Installing new macOS on unsupported hardware (OCLP patcher and others)

ruslan61
322 posts in this topic

Real Mac (MacBook Pro 13'' Retina Early 2015) - OCLP 10-19-22 Root Patches. OpenCore 0.8.5 with Latest Kexts.

macOS Ventura 13.0 - RC.

All Working OOB.

image.thumb.png.cef227db38f52fa254125bcde328c7b1.png

Update OTA works again without any issues.

Need to re-patch with OCLP 0.5.0 (ventura-alpha) branch.

EFI - Real Mac - OpenCore 0.8.5 - OCLP 0.5.0 10-19-22 - MacBookPro12,1 =>  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aUL27JqvStHAlGv_oNxvwX8DeVkIC8x-/view?usp=sharing

Ready for Windows 11 22H2 Dual Boot - EFI.

Edited by fernando.c.neves
  • Like 2

Has anyone found documentation of the boot-arg -disable_sidecar_mac?

EDIT: OCLP 0.4.11 inserts this boot-arg (-disable_sidecar_mac) in its auto-generated OC EFI for MacBookPro6,2.  I still need to test to confirm, but it appears that when I add this boot-arg to my Latitude E6410 (Arrandale, Nvidia, MacBookPro6,2), Big Sur boot times are significantly shorter.  CorrectIon: My boot times are fluctuating between tests, even if I don't change anything.  I can't confirm that this -disable_sidecar_mac affects boot time, but I'd still like to know why it's inserted and what exactly it does.

Edited by deeveedee

New release of Ventura 13.0 RC2 22A380, updated over the air OTA. Everything is working.

Real Mac - MacBook Pro 13'' Retina Early 2015 with latest OCLP 0.5.0, OpenCore 0.8.5 Latest Kexts.

Need to re-patch with OCLP 0.5.0 to work acceleration of my Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536MB.

image.thumb.png.86307c4372abe2267e5cc45a57e4aea2.png

I am finding that Big Sur and Monterey are much more picky about SSD brand/model.  macOS installations that would succeed with High Sierra are failing with Big Sur and Monterey (with trim and other errors in verbose boot logging).  I am aware of the SSD recommendations here, but I'm curious - what SATA SSDs are you finding to be best for use in Legacy hacks?

Edited by deeveedee

Does anyone know why Build and Install OpenCore is greyed out?  Details below...

OCLP 0.5.0 Beta: Build OpenCore greyed-out

Spoiler

245190931_ScreenShot2022-10-21at12_09_24PM.png.ff2eb53cba2a02b792fcc5d4b908370f.png

OCLP 0.5.0 is correctly detecting my HackBookPro6,2 (Dell Latitude E6410) as a MacBookPro6,2.   This is an improvement over 0.4.11 which was detecting my hack as a Latitude E6410.  After first opening OCLP 0.5.0 Beta, 'Build and Install OpenCore' is greyed-out.  If I open OCLP settings and change the SMBIOS Mac Model to MacBookPro6,1 (anything other than the auto-detected MacBookPro6,2), the 'Build and Install OpenCore' option become available (although it generates OpenCore for the wrong SMBIOS.

Change OCLP 0.5.0 target SMBIOS Mac Model

Spoiler

259007461_ScreenShot2022-10-21at12_12_59PM.png.eceaac541fbd03170978a3a31887ea2d.png

Does anyone know why 'Build and Install OpenCore' is greyed-out unless I change the target SMBIOS model to something other than the detected model?  Thank you. 

Note: I don't use the OCLP-generated OC EFI for my hack.  I am only using the OCLP-generated EFI (config.plist, ACPI, Kexts) to provide hints for the changes that I need to make to my hacks OC EFI.

Edited by deeveedee

22 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

Does anyone know why Build and Install OpenCore is greyed out?  Details below...

OCLP 0.5.0 Beta: Build OpenCore greyed-out

Reveal hidden contents

245190931_ScreenShot2022-10-21at12_09_24PM.png.ff2eb53cba2a02b792fcc5d4b908370f.png

OCLP 0.5.0 is correctly detecting my HackBookPro6,2 (Dell Latitude E6410) as a MacBookPro6,2.   This is an improvement over 0.4.11 which was detecting my hack as a Latitude E6410.  After first opening OCLP 0.5.0 Beta, 'Build and Install OpenCore' is greyed-out.  If I open OCLP settings and change the SMBIOS Mac Model to MacBookPro6,1 (anything other than the auto-detected MacBookPro6,2), the 'Build and Install OpenCore' option become available (although it generates OpenCore for the wrong SMBIOS.

Change OCLP 0.5.0 target SMBIOS Mac Model

Reveal hidden contents

259007461_ScreenShot2022-10-21at12_12_59PM.png.eceaac541fbd03170978a3a31887ea2d.png

Does anyone know why 'Build and Install OpenCore' is greyed-out unless I change the target SMBIOS model to something other than the detected model?  Thank you. 

