TabletMagic for TabletPCs

521 posts in this topic

Thanks for your response. Did it all but still coming up with the same conclusion. I am no longer getting the "Couldn't connect to IO Master Port" though. I will keep digging.

Hmm... The lack of a console message may just be a result of the fork... I'll keep looking into this as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I solved the problem desribed below. Now my tablet works great! Thanks!!!

The solution was as described above in the thread. I copied /System/Library/Extensions/Apple16X50Serial.kext to my home directory, deleted it, rebooted, copied it back, rebooted, and all was well!!

---------

I'm trying to get the tablet on my LE1700 working, but no luck for now.

I'm using Kalyway 10.5.2

The "Enable TabletPC Digitizer" works, and gives me the string WACF004

I don't think the right serial port is/was added to my /dev directory. All I have there are /dev/tty?? ports, and the regular /dev/ttys00?. No serial0, or anything similar.

I also can not find any mention of Apple16X50Serial or 16x50 in any of my log files (other than the commends that edited Info.plist)

When I start TabletMagic, there is no Port: that I can select, other than "Automatic"

But I got it working now. See above.

Thanks!!!

P.S. The TabletMagic logs look something like this:

6/30/08 10:43:20 AM [0x0-0x16016].com.apple.systempreferences[170] TabletMagicDaemon v2.0b13

6/30/08 10:43:20 AM [0x0-0x16016].com.apple.systempreferences[170] © 2007 Thinkyhead Software <www.thinkyhead.com>

6/30/08 10:43:20 AM [0x0-0x16016].com.apple.systempreferences[170] [iNIT] renice -20 260 : Succeeded

6/30/08 10:43:20 AM [0x0-0x16016].com.apple.systempreferences[170] [iNIT] Machine Type: LE1700 (Hackintosh?)

6/30/08 10:43:20 AM System Preferences[170] Received [hello]

6/30/08 10:43:20 AM System Preferences[170] Received [port]

6/30/08 10:43:21 AM System Preferences[170] Received [none]

6/30/08 10:43:20 AM [0x0-0x16016].com.apple.systempreferences[170] [PROC] Tablet Bounds: (0, 0) - (15239, 15239)

6/30/08 10:43:20 AM [0x0-0x16016].com.apple.systempreferences[170] [PROC] Screen Bounds: (0, 0) - (1599, 1199)

6/30/08 10:43:20 AM [0x0-0x16016].com.apple.systempreferences[170] Could not initialize tablet.

and here is the relevant ioreg entry:

| +-o WACM <class IOACPIPlatformDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>

| | {

| | "IOInterruptControllers" = ("io-apic-0")

| | "name" = <"WACF004">

| | "IODeviceMemory" = (({"address"=568,"length"=8}))

| | "_STA" = 15

| | "acpi-dstate" = 0

| | "_UID" = "0"

| | "IOPowerManagement" = {"CurrentPowerState"=2}

| | "IOInterruptSpecifiers" = (<0500000000000000>)

| | "acpi-dstate-mask" = 9

| | }

I wanted to report successful use of tabletmagic with the HP 2710p tablet. I had to edit the kext to add the appropriate wacom ID but after that it works. I also have the same problem of having to manually start the tabletmagic driver. One other issue I have is that the calibration is off - the cursor tracks about a centimeter to the right of the pen. Is there any way to fix this?

Scott - any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, just checking in again on this thread a year later. :(

Has _any_ TC1100 user successfully gotten their digitzer working?

By editing the Info.plist of the kext to WACF005, I can confirm that the Apple16X50Serial kext loads at boot time. If you run kextstat, you can see it has matched and loaded. Any other value, the kext does not even load.

However even with the 16X50 kext loading, NO SERIAL PORT is added to the /dev directory. No serial0, no new cu.*, no new tty.*, nothing. So, obviously TabletMagic ain't gonna work without a serial port to talk to.

