GUIDE: Z77MX-QUO-AOS Migrating from Ozmosis to OpenCore

IronManJFF

235 posts in this topic

Thank you so much for this amazing help you're providing us with @IronManJFF , really valuable.

You helped me to get the quo z77 back to its main aim (it has been used as gaming win pc by my bro for few years as i relocated myself to thailand).

So now I'm the happy owner of a Catalina / Windows 10 quo z77 !

My build :
i7 3770k (x41 on each core) / Corsair VENGEANCE 16GB-(2-x-8GB)-DDR3-DRAM-1600MHz-C9-Memory / Gigabyte RX 5600 XT WindForce OC 6Gb / Samsung EVO 860 1tb (SATA, Catalina + EFI OC 0.6.3) / WD_BLACK™ SN750 SE NVMe™ SSD (UGreen pcie x16 adapter to m2, Windows 10)

It works greats (amazing change from intel HD4000 to the RX 5600XT) and I'm really happy that adding the NvmExpressDxe.efi to driver (and amending the efi plist driver list) allowed me to boot the windows nvme drive internally and no more through a usb adapter same I was doing at first.

The thing is, every time i try to upgrade the OpenCore with your package, the computer just restart after showing the apple logo (1-2 sec after OC step).
I tried to update the EFI (and learnt how to correct AdviseWindows replaced by AdviseFeatures), and even with a nvram reset, always unable to boot the macos. Strange as from this updated OC I'm able to boot the macos usb installer without issue...
Any clue on how to solve this ?

EDIT : Could you also please confirm that, even if you named your updated rom H4O.OC, it is still displaying H20 in bios/UEFI ?

Edited by ThAnEb

On 7/14/2022 at 3:24 AM, ThAnEb said:

Any clue on how to solve this ?

Outdated OpenRuntime.efi, make sure BOOTx64.efi, OpenCore.efi and OpenRuntime are all from the same exact build. Anything mismatched will break booting

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/troubleshooting/troubleshooting.html#table-of-contents

EDIT : Could you also please confirm that, even if you named your updated rom H4O.OC, it is still displaying H20 in bios/UEFI ?

Indeed it does

Edited by IronManJFF

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/21/2022 at 3:25 AM, IronManJFF said:

3 weeks later...

Really sorry for being so late, here's the update,

unable to update to 0.8.2 or 0.8.3 and get my already installed catalina to boot, -v slow motion didn't give any good clue ( as discussed by pm), -x still same issue (reboot before even getting the prompt of a -s).

bored, but let's go ahead, i deleted the windows on the WD_Black_750_SE nvme (via pcie adapter), updated a usb efi key to 0.8.3 with iMac 15,1 details and installed Big Sur on the nvme drive, I'm writing from it now.

Could be an issue with the samsung 860 EVO sata drive or the trim force enabled ? anyway, I am now (since 2 hours) on Big Sur 11.7, OC 0.8.3 and everything seems to run smoothly !

Thank for all IronManJFF, you're a rocker ;)

EDIT : ahahahah why did I say eveything is working well 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 I have a usb issue, usb 3.0 ports at the back of the motherboard aren't working, I will have a look at it, I may need to map usb ports, boring 😅

Edited by ThAnEb

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2022 at 7:46 PM, IronManJFF said:

Migration Kit updated for OpenCore 0.8.6

(Now ready for FileVault too)

Thanks for the update @IronManJFF you've given me something to do over the weekend, plus, I get to install my new graphics card, which is definitely not gonna work first try XD

Incoming XFX RX 6900 XT, I'll keep you guys posted!

Edited by Casm101

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys!

I'm having a little issue with my system where I can't for the life of me get Docker to start, you can read more about the situation here.

And it has come to the point where I'm thinking its gotta be the MacOS installation, so rather than just reinstalling, I'm gonna upgrade to Monterey (unless anyone doesn't recommend it) as Ventura drops support for IvyBridge due to the AVX2 requirement for CPU.

