[pre-release] macOS Sonoma

1,844 posts in this topic

Colour me a crazy old man, although I use Ventura as my daily driver with Big Sur and Monterey in reserve to fall back on, it irks me to not have a functioning WIFI connection in Sonoma so I ordered  four different WIFI USB adapters from Amazon.

I plan to keep which ever one works the best and return the ones that does not, in the meantime I am hoping a breakthrough will be found to implement the Broadcom cards we have working in Ventura and before.

Although I have internet connection with ethernet, I miss Face Time connectivity and AirDrop when I boot Sonoma. My problem stems from being retired, having too much time on my hands and PTS. :frantics:

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

30 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Colour me a crazy old man, although I use Ventura as my daily driver with Big Sur and Monterey in reserve to fall back on, it irks me to not have a functioning WIFI connection in Sonoma so I ordered  four different WIFI USB adapters from Amazon.

I plan to keep which ever one works the best and return the ones that does not, in the meantime I am hoping a breakthrough will be found to implement the Broadcom cards we have working in Ventura and before.

Although I have internet connection with ethernet, I miss Face Time connectivity and AirDrop when I boot Sonoma. My problem stems from being retired, having too much time on my hands and PTS. :frantics:

The 2 usb dongles I tried don't give Airdrop yet 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

@eSaF

Seriously, 4 different dongles? 😂

Write to us the results to have a list of wifi dongles supported by Sonoma. 

So far, we have the excellent Wireless-USB-Big-Sur-Adapter by @chris1111 with a list of USB adapters and the package to install proper drivers. Plus Netgear A6150 USB and Edimax WL7811UNV2 @surenmunoo or ASUS USB AC-68 @jsl2000.

For my part I also want to try some USB dongle and I have bought a Realtek RTL8812BU USB WiFi Adapter that I hope will work well with Chris's package. When I try it, I'll post it here.
I am afraid that with USB dongles some functions that we have now with Fenvi cards will not be available but I am not sure.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, miliuco said:

Seriously, 4 different dongles? 😂

Write to us the results to have a list of wifi dongles supported by Sonoma.

I did say Colour me Crazy :lol: I will post results good or bad and best working adapter.

PS - Don't judge me too harshly, I am trying to cover all bases. :lol:

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Broadcom wifi not working. I found that on German forum: "I think the solution will be to add the pcie14e4,43a0 to the AppleBCMWLANBusInterfacePCIeMac.kext." I don't know if it's a good idea, of course.

On Monterey, /System/Library/Exentions/ AppleBCMWLANBusInterfacePCIeMac.kext/Info.plist :

Spoiler

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
    <dict>
        <key>80211PCI</key>
        <dict>
            <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
            <string>com.apple.driver.AppleBCMWLANBusInterfacePCIeMac</string>
            <key>IOClass</key>
            <string>AppleBCMWLANBusInterfacePCIe</string>
            <key>IOMatchCategory</key>
            <key>IONameMatch</key>
            <array>
                <string>pci14e4,43dc</string>
                <string>pci14e4,4464</string>
                <string>pci14e4,4488</string>
                <string>pci14e4,4425</string>
            </array>
            <key>IOPCIUseDeviceMapper</key>
            <true/>
            <key>IOProviderClass</key>
            <string>IOPCIDevice</string>
            <key>TruePowerOff</key>
            <true/>
        </dict>
        <key>80211PCI-AMFM</key>
        <dict>
            <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
            <string>com.apple.driver.AppleBCMWLANBusInterfacePCIeMac</string>
            <key>IOClass</key>
            <key>IOMatchCategory</key>
            <key>IONameMatch</key>
            <string>APP00DA</string>
            <key>IOPCIUseDeviceMapper</key>
            <true/>
            <key>IOProviderClass</key>
            <string>IOACPIPlatformDevice</string>
            <key>TruePowerOff</key>
            <true/>
        </dict>
    </dict>

Info.plist

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Apparently, I react too much.  I was so impressed with all the progress you've all made with Sonoma that I was "liking" everyone's posts.  Please don't feel slighted if I didn't "like" you.  It's not you. 🤣

410823056_Screenshot2023-06-09at8_20_10AM.png.6e0ca08930a0117b61b9c40ef2861f78.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, PropoFlexWX4 said:

Is there a risk of getting my Apple ID blocked for running a beta of macOS on a non-Apple PC?