There was some chatter about a program that somehow "woke up" the digitizer's serial port and was necessary on Linux to get the digitizer to respond. Did anything come of this?

Looking for any TC1100 success stories here. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a T4215 and have been trying for two days to make the digitizer and tabletmagic work. I have tried everything on the different threads but couldnt make it work.

I am running 10.5.2. Everything but the known non-working things works great.

Any help? Any ideas?

Thank you

The problem with startup may be related to a change I made in the daemon startup arguments for 2.0b13 - specifically, the "daemonize" flag was dropped from the LaunchD arguments. Sometimes it's good to daemonize, sometimes it's not, and Apple's documentation is a little confusing on this point with regard to LaunchD daemons. I suspect if you check the Console app (system.log?) and look at startup messages you'll see something like "Couldn't connect to IO Master Port" which is related to the bootstrap namespace in which the daemon is launched. (I/O Ports in different bootstrap domains can't always communicate with each other.) And this is subsequently related to whether the daemon runs as a child of LaunchD or daemonizes and becomes a child of the "root" namespace... or whichever one it ends up in!

So, to fix the startup issue, try editing the file /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.thinkyhead.TabletMagic.plist and add -d to the ProgramArguments section.

"Don't Query Digitizer" is needed on all TabletPC models in which the digitizer doesn't answer info queries, and it doesn't have any relation to the automatic startup issue.

I have the same problem on 2.0b13 :

(CGSLookupServerRootPort) Untrusted apps are not allowed to connect to or launch Window Server before login
kCGErrorRangeCheck : On-demand launch of the Window Server is allowed for root user only.

and adding the key "-d" didn't help. I solved it temporarily by creating an application (using Platypus) that just executes:

launchctl submit -l tabletMagic -- /Library/PreferencePanes/TabletMagic.prefPane/Contents/Resources/TabletMagicDaemon -c -n-20 -L0 -T0 -R24701 -B18473 -l0 -t0 -r1399 -b1049 -M1:1 -M2:7 -M3:2 -M4:6 -F

(I found the parameters by doing ps aguxww | grep -i tab, after starting tabletmagic manually)

Then I added this app to my LoginItems in the accounts settings.

Now my pen works on startup. Though there probably is a better solution to this.

I'm just posting in support of finding how to get the digitizer working on the TC1100. I just got one and it's the best computer I've ever had - it's awesome and if OSX could use the tablet it would be perfect. Great work so far and I will keep checking regularly on the updates of this great software.

I used the same technique as above (using Platypus) to have this work on my 2710p. Here is the script I used:

launchctl submit -l tabletMagic -- /Library/PreferencePanes/TabletMagic.prefPane/Contents/Resources/TabletMagicDaemon -c -n-20 -L0 -T0 -R26220 -B16520 -l0 -t0 -r1279 -b799 -M1:1 -M2:7 -M3:2 -M4:6 -F -pserial0

Seems to work ok.

Seems to work ok.

Good that you found a workaround!

So, yeah, this is a Leopard issue involving bootstrap contexts, namespaces... whatever you want to call them. TabletMagic necessarily connects to the "window server" in order to be able to send tablet events to the system. This could probably be fixed by moving the LaunchD entry out of /Library/LaunchDaemons and into ~/Library/LaunchDaemons, where it will load on login instead of bootup.

I found this helpful page at dev.apple http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn200...RELOGINANDTRUST which describes the exact problem I'm having and points to a bit of sample code that shows how to properly make a pre-login LaunchD agent. I will be studying this and will include the necessary changes in b14.

I've just posted TabletMagic 2.0b14 which includes several improvements for TabletPC.

Launch at Startup should now work properly on Leopard, but you must go to the Extras pane and toggle the Launch at Startup button to update your system with the proper LaunchD settings.

TabletPC options now appear under their own tab in the interface. New options include a means to obtain the digitizer range by moving the stylus over the screen, and a button to enable the TabletPC digitizer by applying the kext modifications outlined in this thread.

