HP dv6000 & dv9000 series

Mammoth

432 posts in this topic

In terms of hassle, of which there can be a lot, one question any would be user should ask themselves from the outset is, Do I really need Windows Vista or XP when I could be installing and using just Mac OS X?

Unless you are a games player, the answer is probably an emphatic no.

If you feel you have to have Vista or XP, buy a program called Parallels and run Vista or XP in a window on the Mac operating system. It's extremely easy to use and fast enough for most things, especially with XP. The latest build doesn't work for a lot of 'Hackintosh' users (kernel panic on start) but you can download earlier builds. That way you avoid all of the dual or tri booting setup hassle, which isn't especially new-user friendly and eats up time and frustration better spent with friends and family. Seriously!

Whatever the case, be aware that installing OS X on a laptop isn't without risks. Sometimes there are heat issues, which if they don't kill your laptop will certainly shorten its life. Battery life (by which I mean how many minutes the battery lasts per charge) isn't fab.

If you do have the patience, the only thing you need to buy (I bought a copy of Tiger, which compared to XP or Vista is cheap, though of course I can't install it, just the downloaded version) is iWork and iLife, both very cheap and excellent. If you want an office suite, NeoOffice is almost as good as Microsoft's old Office 2000 suite and can open and save in Microsoft formats. In some respects it's more advanced than the old MS product. Best of all it's free and feels much like all office suites, familiar and user friendly.

I used Jas 10.4.8 and then koolcal's 10.4.10 update.

Do your homework, read everything you can. If you get frustrated easily, don't bother! Instead, ditch Vista and install XP with Flyakite's excellent system files mod. It skins XP to look passably like Panther/Tiger OS X. There are also Dock programs to give you the 'bouncy menu' 'dock' that the Mac uses.

anzoX: I used uphuck's 1.4 r2, it boots in no time.

and no, I didn't install it with the nvidia patch, just the GMA950, I think

I haven't got the HDA (High Definition Audio) working as I cant find the specific linux dump codec for my system, i think its ALC268 or something.

511 8600m gs doesn't work, nor does the 4965agn wireless chip work (but bluetooth does?)

I really want video working so I can work with FCS2.

OH, and I have the boot countdown in VistaBootPro set to 5 sec, this is the initial Vista bootloader that shows me XP, Vista, then OSX.

I set the boot countdown to zero in xp's boot.ini file so I wouldn't get a redundant option for osx after I chose XP due to the chain0 method.

I have chain0 in both C (vista) and D (xp), but in my xp boot.ini file, I have it set as C:\chain0="Mac OS X86"

Detosx: I use vista for aesthetics and media (media center); xp for audio creation: recording, editing, and mastering; and hopefully osx for video editing

Intel Wireless progress (4965AGN): http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...efinition+audio AND http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/

nVidia 8x00 Progress: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=53558&st=0

Realtek HDA: (supposedly not even working on linux yet) http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...efinition+audio

Acquired linux codec dump using SLAX live linux cd, and this tutorial: http://neonkoala.co.uk/content/view/43/34/

The codec dump for the alc268 on the dv9500t is attatched, simply use it with taruga's patch

codec.txt

Hi, I have an hp dv6000z amd turion x2, geforce go 7200.

Now, i know that my jas 10.4.8 amd intel ppf1 ppf2 iso is correct as ive checked the md5 sums and have managed to install to vmware in vista perfectly. The only time install works is direct from iso. When i even tell vmware to mount the dvd, i get a parsing plist file error. Booting from dvd direct from my bios results in the same.

What am i doing wrong? Also, i would fix this from my bios, but as you know, hp bios has much disabled.

Please help...

Thanks.

I can't get my ethernet, audio to work on my DV 6500t with the Uphuck v1.4i r2 release. Also, has there been any headway for the Wifi ( Intel 4965AGN (802.11A/G/N) Mini PCI Wireless ) or with the drivers for the nvidia 8600 GS?

I have to say this is a great topic. I got a question about a current laptop i will be buying to try OsX86.

