Installing new macOS on unsupported hardware (OCLP patcher and others)

ruslan61
322 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

@cmn699 Your SMBIOS MacModel is iMac19,1.  This MacModel already runs Ventura without any patching.  This is why OCLP doesn't provide you with a patching option.

As I said, I don't have experience with applying OCLP post-install patches to a "modern" rig.  Trying opening OCLP settings and changing the model to MacPro5,1.

EDIT: How experienced are you with hackintoshes?

I will try once again  running the automatically downloaded macOS Ventura inside the  Applications folder to upgrade my Catalina 10.15.7 ( I have another SSD I have cloned with this perfectly running system as a backup, in case of any mishaps from the attempt to upgrade) to Ventura on my current GA-Z390-Gaming -X  +   CPU i5 8400 + GT 710 PCIE + connected to the Monitor+  Fenvi T919 WiFi +BT all  using current kexts (Jan2023) and current CLOVER. 

If that fails, I will try to change the SMBIOS to 
Mac Model MacPro5,1 through OCLP Settings.

I have been doing Hackintoshing off and on for about 10 years but still consider myself as a learner but willing to share my experience if it helps others.

13 minutes ago, cmn699 said:

If that fails, I will try to change the SMBIOS to Mac Model MacPro5,1 through OCLP Settings.

Note that changing the OCLP setting to MacPro5,1 does NOT change the SMBIOS MacModel (iMac19,1) in your config.plist (CLOVER or OC).  It only tells OCLP to generate patches for MacPro5,1.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, deeveedee said:

Note that changing the OCLP setting to MacPro5,1 does NOT change the SMBIOS MacModel (iMac19,1) in your config.plist (CLOVER or OC).  It only tells OCLP to generate patches for MacPro5,1.

Because of frequent Power Failure from Freezing rains, I have not been able to do anything without frequent boot failures. I will try the troubleshoots later when things getter around here. Thank you for all your help. 

On the MacRumors forum, this issue has been identified as an issue with non-metal graphics.

I have posted this issue on the Unsupported Macs Discord Server | #opencore-patchers channel.

============================

After patching Nvidia graphics with OCLP 0.6.1, is anyone else experiencing problems with the Message App in Ventura 13.2? With my HackBookPro6,2 running Ventura 13.2, Messaging App freezes when first launched. Messaging App works fine in Monterey 12.6.3.

EDIT: After attempting to launch Messaging App in Ventura 13.2, the only way I can close the app is Force Quit.

EDIT2: This is only a UI issue. If I don't open the Messaging App, I receive Message notifications normally.

Edited by deeveedee

After a few days of running/testing, my HackBookPro6,2 is running Monterey 12.6.3 perfectly.  I regularly use MS Office 2019, VNCViewer, Tunnelblick, Xcode 14.2, MS Remote Desktop, Safari, Firefox and all are working perfectly.  I am so enjoying the fact that OCLP has resurrected my 2010 Dell Latitude E6410 that I haven't used my HackMini8,1 for a while now.  The OCLP developers are to be commended.  Absolutely incredible.

• Like 3

I have seen a few posts about using USBToolBox running in Microsoft Windows to generate the USB map kext for a hackintosh.  I was curious, so I attempted to use USBToolbox on my Dell Latitude E6410 (running Windows 10 Pro x64).  I found that USBToolbox recognized the two USB Hubs, but it was unable to map the child USB ports (children of the two USB hubs).  I experimented with different USBToolBox settings, but wasn't able to map the child USB ports.

What's interesting about this USBToolBox behavior, is that when running Hackintool in Ventura, Hackintool also does not "see" the child USB ports.  Hackintool running in Ventura sees only the two USB hubs, while Hackintool in High Sierra, Big Sur and Monterey sees the hubs and child ports.

So far, I have found that the best way to map USB ports on my Dell Latitude E6410 is to run Hackintool in High Sierra, Big Sur or Monterey to generate a candidate USBPorts.kext.  Then I combined Hackintool's USBPorts.kext with elements from OCLP's USB Map as I have done here.

Has anyone found out what version between 12.1 to (not 12.5 crashes) that will work for the HD4600 Azul..Haswell where the clock stops and ssh inside shows a "hardware" crashing and eventually reboots?

I am trying 12.1 replace the HD4600Graphics kext to Ventura and it does work (not hang anymore), while OCLP ises 12.5 which hangs/crashes it. 

I am trying other 12.2 12.3 12.4 etc but for some reason when I install via OSX-KVM it give me a blank screen at the final setup screen..

Then I would run 

open -a /Applications/Google\ Chrome.app --args --disable-gpu

so that the graphics is not "Empty boxes"

The OCLP issues page is locked down so there is no place to discuss it, in discord it tends to scroll away and nobody ever index/search discord

I will edit this post later with more details about the error message.. 

21 hours ago, kocoman said:

The OCLP issues page is locked down so there is no place to discuss it, in discord it tends to scroll away and nobody ever index/search discord

OCLP is designed for real Macs and the developers won't consider non-Mac issues (no matter what the forum).  We're on our own for using OCLP for hacks and VMs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kocoman said:

yes they want to keep it legal

You mean just like Open Core?  I doubt it.  I think that the OCLP patching is so specific to the SMBIOS MacModel, that it's difficult enough to automate the patches without having to consider the additional variations/permutations/combinations introduced by hacks.

55 minutes ago, 1Revenger1 said:

OCLP patching is done by checking PCI IDs of the components. I believe they just don't want the added noise in their discord and bug tracker.

I don't blame them! I'm sure that it's enough work as it is.  Looking over at MacRumors, it is amazing how many Mac owners are benefiting.  OCLP in amazing.

EDIT: I remember a time when I was almost afraid to visit MacRumors, because of the anti-hack sentiment.  I'll bet there are a lot of MacRumor's participants who once shunned the hacker community and are now happy to hack their Macs with Open Core and legacy patches.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

On my HackBookPro6,2 running Monterey 12.6.3, I was prompted to upgrade Safari (Version 16.3 (17614.4.6.11.6, 17614)).  After the Safari upgrade, I could not login to InsanelyMac.  A reboot did not fix the problem.  I needed to re-apply OCLP0.6.1 post-install patches (even though OCLP did not prompt me to install).  Re-installing the OCLP patches fixed the Safari problem.

EDIT: When I upgraded Safari in Big Sur, I did not have to apply OCLP post-install patches.  The post-install patches were only required after upgrading Safari in Monterey.

Also, the upgrade to Ventura 13.2.1 was flawless.  Currently booting OC0.8.9 and patching with OCLP 0.6.1.

Edited by deeveedee

This helpful link was provided in the MacRumors forum.  I hadn't seen this before and thought it would help others here in InsanelyMac.  My apologies if this was already provided elsewhere.  

The link provides the tccplus recommendation that I made here (which I independently found by searching and am glad to see that the OCLP guide recommends the same solution).

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

EDIT: I think I found my answer here.

==================================

I think this may have been asked/answered before - sorry if I'm asking again.  Is there a nightly builds link for OCLP analogous to the Acidanthera link here?

Edited by deeveedee

• 3 weeks later...