GUIDE: Z77MX-QUO-AOS Migrating from Ozmosis to OpenCore

IronManJFF

235 posts in this topic

On 10/11/2023 at 4:44 AM, IronManJFF said:

Concerning your USB issues .. what SMBIOS are u using ?. I am using MacPro6,1 on Monterey

Can u identify which ports are not detected ?

image.png.16c66bc63d9abf43b7cca0d4496f58ca.pngimage.thumb.png.6588565eb83199a8f0fd085fbe665a1a.png

Well, they're all working with USB3 device except F_USB1 Port 5&6 and F_USB2 Port 8 ( the upper one on the picture )

and same as previous with USB2 device plus XHC1 port4 and one of the XHC1 port 1 or 2 (seems to be 2 but unsure though, because I cannot check properly the wiring )

My SMBIOS def is iMac 13,2.

Both USBC3.1 ports of my SUNIX UPD2018 works too either USB3 or 2

Edited by alberto21

I see, it could have been the reason, but in my case, I still have some USB3.0 drives who behave as usb2 in F_USB3 and only in one of the F_USB2 and are not recognised at all as USB2.0 in F_USB1. Digging into ACPI table topic it look likes macOS doesn’t deal like it use too with port names. So it needs to be remapped, so in order to,  I’m trying to use this tool:  https://github.com/corpnewt/USBMap. It should be able to map automatically and write a kept to load with OC at boot but right now, on execution of the command related to USBmap, I’m still blocked on a message stating that « XHC1@14 @ _SB.PCI0.XHC1 (Needs Rename) » I can’t figure out yet where to rename it. 

A Bit Off Topic BUT, I'm Working At Putting OC Into Bios, Like Ozmosis

Would anybody like to give me a hand

Edited by STLVNUB

A Bit Off Topic BUT, I'm Working At Putting OC Into Bios, Like Ozmosis
Would anybody like to give me a hand
Hi,
In my opinion, since you would have up to 32MB in the Motherboard ROM, I think you could run short of space while trying to fit everything inside the rom. Also as Opencore is evolving, you might have to externalise some kext and else files out of the ROM because of space laking. Since an EFI size is 10 times bigger, may I suggest to just keep a USB stick connected internally with Opencore on it ? I can see some benefits to this, to update it's much easier: no need to reflash the bios and reset all the mobo settings each time again. You will avoid headaches if you mess up while trying to squeeze everything inside the rom binary file. If your approach is to keep the HDD as vanilla as possible, the EFI partition will be some how attached to your motherboard and not to your HDD, so it remains bootable on a legit Mac. What do you think ?

On 10/19/2023 at 6:34 PM, alberto21 said:

I see, it could have been the reason, but in my case, I still have some USB3.0 drives who behave as usb2 in F_USB3 and only in one of the F_USB2 and are not recognised at all as USB2.0 in F_USB1. Digging into ACPI table topic it look likes macOS doesn’t deal like it use too with port names. So it needs to be remapped, so in order to,  I’m trying to use this tool:  https://github.com/corpnewt/USBMap. It should be able to map automatically and write a kept to load with OC at boot but right now, on execution of the command related to USBmap, I’m still blocked on a message stating that « XHC1@14 @ _SB.PCI0.XHC1 (Needs Rename) » I can’t figure out yet where to rename it. 

That would be in the ACPI Section of config.plist 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2023 at 10:15 PM, alberto21 said:

Hi,
In my opinion, since you would have up to 32MB in the Motherboard ROM, I think you could run short of space while trying to fit everything inside the rom. Also as Opencore is evolving, you might have to externalise some kext and else files out of the ROM because of space laking. Since an EFI size is 10 times bigger, may I suggest to just keep a USB stick connected internally with Opencore on it ? I can see some benefits to this, to update it's much easier: no need to reflash the bios and reset all the mobo settings each time again. You will avoid headaches if you mess up while trying to squeeze everything inside the rom binary file. If your approach is to keep the HDD as vanilla as possible, the EFI partition will be some how attached to your motherboard and not to your HDD, so it remains bootable on a legit Mac. What do you think ?

Just A Pipe Dream, which probably won't Eventuate

Thanks For Your Input

• 2 weeks later...
That would be in the ACPI Section of config.plist 

Thanks for the input.
In the end, the ACPI approach wasn't the best and easiest, the kext approach turned out to be much better and simpler. There is this utility called usbtoolbox which allows to map USB ports under Windows, it creates a custom fit kext describing to MacOS how to detect USB ports. As a result, all my USB ports work. The 2.0 as they suppose to and the 3.0 with their 2.0 companion. It’s a good stuff to respect the 15 port limit to avoid extra tweaks.
Regarding your switch to Monterey, as I’m just scratching the surface of the subject, have you added anything other than the macpro 6.1 definition to SMBIOS ? Would you be willing to share your EFI?
Thanks