Mobility Radeon 9000 thread

hardboiledwonderland

445 posts in this topic

Hmm. the ATIRadeon8500.kext from 10.4.8 won't load, so I guess we really do need the kext from 10.4.1 - but I don't have this.

Can anybody help with getting this file please?

Ok. I've been tinkering and this is where I'm at:

OpenGL kext as supplied by FreakyMac.

Callisto b003

AGPGart 2.2.0

System profiler reports AGP, but no kexts loaded.

Restore the ATIRadeon8500 kexts from the Katana backup folder. Rebooted, OSX couldn't load the kext (which is correct as the kext from 10.4.8 is buggy).

root:wheel on the extensions added

Removed extensions.kextcache & extensions.mkext and did the kextcache -k

Rebooted

Hangs on boot. damnit. I probably broke something.

re-install time.

I believe FreakMac is using the kext from 10.4.1 - which I don't have.

We will get a solution to this!

I got the 10.4.8 ATIRadeon8500.kext (version 1.4.40) to load. Freakymac is using 10.4.7's (1.4.26) However I'm using AGPGart 1.0. I can't get the 2.x to recognize my AGP.

9100 (devid 5835)

ATI mobo w/AGP devid of 5838

Right. I've re-installed and done the following:

Install Katana 0.3a4 (gives AGPGart2 and Callisto 003)

Install OpenGL from FreakyMac

System Profiler shows the card as using AGP, not PCI. I don't know if the OpenGL package is working or not.

What ATI kexts do I need to install?

p-J16: What exactly did you do? You're on nearly identical hardware as me. Also 8500 kext won't load unless you add 0x58351002 in the plist. The 4c66 card is in there but ours isn't. And what version of AGPGart are you using, also what versions of the 8500 kexts?

Go to system profiler>extensions if you're not sure what versions you're using.

flibblesan: just start trying stuff. Freakymac told me he was using 10.4.7 atiradeon8500.kext but i haven't verified that. from his screenshot its version 1.4.26.

Let's start compiling all the different versions of everything, and be sure to let everyone know exactly what versions of all involved kexts you are using if you make any progress.

I've tried the ATIRadeon8500.kext from 10.4.8 and it doesn't work. It's got the correct device in Info.plist but it doesn't want to load. I believe this version is faulty.

The thing is.. I've got exactly the same hardware as FreakyMac yet I cannot replicate his success ;)

flibble, Use the 8500.kext from 10.4.7, thats what i used

ok people this is what i did, I followed the How to From 'QE on the 7500' so i'll just post it here

OpenGL.framework from 10.4.1 (Get it from the 7500 pack)

Use ATIRadeon8500GLDriver.bundle from 10.4.1 (get it from 10.4.1)

Install Callisto 003

AGPGart Beta 2.1z Intel Driver (You HAVE to get this working)

ATIRadeon8500.kext, ATIRadeon8500GA.plugin, and ATIRadeon8500DVDDriver.bundle from 10.4.7

(someone please test this with the version from 10.4.5/10.4.6 please.)

Thats what i did

Allright, bit of an update after fooling around:

FreakyMac, you're not using 10.4.7 kexts you're using 10.4.6. From your screenshot you're using version 1.4.26 of the ATIRadeon8500.kext. 10.4.7's is 1.4.32, and 10.4.8 has 1.4.40

In addition, what version is your ATIRadeon8500VA.bundle? You didn't mention this one at all in your previous post.

Speaking of versions, I'd like to know what you're using for the following:

IOPCIFamily.kext

ATINDRV.kext

IONDRVSupport.kext

They may have some relevance, esp IOPCIFamily.kext. There's a lot of talk about AGPGart 2.x not working with IOPCIFamily 1.9 and higher, and 1.7 (modded from 10.4.3) or 1.8 (vanilla 10.4.4) are recommended in some places.

I'm not able to use AGPGart 2.x, as I've got an unsupported ATI motherboard (AGP Bus: pci1002,5838). This was the problem 9 months ago, and still is for me, and probably also P-J16. So I get an AGP bus reported in profiler and in dmesg only with AGPGart 1.0, though 2.x extensions will load. I had a look at the source though and it may be possible to mod agpgart a bit to fix this. I'll look more closely later. It looks fairly simple, but I haven't messed with xcode as of yet. Anyone else that's interested, you can get the src at:

http://x86dev.org/forums/index.php?topic=5.0

Anyone having problems with AGPGart in general should visit that site as well, it's Joblo's dev forum.

