Jump to content

GUIDE: Z77MX-QUO-AOS Migrating from Ozmosis to OpenCore


IronManJFF
 Share

242 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

On 10/11/2023 at 4:44 AM, IronManJFF said:

Concerning your USB issues .. what SMBIOS are u using ?. I am using MacPro6,1 on Monterey

 

Can u identify which ports are not detected ?

 

image.png.16c66bc63d9abf43b7cca0d4496f58ca.pngimage.thumb.png.6588565eb83199a8f0fd085fbe665a1a.png

 

Well, they're all working with USB3 device except F_USB1 Port 5&6 and F_USB2 Port 8 ( the upper one on the picture )

and same as previous with USB2 device plus XHC1 port4 and one of the XHC1 port 1 or 2 (seems to be 2 but unsure though, because I cannot check properly the wiring )

My SMBIOS def is iMac 13,2.

Both USBC3.1 ports of my SUNIX UPD2018 works too either USB3 or 2

Edited by alberto21
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see, it could have been the reason, but in my case, I still have some USB3.0 drives who behave as usb2 in F_USB3 and only in one of the F_USB2 and are not recognised at all as USB2.0 in F_USB1. Digging into ACPI table topic it look likes macOS doesn’t deal like it use too with port names. So it needs to be remapped, so in order to,  I’m trying to use this tool:  https://github.com/corpnewt/USBMap. It should be able to map automatically and write a kept to load with OC at boot but right now, on execution of the command related to USBmap, I’m still blocked on a message stating that « XHC1@14 @ _SB.PCI0.XHC1 (Needs Rename) » I can’t figure out yet where to rename it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A Bit Off Topic BUT, I'm Working At Putting OC Into Bios, Like Ozmosis

Would anybody like to give me a hand

Edited by STLVNUB
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A Bit Off Topic BUT, I'm Working At Putting OC Into Bios, Like Ozmosis
Would anybody like to give me a hand
Hi,
In my opinion, since you would have up to 32MB in the Motherboard ROM, I think you could run short of space while trying to fit everything inside the rom. Also as Opencore is evolving, you might have to externalise some kext and else files out of the ROM because of space laking. Since an EFI size is 10 times bigger, may I suggest to just keep a USB stick connected internally with Opencore on it ? I can see some benefits to this, to update it's much easier: no need to reflash the bios and reset all the mobo settings each time again. You will avoid headaches if you mess up while trying to squeeze everything inside the rom binary file. If your approach is to keep the HDD as vanilla as possible, the EFI partition will be some how attached to your motherboard and not to your HDD, so it remains bootable on a legit Mac. What do you think ?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/19/2023 at 6:34 PM, alberto21 said:

I see, it could have been the reason, but in my case, I still have some USB3.0 drives who behave as usb2 in F_USB3 and only in one of the F_USB2 and are not recognised at all as USB2.0 in F_USB1. Digging into ACPI table topic it look likes macOS doesn’t deal like it use too with port names. So it needs to be remapped, so in order to,  I’m trying to use this tool:  https://github.com/corpnewt/USBMap. It should be able to map automatically and write a kept to load with OC at boot but right now, on execution of the command related to USBmap, I’m still blocked on a message stating that « XHC1@14 @ _SB.PCI0.XHC1 (Needs Rename) » I can’t figure out yet where to rename it. 

That would be in the ACPI Section of config.plist 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/29/2023 at 10:15 PM, alberto21 said:

Hi,
In my opinion, since you would have up to 32MB in the Motherboard ROM, I think you could run short of space while trying to fit everything inside the rom. Also as Opencore is evolving, you might have to externalise some kext and else files out of the ROM because of space laking. Since an EFI size is 10 times bigger, may I suggest to just keep a USB stick connected internally with Opencore on it ? I can see some benefits to this, to update it's much easier: no need to reflash the bios and reset all the mobo settings each time again. You will avoid headaches if you mess up while trying to squeeze everything inside the rom binary file. If your approach is to keep the HDD as vanilla as possible, the EFI partition will be some how attached to your motherboard and not to your HDD, so it remains bootable on a legit Mac. What do you think ?