No. I've used my same iCloud ID across every single hackintosh/hackbook instance since the original "deadmoo" VM image (Mac OS X Tiger, Intel Dev Kit).

I'm still here!

On 6/6/2023 at 5:11 AM, cankiulascmnfye said:

Little Snitch is not compatible yet (as expected):

1127043246_Bildschirmfoto2023-06-06um11_10_06.png.41191da1c996babe709e4225b27a3811.png

Are there any reverse firewall apps that are reported to be working on this first-release dev beta? 

• Like 1

EDIT:  XCode 15 Beta installs and runs in Sonoma 14.0 on my HackBookPro6,2

Spoiler

1054645215_Screenshot2023-06-09at11_55_14AM.png.a8775ab2792ba772ea2ca5714cbf28f1.png

======================================

Interesting that Sonoma Beta 14.0 AppStore let me download and install production version of Xcode 14.3.1.  I'm sure I need a Beta version of Xcode.

Xcode incompatible

Spoiler

1427523480_Screenshot2023-06-09at10_39_10AM.png.83274ed4e6e0fa30b4c51a2913e1b807.png

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

Interesting that Sonoma Beta 14.0 AppStore let me download and install production version of Xcode 14.3.1.  I'm sure I need a Beta version of Xcode.

Xcode incompatible

Reveal hidden contents

1427523480_Screenshot2023-06-09at10_39_10AM.png.83274ed4e6e0fa30b4c51a2913e1b807.png

You will need to use the Xcode 15 beta, which can be downloaded from the Apple Developer website. Or wait and see new XCode 😊 for macOS 14.

• Like 2

A couple of days ago I got a new used Laptop (Lenovo T490) which has an Intel WIfi/BT card (AC-9560). I installed Ventura 15.2beta on it because that was on my USB flash drive already. And: BT wasn't working. After I installed Monterey, BT worked immediately.

My point is: The BT functionality of intel cards on macOS12+ relies on a kext from BrcmPatchRam (BluetoolFixup) which no longer works since 13.5b2 apparently. So, even if you have an intel card which is technically compatible, BT won't work in Sonoma unless that BluetoolFixup.kext will be fixed.  So it's not only about Broadcom cards that are affected. On Intel cards only WiFi will work. And if you have a look at the MaxKernel setting for BrcmPatchRam in Acidanthera's Kext documentation, you'll notice that it says: 22.9.9.

I hope there will be a fix - maybe root patching with OCLP might be a way to address it. Time will tell...

BTW: If you register a developer account (even the free one) at Apple to install Sonoma (I am looking forward for macOS Pomona, Watts and South Central );), then you have to sign a Non Disclosure Agreement in order to download it. So if you do that, don't post anything about it...

Edited by cankiulascmnfye
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, cankiulascmnfye said:

A couple of days ago I got a new used Laptop (Lenovo T490) which has an Intel WIfi/BT card (AC-9560). I installed Ventura 15.2beta on it because that was on my USB flash drive already. And: BT wasn't working. After I installed Monterey, BT worked immediately.

My point is: The BT functionality of intel cards on macOS12+ relies on a kext from BrcmPatchRam (BluetoolFixup) which no longer works since 13.5b2 apparently. So, even if you have an intel card which is technically compatible, BT won't work in Sonoma unless that BluetoolFixup.kext will be fixed.  So it's not only about Broadcom cards that are affected. On Intel cards only WiFi will work. And if you have a look at the MaxKernel setting for BrcmPatchRam in Acidanthera's Kext documentation, you'll notice that it says: 22.9.9.

I hope there will be a fix - maybe root patching with OCLP might be a way to address it. Time will tell...

BTW: If you register a developer account (even the free one) at Apple to install Sonoma (I am looking forward for macOS Pomona, Watts and South Central );), then you have to sign a Non Disclosure Agreement in order to download it. So if you do that, don't post anything about it...