If anyone wants files to play with, I've got everything from 10.4.1 to 10.4.8.

flibble, Use the 8500.kext from 10.4.7, thats what i used

ok people this is what i did, I followed the How to From 'QE on the 7500' so i'll just post it here

OpenGL.framework from 10.4.1 (Get it from the 7500 pack)

Use ATIRadeon8500GLDriver.bundle from 10.4.1 (get it from 10.4.1)

Install Callisto 003

AGPGart Beta 2.1z Intel Driver (You HAVE to get this working)

ATIRadeon8500.kext, ATIRadeon8500GA.plugin, and ATIRadeon8500DVDDriver.bundle from 10.4.7

(someone please test this with the version from 10.4.5/10.4.6 please.)

Thats what i did

Shame.. I don't have any files from 10.4.1 or 10.4.6 etc :P

need to find these somewhere

Anything from 10.4.5 and later is easy: just download the intel update for that version from Apple and use pacifist to extract stuff from /System/Installation/Packages/Essentials.pkg

As for 10.4.1, I've got those files if anyone wants them. If someone wants to host them somewhere, that would be great :P

I've got 10.4.3 and 10.4.4 too if someone would like stuff from them.

im using 10.4.7 because i got the 8500 kext from my JaS 10.4.7 DVD and im using the IOPCIFamily.kext ATINDRV.kext IONDRVSupport.kext from 10.4.8, i don't mess around with them, and i didn't use the 8500VA.bundle anyway, By the way, i got the 9700.kext to load :P

I found my old JaS 10.4.6 DVD so I extracted some kexts from it. I also downloaded the updates as suggested so now I've got kexts for 10.4.6, 10.4.7, 10.4.8, & 10.4.9

Unfortunately I don't have anything older than 10.4.6

Which version had a properly working 8500 kext?

FreakyMac: Does the 9700 kext support the 9000?

getting the kext to load doesn't necessarily mean it is doing anything. For example I'm loading AGPGart 2.1z but w/o detecting any AGP bridge. But that is interesting. Keep messing around with it and xbench etc to see if anything has changed performancewise.

Flibblesan: the 9700 doesn't *support* the 9000, but its remotely possible that it could be *made to work*... I have some doubts though, its dealing with completely different cards and has the addition of pci-e stuff... I actually think our cards are more akin to the 7500 ones. Anyone try getting ATIRadeon.kext (the 7500 one) to load?

FreakyMac: using a 10.4.7 dvd doesn't mean you're using 10.4.7 kexts. The install dvds are patched up with kexts from various sources. They're not pure versions but rather what is deemed to work best at the time of release for the largest number of systems. Unless someone uses the exact same install dvd as you, we can't be sure what you're using. So you see, its quite tough to piece together w/o knowing your versions. No one's duplicated your thing yet, so its best to try and figure out what the differences are between your system and everyone else's

The ONLY way to know what you're using is to report actual kext versions. These can be found in system profiler under Extensions and Frameworks, and also show up when you do a kextstat. For stuff like bundles and other stuff, the version is usually in the Info.plist and the Version.plist inside the kext.

You posted a screenshot of your system profiler showing that the ATIRadeon8500.kext had loaded. It's showed as 1.4.26. This is the version that you get from the 10.4.6 apple upgrade. 10.4.7 uses 1.4.32. So you're using a 10.4.7 dvd that contains ATIRadeon8500 kexts from 10.4.6.

oh and it doesn't seem to matter much what version of the 8500.kext you use. They all load load w/o a kernel panic suprisingly. Stick to 10.4.6 since that's what FreakyMac is using, but I don't think it matters. But just play around, try different things. This stuff is more trial and error than anything.

argh!

I replaced the ATI kexts as suggested... and now I can't boot into OSX.

oh well.. it was worth a try.. i'm getting a new laptop anyway :(

edit: phew. removed the 9700 kext and it's working again. Editing that screwed up my system, so that's not the answer. :(

hmm did you get any error messages while booting flibblesan? Presumably it said something before it hung. Using the 9700 stuff is pretty dangerous, as is a lot of this stuff really. Having kernel panics is sort of a fact of life with this stuff.

