SONY VAIO AND OSX? Audio| Wireless|Geforce|Others

332 posts in this topic

Hello @all!

I am since a couple of weeks also a proud owner of a SZ3XWP and installed OSx86 a couple of days after I bought it.

Unfortunately I am not (yet! - since I am not giving up so soon!) very experienced with OSx and most of my hardware isn't really working well - or at all. You can see on my signature what is available or not.

My main problem is - like with most of you - with the grafic cards. I just can't get it to be recognized and no matter what I do I can't get the 1200 * 800 resolution working. I have tried all Macvidia drivers by now and also followed several "how-to's" in this forum without sucess. I am not yet aiming for the QE/CI problems, in the first place I would just really like to have my correct resolution working and then move on to the next hardware piece that needs my attention (network would also be great...).

I have started a new thread here but I am not having any luck on replies, so I was hoping you guys could help me a bit further?

Does any of you have a VAIO with the same specs (or some of them) and can put me on the right track in how to get this stuff working? I am really starting to get desperate after a couple of non-stopping days reading and no decent results... :whistle:

Any help would be much appreciated and will surely be of help for other VAIO users as well in the future! :tomato:

Thanks,

Collins

as far as I know, you will be able to get the Go7400 working on an external monitor (QE/CI enabled, resolution changing, rotation,...) but not with the internal LCD... If any Natit/Titan/NVidiaEFI/... driver is installed, the LCD just won't be recognised anymore... :whistle: until now I did not find any solution yet, I stopped looking after it 2 weeks ago, as I don't have enough time right now.

the 945GM should be working fine with the standard packages on the DVD, or drivers which you can find on the forums here, you should have QE/CI, resolution,... working with a good driver! Don't forget to put the stamina button into max battery or something like that (my model doesn't have the 945GM.. too bad :tomato: )

Ethernet should be working to with the right driver/edits, you'll need to search the forums for that ;)

your sigmatel card should do fine with Taruga's Patcher (search forums)

that PCMCIA Unknown Model.. don't know what it is, but it's not that important if you don't need it, it's propably a memorycard reader or the built in modem... As far as I know, nobody needs the modem, and there are no drivers for the memory card readers...

Wireless, intel, drivers are in development, but they don't support encryption,... yet, I did not try them for myselve.. and for the DLink device, search the forums or look at DLinks site, there might be a driver for that... some do have OSX drivers, others not

webcam: try macam, it recognises my webcam but it doesn't work yet, but that's not much a priority for me now ;)

succes! and don't give up! it took me a long time to get everything working, but once you have a bit of knowledge, it's quite easy ;)

Hi JeroenJ,

Thank you for your reply!

I have just started a fresh install of the OS. I just couldn't get rid of this feeling, that after having tested probably 20 different possibilities to get the grafics running, I probably destroied more then I actually was able to fix.... :tomato:

My main aim would be to get the 1200*800 on the vaio's own screen. There are several other computers running at my place, so the external display is not an issue.

As soon as the OS is up and running I will try again (and again, and again!) until I get this working! Not giving up and the more I read, the more I learn. Just sometimes it's really difficult to find your way on the forum (even with the search function...) because everybody seems to have found a good solution for it's hardware, but rarely works for all the other users... :whistle:

I think the search function is not quite good implemented, and it's sometimes quite chaotic!

the wiki should be reorginised, and much more documented! more people should describe how they got their hardware working etc. etc.

anyway, if you search long enough, and read enough, you'll find what you need, I've spend hours of searching on the forums and it was worth it :D

Hi JeroenJ,

Thank you for your reply!

I have just started a fresh install of the OS. I just couldn't get rid of this feeling, that after having tested probably 20 different possibilities to get the grafics running, I probably destroied more then I actually was able to fix.... :blush:

My main aim would be to get the 1200*800 on the vaio's own screen. There are several other computers running at my place, so the external display is not an issue.

As soon as the OS is up and running I will try again (and again, and again!) until I get this working! Not giving up and the more I read, the more I learn. Just sometimes it's really difficult to find your way on the forum (even with the search function...) because everybody seems to have found a good solution for it's hardware, but rarely works for all the other users... :thumbsup_anim:

The 1200x800 resolution is an easy fix. Go into your BIOS and enable the option to fill the entire screen. Then OS X will detect the LCD correctly after bootup and you will be running in full native resolution.

sure about this? I don't have this option in my BIOS, I only get a stretched 1024*768 resolution on my screen....

I'll recheck my BIOS to be sure, but I'm quite sure there is no such option for me :poster_oops:

I can change the setting in the nvidia control pannel on windows.. but that has nothing to do with the bios I guess

Hi for those who have problem's with their gma945 native display i have a solution for them.

