GUIDE: Z77MX-QUO-AOS Migrating from Ozmosis to OpenCore

IronManJFF

235 posts in this topic

I have had a  Z77MX-QUO-AOS since late 2014 but it's been about 4 years since I last used it for anything. I came across this thread by accident so now I'm going to dust it off and get to work on it for Opencore Catalina (and maybe macOS 10.16 x when released). I use Opencore on both a cMP 5,1 and cMP 4,1>5,1.

I've read through all three pages and summarized what I have to do in a 'Pages' document to make sure I do it as per this guide.

A while ago on this thread someone asked:

"Is possible to install from scratch, I mean OC firmware first and then the macOS or is mandatory to have the motherboard info for the config.plist file before to try anything? …" 

Is it possible

...but I didn't see an answer to that. That's what I'd prefer to do as I no longer have a working macOS or OSX installation on my  Z77MX-QUO-AOS.

Hope someone can give me some useful advice/tips

Edited by david97498
mistyped one word

On 6/12/2020 at 9:23 AM, Haydar said:

I also want to report that I’m testing smbios imacpro1,1 and until now I’m pretty fine with it. I know, probably cpu power management is not optimal with it, but videoproc now recognizes hevc capability with dGpu and I can reproduce drm content like prime video in safari using shikigva=80 (with shikigva=128 or nothing I had red screen with audio). Sidecar obviously is not working. Regarding cpu power management e I can see in intel power gadget the right frequences and power consumption going together with usage. If someone can tell me some test I can do in order to test if it working right or no. I’m just using the 2 ssdt file of this guide and the kext in the OC folder.

What about H.264 with iMacPro 1,1 ?

51 minutes ago, david97498 said:

I have had a  Z77MX-QUO-AOS since late 2014 but it's been about 4 years since I last used it for anything. I came across this thread by accident so now I'm going to dust it off and get to work on it for Opencore Catalina (and maybe macOS 10.16 x when released). I use Opencore on both a cMP 5,1 and cMP 4,1>5,1.

I've read through all three pages and summarized what I have to do in a 'Pages' document to make sure I do it as per this guide.

A while ago on this thread someone asked:

"Is possible to install from scratch, I mean OC firmware first and then the macOS or is mandatory to have the motherboard info for the config.plist file before to try anything? …" 

Is it possible

...but I didn't see an answer to that. That's what I'd prefer to do as I no longer have a working macOS or OSX installation on my  Z77MX-QUO-AOS.

Hope someone can give me some useful advice/tips

Totally possible to install from scratch...as long as you make the config.plist (required for macOS install). Just put in valid serial number for iMac13,2  The migration kit was mostly to help people move from Ozmosis transparently so they don't have to re-register licenses or mess with iServices thingy.

OpenCore can be installed on a thumb drive to begin with, then you can move it to the main drive.

Sidenote: initially graphics reports N/A but (at least in my case) it’s just cosmetics in fact both green checks works. In order to display the name of my gpu I add a string in deviceproperties in OC just to rename the gpu name, because videoproc search for gpu name that start with “AMD”1427227197_Schermata2020-06-17alle21_15_26.png.11e05466bd88694b3a82e4bf0968a134.png

Edited by Haydar

The only things that don't work are sidecar, gpu sensors (I think virtualsmc doesn't have them yet) and stop. Every time I stop it instant wake. In your configuration does stop work? and this is a screen of intel power gadget. In your experience, it seems that cpu power management work? Thanks

621609467_Schermata2020-06-17alle21_21_34.thumb.png.a5b3df45e0354b3670d1c9901c37dbdc.png

1 hour ago, IronManJFF said:

Totally possible to install from scratch...as long as you make the config.plist (required for macOS install). Just put in valid serial number for iMac13,2  The migration kit was mostly to help people move from Ozmosis transparently so they don't have to re-register licenses or mess with iServices thingy.

OpenCore can be installed on a thumb drive to begin with, then you can move it to the main drive.

Thanks for getting straight back to me....

On 6/17/2020 at 3:25 PM, Haydar said:

The only things that don't work are sidecar, gpu sensors (I think virtualsmc doesn't have them yet) and stop. Every time I stop it instant wake. In your configuration does stop work? and this is a screen of intel power gadget. In your experience, it seems that cpu power management work? Thanks

621609467_Schermata2020-06-17alle21_21_34.thumb.png.a5b3df45e0354b3670d1c9901c37dbdc.png

If you took it while idle, it is clear that Ivy Bridge PM is not in effect . Here's mine ...

image.png.57557b51d02f848f522627a716ba460f.png

Edited by IronManJFF

Thanks for your reply. I updated intel power gadget, this is the new screenshot. Unlike yours I have core req always higher than 3 ghz, never seen it going under. Is this because of the ssdt-pm not working correctly? I still prefer using imacpro1,1 for the better graphics performance, but if there's a way to optimize cpu too it would be great.

