Darwin nForce4 ATA/SATA controller

Guest bikedude880

1,033 posts in this topic

Strano essere italiani e parlarsi inglese... eh eh :angel:

I have a question for the SATA kext (oh, and I'm very happy with your decision to split the driver).

I use the NVidia RAID 1 on Nforce 430 chip (MCP51).

Do you think that there will be a way to make it visible and usable to leo?

Thank you for your support!

Bye.

Madn3ss

where can i get the sata kext?

There is no sata kext relased to the public right now. The driver is under heavy developement.

Now, some update...

a] legacy interrupts are not used in this new driver. Instead, MSI interrupt are used, in order to gain speed and remove all shared interupt errors.

b] the ata block bus error is still causing problems. As the sata 2.5 specs, this may be related to the fact that the pata emulation differs in the software reset code (the sata phy should handle device detection also).

Also, the need for a separate driver isn't really a "must". Actually, i have to use the nforce pata kext for my ide (where i develop) and i need another kext to handle the sata (so i can kextload when i need it). I plan to integrate nforce pata/sata and the newer sata handling code in a future release, once the newer sata handling code has proven to be stable.

Also note that this driver will probabily not work on systems < 10.4.8 (well, in order to use this kext you should have an "acpi" computer model into system profiler).

NOTE: I'll open a new topic when the driver will be ready (did you notice that this topic has more than 1k post?)

Regards, Domenico.

There is no sata kext relased to the public right now. The driver is under heavy developement.

Now... ...system profiler).

NOTE: I'll open a new topic when the driver will be ready (did you notice that this topic has more than 1k post?)

Regards, Domenico.

Amazing news MeDevil, glad to see you are still working on the project. I am willing and able to help in any way possible; although I'm not familiar with Mac coding's and what have you's, I would give it a shot. I just got a new laptop with the NForce MCP51 and was intending to quad-boot it (FC8, Win Vista Ultimate 64bit, XP MCE2005, and Mac OSX 10.4.8) and actually have everything booting (with Grub as a boot-loader)...except Mac, which unfortunetly either hangs or crashes when "Removing" temps (since there is write support duh)

Data curruption won't be a deteraint to me "testing" if you would like since I got the original install ghosted.

Sincerely,

Hacked2123

The PS3 Hacker

Ok guys, there are some news...

I've finally tracked down the problem of the i/o timeout.

In a normal controller, when the driver sends a dma write command, the controller should set a flag on the busmaster status register (the interrupt flag) and generate an interrupt that should stop dma and allow other commands to be dispatched.

In the nforce sata controller, however, interrupts are generated but the interrupt flag into the busmaster status register is never set...

In order to resolve this issue, i've sent an email to an nvidia engineering and i'm waiting a response...

the only thing that remains now is wait for a response (or be lucky and find a fix in the meanwhile) :-P

Regards,

Domenico

Great news, MD!

We have been waiting for a long time anyways, hopefully that NV Eng will be kind enough to provide some resolution or hints on the issue! Have my fingers and toes all crossed! :angel::):dev:

I hope it too... :-P

In the meanwhile i'll try to disable udma for write command, and see if the problem still persist...

Regards, Domenico.

Hi all. A working driver for pata/sata & all the nforce chipsets is going to be released today.

I fixed the i/o problem and the driver should (hopefully) work on all nforce based chipsets.

Drive should be udma enabled and working without problems.

I'll open a new topic for this and modify this post with a link on it.

Greetings, Domenico.

- Update -

Here is the new thread, please refer to this from now on:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77071

Hi all. A working driver for pata/sata & all the nforce chipsets is going to be released today.

I fixed the i/o problem and the driver should (hopefully) work on all nforce based chipsets.

Drive should be udma enabled and working without problems.

I'll open a new topic for this and modify this post with a link on it.

Greetings, Domenico.

This is the best festivus gift EVER!!!

Thank you MeDevil, I'll start testing when I get home from work.

You can expect a donation from me once I get paid on the 3rd.

• 3 weeks later...

is there a way that you can make a AppleNForceATA.kext to work under Leopard DVD installer

I have Nforce mcp 51 but when i boot leopard dvd hacked i get: still waiting for root device error.

I also get Still waiting for root device when I try to boot an Installed from another system a Hackintosh 10.5.0 ToH to my Nforce MCP 51 mobo its p5n-e sli.

can you help me please Thanks

is there a way that you can make a AppleNForceATA.kext to work under Leopard DVD installer

I have Nforce mcp 51 but when i boot leopard dvd hacked i get: still waiting for root device error.

