i copied the kext to the /Extensions folder and then console this :

cd /System/Library/Extensions

sudo chown -R root:wheel iwi3945.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 iwi3945.kext

sudo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

diskutil repairPermissions /

correct me if im wrong!!??

thank you.. you guys are freaking smart !!!!!

just do:

kextload /System/Library/Extensions/iwi3945.kext

or point to the kext you want to load, also restart should do it :-)

but please note that this driver is not working because the guy that wrote it dont have the hardware so he is coding blind,

if you succeed please share your knowladge!

just do:

kextload /System/Library/Extensions/iwi3945.kext

or point to the kext you want to load, also restart should do it :-)

but please note that this driver is not working because the guy that wrote it dont have the hardware so he is coding blind,

if you succeed please share your knowladge!

thank you! good to know for the next time . but yeah i copied the .kext to the /Extansions folder and did all the step i posted... =( live and learn i guess but guess what it worked! i can see my wi-fi card but can't connect also the MAC address changes everytime i boot on mac

laptop specs :

Alienware M5550

nVidia Go 6600

80 gig Hdd

Lan : pro/100 intel

wi-fi : 3945 ABG intel mini PCIe

sound : highdefinition ACL8800

dual boot XP-OSX using acronis , the sound works on the 3.5mm jack but not on the internal speakers and cant figure the problem.... and if you guys get the wi-fi working i will support via paypal!!!! for the hard work!!! rock on!

Hi, I see the work at the moment seems to be centred around 3945s on 10.5, but is the intel 2200bg on 10.4 project still going? I really need either a WPA driver or a WEP driver that can remember the password for certain access points.

Thanks

Alright I have the 3945 wireless card. I go to the site, download it, mount it, drag that little network whatever thing to my Mac Hard drive, then I run the package.

As soon as I run the package, a big thing fades over my desktop, telling me I have to restart. Upon restart, same message appears, doesn't let me boot back into Leopard. So I had to install Leopard again. Then I tried switching off the wireless button, same outcome, had to install Leopard yet again Any one have an idea on what is exactly wrong?

Laptop

HP dv2000t

3945a/b/g wireless card+Bluetooth

120 SATA Hard Drive

Intel Core 2 Duo

Alright I have the 3945 wireless card. I go to the site, download it, mount it, drag that little network whatever thing to my Mac Hard drive, then I run the package.

As soon as I run the package, a big thing fades over my desktop, telling me I have to restart. Upon restart, same message appears, doesn't let me boot back into Leopard. So I had to install Leopard again. Then I tried switching off the wireless button, same outcome, had to install Leopard yet again Any one have an idea on what is exactly wrong?

I do believe the 3945 driver as well as the others do not work with Leopard. These lines

Mac OS X version

This drivers are made for 10.4.x there's no support for 10.5 at this time

are what lead me to that conclusion.

You say you had to install Leopard again. Was it a clean install (reformat of the partition)?

I do believe the 3945 driver as well as the others do not work with Leopard. These lines

Mac OS X version

This drivers are made for 10.4.x there's no support for 10.5 at this time

are what lead me to that conclusion.

You say you had to install Leopard again. Was it a clean install (reformat of the partition)?

This driver doesn't work yet !!! It's a pre-beta driver wich only have the ability to make a 3945 card as an airport card... But, there is no network and no start/stop.

So, please wait :(

If you can't boot onto Leo, you have to start with -s command and delete the iwi3945.kext driver from /Syster/Library/Extensions and delete extentions.mkext.

Since Mac is UNIX based why its so hard to link linux 3945 and 4965 drivers to mac os ?

I saw some work around with http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=159550

and with http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/joomla/

...and I also believe 3945 and 4965 drivers are close because on intel website there is only one source for the two cards :

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_res...mp;submit=Go%21

Maybe this project will help : http://ipw3945.sourceforge.net/

@x4hu That's the ultimate goal -- to come up with a harness that will allow any Linux wireless driver to work in OS X. Many differences can just be #ifdef'ed away (such as locking and kmalloc/IOMalloc differences), but the hardest differences lie at the edges: How does the wireless driver talk to the network/wireless stack, and how does the wireless driver talk to the hardware?

The drivers (both past and present) are ports of the intelwireless drivers, which are the successor to the ipw3945 project.

Well I see. That explains a lot of things and this project seems interesting. I'll try to understand more what's happening with linux drivers. I'm thinking about making a linux dump of my 4965... I guess that's ain't easy but its sad to see how this card works great on one hand and just gives a kernel panic on the other hand.

Hehe don't give up the work guys ^^

A quick update: I've learned quite a lot from the initial driver I posted,and now am beginning to understand how the card works. (the mac adds issue, by the way, was caused by a debugging attempt where I made the first line of the getHardwareAddress function "return 0".

I've since worked on trying to get unmodified iwl drivers to first compile, then actually run. Through abusing the preprocessor, I've succeeded in the first, but need to do more work to get it to load. Mostly, coming up with shims to adapt the Linux code to run on Darwin. Based on what I've seen so far, I think it's possible.

symuc,

the iwidarwin svn tree now as an amazing 500 MB quota

i think we should keep the iwi3945 version with ioethernetcontroller just in case io80211 framework fail to work - i'll move it to the folder "old"

you can add your source to the trunk - this will keep the source code up to date

i've update iwi2200 latest code - this will be rev 579