Mobility Radeon 9000 thread

hardboiledwonderland

445 posts in this topic

I've started to extract the working chipset-radeon combinations from the osx86project-website:

schema: radeon; chipset

• x700; intel 910gml
  • x600; Intel i945PM
  • 9700 mobility; (RV350 M10) Via ProSavage K8T800
  • 9700 mobility; Intel 855
  • 9600 mobility; SiS M650+ SiS962
  • x700 (dev 5652); Intel 915PM
  • mobility 9700 Pro; Nvidia Crush K8M
  • X1600; intel 945pm
  • x300; intel 915pm

I will go on, if someone else wants to contribute, just send it to me via PM, I will publish it here (with the senders nick, of course). Perhaps we can create a new thread when it is grown up...or perhaps someone finds an existing thread with combinations...

BTW: on the OSX86project.com-page is a general overview on working cards: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.4.8#AGP unfortunately no device ids...

Thx for the files! I've tried the patch with a fresh install of OSX, callisto B003 and the intel AGPgart version. Result: when using a resolution different from 1024x768 (my native is 1400x1050) the screen got blue when loading loginwindow and switching resolution. when using XGA resolution, the system boots up fine, but it seems opengl is absent - flurry shows just a white screen. the gui is somewhat slower than wi/o the ati9700.kext. when trying to change the resolution, the system freezes. profiler shows no qe and no ci...

attached find the ioreg and the dmesg.... if you need some more info or if you want me to test a different setup, I will...

PS: I've just seen that the dmesg.txt does not contain any meaningful information for the task...sorry

First of all you forget to change IOPCIDevice -> IOAGPDevice. And what about Callisto recomendation to change in ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin IONDRVFramebuffer -> CallistoFB?

It is very bad dmesg.txt. You have trouble with some other driver. It made too many logs so I don't see any messages about ATI.

Did you try 8500 with this AGPGart? Usually it crashes when talking with AGP... If we don't see any such talking then AGP driver do nothing.

I don't know about Pixel Shader support but I know that Windows driver works perfectly. So I deserve not bad driver for MacOSX.

I found interesting discussion about Radeon 9600 AGP http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=43829

It breaks OpenGL on my 9600 AGP Radeon Mobility, Resolution Change is possible. QE and CI are enabled but do not seem to work properly.

So I am back to basic 9600 Support which is PCI but with QE and CI enabled and a fixed resolution, mouselocater gets rid of most graphical mouse glitches.

I repeat: with AGPGart no QE/CI!

First of all you forget to change IOPCIDevice -> IOAGPDevice. And what about Callisto recomendation to change in ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin IONDRVFramebuffer -> CallistoFB?

:( might be that I forget to insert some basic stuff...I will check again

I repeat: with AGPGart no QE/CI!

So do you think it is better to just leave AGP for those who need it and try to get the core problem solved? What disadvantages does PCI mode on an AGP card have except lower performance? Then I would just stop fiddling around with AGP and try to get the driver working. I thought working AGP is needed (on a AGP card) for getting QE etc...

So do you think it is better to just leave AGP for those who need it and try to get the core problem solved? What disadvantages does PCI mode on an AGP card have except lower performance? Then I would just stop fiddling around with AGP and try to get the driver working. I thought working AGP is needed (on a AGP card) for getting QE etc...

I am not sure that I am right but I think that 8500 driver is not working at all with PCI graphics. AGP driver is needed to use texture memory and so OpenGL. Framebuffer driver such as Callisto don't use this memory.

About Pixel Shaders - 7500 is more older card but is successful in OpenGL so it is possible for our 9000.

May be it is possible to patch 7500 driver to work with our cards in PCI mode? Idea? As I know RS300 chip is a variant of old RV100 that is supported by 7500 driver. And Linux driver the same for both chips.

I am deep in AGP problem so temporarily I don't work on other way.

jodo. You have 10.4.9? As I found in topic (about 9600) you can't have OpenGL with new Framework. You need to replace it to older one from system 10.4.1!

Actually you don't need 10.4.1, but QE/CI support for all the ATI between 9600 and x950 (and some X1000 series that are in fact not "real X1000") disappeared with 10.4.8, so don't expect anything with any kext and OpenGL.framework since 10.4.8 and later.

Also it is recommended that you use kexts and OpenGL.framework from the same versions.

You could come to the irc on irc.moofspeak.net in the #osx86 chanel so that we can exchange some infos in a quick and easy way.

Actually you don't need 10.4.1, but QE/CI support for all the ATI between 9600 and x950 (and some X1000 series that are in fact not "real X1000") disappeared with 10.4.8, so don't expect anything with any kext and OpenGL.framework since 10.4.8 and later.

