VirtualSMC — SMC Emulator

vit9696
760 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Only a quick question, VirtualSMC as many more advantages than FakeSMC? or what are the advantages if I switched one for other?

Thanks for answering a noob question...

Edited by MorenoAv

@vit9696 ,

to come back to my original question.. 

All three Sensor kexts distributed with VirtualSMC seem to work as expected.. However, yet we are missing several sensor data not distributed by any Sensor.kext compatible with VirtualSMC, correct? 

Is there any possibility to develop or adopt the following sensor kexts of the FakeSMC distribution https://github.com/interferenc/HWSensors?:

a.) ACPISensors.kext.zip

b.) LPCSensors.kext.zip

c.) GPUSensors.kext.zip

Such kexts would tremendously increase impact and value of your VirtualSMC distribution. Once all kexts are available, I would ask @Bjango for a correct interfacing of iStatMenus with the finalised VirtualSMC distribution.. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crisorlandobr said:

Hi

I am new with VirtualSMC and I was able to install it (the older version did not boot Clover)

But I have one small doubt

Some people where saying that I had to disable CFG_Lock at BIOS to use SMCProcessor kext, but what happens within BIOS with no CFG_Lock entry ?

Tks

Not needed

14 hours ago, crisorlandobr said:

Hi

I am new with VirtualSMC and I was able to install it (the older version did not boot Clover)

Some people where saying that I had to disable CFG_Lock at BIOS to use SMCProcessor kext, but what happens within BIOS with no CFG_Lock entry ?

Tks

In any cases of CFG_Lock shall be always to disable.

16 hours ago, crisorlandobr said:

Hi

Tks

Just follow guide line at bottom of page : https://github.com/acidanthera/AptioFixPkg

VerifyMsrE2

Certain firmwares fail to properly initialize 0xE2 MSR register (MSR_BROADWELL_PKG_CST_CONFIG_CONTROL) across all the cores. This application prints 0xE2 values of all the cores and reports 0xE2 status. The notable example of desyncrhonised 0xE2 MSR registers are several GIGABYTE UEFI firmwares for Intel 100 Series and Intel 200 Series chipsets.

CFG Lock option is available on most APTIO V firmwares, although it may be hidden from the GUI. If VerifyMsrE2 reports that your 0xE2 register is consistently locked, you may try to unlock this option directly.

1. Download UEFITool and IFR-Extractor.
  2. Open your firmware image in UEFITool and find CFG Lock unicode string. If it is not present, your firmware does not support this and you should stop.
  3. Extract the Setup.bin PE32 Image Section that UEFITool found via Extract Body.
  4. Run IFR-Extractor on the extracted file (e.g. ./ifrextract Setup.bin Setup.txt).
  5. Find CFG Lock, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName): in Setup.txt and remember the offset right after it (e.g. 0x123).
  6. Download and run a modified GRUB Shell, thx to brainsucker for the binary.
  7. Enter setup_var 0x123 0x00 command, where 0x123 should be replaced by your actual offset and reboot.

WARNING: variable offsets are unique not only to each motherboard but even to its firmware version. Never ever try to use an offset without checking.

Fred

Edited by FredWst
  • Like 2

Does anyone have wake and sleep problem same with me?

I am using VirtualSMC to replace the FakeSMC but my laptop cant get into the sleep mode.

When it get into the sleep mode and it will reboot when be waked up no matter manually sleep or automatically sleep.

ok now its work veryy well here HP ProBook 6570B 

macOS Mojave latest Beta :thumbsup_anim:

HWMonitor ok here

I see infos that I never see with FakeSMC ( CPU GFX )

The only thing is not showing is the Fan control 

251269086_Capturedcranle2018-09-0318_12_04.png.dfbf0b693c6bbd0e1b66708fc0329c78.png

Edited by chris1111
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, FredWst said:

Just follow guide line at bottom of page : https://github.com/acidanthera/AptioFixPkg

hi Fred

is it?

CFG Lock, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName): 0x4AF, VarStore: 0x1 QuestionId: 0x38D, Size: 1, Min: 0x0, Max 0x1, Step: 0x0 {05 91 7F 0B 80 0B 8D 03 01 00 AF 04 10 10 00 01 00}

with EFI shell I have picture's result

this is from a x299 designer ex motherboard (F3 bios version)

thank you

IMG_1626.jpg

Edited by Guest
add picture

11 minutes ago, obus said:

Hi @fabiosun

How do I run Grub. Shell:wub:

Format an USB pen in Exfat

put there decompressed file

reboot and chose with Asus bios Fx key boot option choose your usb and you will be there

Pay attention ;)

9 hours ago, fabiosun said:

hi Fred

is it?

