macOS Mojave - It's out!

Allan
185 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Bibhudatt said:

Did You Get Full Acceleration On MacOS Mojave ? I Am Using A GT610 But Still Not Able To Get Full Acceleration. Can You Tell Me The Way By Which I Successfully Attain Full Acceleration In My Hackintosh.

Take a look my repo for reference only. "GeForce-GF100-Series.kext" credited to @nmano

Well, duno where to post this (It's about WEG, but related to Mojave as well.. So, I don't think is #OffTopic here).

I'm using Whatevergreen v1.2.3 on my laptop with Single Nvidia GT 520M  (no Intel HD) under Mojave, anyway.. I found this on WEG project page:

-wegnoegpu to disable external GPU (or add disable-external-gpu property to IGPU)

I tried this boot-arg, interestingly... my mach was unable to reach the GUI, nor even LoginUI or Desktop. So, does this mean that Mojave assumed my GT 520M as "eGPU"..???

Edited by Badruzeus
  • Like 2

I am sorry but I have seen no real advantage with any of the updates since I don`t know Mountain Lion maybe. To me all the new stuff is cosmetic and good old computers are getting useless cause sometimes stuff ends upp you cannot even use them on the internet any longer.

I use my computers for music, video, paying the bills and just general internetsurfing like watch youtube videos etc etc. I still have some older computers that still can handle 20+ channels of audio four monitors etc etc but cannot access the internet cause to make them run newer OSes I have to stop using some programs I need. 

This OS update hysterica is just for making more money not making things better for real.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nubira said:

I am sorry but I have seen no real advantage with any of the updates since I don`t know Mountain Lion maybe. To me all the new stuff is cosmetic and good old computers are getting useless cause sometimes stuff ends upp you cannot even use them on the internet any longer.

I use my computers for music, video, paying the bills and just general internetsurfing like watch youtube videos etc etc. I still have some older computers that still can handle 20+ channels of audio four monitors etc etc but cannot access the internet cause to make them run newer OSes I have to stop using some programs I need. 

This OS update hysterica is just for making more money not making things better for real.

Glad to know, but we're pretty sure your issue should to be addressed to Apple instead of us.

Thanks and have a nice day. :) 

5 hours ago, Nubira said:

It's been my experience that innovation is VERY incremental and that huge changes are few and far between.  Every update seems to provide only a few actual improvements and a lot of hype that appears to be designed to get people to install the new OS.  However, if you look at things from a long view, the amount of innovation is quite impressive.  My first hack installation was OS Leopard.  Mojave is so much more stable and reliable.  It seems to use less resources for higher performance and its compatibility with other portable devices is something Leopard never even attempted.  

If it was your choice to only update your OS once every 2-3 versions, you probably wouldn't miss much.   But if you choose to stick with a 4-5 year old OS, you will probably miss out on some significant improvements.  My reason for installing every OS update, including beta versions, is to learn how to make macOS work with PC computers and how to keep it working with PC computers.  The innovations in the OSx86 community have also been very impressive, particularly the development of Clover, VirtualSMC and Lilu + plugins.  I think these innovations came about as the result of ongoing changes in macOS.  Cheers.

Edited by mnfesq
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, mnfesq said:

It's been my experience that innovation is VERY incremental and that huge changes are few and far between.  Every update seems to provide only a few actual improvements and a lot of hype that appears to be designed to get people to install the new OS.  However, if you look at things from a long view, the amount of innovation is quite impressive.  My first hack installation was OS Leopard.  Mojave is so much more stable and reliable.  It seems to use less resources for higher performance and its compatibility with other portable devices is something Leopard never even attempted.  

If it was your choice to only update your OS once every 2-3 versions, you probably wouldn't miss much.   But if you choose to stick with a 4-5 year old OS, you will probably miss out on some significant improvements.  My reason for installing every OS update, including beta versions, is to learn how to make macOS work with PC computers and how to keep it working with PC computers.  The innovations in the OSx86 community have also been very impressive, particularly the development of Clover, VirtualSMC and Lilu + plugins.  I think these innovations came about as the result of ongoing changes in macOS.  Cheers.

true true

• Like 1

10.14 has such a nice improved RAM compression! I see much higher compression ratio (1:3 instead of 1:2 from 10.9 - 10.13). You guys noticed this as well?

Complete rest of the web doesn't seem to be aware as of now…

Sadly 10.14 does not support .qtz screen savers anymore, which I have plenty of.

The crashes and third-party app crashes, I won't talk about them. They might vanish with point updates.

In my opinion 10.14s home is mobile world. Increased efficiency in RAM department -> longer battery runtimes.

On the desktop, as of now, 2018, you lose some functionality (as some apps really break irreparably), other than dark mode and machine learning in Xcode.