Note: I don't use the OCLP-generated OC EFI for my hack.  I am only using the OCLP-generated EFI (config.plist, ACPI, Kexts) to provide hints for the changes that I need to make to my hacks OC EFI.

1.thumb.png.a0a1cdea3ed1a5689a6e6fedd325bff3.png

• Like 1

@deeveedee

The greyed build and install button usually happens when running the app on a unsupported (or too much newer) machine. But it souldn’t happen on your hack. Not know why. 
If you change SMBIOS to enable the button and change again to macbookpro6,2, do you get back the disabled button?

Edited by miliuco
  • Thanks 1

If I change the SMBIOS target to MacBookPro6,1 (or any target model that is not MacBookPro6,2) 'Build and Install OpenCore' is available.  If I change the SMBIOS target back to MacBookPro6,2 (the model detected by OCLP 0.5.0 Beta), 'Build and Install OpenCore' is greyed out.  Changing the target and then changing it again does not restore the 'Build and Install OpenCore' option.

Note that I am running OCLP 0.5.0 Beta on a hack with SMBIOS macModel MacBookPro6,2.  This is not a real Mac.

@Stefanalmare - I think you misunderstood my question.  I would expect the 'Build and Install OpenCore' button to be available on your rig.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

If I change the SMBIOS target to MacBookPro6,1 (or any target model that is not MacBookPro6,2) 'Build and Install OpenCore' is available.  If I change the SMBIOS target back to MacBookPro6,2 (the model detected by OCLP 0.5.0 Beta), 'Build and Install OpenCore' is greyed out.  Changing the target and then changing it again does not restore the 'Build and Install OpenCore' option.

Note that I am running OCLP 0.5.0 Beta on a hack with SMBIOS macModel MacBookPro6,2.  This is not a real Mac.

@Stefanalmare - I think you misunderstood my question.  I would expect the 'Build and Install OpenCore' button to be available on your rig.

Change machine SMBIOS and make EFI for 6,2. After that switch back to your desire SMBIOS. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

...I'm not asking how to work-around the problem. Is this a bug or intended behavior?

It seems to be a strange behaviour, no? You are in a hack but OCLP should be this button enabled.

@miliuco I agree.  I believe that this button should be enabled for my hack (because it is detected as a MacBookPro6,2).  No reason for 'Build and Install OpenCore' to be greyed out.  As @Stefanalmare indicated, there's an easy work-around, so it's not a show-stopper.

After install Monterey 12.6.1 on my Dell Latitude E6410, I am unable to login to InsanelyMac with Safari 16.1  The installation of Monterey and then post-install patching with OCLP 0.5.0 Beta appears to have gone well.  Is anyone else experiencing this error when attempting to login to InsanelyMac using Safari on a OCLP-patched legacy hack?  My work-around is to use Firefox (which I am using now to post this).

1649431397_ScreenShot2022-10-21at10_16_30PM.png.8b0433cf2ccac83a7f6f242e42e12b95.png

22 hours ago, deeveedee said:

@miliuco I agree.  I believe that this button should be enabled for my hack (because it is detected as a MacBookPro6,2).  No reason for 'Build and Install OpenCore' to be greyed out.  As @Stefanalmare indicated, there's an easy work-around, so it's not a show-stopper.

The same happened with my MacBook Air hack. But you don't need to make the EFI in the machine you want to apply the changes.
Ok, I digged around a bit and using OCLP config, I found a way to increase SIP, AMFI not totally disabled and FileVault enabled. I have tried this config in an  Haswell laptop and Ivy desktop and I suppose it will work on all rigs who need OCLP. Take a look:

Spoiler

1.thumb.png.d6a80aab071afe8dc6d9c6c8a9c21b83.png

Config.plist

Edited by Stefanalmare
  • Like 2

I am finding that CorpNewt's USBMap tool doesn't work as well for my legacy hack as Rehabman's USBInjectAll/SSDT-UIAC and Hackintool's USB Mapping feature.  If I use CorpNewt's USBMap, I loose Bluetooth (even though I'm setting port type to 255).  What is the preferred USB mapping tool for legacy hacks running Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura?

Here's the process I tried (that does not produce working Bluetooth):

1. Boot with USBInjectAll.kext
  2. Run Corp Newt's USBMap tool
  3. Edit plist to set Bluetooth port type to 255 (Internal)
  4. Generate USBMapLegacy.kext (for older macOS) and USBMap.kext (for Catalina and newer)

When I boot High Sierra using USBMapLegacy.kext (without USBInjectAll.kext), I lose bluetooth.

When I boot Big Sur and Monterey with USBMap.kext (without USBInjectAll.kext), I lose bluetooth.

I know that Dortania guide prefers CorpNewt's USBMap, but it looks to me like Hackintool does a better job with USB.

13 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

I am finding that CorpNewt's USBMap tool doesn't work as well for my legacy hack as Rehabman's USBInjectAll/SSDT-UIAC and Hackintool's USB Mapping feature.  If I use CorpNewt's USBMap, I loose Bluetooth (even though I'm setting port type to 255).  What is the preferred USB mapping tool for legacy hacks running Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura?

Here's the process I tried (that does not produce working Bluetooth):

1. Boot with USBInjectAll.kext
  2. Run Corp Newt's USBMap tool
  3. Edit plist to set Bluetooth port type to 255 (Internal)
  4. Generate USBMapLegacy.kext (for older macOS) and USBMap.kext (for Catalina and newer)

When I boot High Sierra using USBMapLegacy.kext (without USBInjectAll.kext), I lose bluetooth.

When I boot Big Sur and Monterey with USBMap.kext (without USBInjectAll.kext), I lose bluetooth.

I know that Dortania guide prefers CorpNewt's USBMap, but it looks to me like Hackintool does a better job with USB.

I don't want to interfere too much in your work, but I will tell you my method if you think it is useful for you. I use from 3 yers ago, when I start to play with penryn hacks, USBToolBox.kext, UTBMap.kex. I had no problems (speed, connectivity, sleep). It was tough at the begining,  until I found that the USB2 and USB1.1 corresponding to the same connector, must be the same (internal, external) and if you put out of the map USB2 you need to do the same with USB1,1 and vice versa.

• Thanks 1

@Stefanalmare Thanks for the tip.  I've never had any problems with USBInjectAll.kext / SSDT-UIAC.aml (for old hacks) and Hackintool's USBPorts.kext for newer hacks.  I'm finding now that with my old Arrandale HackBookPro6,2, USB is challenging for unsupported Big Sur and Monterey.  I may need to try your suggestion.  Thanks again.

EDIT: After further testing, I have concluded that USBInjectAll.kext with custom SSDT-UIAC.aml is the best USB solution for my HackBookPro6,2 when running macOS versions up to and including Big Sur.  Bluetooth, video camera and all USB ports work well up through Big Sur.  Monterey USB is a bit of a challenge with this old laptop.

EDIT2: I have been able to partially resolve USB issues in Monterey by using Hackintool's USBPorts.kext and eliminating Bluetooth from the USB map.  With Bluetooth "disabled" in the USBPorts.kext map, Monterey boots quickly and external USB 2 ports work well.  The internal USB-connected video camera is recognized and appears in IORegistryExplorer, but video is not displayed in Photo Booth.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

The Monterey 12.6.1 upgrade was available on my HackBookPro6,2 (amazing).  The Monterey upgrade was smooth with no issues.  After the upgrade, OCLP automatically detected the need to re-apply the NVidia patches and applied the patches.  The OCLP developers have done an amazing job.  My old unsupported hack is behaving like fully supported, real Mac.

EDIT: Same great experience for macOS Big Sur upgrade to 11.7.1.  Smooth upgrade - no issues.

Spoiler

1091048023_ScreenShot2022-10-25at10_40_04AM.png.1e416c417acd8bbb3ff19c6fb8884df0.png

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

I used OCLP to patch my Zotac ID92 computer.  It is 4th generation (Haswell) with HD4600 IGPU.  An earlier post I made in this thread indicated that I was having problems doing this.  They were resolved.  Here's what I did:

1. I created a working OC EFI from my Clover EFI.

2. I changed the SMBIOS from Macmini7,1 (unsupported) to Macmini8,1 (supported).

3. I installed macOS Ventura from the App Store.  It installed perfectly but there was no video hardware acceleration.

4. I ran the pre-compiled version of OCLP I downloaded here and selected only Post Install Root Patch.  It identified that the only patch needed was for the HD4600 IGPU.  It was not able to run the patch because SecureBootModel in OC->Misc->Security was enabled (set to default).  I changed it to Disabled and rebooted and ran OCLP again.  This time, the patch was applied.  After rebooting, video acceleration worked and everything is running perfectly.

5. I believe I need to return SecureBootModel to Default if I want macOS updates to appear in the Software Update preference pane. I returned SecureBootModel to Default and rebooted and it is running fine.

The lesson for me was that you need to install Ventura BEFORE you can run OCLP root patcher.  Until you have Ventura installed, there is nothing to patch.

Edited by mnfesq
  • Like 1

@Slice - you posted somewhere in the pre-release Ventura thread that OCLP works with Clover as well as OC.  It is my preference to have both Clover and OC working on each of my Hacks and I use Bootloader Chooser that is packaged with Clover to be able to switch between the 2 bootloaders.

I have successfully used OCLP to patch my installation of macOS Ventura on my Zotac-ID92 (Haswell) computer but now, when I select Clover as the bootloader, it runs through the first stage boot successfully but, as soon as second stage boot starts and I see the black screen with the apple logo, it disappears right away and returns to verbose mode (i.e., the video driver failed to load).  How might I go about using OCLP to patch Clover under these circumstances.  Thanks for your help. I never want to stop using Clover.

P.S. - I have already changed the SMBIOS in Clover to Macmini8,1 which supports macOS Ventura.  

Edited by mnfesq