terminal_Saved_Output.htm

I have a motion tablet, I got the serial port # from xp before my build. I had a lot of probles at first. ioreg didn't even report my serial tablet. What worked for me was what cloudrainstar was saying above. Grab Apple16X50Serial.kext and copy to desktop. Delete from it's main location. Modify it to name your correct serial port and save, then the key for me was copying from the desktop to it's location via the command line, not drag and drop in finder. I think I used the mv command mv /user/"yourname"/Desktop/Apple16X50Serial.kext /system/library/extensions/Apple16X50Serial.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Apple16X50ACPI.kext

I have tablet magic 2.0b11 installed with cloudrainstars mod located here

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=533600

I deleted the cache's and rebooted.

and everything worked out. this is with kalyway 10.5.1

tabletmagic is a little flakey, it starts when it wants to start, so sometimes I might have to plug in a wireless mouse to open control panel to enable it. minor inconvenience.

repost from 189...

For people who can't get their serial port detected...

Try copying the whole Apple16X50Serial.kext to the desktop, delete the one in the extensions, reboot, then put it back in, repair permissions, and reboot again.

Cloudrainstar, based on your signature, I can tell you have a similar laptop make to mine (fujitsu lifebook t4215) I would be wondering how you were able to switch out your wireless adapter. Also, (total noobie here) how would I repair permissions? specifically what code do I type?

Apple16X50Serial.kext modified with correct ID Name (WACF004) but still not working: when I switch ON bluetooth hardware button on my notebook I have "ISD V4.0 (TabletPC)" on panel but pen is not recognized; when I switch off this button Tablet is not recognized..

Same probablem on my X61 Tablet. Modifying the 16X50 Serial kext with both the actual serial port and the WACF004 results in just a working serial port. Something is very wonky on our laptops with Leopard. ;)

Note that the only way to see WACF004 on our systems is through ioreg -l, ioreg -lx gives a longer "name" field (5741434630303400). Manually loading the 16X50 driver results in f. all. Apple16X50Serial.kext simply does not attach to DTR. Attaching my -l and -lx, only changes since this export are the addition of an Atheros card to replace the Intel card preinstalled, but it didn't work before and after that change. :angel:

x61t_ioreg_l.txt

x61t_ioreg_lx.txt

Same probablem on my X61 Tablet. Modifying the 16X50 Serial kext with both the actual serial port and the WACF004 results in just a working serial port. Something is very wonky on our laptops with Leopard. :)

Note that the only way to see WACF004 on our systems is through ioreg -l, ioreg -lx gives a longer "name" field (5741434630303400). Manually loading the 16X50 driver results in f. all. Apple16X50Serial.kext simply does not attach to DTR. Attaching my -l and -lx, only changes since this export are the addition of an Atheros card to replace the Intel card preinstalled, but it didn't work before and after that change. :)

Hi outZider! You have got the same model I own (great tablet!)

I suggest you to download the last Kalyway Combo Update 10.5.2!!! After that you can download Leopard Graphics Update that finally makes able to use the correct (and wonderful!) resolution of our display: 1400x1050 without mouse artifacts!!!!! :D:D:D

Yesterday night I updated all.

Unfortunately things didn't changes for TABLET :(

Bye

P.S. If you have some tricks, please, send me messages in PM. I'll do the same thing for you :)

I suggest you to download the last Kalyway Combo Update 10.5.2!!! After that you can download Leopard Graphics Update that finally makes able to use the correct (and wonderful!) resolution of our display: 1400x1050 without mouse artifacts!!!!! ;):D:D

Yesterday night I updated all.

I've been thinking about starting an X61 Tablet thread, as the wiki is so locked up. I did do those updates yesterday afternoon, and got beautiful working graphics, for about two reboots. It's back to distorted {censored} again, and I will be fighting with that today. Nothing new on the serial port, unfortunately.

I've been thinking about starting an X61 Tablet thread, as the wiki is so locked up. I did do those updates yesterday afternoon, and got beautiful working graphics, for about two reboots. It's back to distorted {censored} again, and I will be fighting with that today. Nothing new on the serial port, unfortunately.

Hi OutZider, have you changed something before this reboot?! I'm afraid because, at now, all it's going ok ;)

Remember to donwload and install the newer vanilla kernel from Kalyway (kalyway_10.5.2_kernels.mpkg). After this the time of reboot returns like before the 10.5.1 to 10.5.2 upgrade.

It's a great idea to make a new thread about X61 installation (if you want I can help you)..

Well, if SCOTT could give us the last HELP for making usable our pen, it would be very, very appreciated :D:D:D

Pleazzzzzzzzze :D

P.S. Sorry for my bad english! I'm italian but I hope to be understood :D

P.S. Sorry for my bad english! I'm italian but I hope to be understood :angel:

Understand you just fine. :) I'm currently doing a fresh install of the operating system and retracing my steps to try to get this thing to work right. I loved the feature set of this thing, which is the only reason I bought it over a MacBook, but would rather get OS X running on the thing than Vista. Man, does that OS tick me off.

