Darwin nForce4 ATA/SATA controller

Guest bikedude880

1,033 posts in this topic

don t know, at some forum of FreeBSD hw was writen that some of MCP51 can work with driver (some) and others not (same chip) they wrote st like "known issue" firmware bug... And in apple developers forum is source code (somewere) for mcp51 but for RISC platform. (original MAC G5) :thumbsdown_anim:

so i've devised a semi/permanent solution. My dv9210us has a second bay for another internal sata but im thinking about modding the case to fit one of those portable usb harddrives. the second bay has ample room to fit a drive and then some. Hopefully it works. will keep you posted w/pics

chill out man.

stressing yourself out isn't going to make the drivers work.

I'm sorry, but Necrosan (and so AaltoPalo) is right, maybe it was rude, but was right. Working onto the adma specs (NCQ) will not resolve the blocking bus error problem. I'm still working onto the sata driver and (i think) i'm achieving some progress by handling the sata registers. No open source driver (of darwin) do handle these registers, as far as i know, but the error seems really to be related to those registers. The ahci driver should use these registers, but i don't have any source to look at, so i'll proceed with the usual method: try & fix.

Stay tuned, further news will come in the next days.

I promise i'll do my best to get this chipset working, meanwhile i ask all the users to not pm me, as i really have little spare time (and would like to use this time to work on the driver). ;)

Regards, Domenico.

I'm pretty sure my Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus has a MCP55, which is sadly not working with regards to SATA.

Curious, but does this kext impact the performance of PATA drives in any way? It seems far slower than usual, and I can't exactly figure out why. :)

Hi,

I have installed tubgirl 10.4.10. (I don't the version of my NforceAta)

My HDD plugged to Nforce are reconized. I can see the drive in diskutility.

But I can't mount the partitions. There are two NTFS partitions. They are disabled.

Someone can help me ? This is a problem driver or an other problem ?

Thx a lot

Since I have so much free time, I decided to try and write a driver for the nForce series chipsets (nForce/nForce2/nForce3/nForce4) based on the AppleOnboardPCATA kext. This is only a test and I don't expect much to come out of it.-------------------------------------------------------------MeDevil has successfully figured out the core problem behind the "Device blocking bus" error. ATA/SATA is recognized, drives are UDMA enabled, and will work with most chipsets after the correct device id is added to the plist file (there are already several id's in there.)Download link
To my surprise the disk would not boot it says something about some kext missing. So i continued to use the vmware method. after installing i installed the AppleNForceATA.kext that i found on this site. Now the native boot goes fine until:CODEStarting Virtual MemoryRemoving /mach.sym /var/tmp/folders.* /etc/nologin /private/_tmp_/ /var/_run_ /private/var/vm/swapfile0After those two lines the computer freezesI was used uphuck 1.4a and 1.3u and nForce4 ATA/SATA (coded with medevil) driverbut that native boot goes this information and freezes :Starting Virtual MemoryRemoving /mach.sym /var/tmp/folders.* /etc/nologin /private/_tmp_/ /var/_run_ /private/var/vm/swapfile0what can i do? someone says that this driver just only read data can't write? is that true?I 'm a notebook computer ,so can't replace my harddriver AND my BIOS can't setup PATA mode I 'm a MAC hot fans please,please help me!!!! My SATA controler ID 0x026610DE Thanks

Is there any way that I run the install with nforce5 chipset and SATA HDD ...

I`ve got Asus m2n-e sli and Hitachi 160GB SATA ... The disk utility detect the HDD and the partitions but can`t do nothing with them

I`ve tried a few different versions of MAC OS x ... no result ...

pls help

Hmm...I need to get something straight here.

Is the original kext posted on the first page supposed to support UDMA and all that for PATA drives? Because the drive I have in now is *terribly* slow. And I honestly can't figure out why....I've tried quite a few different versions of that kext, and they either break, or simply worsen my problems. Are there known issues with PATA drives or anything like that? I'd just like to get things useable, at least, to tide me over till SATA becomes a reality. =/

MCP51 / nForce 430 / Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-9 and Ghakazian's AppleVIAATA.kext on WD4000AAKS (Caviar 400GB 16MB cache, SATA II, NCQ)

It works, but somtimes on 10.4.10 (Tubgirl) freezes (no system response, but I can move my mouse). 10.5.0 won't work propertly. It crash until I get language choice.

Renyis: if your osx is on an SATA drive and you've got chipset nforce 410/430 or above, AppleNforce.kext won't work. you could try the kext that was posted by ghakazian here in this thread. but this is PIO Mode only, which means it will be slow and not that stable.

