[How To] Solutions for Keyboards, Trackpads & Mice

Rammjet

117 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I just installed the 10.5.5 combo update and my Dell Inspiron 1525's keyboard and mouse stopped working. Only external USB mouse/kb work as of right now. Any idea on how to fix it? I'm still relatively new to this whole scene.

Thanks.

Same with me

My Laptop is acer aspire 5552 , after update to 10.5.5 and install the patch , internal keyboard and trackpad mouse didn't work.

regards,

Jack

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone;

i have a strange glitch with my USB mouse (A4Tech R7). It started right after i enabled QE in Leopard 10.5.5 iDeneb and restart.

Here is the problem; when i try to drag&drop anything it sticks to the mouse pointer and i can no longer click anywhere again without relaunching the finder...

I tried the solutions given here but none worked (and keyboard is gone too :D), and also i disable QE but it did not work...

Thanks in advance...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I recently upgraded to 10.5.6 from Deneb 1.3 10.5.5.

After losing usage of both ps2 mouse & keyboard I installed the fixes, and while they worked I can no longer see my mouse in the System Preferences.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any way to fix it? It's not the biggest issue as they are still functional but is something of an irritant.

I got a retail vanilla install with dfe-132 on intel D945gcln works beautifull except when im listening to music in any program it causes a glitch in mouse for 20Miliseconds or so every 6 seconds or so. any ideas?

10.5.4 to 10.5.6 no issues i have no dsdt patch that i know of. could that be related?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is a deal, I had PS2 mouse and keyboard, it works fine, and now I would like to switch to USB. Got a USB-->PS2 convertor, plug it, but mouse isn't work smooth and correct and keyboard do not initialize. What a problem, do I need specials kext for it or just remove PS2Controller kext from Extensions?

• 1 month later...
I've looked all over the forum for help on my acer's trackpad problem, it seems pretty unique. I have tried to install a variety of Leopards like atikos, leo4all, kalyway...i succesfully installed leo4all, but ran into the looping problem. I booted up from the dvd and erased the drive in the disk utility to start again from scratch and maybe even install the jas 10.4 tiger and to an update to leopard....but after the erase my trackpad stopped working. I mean EVERYWHERE, i even tried a vista recovery cd and no trackpad....just keyboard.....is it a bios thing? what should I be looking at to figure out the problem...?

any help would be greatly appreciated

I had the same problem, ot me mad and made me reinstall lots of thing without the need to.

All we did is a Fn+F7, do it again and your acer trackpad will be back

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I didn't see a better place than this, so forgive me if this is wrong.

I have a real IBM PS2 keyboard that is great. I don't want to use a USB keyboard. However, the PS2 keyboard obviously does not have a Windows key, and therefor has no Option key. The key mapping information I can find here is pretty high level compared with what I use in linux. Is there a lower level way to map another key, say right Alt or right Ctrl to the Option key? Do I have to hack the driver to do that?

Carl

• 3 weeks later...

I have a problem, after finally getting ideneb to work, my keyboard is constantly holding down the left arrow key and the 7 key, and theres no way for me to stop it.

I'm using an inspiron 640m laptop, with integrated intel 950gm graphics. What should I do?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My PS2 keyboard was acting weird... Sometimes it was not working after successful installation... So I tried to install in few methods...... Somehow got past the settings ..... Still had some problem like continuous '7' writing....

None worked... Was still facing the problem....

So as it dint have problems with USB keyboard.... I bought a PS2 to USB convertor

http://www.canadiancomputerstore.com/image...%20to%20PS2.jpg

.... Both my problem got solved.... Now I dont face that ' 7 problem ' anymore....

Its just working fine....

• 1 month later...

I have a problem, like everyone in here, as I see! LOL

I installes 10,5,5 kalyway an when i installe from 10,5,3 to 10,5,4 i lost keyboard and mouse. I thought that by updating to 10,5,5 it will solve itself but it didnt.

My problem is that I did the method of the kext in the desktop...

I did it all and everything seemed to go right.

When I reboot the laptop it stays in the light blue screen while it goes inside Mac Os

wht can I do?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. I note that quite a few people are having difficulties remapping their non-Apple keyboards.

I had the same problem, and after trying a few laborious fixes, I came across KeyMap4. See link.

http://pqrs.org/macosx/keyremap4macbook/

This is pretty intuitive to use, and worked a treat for me. after installation it sits in Settings.

Hope this of help to some of you.

Bluebear 53

WIN7/SL 10.6.2 Dual Boot (2 drives)

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3P

Intel Q9550 Quad Core - 2.83

2 x WD Black Caviar - 640

8 GB Kingston HyperX - DDR2 1066

GeForce 8600 GT - 1024[/size]

• 2 weeks later...

I have a problem.

