Darwin nForce4 ATA/SATA controller

Guest bikedude880

1,033 posts in this topic

OK, it's impossible to install via DVD for me.

Keeps bailing out at around 35%, saying install failed.

I think this driver is a nice toy as of now, but it does not work good enough to actually install & use OSX on.

I also have the 0x026610de device, for the record.

I'll try a few more options, but it looks like I'm going to have to wait for a full fledged driver.

Good effort though, ghaka!

OH. I'm also getting journal open/close errors.

OK, it's impossible to install via DVD for me.

Keeps bailing out at around 35%, saying install failed.

I think this driver is a nice toy as of now, but it does not work good enough to actually install & use OSX on.

I also have the 0x026610de device, for the record.

I'll try a few more options, but it looks like I'm going to have to wait for a full fledged driver.

Good effort though, ghaka!

OH. I'm also getting journal open/close errors.

My patched 10.4.8 Tubgirl dvd failed while trying to install, but my 10.4.10 Tubgirl dvd modified with the new .kext installed without a hitch. Wasn't there something wrong with disk utility under Tubgirl 10.4.8? Anyway, it really was a pleasure seeing my sata drive sitting there in the Installer dialogue window, waiting to be formated :( OS X booted off of the sata drive and all was well. I got some journal read errors, however, after a failed installation attempt of Photoshop CS3... which pretty much rendered my newly installed os x environment useless, lol. But dang, I'm surely happy about being able to finally write to my sata now. Thanks ghak.

Can someone please help me, or point me at a toturial of how to update the appleviaata.kext file on the install dvd, I have an running OSX installation, and searched the whole afternoon, but I can't find anything usefull, although I really want to get OSX running on my notebook.

Thanks in advance, and ghakazian, thanks for the great work!!

(Sorry if this sounds kinda newbish)

Mine has a bit of problem, when I remove applenforceata.kext and put Ghakazian's Viaata.kext in I can only see part of my 320G sata hd, I also had a problem to run disk utility... Still trying, seems working somehow, but need some time figure it out or may wait till Ghakazian to finish his next release..

Thanks a million!

I'm also having some problems, I got the driver working when I boot from the DVD, and the install is going great, but when it reboots, it tries to load another SATA driver again (Tubgirl 10.4.8: it keeps on loading AppleNVIDIAnforceATA, with an still waiting on root device error) (Tubgirl 10.4.9/10.4.10: it loads medevils driver, and get's an device blocking bus error). I'm with 10.4.8 to find the AppleNVIDIAnforceATA.kext, but it only exits (As far as I know) in the AppleOnboardATA.kext, and I tried to delete the SATA ID's and the whole part, but it still loaded.

I also tried with 10.4.9/10.4.10, but when I delete the ID's there it also keeps loading the Medevil driver. I'm going to try and remove the driver from the Extensions.mkext, but I haven't got time now, does anyone have suggestions? What am I doing wrong?

I only tried to delete/edit files in the Extensions.mkext on the install DVD.

Greets, and thanks,

Barto360

I'm also having some problems, I got the driver working when I boot from the DVD, and the install is going great, but when it reboots, it tries to load another SATA driver again (Tubgirl 10.4.8: it keeps on loading AppleNVIDIAnforceATA, with an still waiting on root device error) (Tubgirl 10.4.9/10.4.10: it loads medevils driver, and get's an device blocking bus error). I'm with 10.4.8 to find the AppleNVIDIAnforceATA.kext, but it only exits (As far as I know) in the AppleOnboardATA.kext, and I tried to delete the SATA ID's and the whole part, but it still loaded.

I also tried with 10.4.9/10.4.10, but when I delete the ID's there it also keeps loading the Medevil driver. I'm going to try and remove the driver from the Extensions.mkext, but I haven't got time now, does anyone have suggestions? What am I doing wrong?

I only tried to delete/edit files in the Extensions.mkext on the install DVD.

Greets, and thanks,

Barto360

I ran into a similar problem. So, whenever I login, an applescript deletes Extensions.mkext and Extensions.cachekext just in case I forget! :)

Is there a possibility that you explain to me how to do that, or at least point me in the right direction?

When you patched DVD, it used the IOVIAATAFamily.kext to load the install. However, your install did not actually install it to the HDD. That is why you are getting the Still Waiting Root device problem.

To get it going try placing the "IOVIAATAFamily.kext" in the Extensions folder, repair permissions and use the -f flag at reboot.

I do not have to replace the .mkext eachtime I reboot. Because my IOVIAATAFamily.kext IS in my Extensions folder.

Hope that helps and clears things up.

Edit: @Plat Sajack Rather than deleting them eachtime when you log in. Wouldn't it be easier if you put the "-f" flag in your com.apple.Boot.plist?

