Installing new macOS on unsupported hardware (OCLP patcher and others)

ruslan61
322 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, deeveedee said:

I thought it would be safe to test Ventura 13.3.1 on my HackBookPro6,2 after the release of OCLP 0.6.3.  After upgrading Ventura 13.2.1 to 13.3.1 and patching with OCLP 0.6.3 [RELEASE], Finder doesn't work for me.  I needed to restore Ventura 13.2.1 for working Finder.

Wellcome!

Edited by Stefanalmare
  • Like 2

Hi all

Monterey Safari have a problem repeatedly occurred web page after each update, on each website (my old Ivybridge SMBIOS MacPro6,1 instead of iMac13,2). No problem with Google Chrome.

The only working solution:  root patch (OCLP 0.6.3 Release) again Intel HD4000 and my Nvidia GT640. I don't understand why ?

I mistaken something somewhere or it's a normal behavior for Safari.

Any ideas, please.

@Matgen84 I'm not sure I understand your issue.  If you are asking whether it is normal to require OCLP 0.6.3 root patch after upgrading Safari, the answer is "Yes."  You must apply OCLP 0.6.3 root patch after upgrading Safari to 16.4.1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For those who care about privacy, OCLP is (or will be) collecting diagnostic reports.  See commits here.  Disable the diagnostic reports with the following command:

defaults write com.dortania.opencore-legacy-patcher DisableCrashAndAnalyticsReporting -bool true

In MacRumors Ventura forum, user MacRalf indicated that Crash Analytics can also be disabled in OCLP GUI under Settings --> Developer Settings.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I reinstalled Ventura 13.3.1 from scratch on my HackBookPro6,2.  I am not seeing the broken finder problem any more.  My previous install had been an upgrade from Monterey to 13.2.1 and then an upgrade to 13.3.1.  I am currently working to try to reproduce my previously reported problem, but for now, Ventura 13.3.1 is running well on this hack.  Patched with OCLP 0.6.3 [RELEASE] and booting with OC 0.9.1.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

My HackBookPro6,2 is working "perfectly" (for my purposes) with Big Sur 11.7.6, Monterey 12.6.5 and Ventura 13.3.1 (patched with OCLP 0.6.4 and booting with OC 0.9.1). I've been experimenting with OCLP since 0.4.x, so it's understandable that there might be some remaining artifacts from previous OCLP bugs and borked macOS upgrades that affect my Mac's performance. Recently, after I upgraded from Big Sur 11.7.5 to 11.7.6, Big Sur would no longer shutdown. And after upgrading from Ventura 13.2.1 to 13.3.1, I lost Finder.  

In both cases, I "fixed" the problem by adding a new APFS volume, installing macOS from scratch and using migration assistant to port all my data/apps from the old macOS volume. For example, when Big Sur 11.7.6 wouldn't shutdown after the upgrade from 11.7.5, I added an APFS volume, performed a clean install of Big Sur 11.7.6 on the new APFS volume and then used migration assistant to import my data/apps to the new 11.7.6 install from the non-working install.

I hope this helps someone else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi OCLP Developer Teams and users

I use OCLP 0.6.4 root patch on my old Ivy Bridge (Monterey 12.6.5). Carbon cpy cloner and SuperDuper failed to create a Bootable Clone, maybe because root patches are installed as Users says in macrumors thread.

Is there an option to uninstall the patch to clone? And then reinstall them once the operation is finished. Let me know please.

5 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

I use OCLP 0.6.4 root patch on my old Ivy Bridge (Monterey 12.6.5). Carbon cpy cloner and SuperDuper failed to create a Bootable Clone, maybe because root patches are installed as Users says in macrumors thread.

Is there an option to uninstall the patch to clone? And then reinstall them once the operation is finished. Let me know please.

Try revert Root patch, reboot try carbone cloner before reinstall the patch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, chris1111 said:

Try revert Root patch, reboot try carbone cloner before reinstall the patch

Thanks. I must revert on each disk (original and clone), before using Carbon Copy Clonver or SuperDuper, Right ! 🙂

2 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

Thanks. I must revert on each disk (original and clone), before using Carbon Copy Clonver or SuperDuper, Right ! 🙂

I dont know, and I dont know if that work? its only a suggestion

• Thanks 1

On 4/23/2023 at 10:10 AM, Matgen84 said:

What version of Carbon Copy Cloner are you using?  There are known issues with CCC prior to version 6.0.4 (which, if I remember correctly, requires a new purchase to upgrade from CCC 5).  I no longer use CCC to clone volumes.  I use Restore in Disk Utility.

EDIT: I don't understand why root patches would prevent cloning.  Can someone explain why OCLP root patches would prevent cloning (if that is true)?

Edited by deeveedee

1 hour ago, deeveedee said:

What version of Carbon Copy Cloner are you using?  There are known issues with CCC prior to version 6.0.4 (which, if I remember correctly, requires a new purchase to upgrade from CCC 5).  I no longer use CCC to clone volumes.  I use Restore in Disk Utility.

EDIT: I don't understand why root patches would prevent cloning.  Can someone explain why OCLP root patches would prevent cloning (if that is true)?

I use OCLP 0.6.4 root patch on my old Ivy Bridge (Monterey 12.6.5) and Carbon Copy cloner 6.1.1.