Be aware that the Enable Digitizer button only fully enables those systems in which the digitizer hardware is turned on by default. Models like the Lenovo ThinkPad X61t which start up with the digitizer disabled will still need the ThinkPad Enabler mentioned at the head of this topic.

So, give 2.0b14 a try and let me know if everything works properly. If things look pretty stable I'll go ahead and release publicly.

When I try to install it says a newer version is already on my disk and won't let me install. I tried deleting the old and rebooting, no change?

Okay, I've updated the version number on the package so it should no longer conflict with any earlier installs. Re-download the 2b14 installer disk image and give it another try.

Got it installed and it works great once started, still will not launch at startup.

I might have that fixed. If you're running Leopard you should see an entry for TabletMagic in /Library/LaunchAgents. On Tiger you should find an entry in /Library/LaunchDaemons. If you're on Leopard and yet the entry is in LaunchDaemons you might have better luck re-downloading and installing again. If you have the latest build and yet there are still issues with startup, I'll need to look into it further.

Got it installed and it works great once started, still will not launch at startup.

I have done Kalyway installs on the TC4200 and the TC4400 multiple times with identical methodology and still ended up with mixed results on the "enable at startup" feature. On 1 hdd for the 4200 it boots with the tablet enabled and on another with absolutely identical installation steps which will not boot enabled... still works when you do enable it everytime but I havnt been able to figure out how it could be possible since I followed my own tutorial step by step? Weird.

I have done Kalway installs on the TC4200 and the TC4400 multiple times with identical methodology and still ended up with mixed results on the "enable at startup" feature. On 1 hdd for the 4200 it boots with the tablet enabled and on another with absolutely identical installation steps which will not boot enabled... still works when you do enable it everytime but I havnt been able to figure out how it could be possible since I followed my own tutorial step by step? Weird.

Can you see that the identical files are stored in /Library/LaunchDaemons or /Library/LaunchAgents? The latest TabletMagic enables itself via the former method on Tiger, and the latter on Leopard.

If you feel like messing about with the techniques to see what works - including modifying the -d flag behavior - you can modify the com.thinkyhead.TabletMagic.plist file in one of those directories to see if you can get a combination that works. Or, get the current TabletMagic source through Sourceforge, open up the XCode project, and play with the updateAutoStart method in TMController.m.

To get the latest source code, just issue the following commands in Terminal:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@tabletmagic.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/tabletmagic login
Password: [Enter]
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@tabletmagic.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/tabletmagic co -P combined

removing the item from the LaunchDaemons and reinstalling fixed the issue, I am now functioning fully. Last trick is to figure out is how to get ink to switch to "ink anywhere" with the stylus button pushed. So far fiddling has not worked.

Thanks

Great product!!!

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, I've updated the version number on the package so it should no longer conflict with any earlier installs. Re-download the 2b14 installer disk image and give it another try.

I'm getting a similar error:

You cannot install TabletMagic on this volume. A newer version of this software already exists on this volume.

I am currently running the previous 2b13

I'm getting a similar error: I am currently running the previous 2b13

Thanks for letting me know. To proceed, delete any TabletMagic package receipts you find in /Library/Receipts.

• 2 weeks later...
I've just posted TabletMagic 2.0b14 which includes several improvements for TabletPC.

<snip>

So, give 2.0b14 a try and let me know if everything works properly. If things look pretty stable I'll go ahead and release publicly.

Hi Scott,

Great programme! I'm just getting started with OSx86 on a Tablet PC. Got TabletMagic2b13 running on a Fujitsu-Siemens Stylistic ST5031D with 10.4.6. Very nice!

However, I couldn't get TabletMagic2b14 installed with the installer reporting "There is nothing to install". Thus my question: is TabletMagic2b14 Leopard only, or should it also still install on Tiger?

Greetings, and keep up the great work,

Wolf