Just for anyone who doesn't know: if you can't boot your installation due to changes you made with this stuff, you can boot up your install dvd, and when you get past the language screen you can go up to the finder bar in utilities and start terminal. Then just navigate to /Volumes/ and your hard drive should be mounted there. You can simply cd to that directory and you're in the / dir of your hard drive. Then just go to /System/Library/Extensions/ and remove all the stuff you changed. You don't *need* any of this video stuff to boot, and if you back up all your stuff somewhere like you should, then it will be easy to fix :thumbsup_anim:

The ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 Is Capable of QE (i know duh) but its proven by this:

http://www.projectomega.org/article.php?lg...extreme&p=1

Who can benefit of QE on his computer?

If you have a desktop computer, you need one of the following graphic cards:

nVidia GeForce 2MX/3/4MX/4Ti

ATI Radeon 7500/8500/9000 (forthcoming 9700???)

If you have a laptop computer, you need one of the following graphic cards:

ATi Radeon Mobility GPU (while Apple first said that 32MB of VRAM were required, they stated later that any laptop with 16MB of VRAM would benefit of QE)

Why cannot everyone benefit of QE?

There are mainly two reasons which will prevent you from using QE on your computer, and they are both hardware limitations of the graphic card you may have.

Older graphic cards, such as the unfamous Rage 128 Pro which has been widely installed with older G3s and G4s doesn't support textures that are not sized as power of 2 (i.e. 2, 4, 8, ... 256, etc.) Since you don't expect your windows to be limited to power of two sizes, you can't expect to have QE enabled on these cards.

Older graphic cards have as few as 4MB, 8MB to 16MB of video RAM. This is very little compared to what QE needs. Let's do the maths. A 300p x 300p in 32bits color depth window will need 300x300x32x2 = 5760000 bits (the latest 2 comes because of the fact that windows are double buffered in Mac OS X. Correct me if I'm wrong). 5760000b is equal to approximately 700kB. Now imagine that your Mac resolution is at least 1024x768, and that you have almost always about 10 windows, a lot of icons in your Dock, etc. and you'll understand why 8MB is really useless for Quartz Extreme, and 16MB is the minimum supported by Apple, but as the 128MB minimum RAM required by Mac OS X, they are very inadequate. When VRAM is not available anymore on the video card, the same thing that happens when you don't have enough RAM happens for your video card: your computer swaps, everything goes so slow that you can take a nap before that window finishes resizing ;-)

Did anyone tryed this?

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=8472

or

The methods below will work only for accelerated graphic cards ie. Cards which have Driver support. To check goto System Profiler -> Graphic/Display. If it says No Kext Loaded. It means u DONT have driver supoort. As of now, NOT working on All nVidia, 855, 853 etc cards.

Mostly WORKS on ATI Cards and the GMA 900.

Method 1

Open com.apple.windowserver.plist

This file is located in /Library/Preferences

Change the Quartz2DExtremeEnabled value to YES.

Method 2

If you would like to enable Quartz 2D Extreme (see this hint for more info on it), but don't have the VRAM to support it, you can change the minimum requirements by following these steps in the Terminal:

$ cd /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions\

/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources

$ sudo pico Configuration.plist

Once in the editor, change these values to match your machine (use System Profiler to get the required details):

<dict>

<key>Quartz2DExtremeEnabled</key>

<true/>

<key>Quartz2DExtremeMinimumVRAM</key>

<integer>64</integer>

<key>Quartz2DExtremeMinimumDRAM</key>

<integer>512</integer>

<key>Quartz2DExtremeVendorDisabled</key>

<array>

</array>

</dict>

Both of these methods keep Quartz 2D Extreme enabled across reboots.

i have ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 64MB with my laptop,i konw i should use the "callisto b003"driver for it in Mac OS X 10.4.7 from here, TKS guys!!

i have got a callisto b003fixed_good.zip,but it does not work properly.

The 14" LCD now is at 1024*768*16bitcolor, if i changed it to 32bit, the LCD could not display normally. :thumbsup_anim:

i tried callisto b006 last night and failed.

how can i solve it.

Can someone upload all ATI 8500 kexts from 10.4.1?

I tried to find it before I posted this message,

beleive me.

I want to test it, but I don't have the material for

testing. :-)

Probably it wil be usefull for many people.

Thank you.

I don't see anything against the law if you post a driver.

8500 kext are drivers for ATI 9xxx cards.

Also, many posts on this forum contains attachments with kexts, including Ati 7500 (the one you download for your testing).

May be I'm wrong?

Whatever, if you find that there is no problem, please upload it.

Maybe you can make some tutorial also if you have time.

(all the kexts needed + how to)

See you around,

Sasha