[How to] Boot your real Windows partition with Parallels on Hackintosh

249 posts in this topic

I was thinking to use grub or lilo somehow, but since I have had a working osx86 installation for a few months now, and did not have any 'real' xp installations, I kind of

forgot about the whole xp thing. I do not believe that it is possible to virtualize a ntfs-xp-disk on my machine.

I downloaded wingrub but since I have not got any of my other disks connected, I'm guessing that it won't work.

Possibly I am going to have to edit my darwin bootloader to see my xp installation hdd.

Also, parallels sees my xp installation fine, it just won't boot it. It just sits there indefinitely, displaying the message I am not to stop the vm or alter the guest os in any way or risk data loss. And what's more, when I boot into xp natively, it says something about paralells tools and not being able to find them anymore. That of course, makes sense.

So now I've booted into xp natively by removing the sata and ide cables where nessecary and am going to convert my xp partition to fat32 from ntfs with partitionmagic. I think I've done that before a really long time ago. Luckely I can put stuff I'm going to need on my pb and external hdds.

Ill try to install XP from within Parallels to my WinXP partition. That should write MBR to disk, it needs a format nonetheless.

Sorry it might sound a little funny, but forgive me cause I'm quite novice in these things.

Can you tell me what's the difference between this topic and this one(NTFS Read/Write Support Finally here!, Instructions!!).

because, as far as I found they are talking about the same thing. accessing Win files from OSX and OSX files from Win.

please correct me, cause I think I'm wrong, and I haven't got the idea.

Edited by Aziz

Is best to unmount the HD when it is working with Parallels?

EDIT:

I just saw that Parallels unmount the disk whe it runs the virtual machine but it says that "Boot Camp is not installed on this computer"

Any trick for that?

The post host must have missed something in his steps. I guess before we apply his method, we should first learn how to turn a native windows partition into a boot camp windows partition.

Just tried with same "disk0s1 error".

@Sherry, does your Mac OS and Windows Partitions are in the same drive?

Because I have one disk for Mac OS and another one for Files (that I intent to use as installation for XP).

Also, I migrated my XP Image from VMware and it worked great, but the Linux and the Win98 images are no so great after the migration to Parallels.

Good news for anyone who wants to kill his/her windows installation.

Because hardware differs things go horribly wrong. Yes, seeing your partition boot in Parallels is very sweet, but having to reinstall all drivers on next real windows boot really sux...

@Sherry, does your Mac OS and Windows Partitions are in the same drive?
No, they aren't in the same HD. Mac OS X is installed into a 80 GB ATA HD, Windows is installed into a 160 GB SATA HD.

Also... At this point seems that I missed something, but I wonder what...

Because hardware differs things go horribly wrong. Yes, seeing your partition boot in Parallels is very sweet, but having to reinstall all drivers on next real windows boot really sux...

I think you missed the point.

You don't have to reinstall drivers everytime.

I just installed native drivers booting Windows in native, and then I installed Parallels drivers.

It works like magic both in Parallels and native, so...

Anyway, I am wondering if it depends from hardware specifics.

My hardware is:

- AMD64 3200+ Processor (SSE2/SSE3/PAE)

- 80 GB ATA HD + 160 GB SATA HD

- ASUS A8V-E Deluxe motherboard with VIA chipset

- NVidia GeForce 6200 TC

- 512 MB DDR

Also, my Hackintosh is running Mac OS X 10.4.8.

Sherry Haibara

I will try with my Mac OS X ATA Drive...

EDIT:

I tried but same error, :angry:

Is there any file that could let parallels think Boot Camp is installed? I'll try to install the program and see what happens...

I will try with my Mac OS X ATA Drive...

EDIT:

I tried but same error, :huh:

Is there any file that could let parallels think Boot Camp is installed? I'll try to install the program and see what happens...

Well that didn't work, Boot Camp is installed yet Parallels say same thing BUT...

I DID IT,I repartitioned one of my drives to GPT, now Parallels does not complain about Boot Camp not installed, and my XP installation sees the partition too.

report more later...

I had two disks. My first drive has XP on it. My second has OS X on it. Heres my XP boot.ini....