Just A Pipe Dream, which probably won't Eventuate

Thanks For Your Input

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
That would be in the ACPI Section of config.plist 

Thanks for the input.
In the end, the ACPI approach wasn't the best and easiest, the kext approach turned out to be much better and simpler. There is this utility called usbtoolbox which allows to map USB ports under Windows, it creates a custom fit kext describing to MacOS how to detect USB ports. As a result, all my USB ports work. The 2.0 as they suppose to and the 3.0 with their 2.0 companion. It’s a good stuff to respect the 15 port limit to avoid extra tweaks.
Regarding your switch to Monterey, as I’m just scratching the surface of the subject, have you added anything other than the macpro 6.1 definition to SMBIOS ? Would you be willing to share your EFI?
Thanks
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...

I have been using the method of installing macOS set out in this forum with the Z77MXQUOAOS.H4O.OC.ROM and OpenCore on my Z77MX-QUO-AOS for several years. The specification of my set up is in my signature below…

 

I used the packages from IronMan to update through each OpenCore version up to 0.8.8 when that version was posted.

 

Since then I have been using OCAT successfully to update OpenCore after each update was released. I have saved the updated EFI on a micro USB. I have always kept a backup EFI on another USB with a further copy on my iCloud drive.

 

Each update this way has been successful.

 

I have two OS, Mojave and Monterey each on a separate SSD with a bootable backup drive.

 

I updated to using OCAT to OC 0.9.9 and everything on both macOS was working as it should. After a couple of days of testing.

 

However a  few days later it stopped booting successfully.

 

I tried the backup EFI I inserted into the USB port and got the same list of errors with both EFIs. 

 

I also tried reinstalling the Z77MXQUOAOS.H4O.OC.ROM

 

I am having no success and don’t know what to try next…. It’s also been so long since I originally set up OC on my Z77MX-QUO-AOS I am at a loss as to finding a solution. (btw - both the SSDs will boot on my macPro 5,1)

 

Help please.

 

 

 When starting my Z77MX-QUO-AOS I get the following on the screen. 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EFI Shell version 2.31 [4.6531

Current running mode 1.1.2

Device mapping table
fs0    :Hardisk - Alias hd29b65535a1 blk0             PciRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x1f,0x2) /Sata (0x1,0x0) /HD (1,GPT,e20d14d9-93dd-4b95-858c-8955b2073432,0x28,0x64000)
fs1    :HardDisk - Alias hd29c65535a1 blk1        PciRoot (0x0) /Pc1 (0x1f,0x2) /Sata (0x2,0x0) /HD (1,GPT .bcc97e9c-6/37-424b-9ebd-35ed49b6cd04,0x28.0x64000)
fs2     :HardDisk - Alias hd29e65535a1 bIk2        PciRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x1f,0x2) /Sata (0x4,0x0) /HD (1,GPT,f13bf129-0Г58-4bBF-902a-bb2351e3a9c0,0x28.0x64000)
fs3    :Removable HardDisk - Alias hd15b0e0b blk3    PciRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x1a,0x0) /USB (0x1,0x0) /USB (0x4,0x0) /HD (1,GPT,7fed4dc7-1ccd-4c37-8df3-b3a8fab06808,0x28,0x64000)
blk0    :HardDisk - Alias hd29b65535a1 fs0            PciRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x1f,0x2) /Sata (0x1,0x0) /HD (1, GPT ,e20₫1419-93đđ-4b95-858c-895562073432.0x28.0x64000)
blk1    :HardDisk - Alias hd29c65535a1 fs1            PciRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x1f,0x2) /Sata (0x2,0x0) /HD (1,GPT, bcc97e9c-6f37-424b-9ebd-35ed49b6cd04,0x28,0x64000)
blk2    :HardDisk - Alias hd29e65535a1 fs2            PciRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x1f,0x2) /Sata (0x4,0x0) /HD (1,GPT, f13bf129-0f58-4b8F-902a-bb2351e3a9c0,0x28,0x64000)
blk3     :Removable HardDisk - Alias hd15b0e0b fs3    Pc iRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x1a,0x0) /USB (0x1,0x0) /USB (0x4,0x®) /HD (1,GPT,7fed4dc7-1ccd-4c37-8df3-b3a8fab06808,0x28,0x64000)
blk4     :HardDisk - Alas (null)                    PciRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x1f,0x2) /Sata (0x1,0x0) /HD (2,GPT,487a20e2-db54-41f7-a668-7d5630430262,0x64028,0×746a2160)
blk5     :HardDisk - Alias (null)                    PciRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x1f,0x2) /Sata (0x2,0x0) /HD (2,GPT ,4а3/3659-5367-4ce4-b630-b8c84f603eB,0x64028.0x3a321fe0)
blk6     :HardDisk - Alias (null)                    PciRoot (0x0) /Pc1 (0x1f,0x2) /Sata (0x4,0x0) /HD (2,GPT, fdea8b19-7974-449c-b866-422a6bee1355,0x64028,0x3a321fe0)
blk7     :BlockDeuice - Alias (null)                    PciRoot (0x0) /Pc1 (0x1f,0x2) /Sata (0x1,0x0)
blkB    :BlockDeuice - Alias (nul1)                    PciRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x1f,0x2) /Sata (0x2,0x0)
blk9    :BlockDevice - Alias (null)                         PciRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x1f,0x2) /Sata (0x2,0x0)
blkA    :Removable HardDisk - Alias (null)                     PciRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x1a,0x0) /USB (0x1,0x0) /USB (0x3,0x0) /HD (2,GPT ,c65aafd3-9ee7-433d-aad6-3d11c0695814,0x64028,0xee5bfb0
blkB    :Removable BlockDevice - Alias (null).               PciRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x1a,0x0) /USB (0x1,0x0) /USB (0x3,0x0) 
 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by david97498
text size
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/27/2024 at 2:58 PM, david97498 said:

