[How To] Solutions for Keyboards, Trackpads & Mice

Rammjet

117 posts in this topic

Keyboards, TrackPads and Mice

This is a compilation of many of the different keyboard, trackpad and mice solutions available. It is not exhaustive. If you don't find what you want, search for it.

Please do not post questions in this thread looking for a solution that is not listed. Use other threads for that.

Please do post other good known keyboard, etc. solutions in this thread. I will try to incorporate any posted solutions into the list. Otherwise, users can read the thread for any other solutions.

Drivers
ALPS Trackpad driver
- find it
and another

Enhanced Apple PS/2 driver
- find it

Hacked Apple PS/2 driver
- find it

Keyboard Bindings and Layouts

Key Bindings
- Change a few keys on your keyboard. Read
and

Key Bindings
- Adjust sound volume up/down with Function keys using a
from
Stravaganza

Keyboard Layout (ABNT2)
- Brazilian Portuguese. Go

Keyboard Layout (PT PT)
- Portuguese. Go

Keyboard Layout - Make Your Own
- use Ukelele. Go

Keyboard Shortcuts

Shortcuts available
- Read
and
. You can also go to the Help menu in Finder and search on "shortcut lists".

Modify
your shortcuts by going to:
System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse.

Change Modifier keys in Keyboard tab and change shortcuts in Keyboard Shortcuts tab. For the adventurous, review the Key Bindings entry.

Hot Keys
- Many apps like Quicksilver, Butler and Proxi can set up hot keys to perform all sorts of things.

Volume control
- control your volume with hot keys using an app and
Applescripts.

Keyboard & Trackpad don't work

Repair Permissions
- Try the following:
Boot from install DVD and enter the installer. Select Terminal in the Utilities menu and type:

cd "/Volumes/(name-of-OSX-partition)"   <--- use quotes if name has spaces
									   - but don't use parentheses
diskutil repairPermissions ./
cd System/Library
rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache
cd Extensions
find ApplePS2Controller.kext -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
find ApplePS2Controller.kext -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;
chown -R root:wheel ApplePS2Controller.kext

Quit Terminal and the Installer and Reboot without the DVD

Kext Unload/Load
- If repairing permissions above doesn't help, then try to modify the boot script by adding commands to unload and then reload the kexts.

Try the following:

Boot from install DVD and enter the installer. Select Terminal in the Utilities menu and type:

( -- use quotation marks in commands as shown below --)
( -- going to use some variables to cut down on typing --)

dp="/Volumes/(name-of-OSX-partition)"   <--- use quotes, no parentheses

nano "$dp/usr/bin/nano $dp/etc/rc.local"
kp="/System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns"
kextunload "$kp/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext"
kextload "$kp/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext"
( -- press Command-O to save --)
( -- press Y and <Enter> to accept --)
( -- press Command-X to quit --)

ATI Xpress 200M
- According to
Prasys
, the USB Driver creates a confusion that disables the onboard trackpad and keyboard. To fix it, drop his
onto your Desktop and go to Terminal and type:
cd /System/Library/Extensions
sudo mkdir usb_backup
( -- give password -- )
sudo cp -Rf IOUSBFamily.kext usb_backup/
sudo cp -Rf ~/Desktop/IOUSBFamily.kext ./
sudo chown -R root:wheel IOUSBFamily.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 IOUSBFamily.kext
cd /System/Library
sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache

Reboot

PS/2 Keyboard and USB Mouse
- disable 2 kexts as follows:

Boot your install DVD and go into the installer. Select Terminal in the Utilities menu and type:

cd System/Library
cd Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns
mv ApplePS2Trackpad.kext ApplePS2Trackpad.kext.bak
mv ApplePS2Mouse.kext ApplePS2Mouse.kext.bak

Edited by Rammjet
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm installing 10.4.8 on a desktop with both PS/2 mouse and PS/2 keyboard. I can't get either of my mouse or keyboard working.

Any clue?

Penny

Dude!!!... I have the same problem... I have a PS/2 Keyboard and I can't get it to work... It's really annoying... I've had it working with previous versions of MacOS but in 10.4.8 it won't work. If you figure something out, please let me know... it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Luke D.

Got my Cherry G84-4100 83key PS2 keyboard working with OSX 10.4.8, tried many different fixes and kexts, but in the end the method that worked for me was by renaming ApplePS2Mouse.kext & ApplePS2Trackpad.kext to whatever, In "/System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext\Contents\Plugins" folder. I left ApplePS2Keyboard.kext untouched. Its nice to have my Cherry working, instead of having to use my Saitek USB keyboard,.. Method works well if you have a non-standard PS2 Keyboard & a USB Mouse.