[boot loader]
;timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT
C:\Chain0="Mac OS X86" "Quiet Boot"="Yes"

I tried disk0s1, but no go. Any ideas?

Disk util info on that disk.

Name : 	WDC WD1200JB-75CRA0
Type : 	Disk

Disk Identifier : 	disk0
Media Name : 	WDC WD1200JB-75CRA0 Media
Media Type : 	Generic
Connection Bus : 	ATA
Connection Type : 	Internal
Connection ID : 	Device 0
Partition Type : 	FDisk_partition_scheme
Device Tree : 	/PCI0@0/pci8086,244b@1F,1/CHN0@0/@0:0
Writable : 	Yes
Ejectable : 	No
Mac OS 9 Drivers Installed : 	No
Total Capacity : 	111.8 GB (120,000,000,000 Bytes)
S.M.A.R.T. Status : 	Not Supported
Disk Number : 	0
Partition Number : 	0

And heres the terminal 'mount' command

/dev/disk1s1 on / (local, journaled)
devfs on /dev (local)
fdesc on /dev (union)
<volfs> on /.vol
automount -nsl [141] on /Network (automounted)
automount -fstab [151] on /automount/Servers (automounted)
automount -static [151] on /automount/static (automounted)
/dev/disk0s1 on /Volumes/Untitled (local, read-only)

Edited by Jeezoflip

well. i followed directions from the startpost, but when i boot into windows, it's whining about a changed hardware config and wanting new activation etc.. which sux.. the end of the whole story was that my xp install was completly f*cked up and gave blue deathscreens randomly when booting.

When I did get into XP natively it was bitching about system-resource errors for keyboard and some other things.. I'm going to reinstall.. (don't know why I even bother thuogh... crappy windows.. )

Heres wht I did

1) Install Parallels and made XP partition Active and Bootable. Rebooted to confirm.

2) Completed Setup Wizard as given in guide

3) Make change in the .pvs file (added disk0s1 - WinXP partition)

4) Clicked Run

5) Parallels gave me an "Unable to Mount Error"

6) Clicked on Harddisk1 in Parallels Window

7) Clicked on Advanced TAB

8) Changed "Connect to" option from 0:0 to 1:0

9) Restarted Parallels

10) Clicked on Play Button

11) Parallels starts :D

12) Parallels says my HDD is not bootable

post-14713-1170702764_thumb.png

Exactly the same error here. Anyone already managed to get this working while having windows and osx86 installed on the same disk?

Thanks Sherry.

I've had a few failed attempts.

I had once lost all of my data in my Sata hard disk. Yesterday I saw info about success with 2nd hard drive. I bought a new Sata 250mb western D hdd. After I restored my lost data in the original hd. I started to install OSX and got the parallel running my windows partition from a different hdd successfully.

I think making both Winxp and Osx in active mode is the main reason for the successful boot.

However, there's still a few thing yet to be tested.

Thanks again guys.

This is quite handy for me because eventho I've already got a mbp. having my p4 running the same way as my mbp really helps me to make use of my old rig again.

Cheers.

Damn...

I don't know what I did.

after a few reboot. the Parallel doesn't work with my windows partition anymore.

I've tried to use "fixmbr" but it doesn't work out well.

I'm trying to format the windows partition and start over again.

ok guys.

i think I've found the reason why it acts in this way.

I've set it to boot osx for default.

Parallel only works when we set the boot sequence as winxp as default.

cheers.

ok guys.

i think I've found the reason why it acts in this way.

I've set it to boot osx for default.

Parallel only works when we set the boot sequence as winxp as default.

cheers.

Ok so what boot loader will you use? I am using Darwin and don't think I can set it to boot windows by default. Any body know how to do that? I am thinking of using win grub any way. I like grub but have never used win grub. Don't have Linux on this laptop.

Thanks,

Don

i installed Parallels on my Hackintosh but it doesn't even give me the option of selecting bootcamp. Do I have to install bootcamp before it recognizes my windows partition? also i use Windows bootloader, and from there I select to boot OSX, does that make a difference? my Windows partition is disk0s1 and OSX is disk0s2.