Well - I've tried to use both the AppleNForce.kext and the AppleVIAATA.kext to get my Compaq F730 Laptop with nForce MCP 51 running from the SATA drive. Neither works.

AppleNForce.kext hangs trying to get the boot device while AppleVIAATA.kext gets the root disk and commences reading - but hangs thereafter. I think my partition is now corrupt. The very first time I tried using AppleVIAATA I got a lot of errors but the booting continued till I got a flash of the blue startup screen. I was then dumped back to the text mode with numerous errors (mainly about throttling processes) and eventually restarted.

There doesn't seem to be any appreciable movement on this forum. The berlios site shows no releases after 28 Jan (?) or so.

Hey, bikedude8080 and MeDevil - Is any hope in sight. Can you guys share the code? Maybe a few of us desperate souls can help.

Heres's hoping for a working solution soon.

-aKy-:(SATA working Sound ALC883 working )

Renyis: if your osx is on an SATA drive and you've got chipset nforce 410/430 or above, AppleNforce.kext won't work. you could try the kext that was posted by ghakazian here in this thread. but this is PIO Mode only, which means it will be slow and not that stable.

I was use VMWare installed Tubigril 10.4.10 AMD Finial version then remove the AppleNforceATA , Natit ,Titan, and AppleUSBOHCI

Because Onboard GeForce 6150 /6100 - Does not work (only VESA, not Natit or Titan) ,Only resolution with IGP : 1024 X 768.

and AppleUSBOHCI can get a panic:

AppleUSBOHCI UIMInitialize unable to get device memeory (I tried Uphuck 1.4a .1.3u and all driver but all the same so I must remove it) but touchpad can use (because it like ps2 connector)

And the NForce Network Controller can't working ( using forcedeth.kext)

So There are three big problem :

1. Wanna to 1280 X 768 resolution

2. USB support

3. Network ing

I 'm and MCP51 device 's friend very thanks who can give some usefull information

Maybe I am totally in a wrong way, but here is my thought.

Just read about this http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imst/sb/cs-015988.htm

The SATA controller has three modes of operation:

IDE mode - no AHCI, no RAID

SATA mode (sometimes called AHCI mode) - AHCI enabled, no RAID

RAID mode - AHCI enabled, RAID enabled

Does this apply to Nforce SATA?

Can anyone explain what's the status of Nforce SATA Controller is running under?

Is there any hope to get Nforce SATA work through tweaking any AHCI kext, if source available by emulating either IDE mode or AHCI mode?

Found this also, just wondering if NForce 430i belongs to newer nvidia chipset. Whether it supports ahci, not sure?

NVIDIA

Driver name: sata_nv

Summary: No TCQ/NCQ in early chipsets. NCQ support added in later chipsets. Looks like a PATA controller, but with full SATA control including hotplug and PM.

Update: NVIDIA has provided information (under NDA) that permits implementation of NCQ support, and a sample Linux implementation (patch) as well. Unfortunately, the patch needs debugging, and no one seems to have the time or motivation.

NOTE: Newer NVIDIA chipsets are AHCI, and use the ahci driver rather than the sata_nv driver.

http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html

-aKy-:(SATA working Sound ALC883 working )I was use VMWare installed Tubigril 10.4.10 AMD Finial version then remove the AppleNforceATA , Natit ,Titan, and AppleUSBOHCI Because Onboard GeForce 6150 /6100 - Does not work (only VESA, not Natit or Titan) ,Only resolution with IGP : 1024 X 768.and AppleUSBOHCI can get a panic:AppleUSBOHCI UIMInitialize unable to get device memeory (I tried Uphuck 1.4a .1.3u and all driver but all the same so I must remove it) but touchpad can use (because it like ps2 connector)And the NForce Network Controller can't working ( using forcedeth.kext)So There are three big problem :1. Wanna to 1280 X 768 resolution 2. USB support3. Network ingI 'm and MCP51 device 's friend very thanks who can give some usefull information
use forcedeth-no-fck.kext
Found this also, just wondering if NForce 430i belongs to newer nvidia chipset. Whether it supports ahci, not sure?http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html
mcp51 listed in "patch" but still using libata

Ok, this thread is big and i cant find the right aswer anyehere.

Is it possible to install mac OS X 10.4.8 to SATA drive with this "AppleNForceATA.kext" patch. if yes how can i add this patch to the 10.4.8 installation dvd

thanks

I applied this patch to tubgirl 10.4.8 ISO and all goes well for me. now i have installed 10.4.8 in a SATA II Drive, mmm, maybe some improvements on IDE disks?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/n5hrib

Alex