[pre-release] macOS Sonoma

1,844 posts in this topic

So, a follow-up after the upgrade to Sonoma.

Like others, Wifi is down (actually the system reports it is "off").  I did upgrade Lilu and added lilubeta to my config.plist.  I'm finding it hard to believe that Apple intends to drop Broadcom wifi now, I would think it might be with the next release, not this one, so I'm hoping others have found a fix, or a fix can be found soon.

Other than that, it's a first beta; it loads slower and a bit clunky but it loads and my system (iMac 20,2) seems okay.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

After update to Sonoma, my dell xps 9570 i7 8750h cpu  MacBookPro 15,1 at the initial apple logo, the screen dims to the lowest brightness setting and stays like that for 5 minutes, then comes back to the normal brightness level. I tried -igfxblr boot arg without result. There is a fix for this issue.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, meg2014 said:

I'm finding it hard to believe that Apple intends to drop Broadcom wifi now, I would think it might be with the next release, not this one

Legacy Broadcom chipsets (94360, 94350, 94331...etc) are socketed modules - the supported Mac lineup for Sonoma (including Intel ones) all have soldered proprietary Broadcom UDM-based chipsets, hence no surprise here to see Apple dropping wireless support for legacy ones, as they have no reason to support these cards anymore.

(Ofc this comes as a huge axe to the hackintosh community but it is what it is - we can only hope that the brilliant folks over at OCLP cook up a proper solution that would help restore full functionality including AirPlay, AirDrop and other essential Continuity features (and not just network connectivity, although that would suffice for some I reckon), if not, then maybe it's time to start looking into Apple Silicon for those who wish to enjoy and experience all the goodness Apple has to offer with macOS on their main/production machine)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That's pretty simple. Mac with M1 chips introduced new components that are mainly soldered. It doesn't mean apple drops the vendor like broadcom but the device used are soldered so it will be difficult to find it with standard connections.

Another side effects that new mac pro is introducing, beside removing definitly intel proc, is that it won't handle gpu onto pcie slots as it uses M2 chips GPU only so it's more likely the end of AMD GPU support and no more AMD GPU series would be added (like rx 7xxx series).

All comes together with Sonoma as it will be the main OS for new mac pro.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mick3lson said:

After update to Sonoma, my dell xps 9570 i7 8750h cpu  MacBookPro 15,1 at the initial apple logo, the screen dims to the lowest brightness setting and stays like that for 5 minutes, then comes back to the normal brightness level. I tried -igfxblr boot arg without result. There is a fix for this issue.

-igfxblt or enable-backlight-registers-alternative-fix in proprieties.

1 hour ago, aben said:

Legacy Broadcom chipsets (94360, 94350, 94331...etc) are socketed modules - the supported Mac lineup for Sonoma (including Intel ones) all have soldered proprietary Broadcom UDM-based chipsets, hence no surprise here to see Apple dropping wireless support for legacy ones, as they have no reason to support these cards anymore.

(Ofc this comes as a huge axe to the hackintosh community but it is what it is - we can only hope that the brilliant folks over at OCLP cook up a proper solution that would help restore full functionality including AirPlay, AirDrop and other essential Continuity features (and not just network connectivity, although that would suffice for some I reckon), if not, then maybe it's time to start looking into Apple Silicon for those who wish to enjoy and experience all the goodness Apple has to offer with macOS on their main/production machine)

Yes OCLP will do that for sure. But prepare for SIP partially disabled and SecureBoot disabled. AMFI, partially.

Edited by Stefanalmare
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, nyu1985 said:

That's pretty simple. Mac with M1 chips introduced new components that are mainly soldered. It doesn't mean apple drops the vendor like broadcom but the device used are soldered so it will be difficult to find it with standard connections.

Another side effects that new mac pro is introducing, beside removing definitly intel proc, is that it won't handle gpu onto pcie slots as it uses M2 chips GPU only so it's more likely the end of AMD GPU support and no more AMD GPU series would be added (like rx 7xxx series).

All comes together with Sonoma as it will be the main OS for new mac pro.

The Chinese guys will "feel" the opportunity and the accepted chips will appear on the market soon with usual connections.

Edited by Stefanalmare
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, Stefanalmare said:

The Chinese guys will "feel" the opportunity and the accepted chips will appear on the market soon with usual connections.