CCC 'Standard Backups' do not include the operating system, so I can't create a Bootable clone. The solution : install macOS on the clone disk or using legacy bootable copy assistant. In this case, I've a replication APFS issues. Some macrumor's users says because root patches OCLP are installed on System Volume.

4 hours ago, chris1111 said:

@Matgen84 I dont think you can Clone on a SnapShot disk, thats why its failled with OCLP

Correct me if iam wrong?

@chris1111 Right. By default, CCC does not attempt to make backups of the startup disk (Big Sur+) bootable. If you would like to configure CCC to create a bootable copy of your Mac's startup disk, you can use the Legacy Bootable Copy Assistant. CCC will use Apple's APFS replicator (named "ASR") to create a copy of the system.
I try this method without success 😉 As I said before some macrumor's users said its failed because OCLP root patch is installed. But I don,'t know if it's true !

@Matgen84 If you are still struggling with cloning a volume and all attempts have failed, you can always try performing a clean installation of macOS and use Migration Assistance to import your data from the other volume.  For example, if you want to clone a Ventura 13.3.1 Volume, install Ventura 13.3.1 to a new APFS Volume and then run Migration Assistant to import from the old Ventura 13.3.1 volume.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deeveedee said:

@Matgen84 If you are still struggling with cloning a volume and all attempts have failed, you can always try performing a clean installation of macOS and use Migration Assistance to import your data from the other volume.  For example, if you want to clone a Ventura 13.3.1 Volume, install Ventura 13.3.1 to a new APFS Volume and then run Migration Assistant to import from the old Ventura 13.3.1 volume.

@deeveedee Thanks.  I use CCC Standard Method (cloning Volume Data), install macOS from USB Installer. This solution replace Migration assistant.

Has anyone seen this error when attempting to apply OCLP post-install patches?

Spoiler

OCLP-Patch-Error.thumb.jpg.00f46ef7462fbc28c16bb6e58f4e06fb.jpg

Any suggestions about how to fix this?  I see this error when I attempt to apply OCLP 0.6.5 [DEV] post-install patches to Big Sur and Monterey patched with OCLP 0.6.3.

• Sad 1

@miliuco I don't think that would work on a MBP6,2, since OCLP doesn't install any kexts to /L/E on this hack.  The only kexts in /L/E are those native to the OS:

MBP6,2 Monterey 12.6.5 /Library/Extensions

2011364630_ScreenShot2023-04-29at7_33_53PM.png.9d470615de0979a590cbe4649a386739.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

@deeveedee

I’m talking about 0.6.0 just released, on a real iMac 16,2. I had extra extensions in that folder, removing them I was able to apply the patch. But if newer versions of OCLP don’t install kexts into /L/E then my comment is not useful 😕

@Matgen84 How was that last post sad?  It was one of my happier posts :)

I was reminded today that there's still much for me to learn.  I have Big Sur (patched with OCLP 0.6.5), Monterey (patched with OCLP 0.6.3) and Ventura (patched with OCLP 0.6.5) installed in separate APFS volumes on a single SSD on my MBP6,2.  All boot from a single OC 0.9.1 EFI and all are patched with OCLP.  I'm experiencing some OCLP patching issues on Monterey (can't apply OCLP 0.6.5n post-install patches to upgrade from OCLP 0.6.3 patches), so I added an APFS volume and performed a clean installation of Monterey to the new volume.  The installation went perfectly.  I went to apply the OC 0.6.5 post-install patches to my newly installed Monterey volume, and OCLP 0.6.5 informed me that 0.6.5 patches are already installed.  I re-installed the 0.6.5 patches without any problems and rebooted.  During the patching, OCLP reported that it found the old Nvidia patches (and was overwriting them).

On my multi-booting system, why were the OCLP post-install patches already installed on my fresh installation of Monterey?

57 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

@Matgen84 How was that last post sad?  It was one of my happier posts :)

I was reminded today that there's still much for me to learn.  I have Big Sur (patched with OCLP 0.6.5), Monterey (patched with OCLP 0.6.3) and Ventura (patched with OCLP 0.6.5) installed in separate APFS volumes on a single SSD on my MBP6,2.  All boot from a single OC 0.9.1 EFI and all are patched with OCLP.  I'm experiencing some OCLP patching issues on Monterey (can't apply OCLP 0.6.5n post-install patches to upgrade from OCLP 0.6.3 patches), so I added an APFS volume and performed a clean installation of Monterey to the new volume.  The installation went perfectly.  I went to apply the OC 0.6.5 post-install patches to my newly installed Monterey volume, and OCLP 0.6.5 informed me that 0.6.5 patches are already installed.  I re-installed the 0.6.5 patches without any problems and rebooted.  During the patching, OCLP reported that it found the old Nvidia patches (and was overwriting them).

On my multi-booting system, why were the OCLP post-install patches already installed on my fresh installation of Monterey?

Because you built the OS installer with OCLP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After being unable to upgrade my Monterey 12.6.5 volume OCLP patches to 0.6.5 (stuck on 0.6.3), I performed a clean install / migrate of Monterey on a new APFS volume.  The macOS installation was flawless (booting the macOS installer with my OC 0.9.1 EFI) and OCLP 0.6.5 patches applied without any issues.  This clean install/migrate strategy continues to be my go-to solution when an in-place re-installation of macOS doesn't fix the problem.  I have now found that this strategy works with Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura.

• Like 3