Also it is recommended that you use kexts and OpenGL.framework from the same versions.

You could come to the irc on irc.moofspeak.net in the #osx86 chanel so that we can exchange some infos in a quick and easy way.

It would be better to use this forum so that any can read the useful information. To me I can't use irc because of other time zone.

i still waiting for any report from jodo and dpeddi. May be they are already successful in other way :(

Hehe...I'm on it. But first: I don't have 10.4.1 OpenGL, I even do not have a copy of the install disk - I've already searched the forum, but all links are expired...so if someone could provide me with the framework, that would be great.

Then I'm a little bit confused: I'm using 10.4.9 at the moment (uphuck 1.4i version) - does it make sense to continue or should I install another version (e.g. 10.4.6)? I will check whether I still have a 10.4.6, might be best for working with your instructions, slice?!

I compare Radeon8500 v1.4.26 from 10.4.6 and v1.4.52 from 10.4.9.

They are different!

Inside v.26 I found PPC code - that is why I can't find place to patch

v.52 in i386 codes. Now I study it.

They are different. It means they are not wrong, not depricated, not obsolete.

Sounds interesting. I've found a JAS 10.4.7 which I have installed - but now I have the problem that I cannot login, I just get a screen with grey-white lines...grml. I will reinstall and try again or perhaps stick with 10.4.5 or 10.4.9... ;) Life is hard. But I will make it...

Some news.

I study Radeon8500 v1.4.26 and found how I can patch it.

Owner of 0x4c66 don't need this path because the driver directly support the chipset. But for me and other owner of 0x5835 I propose next operation:

Get ATIRadeon8500.kext

Set permission to be writeable (by get info)

Open /Context/MacOS/ATIRadeon8500 with HexEdit (freeware).

Find

0x663d4c510f846f

Replace by

0x663d35580f849b

After this patch the driver no more crashes with my AGPGart. It behave samely as ATIRadeon9700.

8500 - my card looks like RV280 (Radeon Mobility 9000-9200)

9700 - my card looks as R300 but mobility

While really my card is RS300. So I think the problem is not in these drivers.

I need only 1 correct parameter - VRAM address obtained by these drivers from AGP driver or another way.

I solve many problems with AGPGart driver but the last one still understandable: what is happen with commitAGPmemory method invoked by ATIRadeonXXXX driver. Nor joblo nor emersonfxbx can answer me.

So lets begin to test.

This is my version of AGPGart 2.3. It is intended for ATI bus and for INTEL agp bus. But the last one I can't to check because I have no it. I know that real Intel driver for all Intel chipsets must be more complex. As a first step I write common Intel routines and now I need to trace it.

Instructions as usual:

unpack, copy to /S*/L*/E*/

repair permissions

reboot

Then I need your ioreg.txt and dmesg.txt

IOLog space is limited so please disable during the test all extension with large outputs for example Callisto. For this test it is not needed.

I should be wonder if you will get QE/CI with this kext but I not exclude this possibility.

I don't write details because I need no lamer's test.

So lets begin to test.

yeah! Actually I was a little bit confused what setup to use, but your AGPGart answers the question partially. I will use a OSX < 10.4.8 with your AGP and the 10.4.9 Radeon8500 kext...

I don't write details because I need no lamer's test.

I will try nevertheless ^_^ next week when I'm back at home...

yeah! Actually I was a little bit confused what setup to use, but your AGPGart answers the question partially. I will use a OSX

I found that 10.4.8 Radeon8500 (v1.4.40) loaded in my 10.4.6 but the kext from10.4.9 - no!

What setup?

AGPGart+Radeon

AGPGart+Radeon+(natit, ATIinject)+ATINDRV

AGPGart+Radeon+Callisto

or something else

I will try nevertheless :D next week when I'm back at home...

jodo! You are hacker! ;)

Hello Slice

this is my little test with your agpgart, radeon modified, and natit

..after two tentatives, it crash and i have turn on whit callisto only.

i've a question, with Agpgart-radeon8500-natit, is possible 1280*800 resoluction?

Tnx very much!

I stay tuned(every day) ;)

ioreg.txt

dmesg.txt

Thanks for testing!

Hello Slice

this is my little test with your agpgart, radeon modified, and natit

..after two tentatives, it crash and i have turn on whit callisto only.

i've a question, with Agpgart-radeon8500-natit, is possible 1280*800 resoluction?

Tnx very much!

I stay tuned(every day) :D

You have too bad dmesg because of debug version of ext2fs. Temporary switch it off! I want dmesg with messages from AGPGart. And ioreg that I need must be from

ioreg -l -x >ioreg.txt

my 9200 is 5c61, and the 8500.kext is 1.424 from jas 10.4.8, which i can't find the 0x663d4c510f846f to replace with.