Well, it would be nice if the Chinese manufactured wifi modules compatible with Sonoma, with that we made sure wiffi OOTB until the end of intel support 👌

I bought two modules for my two Lenovo 😄

Edited by PoMpIs
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, aben said:

then maybe it's time to start looking into Apple Silicon for those who wish to enjoy and experience all the goodness Apple has to offer with macOS on their main/production machine)

*Windows 11. I will never be comfortable owning a computer with soldered RAM and specially soldered SSD's. But it was a good run. Maybe all the hackintosh developers can switch to linux to improve that system. Since that would be my prefered OS either way, if it had fractional scaling and non-blurry fonts in some apps 🤣. All I need for my computer is Vscode, some database apps, Slack and Skype. All of those exist on linux, sadly some of them are blurry on 4k monitors.

I am also seeing this backlight delay on my i7-9750H. Someone posted some different boot args above that I am going to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/8/2023 at 2:48 PM, Slice said:

I tried TL-WN725N which is USB WiFi Realtek based. It works in macOS but the provided driver is not compatible with Sonoma, sorry...

Hi @Slice I can install  tl-wn725 kexts and use status bar app extracted whit pacifist and works like a charm in my Lenovo E470.

Just using start app in startup and run drivers and error on install not cause trouble after put app on Aplications. 

WI-FI is working fine and good.  I hope you enjoy your usb wireless adapter again! 

image.png.b4d96a7f638b4f74c5a8dc2cc299b6c7.png

TL WN725.png

StatusBarApp.app.zip TL-WN722N-725N_EUUSES_V3_191211_Mac10.15.zip

Edited by Max.1974
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

I am also seeing this backlight delay on my i7-9750H. Someone posted some different boot args above that I am going to try.

Try whatever you want. But, when when you finish trying, use the one I post above. It is a new submodule of whatevergreen made from recent backlight problems starting with Ventura (I had also in Sonoma).

Try whatever you want. But, when when you finish trying, use the one I post above. It is a new submodule of whatevergreen made from recent backlight problems starting with Ventura (I had also in Sonoma).

It’s the boot args you posted I am going to try. Just couldn’t remember your name when I made the post

• Haha 1

@mick3lson  @SavageAUS

Boot args are those posted by @Stefanalmare but they work with last WhateverGreen commit, not on older. 

WhateverGreen developers instructions:

If you have a CFL-based laptop and rely on the Backlight Registers Fix (BLR) to fix the 3-minute black screen issue, you may notice that BLR (`-igfxblr`) no longer work on macOS 13.4 or later. This is because Apple has simplified the implementation of the functions, `ReadRegister32` and `WriteRegister32`, in Coffee Lake's framebuffer driver shipped by macOS 13.4, so the compiler chose to inline invocations of those functions as many as possible. As a result, the `WriteRegister32` hooks registered by the Backlight Registers Fix (BLR) and the Backlight Smoother (BLS) submodules no longer work. Starting from v1.6.5, WEG can revert the optimizations done by the compiler in backlight related functions, provide an alternative to BLR and make BLS work properly on macOS 13.4 or later.

Note that this alternative fix is only available for users who have laptops using Coffee Lake's graphics driver and running macOS 13.4 or later. You can add the property `enable-backlight-registers-alternative-fix` to `IGPU` or use the boot argument `-igfxblt` to enable this new fix and remove the boot argument `-igfxbls` and/or the device property `enable-backlight-registers-fix`. If you wish to use the Backlight Smoother on macOS 13.4 or later, you need to add both `-igfxblt` and `-igfxbrs` to the boot arguments.

Note that Ice Lake platforms are not affected because `WriteRegister32` is not inlined in backlight related functions, while Kaby Lake platforms may be affected but are not supported by this new fix at this moment, because it is hard to fix the write operation on the register `0xC8250` due to the space limit.

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Things are moving in sonoma-development branch of OCLP, I really trust in the team, I hope that a fix for Broadcom wifi will come. 
https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/commit/c9fae32eb68de122e84c7a9271ae42c4fbca1b18

I’ve not used OCLP and I’m sorry if it’s OT. But if that team manage to fix Broadcom wifi what does that mean? Running another application or some magic patching?