SSE2 ... please look inside

semthex

129 posts in this topic

Great work Semthex, i see that you even emulate more instructions then the 4 needed for 10.4.8. I counted 11 to be precise. Didi you also planned the last two? As i remember the SSE3 had 13 more instructions the the SSE2.

Amazing that you both did so much work in such a short time. I Hope we see some testresults form the testers soon. But all in good time. Thanks for all the hard work.

That is what i am wondering too

Great work Semthex, i see that you even emulate more instructions then the 4 needed for 10.4.8. I counted 11 to be precise. Didi you also planned the last two? As i remember the SSE3 had 13 more instructions the the SSE2.

Amazing that you both did so much work in such a short time. I Hope we see some testresults form the testers soon. But all in good time. Thanks for all the hard work.

monitor and mwait are hyperthreading functions, which are i.e. not supported on AMD.

Great work semthex ! Congrats to all SSE2 users out there... including myself.

Anxiously awaiting your SSE2 emulation kernel 8.8.1 release....

Will donate if working ok on my AMD Athlon 64 3000+, as promised !

Thanks for your hard work ! :)

I'm another SSE2 user that would be very glad to have SSE3 emulation and a proper 10.4.8 running system.

My ~2 year old laptop died shortly after the MacBook was announced... Damn thing couldn't wait for another couple of months... at that moment I wasn't sure if I wanted to switch to Apple - I had just began experimenting with Mac OS X, and I liked what I saw, being a FreeBSD guy, but buying a just released Apple product that I might end up running FreeBSD on it for about twice the price of the equivalent generic PC didn't seem like a good idea.

Anyway, I bought a $500 HP nx6110 as a stop-gap solution, and after 4 months of never really booting into FreeBSD and instead running exclusively JaS 10.4.6+10.4.7 update without any major problems I now *know* that I've switched to Mac OS X... I'm considering buying a MacBook, but I keep postponing it... first was the wait for the Core 2 Duo ones, now I wait for MacWorld Expo next month, they'll probably announce something new by then and I'll decide to wait for it, you get the idea... the point is I don't need anything faster than this 1.5Ghz Celeron M! I just browse the net, listen to music, fool around with my photos and watch the occasional movie. I'm sure there are a lot of other people like me with SSE2 only computers that see no reason to upgrade, so the SSE3 emulator is very welcome indeed.

The only thing that the MacBook would give me right now is iTunes 7 and proper sleep. I just can't get the damn thing to sleep properly... it sleeps and wakes up, but it seems to be in a power on suspend mode, not trully sleeping. Sometimes, just to {censored} me off, it sleeps properly, with blinking led and everything, but most of the times the fans don't stop and I wake it up again and shut it down. I'm sick and tired of shutting it down and booting it up... works flawlessly with FreeBSD, and presumably with XP. I'd like to give it a go at fixing it, but I wouldn't know where to start from...

--kkonstan

I'm a SSE2 only user and I bless you! I've been jalous to the SSE3 people who got QE/CI on their machines, and now finally i can have that too! Thank you man, really thank you!

I am really happy about that news too, congratulations Semthex !

But I fear my gefore4 go will be able to run QE/CI. You can see on the Titan HCL that GF 3 & 4MX doesn't seem to work. These graphics chips are really old (I can remember the GF4 MX/Go's are based on GF2) and I fear we'll run OpenGL on our computer :tomato:

Quick post from me regarding the beta release.

Single user loads fine and ./maxxus_sse t reports all sucesses

Trying to get to GUI currently at blue screen.

Seems to be a lot of matching fails going on.

Off out to the cinema - will resume testing soon.

I am really happy about that news too, congratulations Semthex !

But I fear my gefore4 go will be able to run QE/CI. You can see on the Titan HCL that GF 3 & 4MX doesn't seem to work. These graphics chips are really old (I can remember the GF4 MX/Go's are based on GF2) and I fear we'll run OpenGL on our computer :angel:

Damn :D maybe my GUI respods a bit quickier (my iMac g3 with os x doesn't supports QE/CI (with ati rage card lol :D) and it can play videos) so i think/hope that it will speed up my hackintosh

what np_ (from MacVidia) told me a month ago :

just hope this will be working for older nv cards. Mine is a GeForce4 Go 440 and MacVidia works flawlessly with it

I was just relieved to see that Titan seems to be able to handle at least 5xxx series, I am just now waiting for SSE2 packages.

on theory should work on older cards too but that depends on apple , ie how much support they really add on drivers