Intel Wireless driver

jalavoui

3,992 posts in this topic

Hi, trying out the new iwi2200 driver!

For some reason I can't get WEP to work. It seems to accept any password I put in and say it's connected but no connectivity. I tried both hex & regular passphrase, as well as incorrect ones. Also, it won't get a DHCP address. I tried a manually setting one, still no luck on getting connectivity though. Anyone have ideas or extra steps that need to be taken to get this to work? I wanted to make sure before posting any logs. I didn't see where to edit the MAC address into the Info.plist, perhaps that is the problem?

Other than that, on an open network, the speed def seems better. Not as lenthy pauses/freezes. Awesome work so far.

I have had the same success. I can connect with wep hex key 64bit, but dhcp doesn't work. Tried to staticaly sign but no internet. Open access works great tho, and fast. Thanks for this, alienware is finally running osx!!!

hp laptop--> BIOS hack needed

not hp laptop---> depends and i dont know more

i hope that is clear enough ;)

The BIOS hack is needed if the card is not in the Whitelist.

If you put a Broadcom Card from C714NR on a DV6626us works perfectly....so I would definitely try to buy an HP part on ebay like the one that I used

Jalavoui : I'm not a developer but I don't worry about destroying my whole system here so I'd like to help the community for keeping this project going. I have got a 4965a/g/n and want to use it under Leopard. I do have some knowledge in Linux so I compiled source files before. But honestly I have no idea what do here exactly. If you could tell me all steps , how to compile it , one by one and I would notify you with results one by one. With expectation, I know we could port it into Leopard at the end. Thanks.

I've decided to take a look at the code to see what's going on.

Under Leopard, the furthest I've seen the code get successfully has been to try to init the EEPROM. Curiously, where it starts to fall apart is in base.c around line 1580:

u32 gp = iwl3945_read32(priv, CSR_EEPROM_GP);

I'm not quite sure what GP is, but the value it contains is 0f802020, which does not have a valid mask. Curiously, a Google search of 0f802020 turns up a pair of Linux kernel panics while working on iwl3945 drivers, where EAX contains that value. What could this magic number mean, and why is it getting returned in the operation above?

Me too, I can try to developpe with you!

I'm sure that intel 3945 can use on Leopard 10.5.1

Thanks a lot guys for your work!

I have a 3945 AGB and I hope you will be able to find a solution!!

I am only a normal Windows/Mac user and i can't help you....but with my soul I support you!! ;-)

I have had the same success. I can connect with wep hex key 64bit, but dhcp doesn't work. Tried to staticaly sign but no internet. Open access works great tho, and fast. Thanks for this, alienware is finally running osx!!!

I don't know why you are getting that error. On my hackintosh, it's work fine with wep open 128bits, using an ascii passphrase. I get ip address etc.... and ok. I can just notify that there is a tx speed problem with Safari. On my side that take some time to send http/dns requests. It's work better with firefox in my opinion. Except last issue.... the lastest iwi2200 svn is really stable.

iwi2100

i'll wait for someone to read the howto post logs and submit fresh logs.

i'd like to put iwi2100 to work - i know it's an old card but i've learned a few things that i use in iwi2200 from writting code for other drivers

Does this mean that the 2100 has issues with builds such as Kalaway? I tried installing on an IBM T41 laptop running Kalaway and I am rebooting continually..

Hi,

I just downloaded the latest drivers from http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/.

I installed it fine but running the installer. my Intel 2915ABG is detected and I see networks but I can't connecto to them... Current status in Network Selector shows scanning... in the log it reads

iwi2200: disassociated: 'linksys' mac address

iwi2200: network cap 0x401 flags 0x406

iwi2200: AUTH_SEQ_1

iwi2200: network cap 0x401 flags 0x406

iwi2200: failed when associating to this network

This is a unsecure network...

I'm using a IBM Thinkpad R52

Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG

Running Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.4i r3

Any help would be great!

I've decided to take a look at the code to see what's going on.

Under Leopard, the furthest I've seen the code get successfully has been to try to init the EEPROM. Curiously, where it starts to fall apart is in base.c around line 1580:

u32 gp = iwl3945_read32(priv, CSR_EEPROM_GP);

I'm not quite sure what GP is, but the value it contains is 0f802020, which does not have a valid mask. Curiously, a Google search of 0f802020 turns up a pair of Linux kernel panics while working on iwl3945 drivers, where EAX contains that value. What could this magic number mean, and why is it getting returned in the operation above?

the driver needs to read the eprom to get the card mac address. this is done in start()/gethardwareaddress()

you can check the firmware loading code - it uses iomallocontinous(). i've replaced this in iwi2200 and got better results.

check the ionetwork/iopcifamily source code in apple darwin. maybe something as changed in 10.5

in 10.4 you don't get this kind of bugs

Hi all

I have got Laptop Asus A6JC and JAS 10.4.8. It has go intel 3945abc wifi card.I installed lastest iwi3945 driver.

