Installing new macOS on unsupported hardware (OCLP patcher and others)

ruslan61
322 posts in this topic

@mnfesq

OCLP has OpenCore 0.8.5 built in, so it's not right to say that OCLP can work with OC or Clover.

OCLP also has a patch built in to patch the root system and get support for iGPUS and dGPUS not supported. This patch can be run on a hackintosh and I think that this task can be applied with OC or Clover (not sure).

I see your signature, the Envy 17-ae100 has Coffe Lake CPU and iGPU so it doesn't need OCLP or the root patch. This machine is Ventura supported.

The other rig, Zotac-ID92 is Haswell, this can't have Ventura properly working without the OCLP patch.

MacMini8,1 is Ventura supported, of course, but Haswell needs the root patch. Get OCLP from its official GitHub site, 0.5.0 release, install Ventura, run Ventura without proper graphics acceleration, run OpenCore-Patcher.app and click on apply root patch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mnfesq said:

5. I believe I need to return SecureBootModel to Default if I want macOS updates to appear in the Software Update preference pane. I returned SecureBootModel to Default and rebooted and it is running fine.

For my HackBookPro6,2 (Dell Latitude E6410), I must have SecureBootModel Disabled in order to boot Big Sur and Monterey.  I was notified by Software Update for both Big Sur and Monterey updates, even though my SecureBootModel is Disabled and after the updates, OCLP automatically asked me to re-apply post-install patches.

EDIT: Also, after applying the most recent Monterey updates (Monterey and Safari) to my HackBookPro6,2, I no longer have any issues with Safari and the InsanelyMac website.

1 hour ago, miliuco said:

@mnfesq

OCLP has OpenCore 0.8.5 built in, so it's not right to say that OCLP can work with OC or Clover.

OCLP also has a patch built in to patch the root system and get support for iGPUS and dGPUS not supported. This patch can be run on a hackintosh and I think that this task can be applied with OC or Clover (not sure).

It is true that OCLP generates an EFI for OpenCore, but I only used the OCLP-generated EFI to see what kexts and boot-args were required.  I think it wouldn't be a problem to extract the necessary items from OCLP-generated EFI for a CLOVER EFI.  As you indicated, the OCLP post-install patcher should work regardless of whether booting with CLOVER or OC.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, miliuco said:

@mnfesq

I see your signature, the Envy 17-ae100 has Coffe Lake CPU and iGPU so it doesn't need OCLP or the root patch. This machine is Ventura supported.

The other rig, Zotac-ID92 is Haswell, this can't have Ventura properly working without the OCLP patch.

MacMini8,1 is Ventura supported, of course, but Haswell needs the root patch. Get OCLP from its official GitHub site, 0.5.0 release, install Ventura, run Ventura without proper graphics acceleration, run OpenCore-Patcher.app and click on apply root patch.

OCLP root patch works just well with clover. The problem is that for legacy rigs are some OC/OCLP patches hard (for me) to translate to clover. I have done this in all my legacy machine and it works.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Slice said:

@mnfesq,

I don't know the details how to do the patch. You'd better ask Chris1111 who is available on github

https://github.com/chris1111/Fix-Graphics-HD-3000-Mojave-10.14

What is the graphics you speak about?

My computer is a 4th Generation Intel (Haswell) and uses HD4600. I think I will have to review my graphics settings in Clover and make sure I don't have any setting that is different from my OC graphics settings.

Edited by mnfesq

22 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

For my HackBookPro6,2 (Dell Latitude E6410), I must have SecureBootModel Disabled in order to boot Big Sur and Monterey.  I was notified by Software Update for both Big Sur and Monterey updates, even though my SecureBootModel is Disabled and after the updates, OCLP automatically asked me to re-apply post-install patches.

EDIT: Also, after applying the most recent Monterey updates (Monterey and Safari) to my HackBookPro6,2, I no longer have any issues with Safari and the InsanelyMac website.

It is true that OCLP generates an EFI for OpenCore, but I only used the OCLP-generated EFI to see what kexts and boot-args were required.  I think it wouldn't be a problem to extract the necessary items from OCLP-generated EFI for a CLOVER EFI.  As you indicated, the OCLP post-install patcher should work regardless of whether booting with CLOVER or OC.

SecureBootModel must be disabled when OCLP root patch is applied and after.

All my legacy machine have SecureBootModel disable and I have no problem with updates. If it happens (rarely) unenroll/enroll it is enough.