CFG Lock, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName): 0x4AF, VarStore: 0x1 QuestionId: 0x38D, Size: 1, Min: 0x0, Max 0x1, Step: 0x0 {05 91 7F 0B 80 0B 8D 03 01 00 AF 04 10 10 00 01 00}

with EFI shell I have picture's result

this is from a x299 designer ex motherboard (F3 bios version)

thank you

IMG_1626.jpg

CFG Lock, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName): 0x4AF, VarStore: 0x1 QuestionId: 0x38D, Size: 1, Min: 0x0, Max 0x1, Step: 0x0 {05 91 7F 0B 80 0B 8D 03 01 00 AF 04 10 10 00 01 00}"

you  do setup_var 0x4af 0 

So all should be ok without clover MSRE2 patch :)

Fred

Edited by FredWst

5 minutes ago, FredWst said:

<quote>

"CFG Lock, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName): 0x4AF, VarStore: 0x1 QuestionId: 0x38D, Size: 1, Min: 0x0, Max 0x1, Step: 0x0 {05 91 7F 0B 80 0B 8D 03 01 00 AF 04 10 10 00 01 00}"

</quote>

You've found the var after following the guide line so now just do setupvar 0x4af 0 

And all should be good :)

Fred

have hoped so. but Unsynch cores are there also I have verified that offset is the same in all X299 designare ex firmware F2, F3 , F4c and this is strange if I read instructions

In pictures above you can see output message after executing setup_var 0x4AF 0x00

so Maybe something is incorrect :)

6 minutes ago, FredWst said:

And all should be ok, no need clover MSRE2 patch anymore :)

Fred

with my system never used msrEx2 pkernel patch

I have tried this to solve problem with some unsynched cores in bootloo because someone say it could be a problem in sleep/wake stage.

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

have hoped so. but Unsynch cores are there also I have verified that offset is the same in all X299 designare ex firmware F2, F3 , F4c and this is strange if I read instructions

In pictures above you can see output message after executing setup_var 0x4AF 0x00

so Maybe something is incorrect :)

Sorry to edit my post during you made answer.

I also saw this error, don't care.

This is just boot log or is there a something wrong with my system? If this just boot log is it possible the hide it?

IMG_0409.thumb.JPG.d9f3a97d723c5739813e5504af2bdbaa.JPG

I can boot with VirtualSMC but I dont know how to test it is it working or not?

What should I do for testing where should I look?

I attached my clover folder could you please someone confirm I added the files correct place? Thanks.

CLOVER.zip

Edited by telepati

2 hours ago, vit9696 said:

@fabiosun, try increasing the timeout in code.

Increasing in code did the job

I have no doubt about my MsrEx02

but in X299 chipset are some TSC unsynch message I am not be able to solve by now

System is working well except for sleep/wake stage. 

I can live without it :)

IMG_1642.jpg

Mojave refuses to boot with VirtualSMC. It can't find SMC. High Sierra has no problems. 

Reseted nvram, flashed kexts inside ozmosis firmware, tried from EFI, no mojave boots at all. 

SMC Version (system): 2.15f7 properly recognized on High Sierra.

1 minute ago, Kynyo said:

Mojave refuses to boot with VirtualSMC. It can't find SMC. High Sierra has no problems. 

Reseted nvram, flashed kexts inside ozmosis firmware, tried from EFI, no mojave boots at all. 

SMC Version (system): 2.15f7 properly recognized on High Sierra.

You should need to flash VirtualSMC.kexts when there is a EFI module instead. Also make sure you read the FAQ on GitHub repo when using the EFI module.

VirtualSmc.efi.zip

Edited by Pavo

Tried both versions .efi and .kexts as ffs, one at a time in BIOS. Same result. HS boots, Mojave wont.

EDIT: Got it working by updating Lilu.kext :D S'all good now!

Many thanks to everyone involved in such a great project.

Edited by Kynyo
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2018 at 6:26 PM, Pavo said:

Latest committed build

VirtualSMC.zip

Hi @Pavo could you please help me! I download your latest build pack and these files are located different path. Inside this zip all kexts located S/L/E all tools are using usr/bin

am I using the wrong path?

I added all kexts to CLOVER/kexts and added all tools including libaistat.dylib to CLOVER/tools

277505349_ScreenShot2018-09-05at23_22_37.png.cb0615a6fa76704d2c984da1c5d25c75.png

247441660_ScreenShot2018-09-05at23_22_50.png.c36d62c49c172b5b1e5d3675dc07af27.png

iStats looks like this;

181971057_ScreenShot2018-09-05at20_52_44.png.81fc31f4f935ee532aa2aa5c2efda65b.png

I can boot but every boot I am getting this before the clover boot screen. is this just a boot log or did I load the all files wrong place?

IMG_0409.thumb.JPG.d9f3a97d723c5739813e5504af2bdbaa.JPG.707c6177a968ba2677b3b2836a78b9fc.JPG

Also I tried 'smcread -s' command on terminal and says command not found

1045501594_ScreenShot2018-09-05at20_50_57.png.c9ba0b8f202f192bb1b1919d26e25e6f.png

I am really confused please help me what should I do?

• Like 1