I myself are using a Vaio TX-57 (ASIAN VERSION), all you need is

AppleIntelGMA950.kext version 1.4.40

AppelIntelGMA950GA.plugin version 1.4.40

AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle version 1.4.40

AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle version 1.4.40

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext version 1.4.18

I've tried the version 1.4.20,1.4.40 on the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer it gives me garbled display.

First u have to set to expand lcd in your bios,insall the kext i mentioned above after that it will give you your native display ie 1280*800.

For those who want's to maintain the lcd default res ( no expand in bios) download displayutilty from macvidia website, open terminal and type

ioreg -l -w0 | grep EDID

copy the EDID and paste onto the displayutility, afterthat it will create your monitor info.

Open your DisplayProductID-XXX using plist editor paste AGAIN your EDID in IODisplayEDID (the whole string you copied from your terminal) once done, like mine was generated as

DisplayVendorID-0610/DisplayProductID-9d0a (renamed my DisplayVendorID-0610 to DisplayVendorID-610)

Since DisplayVendorID-610 is already inside the System/Library/Displays/Overrides folder, all i did was copy my DisplayProductID-9d0a into it.

Sudo chown, chmod , repairpermissions then reboot.

Basicly once u have the right kext booted natively it shouldn't be a problem for creating your monitor info.

BTW i'm using Jas 10.4.8 sse2 sse3.

Correct me if i'm wrong as far as i know the VAIO SZ series has a stamina switch on thier notebook, once switched to stamina mode it will automatically use the GMA display graphics card. That's y they can choose gma or the nvidia but not for the tx,fe,s or the other series.

Correct me if i'm wrong as far a

Hello Fellow Vaioers.

Can someone with a prepatched AppleHDA file for SigmaTel 9225 send me the file?

I am hjaving problems with the patcher app crashing every single time.

kthx.

G

:happymac:

Hello Fellow Vaioers.

Can someone with a prepatched AppleHDA file for SigmaTel 9225 send me the file?

I am hjaving problems with the patcher app crashing every single time.

kthx.

G

;)

are you using the right version of the patch/kernel ? it only supports kernel 8.8.1+ and you should download the latest patch! it should work :)

is AppleHDA.kext the only kext that get's modified ?

also, is there anyone that has a docking station for the FE-series and got sound working on that ? (VGA, USB,... is working on my dock)

I've also noticed that standaard Vista drivers don't work, I need to download them from Sony's site, so I guess there is a special modification to make sound output on the dock working...

• 2 weeks later...
For those who want's to maintain the lcd default res ( no expand in bios) download displayutilty from macvidia website, open terminal and type

ioreg -l -w0 | grep EDID

copy the EDID and paste onto the displayutility, afterthat it will create your monitor info.

Open your DisplayProductID-XXX using plist editor paste AGAIN your EDID in IODisplayEDID (the whole string you copied from your terminal) once done, like mine was generated as

DisplayVendorID-0610/DisplayProductID-9d0a (renamed my DisplayVendorID-0610 to DisplayVendorID-610)

Since DisplayVendorID-610 is already inside the System/Library/Displays/Overrides folder, all i did was copy my DisplayProductID-9d0a into it.

Hi i am having the screen resolution problem (1024x768 streched to fill my widescreen). I have tried few drivers but non of them works. I am new to mac so if you kindly explain the quoted parts in little more details may be i can give it a try. sounds like it will work. i have a vaio c1z with nvidia go 7400.

thanks in advance

Hi i am having the screen resolution problem (1024x768 streched to fill my widescreen). I have tried few drivers but non of them works. I am new to mac so if you kindly explain the quoted parts in little more details may be i can give it a try. sounds like it will work. i have a vaio c1z with nvidia go 7400.

thanks in advance

Sorry bro but at the moment laptops especially Vaio with NVidia chipsets are unlikely to be successfull.Last time i had a vaio S series which is also using a NVidia Display (Geforce 6400 Go) but not successfull at all using NVidiaEFI,Natit or even Titan. The only thing that i did get native res was using 10.4.7 and Macvidia drivers (1280*800) but definetly no QE and CI.

Unless your laptop supports stamina mode which it will automatically switch to GMA950 then u can use my method above. But remember u must have QE and CI then u can get your LCD EDID correctly from mac.

And for those who still can't get the GMA 950 working natively with QE and CI it's the AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext, u have to use an older version.

One more thing is there anybody out there has brightness control on their Display Preference. I can't seem to get it working.

Guys...

I have Sony Vaio VGN-FS630/W

I've installed JAS 10.4.8 with PPF1 including kernel 8.8.1

display => worked with resolution 1280 x 800 QE & CI supported after applying Diabolik GMA 900 Fixer

dual display disable by applying two cable trick to the monitor output jack

sound card => worked (choose azalia patch when installing)

ethernet => worked after restoring some kext files from previos version 10.4.7

wireless => doesn't work (any idea how to make this work???)

usb => worked (usb mouse doesn't work, usb wireless mouse work, strange isn't it???)

firewire => not tested (no device to be tested :( )

card reader => no memory card to be tested

pwr management => there is an icon at the taskbar, however sleep function doesn't work (any idea how to make this work???)

the lifetime of the battery is very short (less than an hour, if using ubuntu or xp is more than 2 hours), how to fix this ???

fn keys => anybody success to make these keys functioning ????

modem => doesn't work (any clues??? )

regards

• 2 weeks later...