Installed iAtkos v7 on my Hp Compaq 6710b.

Everything works except the keyboard and trackpad...

It works with a Usb keyboard and Usb mice but I want it to work with the integrated stuff...

If some one has a clue write here or conact me on PM!

Regards

• 3 weeks later...
I have a problem.

Installed iAtkos v7 on my Hp Compaq 6710b.

Everything works except the keyboard and trackpad...

It works with a Usb keyboard and Usb mice but I want it to work with the integrated stuff...

If some one has a clue write here or conact me on PM!

Regards

Guys need help on this one! Please.

I have a Compaq M2202AP (yes, it got the ATI Xpress 200M), using the 10.6.2 osx86 by Hazard.

The problem is: I can load into the installation page but I'm freezed at the language selection screen.(Keyboard and touch pad have no response)

If I plug in my HP USB mouse before booting the disc, it got "still waiting for root device" :mellow:

How can I use the above method for x200M??

• 2 months later...
Keyboards, TrackPads and Mice

This is a compilation of many of the different keyboard, trackpad and mice solutions available. It is not exhaustive. If you don't find what you want, search for it.

Please do not post questions in this thread looking for a solution that is not listed. Use other threads for that.

Please do post other good known keyboard, etc. solutions in this thread. I will try to incorporate any posted solutions into the list. Otherwise, users can read the thread for any other solutions.

Drivers
ALPS Trackpad driver
- find it
and another

Enhanced Apple PS/2 driver
- find it

Hacked Apple PS/2 driver
- find it

Keyboard Bindings and Layouts

Key Bindings
- Change a few keys on your keyboard. Read
and

Key Bindings
- Adjust sound volume up/down with Function keys using a
from
Stravaganza

Keyboard Layout (ABNT2)
- Brazilian Portuguese. Go

Keyboard Layout (PT PT)
- Portuguese. Go

Keyboard Layout - Make Your Own
- use Ukelele. Go

Keyboard Shortcuts

Shortcuts available
- Read
and
. You can also go to the Help menu in Finder and search on "shortcut lists".

Modify
your shortcuts by going to:
System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse.

Change Modifier keys in Keyboard tab and change shortcuts in Keyboard Shortcuts tab. For the adventurous, review the Key Bindings entry.

Hot Keys
- Many apps like Quicksilver, Butler and Proxi can set up hot keys to perform all sorts of things.

Volume control
- control your volume with hot keys using an app and
Applescripts.

Keyboard & Trackpad don't work

Repair Permissions
- Try the following:
Boot from install DVD and enter the installer. Select Terminal in the Utilities menu and type:

cd "/Volumes/(name-of-OSX-partition)"   <--- use quotes if name has spaces
									   - but don't use parentheses
diskutil repairPermissions ./
cd System/Library
rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache
cd Extensions
find ApplePS2Controller.kext -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
find ApplePS2Controller.kext -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;
chown -R root:wheel ApplePS2Controller.kext

Quit Terminal and the Installer and Reboot without the DVD

Kext Unload/Load
- If repairing permissions above doesn't help, then try to modify the boot script by adding commands to unload and then reload the kexts.

Try the following:

Boot from install DVD and enter the installer. Select Terminal in the Utilities menu and type:

( -- use quotation marks in commands as shown below --)
( -- going to use some variables to cut down on typing --)

dp="/Volumes/(name-of-OSX-partition)"   <--- use quotes, no parentheses

nano "$dp/usr/bin/nano $dp/etc/rc.local"
kp="/System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns"
kextunload "$kp/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext"
kextload "$kp/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext"
( -- press Command-O to save --)
( -- press Y and <Enter> to accept --)
( -- press Command-X to quit --)

ATI Xpress 200M
- According to
Prasys
, the USB Driver creates a confusion that disables the onboard trackpad and keyboard. To fix it, drop his
onto your Desktop and go to Terminal and type:
cd /System/Library/Extensions
sudo mkdir usb_backup
( -- give password -- )
sudo cp -Rf IOUSBFamily.kext usb_backup/
sudo cp -Rf ~/Desktop/IOUSBFamily.kext ./
sudo chown -R root:wheel IOUSBFamily.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 IOUSBFamily.kext
cd /System/Library
sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache

Reboot

PS/2 Keyboard and USB Mouse
- disable 2 kexts as follows:

Boot your install DVD and go into the installer. Select Terminal in the Utilities menu and type:

cd "/Volumes/(name-of-OSX-partition)"   <--- use quotes if name has spaces
									   - but don't use parentheses
cd System/Library
rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache
cd Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns
mv ApplePS2Trackpad.kext ApplePS2Trackpad.kext.bak
mv ApplePS2Mouse.kext ApplePS2Mouse.kext.bak