TabletMagic for TabletPCs

521 posts in this topic

Re-downloaded. When I run the Enabler script it simply results in:

Hi, I've modified my script to account for your particular output, which shows "COMA" (power-management?) as the i/o registry entry, and also added a last-resort check for typical values like WACnnnn or FUJnnnn. Download the updated script and give it a try.

Also I fixed a serious bug in the script, so it should behave much better in-general...

I should add that even if this script works, it in no way guarantees your x41 will work!

Hi, I've modified my script to account for your particular output, which shows "COMA" (power-management?) as the i/o registry entry, and also added a last-resort check for typical values like WACnnnn or FUJnnnn. Download the updated script and give it a try.Also I fixed a serious bug in the script, so it should behave much better in-general...I should add that even if this script works, it in no way guarantees your x41 will work!

Here is the output:

./Enable\ TabletPC\ Digitizer.command
./Enable TabletPC Digitizer.command: line 16: [: WACF004: integer expression expected
Your Digitizer Code is WACF004
rm: /System/Library/Extensions.mkext: No such file or directory
The Patch has been applied! Press <enter> to reboot.
reboot: Operation not permittedSorry! Couldn't find a Digitizer device.

After a manual reboot, TabletMagic still does not detect the tablet.I'm curious what might be preventing it from seeing my hardware, since other X41 users have apparently gotten farther than I have.

Here (attached) is the new output of ioreg -l

ioreg_x41_2.txt

Here (attached) is the new output of ioreg -l

Your device is definitely WACF004:

"name" = <"WACF004">

and it has an interrupt specifier and a memory range. Get rid of my extension, you're probably fine. You may be better off modifying the serial kext on your own.

Over the weekend I have migrated my X41 to 10.5.1. I followed the same steps given above and have garnered the same results. Attached is the ioreg output for the new install.

Could you also send your Info.plist from /System/Library/Extensions/Apple16X50Serial.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Apple16X50ACPI.kext/Contents/?

Over the weekend I have migrated my X41 to 10.5.1. I followed the same steps given above and have garnered the same results. Attached is the ioreg output for the new install.

Thanks for that! In tweaking the script I got == and -eq mixed up. It should work perfectly now. Download here.

Attention ThinkPad X61 Tablet users -- we have a tablet now! I have posted a tablet enabler in the X61 Tablet thread at this post. This will configure your tablet's serial port to the default settings that work in Windows and Linux, and then Scott's tool can work its magic.

This may be able to be tweaked for other tablet owners that do not have a working serial post - tc1000 series owners, I'm looking at you. Give this a shot, or, if you can pass me a dmesg from Linux, I may be able to get it working for you. Let me know.

Thanks!

Thanks for that! In tweaking the script I got == and -eq mixed up. It should work perfectly now. Download here.

Hey, it worked this time!

It's showing as "ISD V4.0 (TabletPC)" in TabletMagic.

I'll have to wait until I get home tonight to test further. I've been working on this through VNC.

Hey, it worked this time!

It's showing as "ISD V4.0 (TabletPC)" in TabletMagic.

I'll have to wait until I get home tonight to test further. I've been working on this through VNC.

Tablet works perfectly.

Thanks everyone!

Hm... Only one (the first) of the two buttons on my stylus seems to be recognized.
Uh huh. So, when you test that button in the "Testing" tab of TabletMagic do you see any obvious changes in the datastream? For example, does one of the left-most bytes consistently change from 5A to 5B or something like that? This will help determine if the button is simply being ignored by the driver or if it's really not being picked up in the datastream. In the former case I will need to modify my ISD-V4 code to handle it, and in the latter case there may be a need to enable the button by commanding the digitizer. Let me know what you find out.

Here is a new bit of weirdness.

My X41 is not capable of SSE3, so the Mac version of Manga Studio Debut does not run very well (it's a PPC binary and it crashes frequently). I have been attempting to run the Windows version of Manga Studio EX inside of WINE/CrossoverOffice. I've done this on the same machine under Linux for a long time and it runs great aside from a few small quirks.