But I can seem to get installer to boot, I'm using the exact same EFI folder I've had BigSur with an SMBIOS of iMac19,2.

Any tips or hints?

13 hours ago, Casm101 said:

Hi guys!

I'm having a little issue with my system where I can't for the life of me get Docker to start, you can read more about the situation here.

And it has come to the point where I'm thinking its gotta be the MacOS installation, so rather than just reinstalling, I'm gonna upgrade to Monterey (unless anyone doesn't recommend it) as Ventura drops support for IvyBridge due to the AVX2 requirement for CPU.

But I can seem to get installer to boot, I'm using the exact same EFI folder I've had BigSur with an SMBIOS of iMac19,2.

Any tips or hints?

Okay scratch that, now for some magical reason I can boot the installer and start the installation with no problem, what I do get after the first reboot from the installer is the following:

A required firmware update could not be installed.

DB0495F6-0FF0-4639-BDBE-F127A62F3099_1_102_o.thumb.jpeg.fcf508a5b38c1cb0e403c4bac91441d3.jpeg

Any clue on how to bypass this?

Thanks in advanced!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2022 at 8:03 PM, Casm101 said:

Okay scratch that, now for some magical reason I can boot the installer and start the installation with no problem, what I do get after the first reboot from the installer is the following:

A required firmware update could not be installed.

What version of OpenCore ?

Do you have a Wifi-Bluetooth card ?

To upgrade to Monterey, you should change your SMBIOS Definition to MacPro6,1 ( and generate a new serial ) here is why ...

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config.plist/ivy-bridge.html#platforminfo

You can also check with this utility what EFI firmware is associated to your <Hack> 

image.png.8e292f18caf2f1504720ba5f1f707681.png

Edited by IronManJFF

9 hours ago, IronManJFF said:

What version of OpenCore ?

I was using 0.8.6.

Do you have a Wifi-Bluetooth card ?

I have a Bluetooth USB adapter.

To upgrade to Monterey, you should change your SMBIOS Definition to MacPro6,1 ( and generate a new serial ) here is why ...

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config.plist/ivy-bridge.html#platforminfo

II had tried different versions for my SMBIOS, mainly the ones you guys have been using, and I followed the Dortania guide to see what they recommend. So I definetly tried the MacPro6,1 but as soon as I did that, I couln't even get to the installer, I get the following trying to run OpenCore:

F72F110C-FA09-4606-9AC0-2F491FE57D8D_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.d666baecc114d75eb216a53c5fb0e25d.jpeg

And after that, I get the message: Halting on critical error, on a fresh EFI build from the repo.

PD: Merry Christmas to all and happy holidays!!

I am a complete noob ... I made sure the config_template.plist was following each version of OpenCore and assumed no changes would be be to the PlatformInfo keys ... WRONG !

PlatformInfo.plist has been corrected and 0.8.7 has been re-released.

My apologies to everyone that has been having issues with the Migration Kit.

Edited by IronManJFF
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I just noticed that the OSX86.org wiki page is gone ...

So int the interest of posterity I retreived it from the Web Archive ( https://web.archive.org/web/20220529043445/http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Z77MX-QUO-AOS ) and posted it on my Github space at https://github.com/Kazbah/Z77MX-QUO-AOS-Wiki

Nothing new atm .. but so this is not lost

Edited by IronManJFF
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Long time no see, I dropped off the QUO interest, because my RX580 was "confiscated" by the warranty department in 2021. As I sent it in for just a fan that didn't work, but a GPU that did, they chose to refund it due to the GPU crisis: it was cheaper to give me my money back than try and find a new one, I guess. So to cut a long story short, I got a new card last month. Glad to see there are still people active with this mobo. @IronManJFF It looks like your GitHub backup isn't available, is that on purpose?

I was also wondering if you've had a chance to work with the latest version of OC? I'm thinking about going from Catalina to BigSur, and rn I've got some issues with USB ports not detected. Regarding the last point would some one can point to some kind of quick fix or would you know some literature around this issue so I could dig further ?

Thanks.

Edited by alberto21