Do you have any tips/trick to suggest? Thanks

Schermata 2020-06-20 alle 11.26.03.png

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 5:30 AM, Haydar said:

Is this because of the ssdt-pm not working correctly?

It is working exaclty as designed. CPU power managment is provided by X86PlatformPlugin.kext, all the SSDT does is enabling it to load.

Once loaded it identifies the BoardID  and loads the corresponding profile from /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/X86PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources

so for iMacPro1,1 it will load Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94.plist instead of Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4.plist ..if you look at both files, you will see that they are quite different ...

On 6/8/2020 at 7:27 PM, IronManJFF said:

In all honesty I haven't deeply tested audio. I was quite happy when I got the 'boot chime' to work. More stuff to do on a raining, boring day.

Green = Internal Speakers in Sound Control Panel , when connecting headphones in the front panel , Internal Speakers will become Headphones (this works for me and tested again just now). I don't have a 'legacy' microphone to test.

In Audio MIDI Setup .. verify the sample rate of the input device .. should look like:

image.png.b32f14eb0b3720997271317ef5836c29.png

Port not working under Windows is weird, you could test by totally disabling OC at startup by holding F12 at startup and selecting your Windows drive to boot from and see if it make any difference.

Hey, got this working.  Didn't know about the Audio setup, but that was pretty helpful.  Seems that for some reason it just wasn't detecting that anything was plugged in, but a couple full power off/on cycles seems to have sorted it out, MacOS and Windows.  Thanks for all your help

Hi all,

I followed IronManJFF's guide for migration to OC 0.5.9 with H40.OC and its worked very well.

IronManJFF has been a legend for our QUO boards ! Thank you !

I have some issues though:

1) I use an Ultrawide, which I notice IronManJFF is also using. The resolution is perfect but System information shows Display VRAM as 22MB. This is causing really poor graphic performance - OS animations stuttering, overall system lag when opening multiple windows. I am using NVIDIA RTX 1660S - for which I know that Web drivers were never written for, nor should I ever expect them. But is there any way to improve current performance?

I am outputting by DP from the card to the monitor.

2) I have the TP LINK TL-WDN4800, which has stopped working due to Apple dropping support from Mojave. 

I am trying to install the correct kexts but I need to disable SIP to modify S/L/E.

I have been trying rtvariables=0x 67 in the config.plist, but it does not work.

Is there any other way?

• Like 1

1) Not really to my knowledge (haven't really searched but I don'expect to find an answer to this)  

2) You are not supposed to put  anything in /S/L/E. Apple has been telling people to stay out of it for years. If you have a kext to install it belongs in /Library/Extensions

Edited by IronManJFF

Haha you're right ! Its Clover talk and its yuck!

Thank you for your response.

As an update - I got my old TL-WDN4800 to work.

The solution was to reinstall Atheros kext in /S/L/E, unfortunately L/E did not work.

I guess the solution to my other issue is to swap my existing card with an AMD card.

How did you install it ..using some tool  ?  .. it should work in /L/E  .. did you rebuild the kernel cache after install in /L/E ?

With Big Sur /System is even more locked down than in Catalina .. have it in a VM right now

Which kext are you using ?

And make a BUILD SIGNATURE

Edited by IronManJFF

7 minutes ago, IronManJFF said:

How did you install it ..using some tool  ?  .. it should work in /L/E  .. did you rebuild the kernel cache after install in /L/E ?

With Big Sur /System is even more locked down than in Catalina .. have it in a VM right now

I had to disable SIP - that was the only way.

Initially I tried to disable SIP attempting to modify the NVRAM csr-active-config values in config.plist, but that did not work.

Then I booted into Recovery and used csrutil to disable SIP.

That alone doesn't help, you need to :

Reboot into Catalina

Lauch Terminal

sudo mount -uw /

Killall Finder 

(or Force quit and Relaunch Finder)

This made the /S/L/E accessible.

After that I just installed the kexts using kext utility - which repaired permissions / updated system cache files.

• 3 weeks later...

Back from vacation ... what do we have here ..

The Kext from High Sierra and the plugin that is already in the High Sierra kext.

While this may work it is not the OpenCore way to do this (especially the squash the OS kext with an old version)

Lilu already has all you need (Lilu is already present in the Migration kit) , all you should need to do is get the Lilu plug-in , put it in /EFI/OC/Kext and add it to your config.plist

Edited by IronManJFF

• 3 weeks later...