SSE2 ... please look inside

semthex

129 posts in this topic

You amaze me, Sem! I don´t understand a bit about how to get this thing tested on my insallation but I´m at least waiting patiently and enjoying the development. Hope to see some manuals showing up in the upcoming hours from the rest of you guys :angel:

A donation will be sent as soon as my account shows a positive number :D

I have this extra 10GB fat32 partition my windows harddrive, and i wanted to try the new 8.8.1 kernel on it, so i tried to format the fat32 to a journaled HFS on osx86 disk utility, and it messed up the whole hdd! So i basically spent the whole morning re-installing windows... what an idiot i am.

so my question is, is it possible to test the new kernel on an existing osx86? I'm thinking of:

10.4.7 Jas + Intel combo update 10.4.8 (SSE2) + bkup extensions + new semthex beta9 kernel

will this work?

I have this extra 10GB fat32 partition my windows harddrive, and i wanted to try the new 8.8.1 kernel on it, so i tried to format the fat32 to a journaled HFS on osx86 disk utility, and it messed up the whole hdd! So i basically spent the whole morning re-installing windows... what an idiot i am.

so my question is, is it possible to test the new kernel on an existing osx86? I'm thinking of:

10.4.7 Jas + Intel combo update 10.4.8 (SSE2) + bkup extensions + new semthex beta9 kernel

will this work?

Name the new kernel as mach_kernel.sse2 and place it in the root folder. Then in terminal, type

sudo -s

[Password]

chown root:wheel /mach_kernel.sse2

chmod 644 /mach_kernel.sse2

Reboot, press F8 and then type "mach_kernel.sse2" (without "") to try the new kernel. If not work, just reboot.

Bruce

bubugugu, i tried it out already..... it does not work... you will end up with lots of yellow lines with regards to IOStorage kext not able to load.....

you need 10.4.8 kext TOGETHER with the 10.4.8 sse2 combo.....

bubugugu, i tried it out already..... it does not work... you will end up with lots of yellow lines with regards to IOStorage kext not able to load.....

you need 10.4.8 kext TOGETHER with the 10.4.8 sse2 combo.....

thanks for letting me know, so will it work if the following is installed in order?

1. 10.4.7 Jas DVD

2. copy new kernel as "mach_kernel.sse2"

3. 10.4.8 official combo update (to get the new kexts?)

4. 10.4.8 SSE2 Intel combo update (to get decrypts?)

5. boot with "mach_kernel.sse2" in F8 boot screen.

P.S. downloading SSE2 combo update as I type this =)

EDIT: I found this guide that will help people with a similar situation as I do

http://paulicat.freeflux.net/blog/archive/...rade-guide.html

UPDATE: Followed the guide, stuck at "diskarb not ready" at first boot. Figuring a workaround now

The scriptv3.command script still loads Beta 8.... Which works perfectly on my computer, so I am not complaining. I installed with the 10.4.8 rerelease, and most of my Kext's had dependency problems, so I installed Apples 10.4.8 combo update. ran the script and replaced the AppleSMBIOS.kext, and now I have no dependencies errors.

I hope to hear some more success storys this evening :D

I'm tryin' to run the beta9 in vmware on my SSE2 machine I got at work. My dev machine, lol.

Now I get the 'still waiting for root device' error.

I tried booting with -f flag and also with rd=disk0s1.

Nothing helps...

Does it work for you in vmware semthex?

P.S.: The disk I'm tryin to boot from VMWare is a USB disk.

P.S. 2 : This should be workin by the end of the year, as we'll get brand new PC's next year :P