Serious hardware damage and other stuff

semthex

26 posts in this topic

I encountred some serious hardware damage last weekend. The SSE3 capable INTEL machine of mine, which I used for OSx86 development, died and had to get mainboard, cpu and some other parts to be replaced. This was caused by the sudden death of a faulty powers supply. The supply's sudden death, caused major damage to the whoel system.

I just spended a real bunch of $$$ on new parts to get this fixed. The replacement is now back up and running and I am really happy no harddrive had been damaged. The work on SSE2 will now continue, which has been stalled during this loose and I hope I can present you some result very soon.

Thanks to all donators, without your support, this has not been possible.

The hibernate problem has been already adressed in some test rund with the new system yesterday and seems close to a final soulution now. If you are intrested, join the tests and be one of the first running full functional kernel on your computer.

In the same move with SSE2 to be finished, and minor issues to be resolved, I will release the sources for all the stuff accorings APSL (pre Nov. 8th) if it's done. Since sources have very grown up in the past weeks and there is no much space for fixing anymore. After this release I will continue work for the community with some other, already planned, kernel based projects already planned and keep on doing the support for 10.4.8.

I hope you enjoy it so far, thanks to this great community! :D

Recent FAQ about 10.4.8 Kernel Development: http://semthex.freeflux.net/nebukadnezar-faq/

More infromation: http://semthex.freeflux.net

Next step will be SSE2, than core/hibernate and hopefully all of you will be statisfied and live in harmony with their install ;)

I did a lot of promising work on it yesterday, and wil see what's about it tonight :angel:

Glad to see you back Semthex we missed you.

Its a pity the hardware blew, you saved a few bucks on some cheap psu but in the end it costed you a mobo and a cpu :huh:

Ok I guesed it was a cheap psu :D

I hope you mentally managed it, i guessed you prefferrably used that money for that mac computer. maybe instead go for a minimac those are cheaper and not that bad (with 1gb mem).

AMD 64bit is a thing which might be adressed in future but will need extensiv changes since the way kernel use 64Bit it's impossible to do so on AMD. I will put it on the list but not for near future. SSE2 and some more or less "smaller" issues will be adressed first.

SSE2 is rollin' in big moves down the road ;)

This was caused by the sudden death of a faulty powers supply.

Sorry to hear about this, but I am glad you had community donated funds to buy replacement parts.

Can you tell us what kind of PSU caused this disaster? Or was it some generic PSU that came with a PC?

This was caused by a generic cheap grey box taiwan PSU, I just got all PSU in all of my computer replaced to avoid {censored} like that in the future. This might be a warning to all the ppl who are abou tto use such a thing with their expensiv hw... :(

I never encountred any problem before but now it had hit me hard.

Semthex, I wanted you to know that I've had a very similar experience a few months before. My computer went dead for a while - about two days. Whatever I tried couldn't bring up the machine. I tried resetting the parametric ram, swapping the RAM slots, unmounting all the PCI devices, etc. Nothing happened for about two days. No monitor output, no sound from the machine, simply plain silence. Eventually I went and bought a new mobo, and when I came home, I decided to give my dead looking mobo one more try. BTW, the battery of the mobo stayed unmounted for a night. I inserted the battery, changed the parametric ram's jumper settings to normal and switched on the machine, voila, it was working again. I had to sell the new mobo without ever using it :( I changed the PSU, strange enough, I never even had a BSOD since then.

Maybe that's your case, too. Just wanted to share. :pirate2:

Some PSU manufacturers are really irresponsible. Hope it doesn't happen again.