TabletMagic for TabletPCs

521 posts in this topic

Thanks for these drivers - Wacom Intuos A4 Oversize (GD, v1.2 - white one) now working @ 99%...

There is one niggling problem however, the pressure sensitivity goes a bit random at times.

For example, I can be sketching a line softly and it will work as expected, but after a few strokes (same pressure applied), the line is drawn at maximum thickness - as if full pressure was exerted on the pen/tablet.

Anyone have a similar experience? Set-up is in signature. Would really appreciate some help, don't fancy forking out £350 for an Intuos3 A4 oversize!

Edit: worth mentioning I'm using a Prolific USB to serial adapter (RS232) with this driver.

beats me, mines not a touchscreen style one, I'd check to make sure I had a wacom style digitizer in the first place, and then use the device manager in windows to find out whether its a F004 or what

Thanks for the reply. My tablet is the 1400x1050 one, Wacom digitizer, WACF004.

see post #145 (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=43948&st=140#) for the solution to the tracking problem

hey I follow all that, but frankly I don't see anywhere on the 2.0b11 where it says anything about don't query fields, in any of the 5 tabs across the preference pane. Thus I don't see any opportunity to edit those fields.

on my computer, the extras tab looks like this, I can even see in the manual theres supposed to be a don't query option, but I don't appear to have one. I installed the earlier ß8 version too. The tracking is my last big hurdle here.

Anyway, is it one of the other panels, and not labelled, or maybe it was removed for this version.

thanks

kenny

edited to provide more troubleshooting info.

hey I follow all that, but frankly I don't see anywhere on the 2.0b11 where it says anything about don't query fields, in any of the 5 tabs across the preference pane. Thus I don't see any opportunity to edit those fields.

on my computer, the extras tab looks like this, I can even see in the manual theres supposed to be a don't query option, but I don't appear to have one. I installed the earlier ß8 version too. The tracking is my last big hurdle here.

Anyway, is it one of the other panels, and not labelled, or maybe it was removed for this version.

thanks

kenny

edited to provide more troubleshooting info.

umm... i believe this problem is caused by when you installed tabletmagic, you were using the AppleSMBIOS.kext from netkas, to make your computer pretend it's a mac pro. I would try uninstalling tabletmagic, putting back the vanilla AppleSMBIOS.kext, install tabletmagic, and see if the "Don't Query" is there under the extras tab. If it's there, I think you can go ahead and put the netkas AppleSMBIOS.kext back and use the modified daemon that i posted previously. Hopefully that solves your problem.

thanks for the reply, this figuring this stuff out can be frustrating. I uninstalled tablet magic, got the vanilla AppleSMBIOS.kext from my macbook, and swapped it out in the Extensions [repaired perms, deleted extension pref etc -restart] then I reinstalled the tabletmagic, but its still the same as the previous printwindow - so just to see what I was looking for, I installed the ß11 version onto my real CoreDuo Macbook, and the same result, no Don't Query area. I then, just to check, installed the ß8 version, and got the same result, so no go, unless I am doing something wrong in my flow of install re-install -

Anyway, does it hurt the computer to keep the vanilla kernel in there, or do you think I should swap back in the modded one - [im using the Kalyway DVD as my basis for this] anyway, any other suggestions or tryouts are appreciated. I registered this as a bug, so maybe someone will have an idea.

thanks again

KWJ

hey thanks for making that, it didnt appear to make a difference, there still was the increasing drift, and I tried it with both beta versions I have, I didn't change that vanilla AppleSbios.kext back to a hacked one, should that make a difference though?

anyway, thanks for the attempt, I wonder what the heck is making that option for the panel not appear…

if thats a preference thats reported somehow, maybe I could edit where it reports to.

who knows all I know from around here is the stuff I read on these forums.

KWJ

hey thanks for making that, it didnt appear to make a difference, there still was the increasing drift, and I tried it with both beta versions I have, I didn't change that vanilla AppleSbios.kext back to a hacked one, should that make a difference though?

anyway, thanks for the attempt, I wonder what the heck is making that option for the panel not appear…

if thats a preference thats reported somehow, maybe I could edit where it reports to.

who knows all I know from around here is the stuff I read on these forums.