Thanks, that helped me alot ;)

Got it booting now, until it says, Login Windows Application Started, and then it does nothing anymore. I'm going to try now with another version, but this helped me alot :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks Stewed Apple!!

Edit: Got it fully working now, only no good graphics, sound and internet :P

But at least it sits on my SATA disk

Yes, it works, but you get reduced performence and it isn't fully tested, so it can cause HDD errors. As far as I know, I used it too, it works allright, but booting, and starting applications take a while. I have no problems at all with my HDD, so it seems to be OK.

Good luck, and I hope it works well for you too.

Well, I've been using the PIO driver for a few days and have certainly ran into IOATA Device blocking errors. However, these are far and few between and can easily be fixed. In addition, they're only momentary - they don't make my system completely unresponsive. I've found that having to many disk I/O operations going simultaneously will most certainly reproduce the IOATA Device blocking errors, but again, this is only temporary. I'll often look at the console.app readouts to see how often I'm getting errors and they really aren't all that frequent. I just try to keep in mind that I'm using a PIO driver and I'll keep the amount of data streaming in and out of my disk at a minimum whenever possible.

Another thing that I've learned is the importance of verifying and repairing my sata disk, whenever there is a problem. I recall an incident where I got really bad IOATA Device Blocking errors and I couldn't even log out, lol. Well, the direct result of that was me being unable to boot back into my environment. To remedy this, I discovered that I could stick in an installation disc or boot from a working OS X environment, already on another hard-disk, and verify or repair the disk, using disk utility.app. I'm wondering if there is a command to do this from the darwin bootloader.

Well, just my two cents. Even though it's PIO mode, it's much faster than the P-ATA drives I was using, before.

Cheers and good luck!

ghakazian: could you possible release the source?

This is actually really simple; it is the AppleVIAATA.kext with UDMA, MDMA, and Extended LBA disabled. The PIO mode ended up being the same as AppleGenericPCATA that I first used so rather than doing the frankenstein thing I just modified AppleVIAATA.

So, it appears as if we are just using a modified AppleVIAATA kext. With that being said, I guess we shouldn't expect a full blown source release.

How do you apply the patch or file to the Disk or on the install. Can someone help.

there're many ways to it.

I am using VMware to apply the patch due to without DVD-RW driver.

Firstly, we need to install OSx86 on VMware, and then edit /System/Library/Extensions/AppleNForceATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist to remove your SATA ID, after that, place ghakazian's driver into /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns.

when you sure all things done, dd this vmdk into real HDD partition. Boot from this partition you'll found 'Still waiting for root device' gone away.

I hope it helps. :D

Just to let any NF630a chipset users out there know that I (a relative noob at this sort of thing) have finally managed to get an iso of "10.4.10 Update + netkas sse3/kernel" (think its tubgirls latest release?) running natively with my main SATA drive (with Vista on Part 1 and MacOSX on 30GB part 2) on my NF630a mobo (abit AN-M2 HD) using the following steps

1) Setup new MacOSX in VMWare (WinNT, Wkstn v6.0 VM, 512MB etc..) but pointing to my already prepared & formated HFS Partition #2 on my main SATA drive.

2) The install of MacOSX using Demontools to mount the ISO went fairly smoothly within VMware and even the Networking worked on first boot using bridged mode.

3) Next i modified Bikedudes AppleNForceATA.kext to include my SATA controllers IDs (0x055010de & 0x056010de), copied it over to OSX [as my VMware could see my Vista C Drive), ran all the sudo chmod -r 755 etc..., cleared the kextcache etc.. and closed down the VMware session.

4) Used BCDEdit in Vista to create a x86 Generic OSX boot entry, rebooted and...

5) :) got some sort of error about drive timeouts or something together with the sata driver "attempts at loading" being in yellow text which i guess as I've never seen yellow text in verbose mode isn't good ;)

6) came back here and grabbed hold of ghakazian's AppleVIAATA.kext.zip, modded device id's to suit, copied it across to extension but firstly I completely removed both the old AppleVIAATA.kext and AppleNForceATA.kext to be sure of no clashes.

7) Close down OSX in vmware again, rebooted and it was ALMOST into the GUI but got a Black Screen & frozen system.

8) Luckily I know how to fix this one as its to do with my GS7600 (512MB) Gfx card, simply boot to single user mode using -v -s then /sbin/mount -uw /, then cd /system/library/extensions and rm -rf nvdaresman.kext and BINGO it booted fully next time around

^^ hope this helps someone with one of the newer 4xx or 6xx NF chipsets

Only problem now is getting my Network Card working as I'd rather not put a 3com 90x (which i have) into my SFF PC & the sound ^_^

USB & FW seems to work ok though

indeed. i know this question is always asked but logically that means there is a good reason for it. no sight of updates or anyone LOOKING at tackling mcp51? im a notebook user, so booting off an external hdd is not ideal :lol: