Installing new macOS on unsupported hardware (OCLP patcher and others)

ruslan61
322 posts in this topic

Based on a conversation in MacRumors, I stumbled upon another possible solution to failed OCLP patches.  As I noted previously, I had a Monterey 12.6.5 volume patched with OCLP 0.6.3.  I was not able to directly update the OCLP patches with version 0.6.5.  Each patch attempt resulted in an error when attempting to rebuild kernel cache.  However, when I first used the OCLP option "Revert Root Patches" and then rebooted Monterey, I was then able to apply OCLP 0.6.5 root patches.

• Like 4

In the MacRumor's "Ventura on Unsupported Macs" thread, there's a comment suggesting that RSR may never work on pre-Haswell Macs.  If 13.3.1 is the last macOS that will run on my HackBookPro6,2, it was all worth it.  What an amazing journey and a fun ride.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

For now, only OCLP 0.6.5 source code is published. No pkg files 🙂 So I can test. 

----SOLVED-----

Edited by Matgen84
  • Like 2

On 5/4/2023 at 10:21 AM, deeveedee said:

In the MacRumors "Ventura on Unsupported Macs" thread, there's a comment suggesting that RSR may never work on pre-Haswell Macs.  If 13.3.1 is the last macOS that will run on my HackBookPro6,2, it was all worth it.  What an amazing journey and a fun ride.

Further clarification in MacRumors thread: pre-Haswell Macs can't apply RSRs (Rapid Security Responses), but that doesn't mean they are "stuck" on 13.3.1.  When the security update implemented in the RSR becomes available in the next incremental release, pre-Haswell Macs can apply the update.  For example, pre-Haswell Macs will be unable to install RSR 13.3.1a, but they will be able to install 13.4 (and thus benefit from the security update that was included in 13.3.1a).

For whatever reason, the act of applying the RSR requires one or more AVX2.0 opCodes that are not available in pre-Haswell CPUs.  This may eventually be resolved using something similar to OpCodeEmulator, but for now, pre-Haswell Macs cannot apply RSRs and simply need to wait for the next incremental release.

• Like 3

@miliuco Unknown by me, too.  I felt like an idiot in the MacRumors forum trying to get an explanation.  I think that normally, I pick things up fairly quickly.  In this case, I had a mental block and was slow on the uptake, but I did understand eventually.

• Like 2

On 3/16/2023 at 11:17 AM, deeveedee said:

Sharing this to potentially help others who are using OCLP to patch their legacy hacks.  I have found that my old HackBookPro6,2 does not boot macOS when FeatureUnlock.kext is enabled.  See details here.

With FeatureUnlock.kext 1.1.4, I no longer need to disable the kext in my OC config.plist.  My HackBookPro6,2 boots just fine when FeatureUnlock.kext 1.1.4 is enabled.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just now I've noticed the huge change in the graphical interface that OCLP 0.6.6 is receiving. Pleasantly surprised. It almost looks like a different app.

I don't know where khronokernel and the others find the time to make so many contributions.

Spoiler

oclp-066.png.7ea081a13b1cb4cb3fa3aca2e02c6152.png

My iMac16,2 is still very easy to use with OCLP and Ventura 13.4, no issues, all is working fine.

EDIT: as a beta, OCLP 0.6.6 sometimes hangs when relaunching as root. Apart of this, no other issue so far. 

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 4

OCLP 0.6.6 Release is out and it looks great.  Just applied post-install patches to Ventura 13.2.1 with it and the patch was flawless.

• Like 3

Thanks @deeveedee Updated flawlessly. Very nice new UI.

Surprised by the new update system, detecting an older OCLP version and offering updating it, even building a new OpenCore EFI, installing it into the macOS disk and applying root patches, impressive.

Spoiler

066-1.png.89fadc8c76374ec91d2a355c482c4124.png

066-2.png.ab4e3a924227ad026204f32097331f2b.png

066-3.png.334ee099775427f55405be2118d1aa7f.png

• Like 2

@miliuco The OCLP developers are world-class software wizards.  Their productivity and ability to overcome obstacles is incredible.  We are very fortunate to have developers like this in our real Mac and hackintosh communities.  Looking at the conversations over at MacRumors, it's fun to see the real Mac and Hackintosh communities working together toward a common goal.

• Like 4

I made some tests with the new OCLP 0.6.7 (AMFI enabler):

All Ventura 13,5, all AMFI enabled

MacBook Pro

MacBookPro9,1 -> OK
MacBookPro8,2 -> OK
MacBookPro4,1 -> OK

Hack's

Desktop -> Asus P5q, Macmini4,1, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3 GB -> AMFI enabled, Library Validation disabled
Desktop -> HP xw4600 Workstation, iMac10,1, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU X9650 @ 3.00GHz, AMD Radeon HD 7750 1 GB -> AMFI enabled, Library Validation disabled
Laptop -> Asus R301L, MacBookAir6,2, i3 4005U, HD 4400 -> AMFI enabled, Library Validation enabled

Laptop -> Probook 4540s, MacBookPro10,1, i7 3840QM, HD 4000 -> AMFI enabled, Library Validation enabled

Edited by Stefanalmare
  • Like 5

Very excited about the rapid progress being made by the OCLP developers.  My HackBookPro6,2 is now booting/running Ventura 13.4 with AMFI and Library Validation both fully ENABLED as described here.

• Like 4

I think this is a big deal.  I am able to transition macOS from AMFI-disabled to AMFI-enabled just by updating my EFI and patching with OCLP-067Beta2.  OCLP developers have made it clear that they do not support hackintoshes and they do not support patching over previous patches when Settings > Host Model is changed to a specified SMBIOS model.  Regardless of the support level or intended operation, it appears to work perfectly.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, deeveedee said:

I think this is a big deal.  I am able to transition macOS from AMFI-disabled to AMFI-enabled just by updating my EFI and patching with OCLP-067Beta2.  OCLP developers have made it clear that they do not support hackintoshes and they do not support patching over previous patches when Settings > Host Model is changed to a specified SMBIOS model.  Regardless of the support level or intended operation, it appears to work perfectly.

Hi @deeveedee

OpenCore from OCLP not support Hackintosh anyway, your not need to install OC from the patcher to making hack working on unsupported macOS's your only need your EFI adapted for the macOS version and the necessary kexts

It gives absolutely nothing to have a config.plist with kernel patches and kexts that are for real mac , it makes no sense

This program here for any HP Laptop 7, 8 series use OCLP for Rootpatch only thats it nothings more  the config and the kexts are the same of Big Sur and Monterey. Prouve of concept

EDIT**

If there would not have been the changes concerning KDK and kmutil you could have done all this in manual command without any patching as for Monterey 12

So @deeveedee try to use your original config.plist  adapted for Ventura of course with a recent OpenCore version then use only RootPatch from the patcher, its suppose to work.  I have 3 differant Hackintosh (PC, Laptop) working like that.

• Like 3

@chris1111 Ok.  You are clearly much more intelligent than I am.  Seriously though, you are misunderstanding my approach.  If you want to know what I did, feel free to read my thread.

EDIT: Glad to see that Retirement is treating you well.

Edited by deeveedee

I attempted an "in-place" update of Big Sur 11.7.7 (previously installed with AMFI and Library Validation both disabled) to OCLP 0.6.7Beta2.  Unfortunately, I was unable to boot Big Sur with AMFI and Library Validation enabled (boot resulted in an AppleAHCIDiskDriver kernel panic).  However, I was able to boot the Big Sur 11.7.7 installer with the new EFI (AMFI and Library Validation both ENABLED) and after the successful installation of Big Sur, I was able to apply OCLP 0.6.7Beta2 post-install patches.  Now I am booting Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura with the same OC 0.9.2 EFI (AMFI and Library Validation both enabled) and all patched with the same OCLP 0.6.7Beta2 patches.

I am sure that there are better ways to hack my legacy rig and I am always learning.  I continue to be reminded that perfect is the enemy of good enough.  I continue to be amazed that I'm running the latest macOS version on a 2010 Dell Latitude E6410 and it works very well (not perfect, but definitely good enough for my purposes).

EDIT: DhinaK set me straight on Discord.  She suggested installing OCLP0.6.7 Beta2 post-install patches to Big Sur BEFORE enabling AMFI/LV.  That worked!  
Lesson learned: If you have previously applied post-install patches with OCLP 0.6.6 to a volume with AMFI/LV disabled, install post-install patches with OCLP 0.6.7Beta2 (or newer) BEFORE enabling AMFI/LV.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

There was misinformation being spread on MacRumors where some were claiming that Macs did not require AMFI disabled prior to macOS 13.3.  As we all know here, this is not true.  I received this confirmation on the Open Core Legacy Patcher Discord.  Just posting here for clarification:

• AMFI has always been disabled on your Non-Metal MBP6,2 system
  • Metal systems did not require AMFI to be disabled on 13.2.1 and earlier

My MBP6,2 is a non-metal system. I have had to disable AMFI for as long as I have been injecting Nvidia kexts (I think even in Mojave and Catalina when I was using DosDude patchers).

• Like 2

Hello guys!

I'm facing an issue trying to install macOS Ventura (last stable release) on a MacbookPro 8,3 + OCLP 0.6.6 + USB stick 16GB, 2.0

I've erase the disk, and begin the installation, but when it's get closer to end I got this message: "An error occurred while updating or installing macOS"

Pic bellow 👇

Spoiler

Imagem do WhatsApp de 2023-05-23 à(s) 21.33.22.jpg

Do you have some tips?

Thank you

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Allan said:

Hello guys!

I'm facing an issue trying to install macOS Ventura (last stable release) on a MacbookPro 8,3 + OCLP 0.6.6 + USB stick 16GB, 2.0

I've erase the disk, and begin the installation, but when it's get closer to end I got this message: "An error occurred while updating or installing macOS"

Pic bellow 👇

Reveal hidden contents

Imagem do WhatsApp de 2023-05-23 à(s) 21.33.22.jpg

Do you have some tips?

Thank you

If You Use The CreateMediaInstall Method Try This

DON"T BOOT OF THE USB

INSTEAD Run The ??.App From The USB ( ?? Means The Installer )

Should Sort Out The Problem

Well it Did Here

• Thanks 1

@Allan - If you're still looking for fixes, generate the installer with OCLP.

EDIT: @Allan if it's any consolation, I've experienced the same error when attempting to install Ventura 13.2.1 using an installer that I created with GibMacOS.  I didn't spend any time debugging.  I just created the installer with OCLP and it worked.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Allan said:

Hello guys!

Pic bellow 👇

Reveal hidden contents

Do you have some tips?

Thank you

One of the possible reason is ExtendedFirmwareFeature doesn't contain 35 bit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1