KWJ

maybe try this.. I took my whole prefpane and made it a zip file.. see if you get the "Don't Query" now.

so I installed the PPane you sent me onto my macbook first, and the extras panel was the same, see pic

and the first panel looked like this, until I switched it from automatic, and it sensed the bluetooth as a serial port and greyed it all out like on the other page. The Dont' Query is supposed to be on the extras panel, right?

post-174689-1201760467_thumb.jpg

thanks again for giving this thought, the developer of the prefpanel had a note saying he was travelling until the end of the month so maybe he'll have ideas too at some point.

I did go ahead and put it on my toshiba too, the results were the same, it always sees the serial port though.

Kenny

post-174689-1201760774_thumb.jpg

who loves cake!

drawn with that ole xp tablet edition drive stuck back in [no pressure sensitivity there]

Im still stuck on this driver tracking problem, if the developer of tablet magic is around [mentioned an update at the end of Jan, hoping for so relief for my tracking issue/missing preferencepane dialogue area]

not harrassing, but a friendly bump

"Don't Query" guy. Do you get the "No Tablet Found" problem? When Scott wrote the TabletPC support he coded it to detect the machine model name. Nowadays, these names are different, and so we have a problem. Anyone wanna look for the modelname code and tweak it? I don't. x.x

I find the driver now that I have imported the modified daemon[sp], I get the tablet working fine, I edited my resources plist for the WACF004, which is the one I have according to my device manager, and even get pressure sensitivity. What I don't get is the "don't query" area of the preference pane where you can [switch that on or off] and enter the tracking adjustments, its not even showing up on the panel[see picture above]. I saw the dialogue where Scott mentioned that theres machine name issues in there. I don't know what the next step would be to move forward with this.

thanks

Kenny

Sorry for the long wait! Try the new version of TabletMagic posted here:

http://thinkyhead.com/pub/TabletMagic2b12.dmg (711K)

This release uses a more robust technique to recognize non-Apple hardware configurations and should be compatible with all your favorite custom kernels. When your TabletPC system is recognized you will find an extra set of controls in the "Extras" pane:

• Don't Query Digitizer: Assume a digitizer exists on the selected serial port.
  • Range: Fix tracking problems by changing these values. If the pen tracks too little, decrease these values. If it tracks too far, increase them.

If you have the Port popup set to "Automatic" then only the first serial port will be scanned, so try selecting the actual serial port if Automatic fails.

hey thanks for all the work guys, I still havent gotten it sorted yet [becuase Im zonked] but thanks to the newest version, I can now fiddle with the tracking, its super late on the east coast and I just got in, but I had to install and try it out, I really need some sleep. tomorrow Ill try every combo til I sort this out.

Thanks again to cloud, ferret, and scott!!

Kenny

the thing is working great, but it doesn't remember the preferences from restart to restart, otherwise all is well with the tracking. Is there a way to lock the entries in on the preference? the pull down presets remember my preset names, but not the data. Even if this never got further,its good enough to be usable full time, just keeping you all posted on my observances,

KWJ

hey all, quick question, in the testing panel of tabletmagic, isn't if you are using the eraser, the eraser green button is supposed to light up [of the four buttons to the right of the testing window], on my setup, it stays the button #1.

If there's a solution to changing this, I'd be up for it.

loving my hackintosh tablet,

Kenny

Hi! I try to install drivers on Tablet Lenovo X61.

TabletMagic 2b12 installed.

Apple16X50Serial.kext modified with correct ID Name (WACF004) but still not working: when I switch ON bluetooth hardware button on my notebook I have "ISD V4.0 (TabletPC)" on panel but pen is not recognized; when I switch off this button Tablet is not recognized..

Maybe a conflict with Bluetooth ports?!

SCOTT, help us (Lenovo users) please:-):-):-)

I would like to support project with a donation but I would like to use pen with my tablet, before:-)

Thanks a lot!

Alex