I also noticed changes with Apple ARC in Xcode 10 and 10.14, it seems to be more aggressively putting things in a "nap" state.

Have to dig deeper though.

I'll come back into 10.14 later, maybe next year or the year after that. I still remember the horrors of updating to 10.7 too early :hysterical:

4 hours ago, mnfesq said:

its compatibility with other portable devices is something Leopard never even attempted.  

What do you mean? 10.14 still lacks MTP support for Android, so that you can connect an Android device via USB with your computer and access all files without any additional drivers. There is _2 billion_ Android devices out there. Every single other OS out there has MTP support, even the PowerMac PPC alternative operating systems like Ubuntu.

Whereas old Mac OS X, including Leopard, synced iTunes with my no-name USB MP3 players with official Apple approved extensions and my Palm Pre with iTunes even without any additional extensions.

So I'm wondering what you are talking about? I can't get behind your statement at all. Not even in the slightest.

8 hours ago, Morpheus NS said:

I am looking for a cheap alternative to my GT 210 which is not supported on Mojave... are GT710/720 good options? Do they work oob? Is there something better in the same price range?

I do not know if this could help, but my G210 works very well - Maybe your GT210 will work fine as well.  ;)

nVidia non-Metal GPU's on Mojave (crazybirdy)

I know I can make GT 210 work, but I would prefer not using the old kexts or patches of any kind. Especially since I can get 710/720 or similar used (or even new) card for as little as 25€...

Edited by Morpheus NS
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, illdev said:

What do you mean? 10.14 still lacks MTP support for Android, so that you can connect an Android device via USB with your computer and access all files without any additional drivers. There is _2 billion_ Android devices out there. Every single other OS out there has MTP support, even the PowerMac PPC alternative operating systems like Ubuntu.

Whereas old Mac OS X, including Leopard, synced iTunes with my no-name USB MP3 players with official Apple approved extensions and my Palm Pre with iTunes even without any additional extensions.

So I'm wondering what you are talking about? I can't get behind your statement at all. Not even in the slightest.

I understand your desire to have macOS provide functionality that it chooses not to provide for economic reasons.  Apple has always wanted its software used with its hardware.  That's just the way it is.  I would like to be able to use Handoff to a Windows laptop so that I can use messages on my PC to text to iPhone users.  I accept that Apple is not going to help me with that. Frankly, I'm surprised it has a Windows app to use iCloud from a PC.  I have been an Apple beta tester of iCloud for Windows for several years.

If you want MTP functionality, it doesn't appear too difficult to obtain in macOS.  Check out this link:

http://techapple.net/2015/12/transfer-files-mac-os-x-android-mtp-usb-mode/

Edited by mnfesq
  • Like 1

Does anyone know how to hide an update in Mojave?  On my Zotac ID83, which is set up as a MacMini, I am getting an update notice for a Thunderbolt Firmware Update which repeatedly fails to install or go away.

1 hour ago, mnfesq said:

Does anyone know how to hide an update in Mojave?  On my Zotac ID83, which is set up as a MacMini, I am getting an update notice for a Thunderbolt Firmware Update which repeatedly fails to install or go away.

Try this command

softwareupdate --ignore ThunderboltFirmwareUpdate1.2

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have a weird problem but I don't know what causes this; I thought its maybe graphics issue. All graphics and accelerations working. This thing happening on Safari. Not playing video or something, sometimes the first start of the Safari sometimes in surfing on the internet. Not all the time but its happening time to time. Screen turns blue suddenly or green. I am making force restart from the case. What do you think?

1988801458_IMG_0431copy.jpg.07e85ee7bad32c3a9a9ce9db21505e31.jpg

Edited by telepati
  • Sad 1

hi...

I do have this rx560..with high Sierra..(z370) and a rx460 with mojave (z97)....and never saw that...and that way ..("Not playing video or something, sometimes the first start of the Safari sometimes in surfing on the internet. Not all the time but its happening time to time") , could you change the video cable you are using..? or even the monitor...

c.frio

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Allan said:

Yep, the blue screen of death also exists in macOS...:P

You have your iGPU enabled too?

Yes IGPU was enabled for QuickLook and Preview but I disabled and now using NoVPAJpeg.kext. I will test more.

As I said before not blue all the times normally I am getting the full green screen the first time I got blue :frantics:

3 minutes ago, C.Frio said:

hi...

I do have this rx560..with high Sierra..(z370) and a rx460 with mojave (z97)....and never saw that...and that way ..("Not playing video or something, sometimes the first start of the Safari sometimes in surfing on the internet. Not all the time but its happening time to time") , could you change the video cable you are using..? or even the monitor...

c.frio

No and No. I am using the same display and Apple HD cable. And this just happens when I using Safari.

Edited by telepati