SSE2 ... please look inside

semthex

129 posts in this topic

Hi

Any chance of getting ICH4 to wrk on a Toshiba sse2 laptop. ?

Hmm

chance

It could my pcmcia driver or firewire driver hanging the 10.4.3

You need to try it out but I have no doubts at the moment why it shoudl fail.

Success: Socket 478 Celeron 2.5ghz (SSE2) on Intel 865G chipset mobo

Followed the guide at:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=35206&st=0

Finder, Safari and various other application crash from time to time, I guess this is what beta means =)

The above method won't give me the new 10.4.8 Rosetta right? Will the new Rosetta work on the beta9 kernel, if so whats the way to enable/copy it to our working system?

btw, has anyone tested Quicktime 7 and iTunes7?

UPDATE: tested quicktime 7 myself, apple trailers and .avi won't play

UPDATE 2: iTunes 7 won't work without the ppc ver on rosetta method.

I think they are SSE2 related problems

post-49088-1165580187_thumb.png

anyone know an alternative dl site other than irc

im affraid this is all new to me.

but im realy wanting to give osx a serious try

@Tadge - you go to IRC to obtain a download link.

Click on Chat link at top of this page. Click on "forum" link on next page. When Java client is ready, click on Connections and double-click on the #kernel channel. Ask for the link.

Any chance of getting ICH4 to wrk on a Toshiba sse2 laptop. ?

It could my pcmcia driver or firewire driver hanging the 10.4.3

@Slip - this thread is about the new experimental 8.8.1 kernel for 10.4.8 which supports SSE2.

It is not a general fix SSE2 thread.

Stuck with diskarb errors. Any ideas why ?(SSE2 AMD)

Tried most things, no luck yet.

I have used Paulicat's guide.

I also have this diskarb error, just leave it for a minute or so and eventully it would give up re-trying and booting will continue.

I've managed to fix this problem by booting into single user mode (Command + S), then type in the following:

/sbin/mount -uw /

/sbin/autodiskmount -va

/usr/sbin/diskutil repairPermissions /

Success with new Kernel here, my rig is up and running.

What I did:

1. OS X Installation from scratch using 10.4.5 Myzar DVD

2. Update with Jas 10.4.8 Beta 9 package

3. Fixed permissions with Diskutil

4. Reboot

Thanks to Semthex and Jas (and Myzar) for this fine release.

Ok with a new 4.7 install and jas sse2 b9 everything seems to work only the new itunes not just like everyone else.

Semptex: Is that something that has to do with a bug in sse2 emulation or is it something else you cant fix?

ps is there anything you want us to test specific?

mathematica 5.2 seems to does it job under rossetta with sse2 emulation. No render errors, i entered the formulas from the maula and compared the results from the manual with my screen and they were the same.

Great, but i have a different opinion in this case. Of course we all appreciate your hard work semthex, you're one of the greatest contributors of this community.

But because of that, and because we all know you're very skilled, my opinion is that you shouldn't do a SSE2 kernel. There are just a few people with SSE2; and those who are with some of this old proccesors, its time to change. Proccesors are cheap. In my humble opinion, your time is really valuable and all the community will be improved if we all keep going with SSE3 kernels only, improving it all the time.

Of course im nobody to tell you what to do; im just saying what i think.

Thanks for everything again and good luck!

PS. I almost forgot my question, this "beta9" version will be "universal" with universal i mean, it will run both sse3 and sse2 proccesors? If so, will the performance be affected for sse3 proccesors or it will be completly transparent?

This release will not concern you if you have an SSE3 processor. the kernel 8.8.1 for SSE3 was released long ago. You are very selfish to say what you just said. luckily for the rest of us not everybody thinks like that.

Great work semtex like always!

Pls no flaming, I will follow my way which was to bring this to eevryone I can and this includes SSE2 as well as SSE3 generation. I know there are quite a lot of not that well situated Students out there and other people jsu can't afford a SSE3 notebook for example. It's like freedom, eevryone should have it.

Now let's get back on topic and smile :D

The final version of the emu will be out soon so the whole OSx86 world can live in harmony with their computers again :(