I also get Still waiting for root device when I try to boot an Installed from another system a Hackintosh 10.5.0 ToH to my Nforce MCP 51 mobo its p5n-e sli.

can you help me please Thanks

i think you should try to set your dvd drive primary during boot time.

remember * still waiting for root device problems mainly due to your system can't recognise drive order properly,

also try to unplug other drive when you test

hope this help.

by the way, how could you integrate kext into the dvd?

• 1 month later...
Yes, i'm working on the driver and trying to figure out what is causing the "device block bus error".

Currently i've made those assumptions:

- Only one drive for channel (actual code expects two drives on the same channel, typical for ide)

- Some irq are not related to our channel.

- No hotplug support (also related to irq's).

- Sata doesn't use timings, pata does.

- Error conditions should reset the phy on the sata (but not on the pata)

Tomorrow I'll start working completely on the sata driver (since i have no other things to work on) and, maybe, we can expect a gift under the tree this christmas ;)

(sorry for my bad english)

Best regards, Domenico.

Hi MeDevil

I'm on want my geforce go 6100 to get 1280x800 resolution

But I was using MacVidia 1.0.8 or 1.0.7 but none of them can be use

no information go verbose

it can't to boot gui screen only text mode

My Video Card ID is:0x0247

I was using uphuck 1.4a

• 3 weeks later...

hi all, does someone succed instaling a macosx86 on a dv6000z?

because i try all of instalation disc from 10.4.8 until leopard 10.5.2 for amd.

i can see my partition with the instalation disc, once instaled,

i could not boot, with 10.5.2 applenforceata seems to be instaled, but the boot still impossible.

does someone can help me?

tof

i could not boot, with 10.5.2 applenforceata seems to be instaled, but the boot still impossible.

tof

this thread http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...amp;qpid=654198

• 2 weeks later...

tof

• 3 months later...
Hi All, i can't get my SATA disks running. Message 036810de chipset isn't supported. Any Idea if it will be supported sometime ?

Hardware: SUN Ultra40M2, 32GB RAM 2 Dualcore AMD Opteron. 4x 750GB SATA Disks

try edit info.plist... i go try compile kext from sources for you, but i dont have how to test it.....

anyhow http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77071 Nforce SATA Related by medevil

ummm man that is not a SATA controler

00d410de "nVidia Corporation nForce3 Pro150 SMBus (MCP)"

003410de "nVidia Corporation nForce4 SMBus (MCP-04)"

036810de "nVidia Corporation nForce4 SMBus (MCP55)"

dev id listing....

MCP 55 devids are st like

0360 MCP55 LPC Bridge

0361 MCP55 LPC Bridge

0362 MCP55 LPC Bridge

0363 MCP55 LPC Bridge

0364 MCP55 LPC Bridge

0365 MCP55 LPC Bridge

0366 MCP55 LPC Bridge

0367 MCP55 LPC Bridge

0368 MCP55 SMBus

0369 MCP55 Memory Controller

036a MCP55 Memory Controller

036b MCP55 SMU

036c MCP55 USB Controller

036d MCP55 USB Controller

036e MCP55 IDE

0370 MCP55 PCI bridge

0371 MCP55 High Definition Audio

0372 MCP55 Ethernet

0373 MCP55 Ethernet

0374 MCP55 PCI Express bridge

0375 MCP55 PCI Express bridge

0376 MCP55 PCI Express bridge

0377 MCP55 PCI Express bridge

0378 MCP55 PCI Express bridge

037a MCP55 Memory Controller

037e MCP55 SATA Controller

037f MCP55 SATA Controller

after number 10de (XXXX10de) so for sata 0x037f10de...

grab medevils kext... reported as working on MCP55

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Since I have so much free time, I decided to try and write a driver for the nForce series chipsets (nForce/nForce2/nForce3/nForce4) based on the AppleOnboardPCATA kext. This is only a test and I don't expect much to come out of it.

-------------------------------------------------------------

MeDevil has successfully figured out the core problem behind the "Device blocking bus" error. ATA/SATA is recognized, drives are UDMA enabled, and will work with most chipsets after the correct device id is added to the plist file (there are already several id's in there.)

Download link

Do I just add the kext in the dvd or not? Where exactly in the DVD do i put it, in which folder?

Thanks in advance... ;)

Since I have so much free time, I decided to try and write a driver for the nForce series chipsets (nForce/nForce2/nForce3/nForce4) based on the AppleOnboardPCATA kext. This is only a test and I don't expect much to come out of it.

-------------------------------------------------------------

MeDevil has successfully figured out the core problem behind the "Device blocking bus" error. ATA/SATA is recognized, drives are UDMA enabled, and will work with most chipsets after the correct device id is added to the plist file (there are already several id's in there.)

Download link

Do I just add the files in the DVD or not? Where exactly inside the DVD what folder?

Thanks.... :D