The Nokia N800, The iPhone Rip-off.

Orea

21 posts in this topic

I like how they say "high resolution widescreen display" but don't give a resolution.

Other than the interface (which looks complicated) it's a pretty cool device... depending on just how well it can surf the net, of course!

You do know that Apple ripped of the LG phone, right?

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/01/11/i...rated-at-birth/

Good find; I wasn't aware, as I am sure most people aren't with all the Apple iPhone buzz clouding the media.

The iPhone interface is miles better in comparison to the LG one though.

You do know that Apple ripped of the LG phone, right?

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/01/11/i...rated-at-birth/

Nah, it is not a rip-of. It is just due to the used technique that they look similar.

The main differences between the iPhone and the Hongkong Pradalette are the

OS and the touchscreen. And if you look closely, you may notice that both phones

are 90% touchsceen. Also both phones are finger TS not stylus TS. So I don't think

they even had a chance to look more different than that :)

Edited by xtraa

• 10 months later...

No, the N series tablets are Linux based and pre-date the iPhone by a few years. I love my little N800 but it's not a telephone (it'll do skype though). My boss has the iPhone and it's also a nice device, but in a very different way. He can't run Kismet /Kismac on his iPhone as I can on the N800, but I'm sure somewhere geeks more talented in coding than I are working on that . . .

I like how they say "high resolution widescreen display" but don't give a resolution.

Other than the interface (which looks complicated) it's a pretty cool device... depending on just how well it can surf the net, of course!

it's 800x480. more pixels than an iphone, and good enough for non-HD video, but this isn't really trying to compete with cellphones. the iphone display also has a higher DPI (160 vs ~130 or so for the N800), making everything look a little crisper on screen in spite of the lower pixel count.

i'm also pretty sure the N800 came out before the iphone. in any case, they're completely different products; nobody would buy a N800 if they need to make calls or be out of wifi range for any amount of time, and most people wouldn't buy an iphone if they just want something to surf the web on. it's not a ripoff of the iphone in any way.

I told you this would happen. Apple does something and than anything remotely similar (These aren't even the same type of device as people have pointed out, but what the hell, according to Bayliss it's a 'rip off'), even which has a successor that pre-dates the iPhone by years, will be a 'rip off.'

Rubbish. It's not a phone and it has a terrible interface that is very "early-90's MP3 player"-looking.

Does it sync with iCal? thought so.

It has a better interface than IPhone. It has stylus that you can used to surf the web better than your finger. Plus it has a better resolution screen. Who cares about iCal, as I never used it on my OSX86 anyway.

The Nokia N770, N800 are better engineered devices, with a better interface, and at a better price, than the IPhone.

• 2 months later...
Rubbish. It's not a phone and it has a terrible interface that is very "early-90's MP3 player"-looking.

Does it sync with iCal? thought so.

Yes, it will synch with ical and a number of other formats.

-mg