I have been using the method of installing macOS set out in this forum with the Z77MXQUOAOS.H4O.OC.ROM and OpenCore on my Z77MX-QUO-AOS for several years. The specification of my setup is in my signature below…

 

I used the packages from IronMan to update through each OpenCore version up to 0.8.8 when that version was posted.

 

Since then I have been using OCAT successfully to update OpenCore after each update was released. I have saved the updated EFI on a micro USB. I have always kept a backup EFI on another USB with a further copy on my iCloud drive.

 

Each update this way has been successful.

 

I have two OS, Mojave and Monterey each on a separate SSD with a bootable backup drive.

 

I updated to using OCAT to OC 0.9.9 and everything on both macOS was working as it should. After a couple of days of testing.

 

However a  few days later it stopped booting successfully.

 

I tried the backup EFI I inserted into the USB port and got the same list of errors with both EFIs. 

 

I also tried reinstalling the Z77MXQUOAOS.H4O.OC.ROM

 

I am having no success and don’t know what to try next…. It’s also been so long since I originally set up OC on my Z77MX-QUO-AOS I am at a loss as to finding a solution. (btw - both the SSDs will boot on my macPro 5,1)

 

Help please.

 

 

 When starting my Z77MX-QUO-AOS I get the following on the screen. 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EFI Shell version 2.31 [4.6531

Current running mode 1.1.2

Device mapping table
fs0    :Hardisk - Alias hd29b65535a1 blk0             PciRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x1f,0x2) /Sata (0x1,0x0) /HD (1,GPT,e20d14d9-93dd-4b95-858c-8955b2073432,0x28,0x64000)
fs1    :HardDisk - Alias hd29c65535a1 blk1        PciRoot (0x0) /Pc1 (0x1f,0x2) /Sata (0x2,0x0) /HD (1,GPT .bcc97e9c-6/37-424b-9ebd-35ed49b6cd04,0x28.0x64000)
fs2     :HardDisk - Alias hd29e65535a1 bIk2        PciRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x1f,0x2) /Sata (0x4,0x0) /HD (1,GPT,f13bf129-0Г58-4bBF-902a-bb2351e3a9c0,0x28.0x64000)
fs3    :Removable HardDisk - Alias hd15b0e0b blk3    PciRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x1a,0x0) /USB (0x1,0x0) /USB (0x4,0x0) /HD (1,GPT,7fed4dc7-1ccd-4c37-8df3-b3a8fab06808,0x28,0x64000)
blk0    :HardDisk - Alias hd29b65535a1 fs0            PciRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x1f,0x2) /Sata (0x1,0x0) /HD (1, GPT ,e20₫1419-93đđ-4b95-858c-895562073432.0x28.0x64000)
blk1    :HardDisk - Alias hd29c65535a1 fs1            PciRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x1f,0x2) /Sata (0x2,0x0) /HD (1,GPT, bcc97e9c-6f37-424b-9ebd-35ed49b6cd04,0x28,0x64000)
blk2    :HardDisk - Alias hd29e65535a1 fs2            PciRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x1f,0x2) /Sata (0x4,0x0) /HD (1,GPT, f13bf129-0f58-4b8F-902a-bb2351e3a9c0,0x28,0x64000)
blk3     :Removable HardDisk - Alias hd15b0e0b fs3    Pc iRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x1a,0x0) /USB (0x1,0x0) /USB (0x4,0x®) /HD (1,GPT,7fed4dc7-1ccd-4c37-8df3-b3a8fab06808,0x28,0x64000)
blk4     :HardDisk - Alas (null)                    PciRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x1f,0x2) /Sata (0x1,0x0) /HD (2,GPT,487a20e2-db54-41f7-a668-7d5630430262,0x64028,0×746a2160)
blk5     :HardDisk - Alias (null)                    PciRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x1f,0x2) /Sata (0x2,0x0) /HD (2,GPT ,4а3/3659-5367-4ce4-b630-b8c84f603eB,0x64028.0x3a321fe0)
blk6     :HardDisk - Alias (null)                    PciRoot (0x0) /Pc1 (0x1f,0x2) /Sata (0x4,0x0) /HD (2,GPT, fdea8b19-7974-449c-b866-422a6bee1355,0x64028,0x3a321fe0)
blk7     :BlockDeuice - Alias (null)                    PciRoot (0x0) /Pc1 (0x1f,0x2) /Sata (0x1,0x0)
blkB    :BlockDeuice - Alias (nul1)                    PciRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x1f,0x2) /Sata (0x2,0x0)
blk9    :BlockDevice - Alias (null)                         PciRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x1f,0x2) /Sata (0x2,0x0)
blkA    :Removable HardDisk - Alias (null)                     PciRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x1a,0x0) /USB (0x1,0x0) /USB (0x3,0x0) /HD (2,GPT ,c65aafd3-9ee7-433d-aad6-3d11c0695814,0x64028,0xee5bfb0
blkB    :Removable BlockDevice - Alias (null).               PciRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x1a,0x0) /USB (0x1,0x0) /USB (0x3,0x0) 
 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