At first time my card was detected as Air Port but it couldnt be started, and when I tried to join my Wfi network i get Kernel Panic and I wasnt able to start my OS again.

Second time I installed driver again and system found net network device

" PCI Ethernet Slot pci8086,4222 ". It is detected as network card.

When I try to start network selector a got

# Could not get ID for kernel control. 2

# logout

Any ideas?

Thank you very much for your work.

Jalavoui,

I've started looking through your code and reworked MemoryDmaAlloc because it jumped out at me immediately as a little logic-impaired. My changes are below. Fixing this routine made a big difference in stability - no kernel panics since, but I haven't extensively tested it either. I do know I can now use firefox again without hanging most of the session restore.

IOBufferMemoryDescriptor *

darwin_iwi2200::MemoryDmaAlloc(UInt32 buf_size, dma_addr_t * phys_add, void * virt_add)

{

IOBufferMemoryDescriptor * memBuffer = NULL;

IOMemoryMap * memMap = NULL;

if (virt_add == NULL || phys_add == NULL)

return NULL;

memBuffer = IOBufferMemoryDescriptor::inTaskWithOptions

(

kernel_task,

kIODirectionOutIn | kIOMemoryPhysicallyContiguous | kIOMapInhibitCache | kIOMemoryAutoPrepare,

buf_size,

PAGE_SIZE

);

if (memBuffer == NULL)

return NULL;

memMap = memBuffer->map();

if (memMap == NULL)

{

IWI_DEBUG("mapping failed\n");

memBuffer->release();

return NULL;

}

*phys_add = memMap->getPhysicalAddress();

*(IOVirtualAddress *)virt_add = (IOVirtualAddress)((void*)memMap->getVirtualAddress());

memMap->release();

return memBuffer;

}

Enjoy. Sorry the posting blew away the code formatting.

I'll keep poking around in your code as I have time... since I have my own vested interest in getting it to work properly. :-)

-------------------------

HP nc6220 w/ iwp2200

JaS 10.4.8

Hi, when using this, I can't connect to my home WEP network; it'll only connect of it is unsecured, but I would prefer it to have some level of security to prevent unauthorized people accessing my network.

When I try to connect, it says:

linksys Getting IP Address

IP Address [169.xxx.xxx.xxx]

No internet connection!

Or something along those lines. Please help, as I much prefer Mac to Vista, but I'm forced to use it at the moment because of this.

Thanks

:( NO! Say it isn't so Jalavoui!

Unfortunately, I only have my work laptop (Thinkpad T60) or I'd let you borrow mine. I'm new to OS X, but Ill be glad to help test the 3945 code. I have tested it, but since my errors are similar to others posted, I wanted to keep from regurgitating the same info.

With that said, I'm familiar with linux and ndiswrappers. Is there way to do something like this under Mac OS X since it has a bsd base?

Also, I have xcode and have been looking through the source, but I don't have the background needed for OS X, so I have a BIG learning curve. Can you point me in a direction? I'll see what I can do. I am looking specifically at the 3945 since that's what I have.

i no longer have a computer to work on the iwidarwin project

if you like to donate visit http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/

this is the last source for iwi2200 others are in the svn tree

thanks to you all

Sorry to hear you have to stop development, Jalavoui. Hope you can manage to raise enough to come on back.

Rvestal, I'm also new to OS X, but it looks like Jalavoui has already converted a substantial volume of the original iwp linux driver code, so examples are a'plenty throughout. He also appears to have left much of the original code in place, but commented out. From the project page you can also download an OS X Prism 802.11 driver to use as a guide.

Personally, I'm starting by just going through the code and cleaning up what's obvious. After that I'll probably take a look at the iwp2200 linux driver code as a comparison. There's a load of OS X-specific code in the iwidarwin project already, and most of it can be researched online. I've already had to learn the difference between IOMalloc and OSMalloc. :-)

I don't know how much time I can put into this, but I need a wireless driver for this laptop so I guess I'll have to work on it some.