It's going to be custom built at the Hp website

The custom hardware i selected:

Processor: Intel® Core 2 Duo processor T5300 (1.73 GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB)

Display: 15.4" WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)

Memory: 1GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)

Graphics Card: 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7400

Network Card: Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection and Bluetooth

Hard Drive: 160GB 5400RPM

Primary CD/DVD Drive: LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support

Battery: 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

price

$937.99

Ok so from what i been reading in this thread and others, i'll probably have some problems with the network card, but i want to know if the bluetooth will also give me problems?

Also i see that people were having some problems with the 7600go geforce cards that were 512mb. I have 256mb geforce 7400go. I'm pretty sure it being a "7400" will not give me any problems but i thought i'd ask anyway? and have problems with the 7400gc cards?

last question pertains to the dvd drive. Will it being a "light scribe" drive give any problems? I'm sure it won't but again i'll ask :)

Not going to order it till the 5th or 6th.

Thanks for the thread, and your comments/

Hip man, you must be stoked.

I've installed it using Uphuck's 1.4 r2 dvd (going to reinstall with r3)

Bluetooth shows up near the time, so i guess it's recognized, yet i haven't tried it

I haven't tried burning anything, yet when i had the install dvd in under OSX it recognized it

My cursory triple-boot guide a couple pages back may help you a bit, though it may be a little different for you seeing as how you only have a single HD.

The laziness of people astounds me. It's not like I just posted links to your exact question in the previous page of the thread or anything.

I saw both those links. Diabolik pulled the drivers for some reason, and I installed the wireless drivers but they didn't work for me. Maybe because I have a Wireless N card.

Hello Everyone, :(

I own a modest HP dv6134nr and have decided to install OSX beside my Vista Installation. I would like to know of any problems that HP DV6000/9000 users have encountered during or after installation.

I am aware of the Intel 3945 Wi-Fi not working and that our Conexant HD chip needs some patches to get sound. However, there have been several people on the boards reporting keyboard, mouse, & displays not showing up. Did any HP users have problems such as the ones previously mentioned?

Thanks in Advance,

.:: Gus ::.

FIX FOR AUDIO ON dv9500t - untested, but should work

I acquired a linux codec dump for the alc268 using SLAX live linux cd, and this tutorial: http://neonkoala.co.uk/content/view/43/34/

The codec dump for the alc268 on the dv9500t is attatched, simply use it with taruga's patch

EDIT: Tried it, and taruga's patch doesn't support the alc268

codec.txt

mine is 6395EA, bluetooth worked natively and was working flawlessly since then, on Jas 10.4.8 sse2 sse3 PPF1 PPF2 DVD installation.

my Geforce Go 7400 worked natively with the included nVidia drivers in the installation DVD.

I've been doing a bit of research into replacing the Intel 3945abg card in my dv6426us with a card that is natively supported (probably just the card from a Mac mini or Macbook Pro). HP has nicely locked the BIOS in these machines so that only certain cards are supported. If you try to install an unsupported card, you get a message saying:

104-Unsupported wireless network device detected.

System Halted. Remove device and restart.

It turns out that on some machines, it is a fairly straightforward (although somewhat risky) process to modify the BIOS code to accept a given card ( more on that here : http://www.richud.com/HP-Pavilion-104-Bios-Fix/ ). I'm going to look at the code on mine and see if it can be modified in this way. If it can, I'll simply buy an Airport Extreme card (they can be found fairly easily on eBay) from a recent Intel Mac (I know for a fact that the one from a Mac mini physically fits, and gives the "unsupported wireless network device" error message as I've already tried it).

I'll post my findings soon.

alright, so i got uphuck 1.4a installed on a usb drive but couldn't boot up. I went back into vista copied the partition from the usb to the internal sata with acronis and still wasn't able to boot up from either the internal or usb. i went to reinstall again and it low and behold it loaded in to OSX from the usb. couldn't see sata so tried to install the nforce sata package within osx. i click restart and the machine freezes. when i reboot i get an error message that blinks so fast that i can't even read it. tried to reinstall again and now it sees the sata but when i start to install it freezes at 3% any suggestions? i have the dv9210us model with the amd tl-52, 120gig sata, conextant sound.