After not getting any response (so far) This morning I tried rebuilding the EFI from scratch using Ironman's 0.8.8 migration kit and filling the motherboard data from an earlier config.plist.

 

I get exactly the same list of errors. 

 

I wonder if the bios settings have somehow gotten screwed up?  I haven't made any manual changes. I would normally never touch them. Can someone tell me what the optimum settings should be?

 

Thanks...

Edited by david97498
corrected a mistype
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, david97498 said:

 

After not getting any response (so far) This morning I tried rebuilding the EFI from scratch using Ironman's 0.8.8 migration kit and filling the motherboard data from an earlier config.plist.

 

I get exactly the same list of errors. 

 

I wonder if the bios settings have somehow gotten screwed up?  I haven't made any manual changes. I would normally never touch them. Can someone tell me what the optimum settings should be?

 

Thanks...

Reboot, F12 -> and show us the screenshot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, droples said:

Reboot, F12 -> and show us the screenshot.

I get the same screens again when pressing F12

 

I have fixed the problem & have just removed the two screenshots - they were each 4Gb.

 

I have my boot screen back with OC working again. Something???  (not me because I made no manual changes to them) had altered the bio settings.    

 

Bios Settings-> Bios Features->Boot Option Priorities ->  was erroneously set to Built-in EFI Shell

 

I set it as in the image below:

 

image.thumb.jpeg.3617a2075d3161034828cda3530531a1.jpeg

 

Edited by david97498
Added Screenshots - Removed the screenshots
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, david97498 said:

I get the same screens again when pressing F12

 

I have fixed the problem & have just removed the two screenshots - they were each 4Gb.

 

I have my boot screen back with OC working again. Something???  (not me because I made no manual changes to them) had altered the bio settings.    

 

Bios Settings-> Bios Features->Boot Option Priorities ->  was erroneously set to Built-in EFI Shell

 

I set it as in the image below:

 

image.thumb.jpeg.3617a2075d3161034828cda3530531a1.jpeg

 

When using your motherboard, if you press the F12 key at the beginning of the boot, you should see something like the following screen and the boot order would be visible on it.

F12.jpg.c2c31fd001b748254a2f148c9b307574.jpg

 

Its size is clearly less than 4GB, but the ways of God are not confessed. Our hands are not for boredom.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/29/2024 at 9:03 PM, droples said:

When using your motherboard, if you press the F12 key at the beginning of the boot, you should see something like the following screen and the boot order would be visible on it.

 

Its size is clearly less than 4GB, but the ways of God are not confessed. Our hands are not for boredom.

 

 I mistyped -  I should have said '4 Mb' - I removed them to slightly lessen the load on insanely mac's servers since the images were no longer relevant.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...