I did a raw 10.5.2 update, and manually patched files. I will try the Kalyway updater and see where that goes. I'll start a X61 Tablet thread over in installation.

Also, I don't think our host at TabletMagic will be able to help us with our issues. His software works great, but the OS needs to see the serial port before his software even takes over. This is most decidedly our/Lenovo's/Apple's problem. I'm going to check the Ubuntu revision log to see if Linux does anything fancy to get the serial port to wake up. Our ioreg node is far less verbose than other serial ports, including our DURT entry.

Scott,

Thanks for your response to my email last week. I wasn't able to get it working from where I was at due to having changed too many things. After a clean install of Kalyway 10.5.1 on my HP/COMPAQ TC4200 TabletPC, I made the recommended edits to the Apple16x50.kext and fiddled with the settings a bit and now have it working very well.

HP/COMPAQ TC4200 Tablet PC (Standard Build)

Video works, no QE/CI, no Rotation (DAMN!)

{Tried manually w/ Xrandr, looked for possible edits to force display as Rotation = Supported, but I am not the guy with any answers on that}

Audio works, a little flaky but I haven't spent any time on it

On Board Ethernet - works fine

On Board Wireless - Doesn't work (using a USB F5D7050B v3000)

SD Slot - Not seeing my cards, but maybe I need to work on it

USB - All 3 ports firing

1. Install OSX (can probably gleen that info from 1xxx other posts)

2. Edit Apple16x50.kext with tablet ID (WACF006)

3. Install latest TabletMagic

4. Calibrate the pen to screen

Most important thing I DIDN'T DO on this install was download the Khashoggi driver. TabletMagic worked fine on the TC4200 without it and since there doesn't appear to be any further development by Khashoggi (spelling? whatever), no sense wasting my time.

In a bit of a rush, but wanted to say thank you again for a killer app and excellent support!

Mahalo!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a p1610 with iAtkos r1,

Everything works less audio, touchscreen and wifi. I tried to install tabletmagic and don't work.

1. Install OSX (iAtkos)

2. Edit Apple16x50Serial.kext with tablet ID (FUJ02E6)

3. Install latest TabletMagic

4. Port: serial() Tablet: ISD V4.0 (TabletPc)

5. Don't work

Please help

As you know, before Mac OS X can recognize your TabletPC's digitizer at all you have to open Terminal, find your digitizer's ID string with something like ioreg -lx | grep -A15 -E "\+-o (DIGI|WACM)" | grep -m1 \"name\", replace the string PNP0501 in a fun-to-find system file...

/System/Library/Extensions/Apple16X50Serial.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Apple16X50ACPI.kext/Contents/Info.plist

...then delete /System/Library/Extensions.mkext, cross your fingers and reboot. Blech!

As a special gift for Leap Day - and so I don't have to explain this process ever again! - here's a bash script that automates it all, except the finger-crossing part. It's been tested pretty thoroughly and should work in almost all cases.

So hey! Why not Download Enable TabletPC Digitizer and give it a try?

Hey guys I'm hoping someone can help me. I have an IBM X41 Tablet running XxX 10.4.11. I edited the Apple16x50.kext and added WACF004, installed the latest tabletmagic and the tablet is recognized and the pen works. My only problem is the tracking. the right side of the screen the cursor is almost on the money with the pen, but then it drifts as you move to the left. I read through the thread and tried the tips to go into the testing pane and move the pen to the far right notice the number and then the far bottom and notice the number. I entered them into the Extras tab. But still i can't get the tracking/calibration right. I've tried the "max" value in the Mapping tab with no luck. Has anyone got the X41 setup correctly?

bubba129,

go to mapping tab and press "more" a few times for the left square so the selected area's all covered.

then play with the setting for the right rectangle to marginally correct the calibration.

have a read through inkwell's help.

everything should work.

Okay - I've pressed "more" until the left square's area is completely covered, but as I play with the right area it just constrains the space in which the cursur will move to a smaller or larger area of the screen. Calibration of the pen is still erratic. I'm using Mac OS 10.4.8 on a Motion LE1700. any suggestions?

Hey guys I'm hoping someone can help me. I have an IBM X41 Tablet running XxX 10.4.11. I edited the Apple16x50.kext and added WACF004, installed the latest tabletmagic and the tablet is recognized and the pen works. My only problem is the tracking. the right side of the screen the cursor is almost on the money with the pen, but then it drifts as you move to the left. I read through the thread and tried the tips to go into the testing pane and move the pen to the far right notice the number and then the far bottom and notice the number. I entered them into the Extras tab. But still i can't get the tracking/calibration right. I've tried the "max" value in the Mapping tab with no luck. Has anyone got the X41 setup correctly?

This is the exact tracking experience I'm having using TabletMagic on my Motion LE1700 - not any help, I know, but I'll be following these posts along with you and if I come up with a solution I'll let you know.