Under OSX, either in regular WINE 0.9.51 or CrossoverOffice 6.2, everything runs as expected except that the stylus requires a great deal of pressure simply to register a line. The native OSX apps (Photoshop, etc.) do not exhibit this behavior. The stylus does not seem overly laggy once I get it to start making a mark, but it absolutely does not register the same sensitivity as the native OSX apps, or as this same Windows app under CrossoverOffice in Linux.

I played around a little with the pressure sensitivity settings in Manga Studio itself but that didn't seem to affect the problem.

I haven't tried out the stylus in a Windows version of Photoshop under WINE yet, but I suspect this may affect all such programs under X11 and/or WINE.

Apple's X11 implementation does not have any tablet support. Some of the X11 packages available from other sources, like DarwinPorts, are based off a larger implementation, and is possible to configure for tablet support. I can't give much more information than that -- I don't use my tablet in X11 at all. :P

The left-most bytes consistently change to A4 when I click the second button.* No "buttons" on the right light up.(*So you know, the first button, which works, consistently produces an A2.)

Hmm, well my driver borrows the parse logic from the linux-wacom project, which is unable to distinguish the second button from an eraser. So button 2 should behave as an eraser when you apply pressure. You can change this in the Mapping tab of TabletMagic - just map the Eraser to Button 2. In future perhaps there will be a way to automatically detect whether people are using an erasing pen or not, but I can't think of a simple method at the moment!

Hmm, well my driver borrows the parse logic from the linux-wacom project, which is unable to distinguish the second button from an eraser. So button 2 should behave as an eraser when you apply pressure. You can change this in the Mapping tab of TabletMagic - just map the Eraser to Button 2. In future perhaps there will be a way to automatically detect whether people are using an erasing pen or not, but I can't think of a simple method at the moment!
By default in Linux the second stylus button acts as a right mouse button. I'll check my Linux settings to see how it says it is mapping them.
Apple's X11 implementation does not have any tablet support. Some of the X11 packages available from other sources, like DarwinPorts, are based off a larger implementation, and is possible to configure for tablet support. I can't give much more information than that -- I don't use my tablet in X11 at all. :(
Hey, good idea. I didn't consider the DarwinPorts X11. I will give that a try tonight.

By default in Linux the second stylus button acts as a right mouse button.

Does it work as an eraser in a program like Gimp, though? I could see Linux treating an "eraser" as a second button in GUI situations, where an eraser doesn't make sense.

Does it work as an eraser in a program like Gimp, though? I could see Linux treating an "eraser" as a second button in GUI situations, where an eraser doesn't make sense.

I'll test it out in Gimp. My stylus doesn't actually have an eraser of its own. It just has the two buttons near the tip.

I have a Fujitsu P1510D ultraportable running 10.4.8. I installed Tablet Magic and ran the enabler script, but I can't seem to get the touchscreen to work. The script identifies the tablet ID as "FUJ02E6". Does anyone have any information or toubbleshooting steps to help get it working?

Thanks!

I have a Fujitsu P1510D ultraportable running 10.4.8. I installed Tablet Magic and ran the enabler script, but I can't seem to get the touchscreen to work. The script identifies the tablet ID as "FUJ02E6". Does anyone have any information or toubbleshooting steps to help get it working?

Thanks!

Did you try enabling the "Don't Query" checkbox under the Extras tab? That can help sometimes.

Did you try enabling the "Don't Query" checkbox under the Extras tab? That can help sometimes.

Yep, I did. Still no luck. Here's some further information regarding this digitizer: Tablet magic says that on serial0 there is an ISD V4.0 (Tablet PC) but when I go to the "Testing" tab, nothing happens when I touch the screen. I read earlier in this topic that someone with the Fujitsu P1610 was having the same problem. From what I understand, my Fujitsu P1510 has the same digitizer. It would be so awesome to have the touch screen working in this little guy, so your help is really appreciated!

Thanks