Neo,

can you please provide the Files you listed for Intel 945GM or please explain how to get.

Hi for those who have problem's with their gma945 native display i have a solution for them.

I myself are using a Vaio TX-57 (ASIAN VERSION), all you need is

AppleIntelGMA950.kext version 1.4.40

AppelIntelGMA950GA.plugin version 1.4.40

AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle version 1.4.40

AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle version 1.4.40

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext version 1.4.18

I've tried the version 1.4.20,1.4.40 on the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer it gives me garbled display.

First u have to set to expand lcd in your bios,insall the kext i mentioned above after that it will give you your native display ie 1280*800.

ioreg -l -w0 | grep EDID

Basicly once u have the right kext booted natively it shouldn't be a problem for creating your monitor info.

BTW i'm using Jas 10.4.8 sse2 sse3.

Correct me if i'm wrong as far as i know the VAIO SZ series has a stamina switch on thier notebook, once switched to stamina mode it will automatically use the GMA display graphics card. That's y they can choose gma or the nvidia but not for the tx,fe,s or the other series.

Correct me if i'm wrong as far a

Neos, could you please provide the files you mentioned or explain ow to get them?

Thanks in advance

As for those who can't get their GMA 950 on their VAIO working , these are the kext.

Remember only those which have GMA950 display OR the Vaio SZ series which they can change to stamina mode (from NVIDIA to GMA950)

First on your laptop BIOS please set to stretch or expand LCD , boot into OSX.

On your osx goto System/Library/Extensions/

delete

AppleIntelGMA950.kext

AppelIntelGMA950GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

If there is no such file, just proceed and put the one i provided.

Then open terminal, type

sudo -s

enter your password

Then type

sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleIntel* && chmod -R 755 AppleIntel*

Close terminal.

Under System/Library/ delete Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext

Repair diskpermissions under disk utility, and restart your osx.

Letme know if it works, cheers.

GMA950.zip

As for those who can't get their GMA 950 on their VAIO working , these are the kext.

Remember only those which have GMA950 display OR the Vaio SZ series which they can change to stamina mode (from NVIDIA to GMA950)

First on your laptop BIOS please set to stretch or expand LCD , boot into OSX.

On your osx goto System/Library/Extensions/

delete

AppleIntelGMA950.kext

AppelIntelGMA950GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

If there is no such file, just proceed and put the one i provided.

Then open terminal, type

sudo -s

enter your password

Then type

sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleIntel* && chmod -R 755 AppleIntel*

Close terminal.

Under System/Library/ delete Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext

Repair diskpermissions under disk utility, and restart your osx.

Letme know if it works, cheers.

Neos, thanks for the files.

I did it like you described. When I boot my Laptop (VAIO-SZ3XWP) I' get the grey Apple Screen. The it changes to apple blue, then Black, then apple blue and finally black. The only think on my Screen is the mouse pointer.

Do you have any other idea? Please help.

rb32, what osx are you using? All i did was using 10.4.8 JaS SSE2 and SSE3( also tried the ppf1+ppf2 version )

Installed using customized option by just selecting Intel SSE2 and SSE3, did not select the GMA package from JAS.

Basically from what i see is now is that either you

Reboot your laptop connected to a monitor, from there try to configure from display preference

OR

Fresh reinstall OSX86 if your way of setup is not identical from mine.

Or could you pls tell the method you've done from scratch.

PS have you switched to stamina mode?

Neos!

Tell me pls, where is this switch to stamina mode?

I have Mobile Intel®955XM/945GM/PM/GMS/940GML Express PCI Express Root Port-27A1

and Mobile Intel®955XM/945GM/PM/GMS/940GML Express Processor to DRAM Controller-27A0

in Sony Vaio VGN-AR21SR, but I can't find switch to stamina :)

Basically there's a switch from stamina (GMA950) to speed (NVidia), i did a little bit homework for your notebook but basically i don't see any stamina mode.

For all those who have problems with their notebook display (NVidia) your best luck is www.macvidia.com

As far as i know not even one Vaio notebook owners with NVidia Chipset are able to get QE and CI on their display but connect to external monitor no problem.

Is there a fix for the audio ACL262 headphone problem. Can't hear anything from the headphone, but the speaker is working fine. Any fix yet?

And also, the 3945G wireless?

Taruga's patcher is for a Signatel audio, not ACL262, I think, but haven't try it yet.