Hopefully this works for you: https://github.com/zxystd/BrcmPatchRAM/commit/300581de4a2474370f7dd44c93ade59960e7e2a1

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Some notes on ntfs with Sonoma:

using fuse for mac 4.5.0 (https://osxfuse.github.io/) and ntfs-3g mount looks for mount_ntfs here:

/Library/Filesystems/ntfs.fs/Contents/Resources/mount_ntfs

note: you may have to add several directories within /Library/Filesystems

cli mount selected ntfs partiton and link to desktop:

sudo mkdir /Volumes/NTFS && sudo mount -t ntfs -o rw,auto,nobrowse /dev/disk0sX /Volumes/NTFS && sudo ln -s /Volumes/NTFS /Users/Y/Desktop/NTFS

where X is ntfs partition you want to mount (from diskutil list, assumes disk0)
where Y is your username

Edited by mek21
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, PMheart said:

Awesome, thanks. Will test it once I have Sonoma installed and report back.

2 hours ago, zeamp said:

Are there any reverse firewall apps that are reported to be working on this first-release dev beta? 

You could try Lulu, but I dont think that it's ready yet.

• Like 1

Ok - as promised here is the report from the clutch of USB dongles I ordered and tested (don't laugh but I actually ordered 5 not 4 - the things I do for you guys :hysterical:) Three of the orders came today.

The one in the pic attached worked best with the strongest signal and possible the best of the bunch because of dual band.

You need to use @chris1111 Big Sur app along with the two kexts attached here.

In summary in my opinion this solution is suited for mobility only i.e a laptop for connection purpose only.

You still don't get the function of 'AirDrop' and 'Hand Off' to iPhone Camera as with the Fenvi T-919 Card in Ventura.

In truth, I will be keeping the one that gave the best result (in the pic) for emergencies (or as the wife puts it.....'more rubbish to clutter the place) and return the others.

So there you have it, hopefully I won't be penalised for all the Returns. 

PS - The one caveat I disliked, you need to permanently disable SIP for the app to work or you'll get a pop up about it being damaged and should be deleted.

Spoiler

1065487681_Screenshot2023-06-09at16_47_03.thumb.png.26c13799cc61ac31b3a6337f7c70dee0.png2003209784_Screenshot2023-06-09at17_27_37.thumb.png.b6643f86ff6305cc34e9a7cf5ef69636.png

RtWlanU.kext.zip RtWlanU1827.kext.zip RealtekRTL8111.kext.zip

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

@eSaF

Thanks for the info.

This Realtek RTL8812BU USB WiFi Adapter is the one I have ordered. Glad to read your success although I already was expecting some issues (Handoff...) not existing with the Fenvi.

I know that @chris1111 package is needed but I ask a few questions:

• really SIP disabled is required after package installation? I was hoping that, after this, SIP can be enabled again
  • did you need to enable GateKeeper also (for setup or permanent)?
  • what about SecureBootModel disabled? did you need it?
  • you write "Big Sur app along with the two kexts attached" but I see 3 kexts, all of them are required for this RTL8812BU? @chris1111 package is not enough?

Good afternoon, my friend.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, miliuco said:

@eSaF

Thanks for the info.

This Realtek RTL8812BU USB WiFi Adapter is the one I have ordered. Glad to read your success although I already was expecting some issues (Handoff...) not existing with the Fenvi.

I know that @chris1111 package is needed but I ask a few questions:

• really SIP disabled is required after package installation? I was hoping that, after this, SIP can be enabled again
  • did you need to enable GateKeeper also (for setup or permanent)?
  • what about SecureBootModel disabled? did you need it?
  • you write "Big Sur app along with the two kexts attached" but I see 3 kexts, all of them are required for this RTL8812BU? @chris1111 package is not enough?

Good afternoon, my friend.

@chris1111 does show how to install with SIP enabled as well.

https://github.com/chris1111/Wireless-USB-Big-Sur-Adapter

EDIT***Just watched the video and it seems that SIP needs to be disabled

image.thumb.png.545c6c63ecd5203e336161a4333ca428.png

Edited by surenmunoo
  • Like 4