Alright, I have a DV9230, so here's what I have and what I've gotten working:

BTW, I'm running 10.4.10

GeForce Go 7600 (running at 1440x900 using Titan Drivers) [no banding!]

Sound: AzaliaHD Patch (thanks InsanelyMac!)

External Keyboard (ZBoard -- not patched to any games, just the normal keyboard).

External USB Optical Mouse

USB Ports are all functioning

SD Card - NOT WORKING!

Internal Webcam NOT TESTED

Headphone Outputs / Mic Input NOT WORKING

IR Media Remote (works perfectly as long as you use the left and right keys instead of the song selection).

Top Media Buttons (volume and mute work, everything else is non responsive).

Wireless: Intel 3945 (need I say more)

Bluetooth (external D-link) [plug and play]

Total HD: 200 GB

10 Gig OSX86 Drive

the other 190 is for Windows, Apps, and Storage

Perfectly dual boots between Vista (which I haven't booted to in a week) and OSX 10.4.10.

Internal Webcam NOT TESTED
on my dv6426us, the webcam will sometimes work, sometimes not when installing from uphuck 1.4i r3. There has to be some combination of patches that either enables or kills it, but I'm still trying to work out which is the best option for it. Even when it does work, Photo Booth gives some odd problems, mostly due to the resolution I believe.For now, I've given up on my quest to mod the BIOS to allow for a different wireless card. I haven't figured out exactly which part of the BIOS file to modify, and I'm not about to brick my brand new laptop just to see if it work. I picked up a cheap USB wireless card that works fine for now in OS X.
I posted my solution to wireless networking on the dv6000t in another thread. Check out Disable whitelist on dv6000t.I gave enough information that a similar solution should be able to be created for the dv9000t with little effort and using only the tools provided. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=339537I'm using it now with my dv6103nr to post this.Enjoy! :(
Man, somehow I missed this post when reading through this thread!!! Thanks so much for it!!! I'm going to give this a try soon!

has anyone gotten the webcam to work with photobooth?

WHEN I can get the webcam working on boot, it works OK with Photo Booth, but seems to have problems with certain effects and with the effects chooser screen. I think this has to do with the resolution of the webcam, but I'm not sure.

Man, somehow I missed this post when reading through this thread!!! Thanks so much for it!!! I'm going to give this a try soon!

OK, following those directions I patched the BIOS for my system. I now have an Airport Extreme-compatible card on order from eBay ($12.95 and free shipping!), and will try it when it comes in. Once I've verified that it does work, I'll post the modded BIOS here (for current Intel dv6000t models) if anyone else wants to flash thiers to remove the whitelist check.

I have a HP Pavilion dv6436nr laptop. (nVidia GeForce 6150 Go, AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-56, 2 GB ram, 160 GB harddrive)

I downloaded the Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2] and Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1] and tested them both from DVD-Rs in VMware, and they both work flawlessly. I am using Vista Home Premium, btw.

I followed the guides [set up the hard drive exactly like recommended, i.e. made a partition and made it active, etc.], and when I boot from the DVD it displays the "Press any key to install Mac OS X or push F8 for startup options" or something to that effect. I push F8 and type in -v to display in verbose mode. Right after I click enter, a message pops up for a split second and says, "error parsing something, something, something...." It disappears so fast I can't read it, but then it goes back to the "Press any key" dialog.

I tried both DVDs and they both do the same thing. I was wondering if anyone could help me.

Can someone please tell me if they have gotten OSX to work on an HP dv6000 notebook and how?
I suggest that you actually READ the thread. Lots of people have had varying success, depending on precisely which model they have (there really is no such thing as a "dv6000", that is the series number (for example, mine is a dv6426us). Post the specs and exact model number that you have and perhaps someone can give you some advice.

By the way, if anyone wants it, I have put together a small package of essential drivers for Intel-based dv6000 series notebooks. It has network, power management, speedstep and a few other things thrown in. It works best when used with Jas 10.4.8 with PPF 1&2 + Koolkal 10.4.9 update. The whole thing is about 5MB, I can probably post it to Rapidshare.

edit: rapidshare link for those drivers: http://rapidshare.com/files/49249006/HP_Hackbook_drivers.zip