Intel Wireless driver

jalavoui

3,992 posts in this topic

TEk,

Have you made sure to use hex format when entering your wep key? (xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) It MUST be in this format at the moment. It's one of the things I plan to change. Otherwise, the driver seems to be working pretty well. It sometimes needs a bit of patience since there is a bug somewhere that's interfering with I/O, but it eventually comes around. Occasionally I've had to reload a web page after it appears to hang, but all in all, it is at least useable now.

I'm about a quarter of the way through cleaning up iwi2200.cpp right now and will continue to do so throughout the week, making sure to harden the logic as I go and clean up things like goto's and other odd logic issues. After that I'll take a closer look at why the driver seems to hang from time to time. It could be the TX issue that Jalavoui has repeatedly mentioned. But, if the linux driver is working properly, we should be able to sync up the darwin version with it, at least logically. I am seeing that there are several functions that are empty - perhaps not yet ported - and there are some things that are commented out I want to take a closer look at, like the transmit queue.

Anyway, when I'm finished the code cleanup, I'll figure out some way to make it available. The obvious way will be via svn, but I'm not sure what the procedure is yet for committing code changes.

Later.

Congratulations for the best effort!!! I tried the intel 2200bg driver with 64bit hex and with 128 bit hex key chain and works flawlessly under 10.4.9 intel in my dell d610.

The problem I had was with the key format but using the xx:xx:xx hex format worked smooth and it managed to get ip address.

Keep up the good work

jalavoui, thanks for all your efforts on this project, your work will be missed..

iwi2200 latest version posted is working well with my 128bit WEP (with XX:XX:XX:...... format). Still a bit of a Tx issue as mentioned, but is def the best yet..

Special thanks to jghodd & Symuc for picking up on the project! Hopefully you can work together on this, as two minds are always better than one. With your combined knowledge, it sounds like we could end up with some pretty smooth driver(s) here.. Cheers and thx for efforts!

for developpers

anyone can help writting new code for the iwi drivers

if you wish to help just post what you have done in here so i can try to help

iwi 2100/3945/4965

latest svn version is uptodate

iwi2200

this fixes some firmware errors at first driver load

and add more stability to rx/tx packets speed

So after playing with the latest posted iwi2200 more, I began to notice more of a lag than before. I reverted to the 2nd to last posted (from the above post) and am noticing better speed for some reason..

iwi2200

this fix the tx packet speed problem

with this version i get 1,2Mb/s in samba/afp

the speed is more stable in a afp share.

i'm unable to update the svn tree due to quota limititations.

OK yet another update, went back to THIRD to last posted version (above), and I could be mistaken, but seems to be fastest iwi2200 of the three. Let me know if anyone else tests this...

Hello guys,

I got Mac OS X 10.4.8, with Laptop Compaq nc6220. (Network card: Intel BG2200)

I've installed the internet driver from here (also the NetworkSelector program): http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/

Now, when i open the NetworkSelector and i choose my network, and it telling me "Status: Scanning" forever.

I've been waiting like 20 miniutes and nothing changes =\

Please do you have some advice that can help me?

Thanks,

Forks Holder.

P.S.

After we'll connect, i need a static IP adress.

Do i need to write it in the program?

I don't understand you guys...

Eventhough It is emphasized there is no support for Leopard yet , how come do you expact it work on Leopard with kernel 10.5.0 or 10.5.1 ?

Mac OS X version

This drivers are made for 10.4.x there's no support for 10.5 at this time

JG,

thanx for your response also anyone else who is shooting tips around.  not sure what u mean by hex.  i am using 64bit hex wep, but are you saying that i must use the colans : ?  I didnt use them but i was able to connect to the network and browse network folders with no problem and connected right away.  the only problem is that i got an error saying no internet.  I did order a broadcom, but not sure if my toshiba is even a mini pci.  i have to unscrew the whole bottom off to find out.  i will wait till i get the broadcomm to do that.  i will try the hex with : in it.  i will let u know how it goes.  oh yeah any one get a sound max soundcard working in 10.4.8?

thanx

I have good news, and I have bad news.

The good news is that I have something compiling under Leopard. It does next to nothing at the moment, though, except initialize the EEPROM and read the MAC address. However, it does show up in System Preferences as an Airport card, complete with the correct Airport ID, so it's at least a step in the right direction.

Also, in the process I've learned how to read the kernel panic screen (why, oh why, couldn't Apple put in an OpenBSD-like interactive debugger? I don't have a second machine to do two-system debugging!) Something Apple doesn't mention in their scant documentation: IO80211Controller::attachInterface() calls this->apple80211Request(...). That was an annoying bug to track down.

Now for the bad news: I'm not exactly sure where to go from here, and I have no idea how long it'll take to get there. I'm new to driver development, and still trying to understand both how the Linux driver is written, and how one writes a network / wireless driver under OS X.

In any case, I'll keep people updated.

THE TEKnishin, what Toshiba laptop do you have? I have a Toshiba L20 as you can see in my sig, and mine has a mini-pci. On mine, you do not have to take the whole of the bottom of the laptop off; there is a hatch almost directly under the touchpad that unscrews, covering the mini-pci slot. Which Broadcom did you get in the end,and for how much?

Hey I have a Toshiba R15-S829 tablet.  I recieved the wireless card Broadcomm BCM94309MP (from ebay $35) today and I did have to take the whole assembly apart (sucked), but i swapped it out.  The problem is now it is not detected or anything.  It is wierd I thought it was supposed to be picked up as an airport card.  I cant even see it in the system profiler.  I highly doubt it is bad and i highly doubt it is installed incorrectly.  Any ideas? Thanx guys keep up the work and let me know if you need any help.

iwidarwin development

as you all know i no longer have a computer to write code for the iwi drivers.

but i thing i still can help other developers on making the drivers work.

i will keep this project going :(

thanks

about the svn tree

the tree as exceed it's limit of 100MB

i've contacted the google guys and asked for more cota but they don't answered

can anyone from iwidarwin admin try to fix this?

the svn tree is important to keep the code up to date and allow people to test the latest releases.

iwi2200

i've just placed last build version (copyed from this thread) in iwidarwin downloads

this was my last built version and it supports wep networks.

Hmmm... that is the same chipset used in the dell 1450, which is known to work perfectly. If you modified any kexts related to wireless networking, that may be your problem. You may also need driver, but I'm not sure. Also, could it be possible Mac doesn't want to pick up your PCI slots?

can it work under kalyway non vanilla kernel?

Thank you

Can what work under Kalyway without the vanilla kernel? There are a couple of drivers for a couple of intel wireless cards. All of the drivers released, including all (most probably) to be released drivers, should work regardless of whether or not the vanilla kernel is installed. The only wireless card I know of that does not, as of yet, have a working driver under os x is the intel wireless 3945 card.

So yes, all of these drivers should be able to work with Kalyway even if you are using the vanilla kernal, but don't try the Intel 3945 wireless driver because it causes a kernal panic, (aka: you wont be able to boot your computer), while all of the other drivers for the other intel cards work (all be it with some tweaking because of hardware particularities).