Installing new macOS on unsupported hardware (OCLP patcher and others)

ruslan61
322 posts in this topic

There are multiple ways to use OCLP and it's good that we're finding all of them.  I prefer to use OCLP to generate the Open Core EFI for my hack and then I extract some of the kexts I need (including AMFIPass.kext) from the OCLP-generated EFI.  In addition to the kexts, I examine the OCLP-generated EFI config.plist for OCLP's kernel patches, ACPI patches (e.g., for my Arrandale CPU) and other elements.  There are elements of the OCLP-generated EFI that I ignore because they are applicable only to a real Mac.

To generate OCLP's EFI for my hack (which uses SMBIOS model MacBookPro6,2):

1. Open OCLP
  2. Click the "Settings" button
  3. Change "Target Model" from "Host Model" to "MacBookPro6,2" (you would select your SMBIOS model here)
  4. Change Build options, Extras, Advanced, Security and App options if necessary
  5. Click "Return" button
  6. Click "Build and Install Open Core"
  7. Install Open Core EFI to a USB
  8. Examine the OCLP-generated EFI

If you want to tell me how my approach is wrong or that your approach is the only right way to do this, please open OCLP > Support > Official Phone Support to report your issues.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

For my core2quad, I just use CryptexFixup.kext for Ventura installation.

1. Was able to update to 13.5 beta 2 when it was first released without any issue.

2. Have never used OCLP to create Ventura macOS installer for installation.

I am assuming when @Stefanalmare kindly took a time to demonstrate, he only used CryptexFixup.kext to fresh install Ventura 13.5 beta 2

Edited by FirstTimeCustomac
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, FirstTimeCustomac said:

For my core2quad, I just use CryptexFixup.kext for Ventura installation.

1. Was able to update to 13.5 beta 2 when it was first released without any issue.

2. Have never used OCLP to create Ventura macOS installer for installation.

I am assuming when @Stefanalmare kindly took a time to demonstrate, he only used CryptexFixup.kext to fresh install Ventura 13.5 beta 2

True! I have just installed 13.5 beta 2 on one core2 using the same EFI from always. For me OCLP is just a source of inspiration and solution for unexpected problems given by updates (upgrades). In my opinion we can not consider our hacks genuine Mac's, so OCLP can not be used to build EFI or root patching at higher level then normal (GPU, IGPU, USB1.1 maybe some few more and hopefully WIFI in Sonoma). Cheers!

• Like 2

I have a 2011 MacBook Air. 11" screen. MacBookAir 4,1 SMBIOS.

The screen got too small for my old man eyes and won't accept more than High Sierra 10.13.6. So a few years ago I plugged it into the TV in the living room and since then I use it as a multimedia drive with Apple BT keyboard and mouse, with complete satisfaction. Logically its performance can be better.

Yesterday I was curious to try OCLP on this laptop, never worried that it wouldn't update but curiosity to see how well OCLP works on such an old Mac was strong.
I downloaded OCLP 0.6.7, from this app I downloaded Big Sur, prepared the EFI on a USB stick and installed Big Sur. There were no issues during the process. Everything was smooth and good if a little slow. And Big Sur runs very well on this laptop, with better graphics than High Sierra and some obvious improvements like Apple TV and Airdrop.

When starting Big Sur for the first time there were black boxes on the toolbar in Safari and some applications but choosing Display-P3 as display color profile (as advised by OCLP developers) solved the problem.

Sometimes @deeveedee (and others) compliments OCLP but it is true, what they have achieved is impressive.

Spoiler

274120428_air41.png.3f0b31a9ca13d8983d00c9450e677b55.png

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 5

Open Core Legacy Patcher team is now accepting well-deserved contributions to pay for used Macs for testing OCLP.  I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this, so forgive me, moderators, if this is not allowed and accept my apology if you need to delete this post.

https://opencollective.com/opencore-legacy-patcher

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 3

On 6/6/2023 at 2:53 PM, deeveedee said:

There are multiple ways to use OCLP and it's good that we're finding all of them.  I prefer to use OCLP to generate the Open Core EFI for my hack and then I extract some of the kexts I need (including AMFIPass.kext) from the OCLP-generated EFI.  In addition to the kexts, I examine the OCLP-generated EFI config.plist for OCLP's kernel patches, ACPI patches (e.g., for my Arrandale CPU) and other elements.  There are elements of the OCLP-generated EFI that I ignore because they are applicable only to a real Mac.

To generate OCLP's EFI for my hack (which uses SMBIOS model MacBookPro6,2):

1. Open OCLP
  2. Click the "Settings" button
  3. Change "Target Model" from "Host Model" to "MacBookPro6,2" (you would select your SMBIOS model here)
  4. Change Build options, Extras, Advanced, Security and App options if necessary
  5. Click "Return" button
  6. Click "Build and Install Open Core"
  7. Install Open Core EFI to a USB
  8. Examine the OCLP-generated EFI

If you want to tell me how my approach is wrong or that your approach is the only right way to do this, please open OCLP > Support > Official Phone Support to report your issues.

I would hit "View Build Log" instead of "Install"

At the end of the log you'll find the location of the EFI.

Copy the path,

Open FInder, hit CMG+SHIFT+G,

Paste in the address and hit Enter. And there's the EFI folder.