• 3 weeks later...
PS/2 Keyboard and USB Mouse - disable 2 kexts as follows:

Boot your install DVD and go into the installer. Select Terminal in the Utilities menu and type:

cd System/Library
cd Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns
mv ApplePS2Trackpad.kext ApplePS2Trackpad.kext.bak
mv ApplePS2Mouse.kext ApplePS2Mouse.kext.bak

[/indent]

it work for, USB Keyboard + PS2 Mouse?

it work for, USB Keyboard + PS2 Mouse?

No, it's title say the other way PS2 KB and USB mouse.

But you can leave the ApplePS2Mouse.kext intact and move the keyboard kext instead.

I have a USB Cordless Multimedia Kit (Bundled with my HP Pavilion a367c), and a HP Wireless Optical 5 Button Mouse with USB Cradle, i'm trying to use the second one because the original mouse has a failure in the buttons. The second mouse responds to button clicks & the scroll

wheel, and when i try to move the mouse only appears some ghosts of the pointer, but the

pointer still in the same place. Any idea?

Thanks for all!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Small Hint.

If you have a Laptop or a no-name keyboard you should depend your decision on your mouse.

There are the Microsoft keyboard / Mouse driver and the Logitech driver in this thread.

If you have a Logitech mouse take the Logitech package

If you have a microsoft mouse take the microsoft pack.

Both provide a nice keyboard layout you can use that corrects nearly all keys AND you get some nice extra features for your mouse.

hey im a real noob at this and need a bit of help. when i go to install, neither my usb mouse or ps2 keyboard work. i want to try the fix that rammjet explains, but the problem is that i dont know how to go into "installer." can someone please help me? thanks and sorry for the noob question.

• 2 weeks later...
hey im a real noob at this and need a bit of help. when i go to install, neither my usb mouse or ps2 keyboard work. i want to try the fix that rammjet explains, but the problem is that i dont know how to go into "installer." can someone please help me? thanks and sorry for the noob question.

the same here...! sorry from me too... :) any help

I have a DELL Inspiron E1405, OS X 10.4.9, the laptop keyboard works fine, but no 'option' or 'command' key. I have a bluetooth mouse so that was one of the first things that worked. Could someone point me in the right direction in regards to getting an 'option' or 'command' key working/substituted with another key

• 1 month later...

Helpp

i have microsoft wireless comfort keyboard along with wireless optical 2.0 mouse...

th wireless receiver plugs into ta usb and ps2 port..

i guess the usb one is for mouse and ps2 for keyboard..

now the microsoft drivers recognize mouse pretty well.. but the keyboard is not recognised by the drivers

so i cannot use the multimedia keys along with other special keys.. only the basic 102-keys work nothing beyond tht ,..

does anyone has a solution for this...

• 5 weeks later...

I highly reccomend picking up a genuine apple keyboard and mouse from ebay. They are pleniful and not too expensive. Also many of them seem to be left over from the Strawberry, Indigo, grape, etc G3 iMacs. These colors can fit in with some of the crazy gaming cases we are building in. I got my Aplle pro keyboard and mouse at goodwill for $7. Lucky find!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My trackpad is working fine, but it is still not recognized in "System Preferences". Normally I would be ok with this, but I would like to be able to select a trackpad tap to be a click. I hesitate to swap drivers in fear that it won't work at all. Are there any suggestions on routes to take? Thanks in advance.

Mouse Pointer bouncing back to 0,0 problem...

I have a problem with my mouse pointer always bouncing back to 0,0 into the left upper corner of the screen.

I am using a Microsoft Optical Wireless Mouse 2.0 and a PS/2 mouse as well... both are recognised well but when moving the pointer it instantly bounces back into the upper left corner...

Now here comes the funny thing: This problem was not always here... it is here again after everything has worked well for me before...

Actually the problem reappeared for me after succesfully setting up the GRUB bootloader for OS X.

The first time I had this problem was when I tried to install OS X the first time from the installer on the OS X disk. Very strange thing is that on another install on the same system (I reinstalled OS X) the problem was not present and everything worked out pretty well (without changing anything). The mouse and keyboard was working well (after I did the repair permissions fix). I also installed the Microsoft drivers and everything was still working.

And so it did until now... but suddenly the bouncing mouse was back on my system (after configuring grub to boot OS X exactly ... but I don't know if there is any connection).

Does anyone have any experience with this??