Edited by Stefanalmare
  • Like 2

I am amazed by how well my old HackBookPro6,2 runs Big Sur and Monterey.  For everyday tasks, performance is outstanding (which says a lot about how well Apple writes its OS code).   I have installed Microsoft Office, Tunnelblick, VNC Viewer, iMovie, Xcode, Visual Studio and other apps in both operating systems and am finding virtually no limitations.  MS Office is running better in Big Sur and Monterey than it did when I patched Catalina with DosDude's patcher (an awesome patcher, by the way).  The OCLP team deserves much praise and credit for extending the life of old hardware.  For those who are on a budget or want to keep electronics out of our landfills, OCLP provides an outstanding way to breath new life into unsupported Macs and hacks.  Well done!

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 3

This question is for hacks, not real Macs...

There are some changes in the EFI generated by OCLP 0.5.1 like the ones listed below.  How is everyone tracking these changes to make sure your own EFIs are current?

• Change CryptexFixup.kext>MinKernel from 22.0.0 to 20.0.0
  • Upgrade CryptexFixup.kext from version 1.0.0 to 1.0.1
  • Set MaxKernel = 21.99.99 for Reroute kern.hv_vmm_present_patch(2).    Previously no MaxKernel

I'm not sure which OCLP version I originally used to generate my EFI, so I can't be certain about when these changes were introduced.

Edited by deeveedee

That's a good solution for a real Mac.  I should have been more specific and limited my question to hacks.

I have edited my original question to specify hacks, not Macs.

Edited by deeveedee

On 10/26/2022 at 12:27 PM, Slice said:

@mnfesq,

I don't know the details how to do the patch. You'd better ask Chris1111 who is available on github

https://github.com/chris1111/Fix-Graphics-HD-3000-Mojave-10.14

What is the graphics you speak about?

I was able to use Clover to boot macOS Ventura on my Zotac ID92 (Haswell + HD4600) computer that was modified by OCLP.  Since OCLP patches the macOS operating system, it doesn't matter which bootloader you use to boot to Ventura once it has been patched.  

I basically copied my config.plist data for OC to Clover.  While I didn't review this web page before doing so, it is helpful nonetheless:  https://5t33z0.gitbook.io/clover-crate/appendix/oc2clover.

I also copied the SSDT's I have for OC to Clover-ACPI-Patched, although I'm not certain that I needed to do so.  I just wanted to make the settings for the two bootloaders as identical as possible.

The one thing that was critical, however, was that OCLP, when it creates the OC EFI folder/config.plist, adds a section to NVRAM that, for me, looked like this:

<key>4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102 2</key>
			<dict>
				<key>OCLP-Model</key>
				<string>Macmini8,1</string>
				<key>OCLP-Settings</key>
				<string> -allow_fv -allow_amfi</string>
				<key>OCLP-Version</key>
				<string>0.5.1</string>
			</dict>

There is no way to create a NVRAM section to Clover but, using the method suggested in the tutorial I linked to above, I added

-allow_fv

-allow_amfi

as boot args.  That made all the difference for me and, once I did that, my video drivers were able to load, I had hardware acceleration and my IGPU was able to identify my display as the Panasonic TV I connect to via a DP-to-HDMI adapter.  After updating to Clover v5150, everything is still working just fine.

• Like 3

@mnfesq At what stage in the installation / running did you observe that you needed those boot arguments?  I ask, because as I was debugging some issues with my HackBookPro6,2, I deleted the following from my OC config.plist (which I had copied from OCLP's generate EFI) and didn't notice any difference.  

710932107_ScreenShot2022-10-31at2_26_32PM.png.321ddebf2977d40983d8d223ae80f8a1.png

I am able to run Big Sur and Monterey with or without this NVRAM addition (without breaking graphics acceleration).

I have the following two arguments in my boot-args:  -no_compat_check amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1.

I believe that it is amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1 that allows the graphics patches to load, since this is what I needed when I was running CLOVER on my hack here.  It is -no_compat_check that allows me to run Big Sur and Monterey on unsupported MacBookPro6,2.

Also, I assume that -allow-fv has something to do with FileVault.

Edited by deeveedee

1 hour ago, fernando.c.neves said:

After official release of OCLP 0.5.1 (Six days ago) my Real Mac (MacBook Pro 13'' Retina 13'' Early 2015) is working everything.

Patch with OCLP 0.5.1 Official Release.

1image.thumb.png.6421a0ed3b574b0087334d7ec106f913.png

Thanks @fernando.c.neves! I used your screenshots to use OCLP on my latitude e7450. Almost anything is running smoothly. 

Do you use dropbox and/or google drive file stream? Because I'm having issues with those two guys that crash continuously.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, acquarius13 said:

Thanks @fernando.c.neves! I used your screenshots to use OCLP on my latitude e7450. Almost anything is running smoothly. 

Do you use dropbox and/or google drive file stream? Because I'm having issues with those two guys that crash continuously.

Running smooth both.

• Like 1