Darwin nForce4 ATA/SATA controller

Guest bikedude880

1,033 posts in this topic

Guest AaloPalto
Anybody else you want to bad-mouth?

you dont found the dolls i think, so your still nagging around...isnt it bedtime already?

good night girlie!

they should upgrade the forums to a system where they can block you from downloading the driver when/if it gets released...

i for one am looking forward to this. i cant say "oh it WILL be done" or "it never will be" but if we can support this guy, it might be done.

if you wanna be a twit about it, you dont deserve to touch any of the fixes the community sacrifices time to make for no pay.

without them, osx86 wouldnt run on anything at all.

good work, ghak :P

cacak333 - you have to put it into the Extensions.mkext file... first you need the file which can either be extracted in TransMac on a windows machine from /System/Library or you can just go to the /Volumes/discnamehere folder in a mac installation... then you need to use mkextunpack:

mkdir extracted

mkextunpack -a i386 -d extracted Extensions.mkext

stick the AppleNForceATA.kext into the extracted directory, add permissions (root:wheel, 755):

mv AppleNForceATA.kext extracted/.

chown -R root:wheel extracted

chmod -R 755 extracted

and then recreate your mkext file with kextcache:

kextcache -a i386 -m NewExtensions.mkext extracted

so now you've got your fancy pants NewExtensions.mkext which you can stick back into the iso (renamed to Extensions.mkext of course) with either TransMac which is easy as hell and will maintain the bootable status or there are some mac tools that'll mount the hfs+ partition in the iso read/write

and now for my question: is there anybody out there that knows what i could look for or what i can do to fix the ATA driver to work for newer hardware? i have decent programming skills but have never coded a driver before so i dont know where to look for information or where to start hacking to make my stuff work... on my machine, whenever i try to mount a drive read/write or do any sort of write operation the HDD light stays on and the whole system locks up within a minute or two and i get this weird graphical thing where there's just colored diagonal lines all over the screen (like the screen got smushed and stretched over and over) i've heard that the timings are off in the driver which is why writing doesn't work and if there's any way i can update these timings by comparing the linux driver to this one then i'd be more than happy to do it to get mac osx installed on my internal hard drive instead of my ipod -.-

EDIT:

holy {censored}e i got my MCP67 to work \o/ thanks to MoiX's discovery with the same SATA device using ghakazian's AppleVIAATA.kext!!! :):D :D

EDIT2:

alright, apparently this driver can only see the first 128GB of my 160GB hard drive... any way i can make it see the rest...?

EDIT:

holy {censored}e i got my MCP67 to work \o/ thanks to MoiX's discovery with the same SATA device using ghakazian's AppleVIAATA.kext!!!

will this work on my acer aspire 4520g that uses Nforce 560? i really wanna get it goin Jas install doesnt pick up my HD will this work for me ??

is the mcp67 the same as the 560 ? thanks

also any idea if my geforce 8400m will work ? please reply ! :D

And I have a Compaq F503AU, part of the cheaper lineup of laplops with the MCP51 nForce 430 chipsets and its hard disk controller :)

Wouldn't mind testing, I copied my DVD image to my external HDD so I can reinstall Mac OS X blazingly quick xD Yay two partitions

:)

so what have i missed? i've been w/o internet for some time and it looks like people have gotten this up and running on nforce 430/410 mcp51 or whatever? i understand that it's pio mode only but where/how can i get this file and can i patch that into uphuck 1.4a? and how?

non lba support should be solved by preparig disk way to not say "Im bigger than 36GB" using HdaUtils2.

Its designet to support older BIOS - non lba. Go find it and upload sw or better give a link. Its somethiink like samsungs

NON LBA COMPATIBILITY jumper.... disk reports 36GB to bios and in starage has 250GB.

You more than likely have an MCP51 or higher chipset.Don't expect it to work soon.The only driver that semi-works is merely a hack job by ghakazian posted a couple threads back.(And it more than likely will not work, might I add.)Sit and wait until a proper driver comes out, code your own, or give up.Those are your three options.I'm about ready to trade this dual core laptop for an older PowerBook, as I NEED OSX.ghakazian - Have you done ANYTHING since you last posted?(And BTW, you never replied to my last question.)If you're willing to give me some pointers on what you did last I may make another attempt at this.Stop being so secretive about all this "work" you're supposedly doing and shed some light on this chipset for the rest of us.- Necrosan

One more thing, ghaza - NCQ is NOT required to make this chipset work, so get that outta your head if you're trying to port an NCQ implementation over to OSX. I've established this fact from reading about 300 threads on FBSD and Linux's problems with this chipset, also.

You more than likely have an MCP51 or higher chipset.Don't expect it to work soon.The only driver that semi-works is merely a hack job by ghakazian posted a couple threads back.(And it more than likely will not work, might I add.)Sit and wait until a proper driver comes out, code your own, or give up.Those are your three options.I'm about ready to trade this dual core laptop for an older PowerBook, as I NEED OSX.ghakazian - Have you done ANYTHING since you last posted?(And BTW, you never replied to my last question.)If you're willing to give me some pointers on what you did last I may make another attempt at this.Stop being so secretive about all this "work" you're supposedly doing and shed some light on this chipset for the rest of us.- Necrosan

One more thing, ghaza - NCQ is NOT required to make this chipset work, so get that outta your head if you're trying to port an NCQ implementation over to OSX. I've established this fact from reading about 300 threads on FBSD and Linux's problems with this chipset, also.

chill out man.

stressing yourself out isn't going to make the drivers work.

THANK YOU SO MUCH bikedude880!!!!!!! I install this on my nforce 650i(MCP51) mobo and now my Mac run so so so so so faster than before!!!!! I get higher score on xbench!!! Thank you you my hero!!!!! :)