So you have some idea of my level, I've been a software engineer for 24 years, about half of which was in embedded systems development, and most of the rest as a systems developer. My languages are primarily c, c++ and java.

hey all, newby here osx86 fam.   i am doin pretty good on my own especially with the posts that everyone has left and the hard work everyone has done in supporting hardware and tutorials.  I installed the svn 2200bg drive and i get as far as everyone else.  connect with wep but no internet.  i tryed every manual way to force it but nothing.  i am sure someone will figure it out soon or later.  I am just here to ask how I can help in the troubleshooting or if i can at all.  i didnt recieve any errors or crashes at all.  Maybe of there is a log that could be useful just let me know which one it is and how to accuire it.  I will post any of my findings on here.  

Could someone give me alternitive mini pci cards to the 2200bg?  sorry if this has already been answered.  

thanx

TEk

Thanks Javaloui for all of your great work, I am very sad to hear your are leaving us though. I can only pray that the work continues, and so thankyou jghodd for future help.

@ The TEknishin, the best cards to go for are ones with Broadcom chipsets, as these get picked up instantly as airport extreme cards with no drivers i don't think. Dell cards are usually the way to go, as these have Broadcomm chips in, and over here in the UK you can get hold of one for around £15 for a 1370 or something like that.

jalavoui, it's a shame to hear that. Thank you for all you've done so far.

I recently picked up the code, and have started to take a look at it. I've never done driver work before, so if I do manage to get something working, it'll be a while.

Having said that, tonight I scrapped what I was trying to do, and instead began attempting to come up with an unholy synthesis of the iwi3945 drivers from Linux, jalavoui's IO80211 drivers, and other bits of code from around the Internet. So far, the most exciting thing I've gotten to happen (under Leopard) is:

Roo:iwi3945 symuc$ sudo ./myload.command 
kextload: build/Debug/iwi3945-loadable.kext loaded successfully
Roo:iwi3945 symuc$ sudo dmesg
iwi3945: iwi3945: Starting
iwi3945: darwin_iwi3945 iomemory length: 0x1000 @ 0xdf6ff000
iwi3945: darwin_iwi3945 virt: 0x220d8000 physical: 0xdf6ff000
iwi3945: darwin_iwi3945 IRQ: 17, Vendor ID: 8086, Product ID: 4227
iwi3945: Disabled interrupts
iwi3945: MAC address: 00:1b:77:b7:40:9f
Roo:iwi3945 symuc$ sudo kextunload build/Debug/iwi3945-loadable.kext/
kextunload: unload kext build/Debug/iwi3945-loadable.kext/ succeeded
Roo:iwi3945 symuc$

Of course, it does absolutely nothing beyond that, as the interrupt handler just returns, and almost everything else is stubbed out. But I'll let people know if anything else interesting happens with my prodding.

hey all, newby here osx86 fam. i am doin pretty good on my own especially with the posts that everyone has left and the hard work everyone has done in supporting hardware and tutorials. I installed the svn 2200bg drive and i get as far as everyone else. connect with wep but no internet. i tryed every manual way to force it but nothing. i am sure someone will figure it out soon or later. I am just here to ask how I can help in the troubleshooting or if i can at all. i didnt recieve any errors or crashes at all. Maybe of there is a log that could be useful just let me know which one it is and how to accuire it. I will post any of my findings on here.

Could someone give me alternitive mini pci cards to the 2200bg? sorry if this has already been answered.

thanx

TEk

TEk,

Have you made sure to use hex format when entering your wep key? (xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) It MUST be in this format at the moment. It's one of the things I plan to change. Otherwise, the driver seems to be working pretty well. It sometimes needs a bit of patience since there is a bug somewhere that's interfering with I/O, but it eventually comes around. Occasionally I've had to reload a web page after it appears to hang, but all in all, it is at least useable now.

I'm about a quarter of the way through cleaning up iwi2200.cpp right now and will continue to do so throughout the week, making sure to harden the logic as I go and clean up things like goto's and other odd logic issues. After that I'll take a closer look at why the driver seems to hang from time to time. It could be the TX issue that Jalavoui has repeatedly mentioned. But, if the linux driver is working properly, we should be able to sync up the darwin version with it, at least logically. I am seeing that there are several functions that are empty - perhaps not yet ported - and there are some things that are commented out I want to take a closer look at, like the transmit queue.

Anyway, when I'm finished the code cleanup, I'll figure out some way to make it available. The obvious way will be via svn, but I'm not sure what the procedure is yet for committing code changes.

Later.