BTW: I have created guides for implementing all the necessary changes for Sondy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Haswell and Skylake: https://github.com/5T33Z0/OC-Little-Translated/tree/main/14_OCLP_Wintel

Edited by cankiulascmnfye
  • Like 5

On 6/12/2023 at 9:29 AM, miliuco said:

When starting Big Sur for the first time there were black boxes on the toolbar in Safari and some applications but choosing Display-P3 as display color profile (as advised by OCLP developers) solved the problem.

Thanks for posting.  I imagine that the best color profile will vary by model.  With my MBP6,2 hack, Generic RGB Profile produces sharper colors.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was able to update Ventura with OCLP 0.6.7 to Sonoma on an iMac 21" late 2015 (iMac16,2) using OCLP 0.6.9 (Early preview of macOS Sonoma). There have been no issues and everything has gone as expected.
This is the way I've done it.

Ventura

• download nightly build of OCLP 0.6.9 sonoma-development branch
  • replace OCLP 0.6.7 with 0.6.9
  • create the EFI folder from OCLP 0.6.9, leaving OCLP default settings
  • turn on macOS beta updates
  • upgrade to Sonoma.

Sonoma

• OCLP asks to root patch for Modern Wireless, not for iGPU Broadwell, the reason is that Broadwell requires KDK download and this is not possible without wifi and internet connection (I don't use Ethernet)
  • reboot >> there is wifi working but no graphics acceleration
  • OCLP asks to root patch for Broadwell iGPU + Modern Wireless, this time downloading KDK and applying patches
  • reboot >> there is wifi working and graphics acceleration.

So far everything I've tried seems to work fine, Sonoma has a similar smooth operation to Ventura.

Note 1: do not install OCLP version 0.6.8. To have wifi in Sonoma you have to install the nightly build from the sonoma-development branch, at least until both branches are merged.

Note 2: latest builds for the sonoma-development branch:

https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/pull/1077#issuecomment-1646934494

Thank you OCLP developers, excellent work!!!

Spoiler

186497025_imac162-sonoma.thumb.png.46bf247f945832d562594fcdc47f8e33.png

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 8

15 hours ago, miliuco said:

Good find!!!

Thanks!  This continues to be a fun and challenging team effort.  Going to miss this when Apple finally discontinues Intel support.

• Like 1

My BCM 94352HMB Wi-Fi is still working perfectly in Sonoma, but not for the reasons I initially thought.  I misinterpreted my Sonoma Wi-Fi patching test results.  I was experimenting with ACPI spoofing and different versions of AirportBrcmFixup.kext at the same time and incorrectly concluded that I was able to patch my BCM 94352HMB Wi-Fi because of the AirportBrcmFixup.kext version.  It turns out that it was the device spoofing that allowed me to patch my Wi-Fi - not the AirportBrcmFixup.kext.  I have repeated this with a clean install of Sonoma just to confirm.  See my revised conclusion here and my mea culpa here.

After applying Wi-Fi patches with OCLP 0.6.9, I can delete the ACPI patches (Wi-Fi device spoofing) and I can use either Acidanthera's AirportBrcmFixup.kext 2.1.7 or the revised OCLP version of AirportBrcmFixup.kext 2.1.7 (with a plugin removed).  Both AirportBrcmFixup.kexts work fine in Sonoma.  Wi-Fi device spoofing is required (for me) only for applying the OCLP post-install WiFi patches and is not required for normal Wi-Fi operation in Sonoma.

EDIT: My exact steps for installing and patching Sonoma are here.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

Has anyone experienced this error on the incorporation of the kext AMFIPass.kext in Sonoma does not give this error on the same team with Ventura the team is a Sandy Brigue indicated below.

1690791182778.jpg

Captura de pantalla 2023-07-31 a las 10.12.20.png

I understand that OCLP 6.9 has not even been released yet and that patching for Sonoma wifi is in its earliest stages.  However, does it appear possible that at some point in the future, Sonoma wifi can be patched using a csr-active-config other than 03080000?  I really miss using Xtrafinder and I have other apps that require complete disabling of SIP.  If I have to choose between working wifi and working 3rd-party apps, I will obviously choose wifi.  If I didn't have to choose, life would be even better.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mnfesq said:

I understand that OCLP 6.9 has not even been released yet and that patching for Sonoma wifi is in its earliest stages.  However, does it appear possible that at some point in the future, Sonoma wifi can be patched using a csr-active-config other than 03080000?  I really miss using Xtrafinder and I have other apps that require complete disabling of SIP.  If I have to choose between working wifi and working 3rd-party apps, I will obviously choose wifi.  If I didn't have to choose, life would be even better.

You can try FF0F0000 or EF0F0000.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have refined my Sonoma ACPI Wi-Fi patching to allow us to patch BCM 94352HMB Wi-Fi in Sonoma.  This simplified ACPI patch allows OCLP 0.6.9 to detect and patch Sonoma Wi-Fi without interfering with Wi-Fi operation.  This means that with this simplified patch, the ACPI patch can be applied permanently (doesn't need to be applied for OCLP Wi-Fi patching and then removed for normal operation).  I am currently running with this ACPI patch and am finding that Wi-Fi works normally in both Ventura and Sonoma and the ACPI patch allows OCLP 0.6.9 to detect the need for Modern_WiFi patches (no need for any OCLP code changes).

I am looking for an experienced tester to test this with me.  If you have Open Core ACPI patching experience and want to test this with me, PM me.  If you want to test this on your own and report your findings, that's fine, too.

More details here.

• Like 3