TabletMagic for TabletPCs

521 posts in this topic

cloudrainstar: your daemon is working for me with efi. My Mac tablet is almost complete.

However, TabletMagic seems to be detecting the tablet's horizontal resolution incorrectly. Vertically, the cursor tracks right where it should be. Vertically, the cursor get progressively farther to the right of the pen as I approach the right side of the screen. It is approximately correct on the left side.

It seems TabletMagic doesn't support the 16:10 aspect ratio Tecra M7, as the reported tablet resolution is 4:3.

i had the horizontal problem described above also.

i solved it by noting that when TM detects the tablet, it reports a unique resolution under the Don't Query field. i have a toshiba r25, which has screen dimensions of 1440x900.

since the vertical dimension seemed to be tracking the pen input just fine, i divided the reported number by 900 and got a value of about 21. i then multiplied this by 1440 to get my horizontal resolution value.

the trick is to disable the demon for a second, then type the values into the boxes under the Don't Query checkbox. Then restart the demon. Switch to the (calibration?) tab and click the ALL button for the pen input dimensions and the pen input should snap into place....

Once you get it working it should stay calibrated. Make sure Tablet Magic is set to start at bootup and reboot. You should have full calibrated control of the cursor with the pen as soon as the system draws the cursor....

Sorry if my description is a bit vague, I am not booted into Tablet Mac at the moment.

I just installed Kalyway leopard with efi and vanilal kernel.

I modified the Apple16x59Serial.kext/.... as in Tiger putting WACF004 in the same place...

but it seems that the serial is not recognized... Some ideas?

I installed the last version of tablet magic and clearly it does not work because it does not detect any serial *in the menu there is only the "Automatic" voice..

please help me... because I-m too used to the pen and would not return to tiger... Leopard seems to work very well...

i came across too many posts about Leopard disabling the tablet functionality to try upgrading yet. (also running out of disk space to try different system installs so I am sticking with stable 10.4.9 for now.)

i expect i will get new drive space for xmas and after that will try upgrading to Leopard....

in the meantime did you try cloudrainstar's daemon in the above posts?

uhm...

news: now I have the serial... but i'm not sure about the reason...

I booted one time with the tohkernel instead of vanilla and the serial ... was there

after that i booted again with the vanilla kernel... and it was still there :-D

but I'm not sure that bit was that...... however I'm happy now... :-D

I hope that I am not simply stating that which has already been realized, but I have not seen this specific solution explicitly defined so I thought I would share my experiences.

I have a Fujitsu T4215 running the iAtkos v1.0i release of leopard. I have everthing except the wireless working, with the exception of one small irritant that the speakers stop working when I wake the laptop from sleep...I can live with it. I decided that I wanted to make the tablet work, so I started messing with tablet magic. I tried all sorts of things as mentioned in this post, and none of them really worked, so I decided to do a fresh install and trouble shoot until I could figure it out.

First I edited the plist file to reflect my fujitsu and it was not recognized. Then all I ended up needing to do was install the pen tablet drivers from wacom. They didnt detect a tablet, or do anything really...but as soon as they were installed serial0 showed up in tabletmagic and the thing works great. I have tested this twice now to make sure that it was not a fluke, and it always works: Edit the plist file, install wacom drivers, tablet works.

Again I appologize if I just happened to miss this somewhere, but I thought I should share this with the group.

P.S. I feel I should mention that when I say I have everything but the wireless working, I have not tested the sd card reader or the cardbus slot...all I have to put there is an old Echo audio card or a friewire card, (which I do desperately need, so I guess that is my next goal)...also, I am installed on guid partitions, and time machine works to back up to, but I cannot restore the system from it...just in case anyone was interested...

Okay, I got rid of the wrong Horizontal tracking. All is good

First Killed Daemon. Then under the "Testings" tab I found the Length&Width coordinates of the tablet (X,Y positions (24570,18430)) Then under the extra's tab I put the numbers into the "Don't query boxes", keep selected. Enabled the Daemon and everything worked. No more wonky horizontal alignment.

Thanks , I assume for drawing/painting it is still a little ways off? Tried photoshop, sketchpad pro, gimp, all to slow. Gimp would just crash.

Is anyone using a USB <=> Serial cable? Mine isn't working... I have a UD-1218-R and the cable is Konig Computer's brand (USB to RS232 converter). Is that cable that I need, right?

Did you install a driver?? You can't just plug in a generic usb-serial adapter and expect it to work without any driver software. Use Google to figure out what chipset your adapter uses and download and install the appropriate driver. Look at the ReadMe file that comes with TabletMagic for advice on drivers for generic serial adapters. Good luck!

Carpao

I booted with Toh kernel and then replaced it with the vanilla one and rebooted. Now serial 0 shows up in the setup pane of TabletMagic ( a step forward, your method seems to be working) but the daemon still can't find a tablet on my M400. Did you tweak any other settings apart from the obvious WACF004 addition to Apple16X50Serial.kext?

Like you I had the tablet working great with OSX 10.4.10

steeple, i think the modbook uses a USB digitizer. In which case the official Wacom drivers would take care of it. The reason we need this is because Tablet PC manufacturers used the serial digitizers and Wacom doesn't support serial tablets on their mac drivers.

steeple, i think the modbook uses a USB digitizer. In which case the official Wacom drivers would take care of it. The reason we need this is because Tablet PC manufacturers used the serial digitizers and Wacom doesn't support serial tablets on their mac drivers.

ah, right it never occurred to me they were using usb...actually is that definite, 'cause they'd have to source a usb lcd/digitizer panel, and i thought they were using standard wacom tablet pc panels?

you can use a usb or serial digitizer with the panel. It's like the controller board for LCD panels. There isn't ONE single controller that goes with a panel, but rather they are standards off which the controllers also are based on and thus can be interchanged within a limited range. So the same Touch panels that the tablet pc's use can be hooked up with wacom usb digitizers and ding!

you can use a usb or serial digitizer with the panel. It's like the controller board for LCD panels. There isn't ONE single controller that goes with a panel, but rather they are standards off which the controllers also are based on and thus can be interchanged within a limited range. So the same Touch panels that the tablet pc's use can be hooked up with wacom usb digitizers and ding!

aah, i see, thanks for the info though. :D