Yes, this 8500 is not good. Try my patched version 1.4.40. It works with 10.4.6.

In your dmesg I found

AGP: not supported 2448

AGP: Found Intel 82855 host to AGP bridge

The AGPGart needs some tune to your bus. But you send me bad ioreg.

Try ones more with command

ioreg -l -x >ioreg.txt

and don't erase useful information about AGP.

I carefully study linux driver for Radeon and found

if (info->IsIGP)

info->mc_fb_location = INREG(RADEON_NB_TOM);

else

#ifdef XF86DRI

/* Old DRI has restrictions on the memory map */

if ( info->directRenderingEnabled &&

info->pKernelDRMVersion->version_minor

info->mc_fb_location = (mem_size - 1) & 0xffff0000U;

else

When I look inside 8500 I found only last settings "(memsize...". It is an answer why in my case I get not reliable FrameBuffer address. It can't be corrected by any natit or other external drivers. I patched the place!

Now I can boot into GUI but only without GA.Plugin. So without OpenGL.

Possible reasons:

1. GA.plugin must be patched too. Searching...

2. AGPGart is not perfect. And I can't boot without AGPGart. The driver needs it! Continue to research...

3. Other reason? Suppositions?

Without the Radeon driver I have software OpenGL. With it I have all OpenGL application crashed because SoftwareOpenGL switched off, hardwareOpenGL switched on but the plugin is absent :(

Hi

this is the 2 correct txt.

I use an Hibrid 10.4.9 osx relase, whit your 8500 kext(whitout GA plugin),5835 id, 8.9.1 SSE2 kernel, your Agpgart 2.3, and finally callisto 003 fixed.

I hope of to have been useful

ps whit natit I will be able to have 1280x800 resolution?

pps if i try to use 8500 from 10.4.9 official kext, which modifications I must bring?

ppps excuse for my English

Pxxxxs which version you use for OpenGL.framework?

I stay tuned

dmesg.txt

ioreg.txt

Thks!

Hi

this is the 2 correct txt.

I use an Hibrid 10.4.9 osx relase, whit your 8500 kext(whitout GA plugin),5835 id, 8.9.1 SSE2 kernel, your Agpgart 2.3, and finally callisto 003 fixed.

I hope of to have been useful

ps whit natit I will be able to have 1280x800 resolution?

pps if i try to use 8500 from 10.4.9 official kext, which modifications I must bring?

ppps excuse for my English

I stay tuned

As I see you have the same configuration as mine. So wait.

8500 I patch in very long way. 5 new command and modifications in 2 another. It is hard to explain how to. May be later I'll make it for you.

I don't know about 1280x800 yet. As you see

Callisto: Model Radeon Mobility 9100 IGP (U3) (rv280)

It is not good. Our chipset not rv280 but RS300M. So Callisto is not good enough to change resolution.

May be you try ATINDRV+ATIinject? It is included with "ATI mobility x1600" from Diabolik.

I am not successful with it.

And look at your dmesg

AGP: WARNING! Please set your aperture to 64 or 128MB in your BIOS for more compatibility

just using your given kext, and i add 0x5C611002 onto info.plist

and here is two files you need, thx again

Yes, now I have information what is wrong in your system.

You have only AGP 2.0?! I write my AGPGart according to 3.0 specification. May be you try light version of AGPGart?

http://www.x86dev.org/forum/index.php?topic=288.0

It is not create Gart table so I don't know what is happen with Radeon8500.

2 both.

now I have your ioregs so next time I need onle dmesg from you.

To all the Radeon Mobility 9000 users who experience program crashes whenever trying to run a program with openGL (chess, parallels, vmware fusion, screen saver settings...):

Deactivate the ATIRadeon8500.kext by moving it into a backups folder. I did this, and now I can run these programs (albeit with some slow framerates).

A tutorial:

Open terminal.

type: sudo -s

Enter your password

type: cd /System/Library/Extensions

type: mkdir backups

type: mv ATIRadeon8500.kext backups/ATIRadeon8500.kext

reboot.

Enjoy software openGL (obviously not hardware). As was mentioned earlier, I believe having this kext loaded was disabling software GL while trying to enable hardware GL.

Let me know if this is in error, and if it works for people. As a note, I'm running 10.4.8 Jas, and katana (Callisto 0.3 and AGPgart 2.1t). If this does work, I think it should be at least listed in the first post, since I saw at least 3 or 4 other people with this same problem, and it at least lets things work. If someone has already posted this, sorry for the doubles.