VirtualSMC — SMC Emulator

vit9696
760 posts in this topic

It works. Though I seem to have lost GPU sensor data in iStat, as well as some temperature readings. Is there additional configuration I need to set in order get correct SMC output for my model (iMac17,1)?

I can't compile it with Xcode: /Users/wanderleypires/Documents/GitHub/VirtualSMC/VirtualSMC/kern_keys.cpp:10:10: 'Headers/kern_time.hpp' file not found. Sorry if it is a newbie question.

Hi,

Probably some MSR register is not available on your CPU. To know which please provide a usual panic log (a screenshot would do too). keepsyms=1 -v debug=0x100 boot-args are your friends. If you go with a screenshot, make sure you add a kernel patch to avoid kext list printing (https://applelife.ru/posts/686953) and make sure the stack trace is clearly visible.

Also, use the debug binaries of both SMCProcessor and VirtualSMC and attach your compiled binaries, since there currently are no official releases to compare the offsets against.

Also, include the output of the following command in terminal:

sysctl machdep

Muchas gracias @m0no 

Booted fine with Ozmosis. But my "Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6" isnt there yet, IDK if everything is corrected. I guess I need to wait for g00d contributors to fill the datas for that board-id LOL. Kudos to author!

Edited by cecekpawon
Ozmosis report

Congrats to the authors! 

However, 

a.) seems not to properly compile under 10.14, Xcode 10 (repetitive nasm, mtoc, etc. errors discussed and already fixed along the IM Build_Clover.command thread) 

b.) Processor kext not compatible with Skylake-X (KP)

c.) No X299 onboard sensor data

d.) No ATI/Nvidia GPU Sensor data

below I provide a link to the latest working FakeSMC Skylake-X/X299 HWSensor distribution, in case that this helps...

https://github.com/interferenc/HWSensors

Cheers,

KGP

Edited by KGP-iMacPro
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Allan said:

Very nice!!

Screen Shot 2018-08-24 at 22.46.25.png

Thank you @vit9696 ;)

EDIT: And all the necessary info about the Battery are showing at the right way.

The only thing that I've worried about is the temp of my SSD.

Do not use HWMonitor with VirtualSMC, correct data are not guaranteed.

HWMonitor only for FakeSMC.
Use iStat Menus.

Edited by Andrey1970
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Wppley2 said:

We have to install VirtualSMC in S/L/E?

No.

1 hour ago, errorexists said:

tryied the virtualsmc with smcprocessor an istat is not working properly as i do not see fans

image.png.45213832f0e405263b71c85b2b63913d.png

At present time there are only CPU, battery and ambient light sensors.

For frequency show, install  Intel® Power Gadget

6155028_2018-08-2517_55_03.png.3eac5aea4fde4361f9c9daade09da4bd.png

Edited by Andrey1970
  • Like 3

I committed a change that is supposed to fix kernel panics with SMCProcessor.kext.

Regarding boot issues, I strongly recommend to read the instructions before using any software.

https://github.com/acidanthera/VirtualSMC/blob/master/Docs/FAQ.md#what-are-the-requirements

dart=0 could be related, I am still looking for a better workaround for this bug.

Also, regarding HWMonitor, it is not like it should not be used, but rather it needs to be updated to properly handle SMC keys according to Apple docs found in libSMC.dylib.

Some details may be found in: https://github.com/acidanthera/VirtualSMC/blob/master/Docs/SensorInfo.md#recommendations

UPD: Committed a change to fix hangs without dart=0 on 10.12.

Edited by vit9696
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Andrey1970 said:

Use iStat Menus.

Thank you ;)

7 hours ago, vit9696 said:

Also, regarding HWMonitor, it is not like it should not be used, but rather it needs to be updated to properly handle SMC keys according to Apple docs found in libSMC.dylib.

HWMonitor devs, turn on your machines :lol:

11 hours ago, vit9696 said:

I committed a change that is supposed to fix kernel panics with SMCProcessor.kext.

Regarding boot issues, I strongly recommend to read the instructions before using any software.

https://github.com/acidanthera/VirtualSMC/blob/master/Docs/FAQ.md#what-are-the-requirements

dart=0 could be related, I am still looking for a better workaround for this bug.

Some details may be found in: https://github.com/acidanthera/VirtualSMC/blob/master/Docs/SensorInfo.md#recommendations

UPD: Committed a change to fix hangs without dart=0 on 10.12.

Thanks for the fix, @vit9696! Appreciated! 

My Skylake-X/X299 i9-7980XE (18 core)/ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe system now successfully boots without boot flag dart=0 and with all 3 sensor kexts included (no further KPs)...

However, still there seems to exist an issue with the sensor kext information or with the interface to iStat Menus... 

Let's just focus on the CPU sensor information, as there are anyway no sensor kexts yet for providing e.g. GPU and X299 onboard information:  

All I see under sensors.. 

1309222997_Screenshot2018-08-26at05_56_28.png.fdd1e62afd662beedddc01c5a68a88a6.png

..is the average CPU Frequency, while the "average" CPU Temp always remains 0.. There is no information about CPU cores and heatsink temps, CPU cores and package frequencies , CPU cores and package multipliers or CPU Package power consumption, when compared with @interferenc 's perfectly working FakeSMC and HWSensor kext distribution. 

iStatMenues.thumb.png.c1f03543142964c11ed4387ffb44573b.png

Evidently, as yet there are no kexts for displaying GPU, onboard, memory or PSU properties, I am also missing information on CPU, RAM and PSU voltage and power consumption, fan rotation or GPU and mainboard temps.. 

Only thing currently working in iStat Menus is the delivered information on CPU thread utilisation, which is properly displayed for all 36 threads..  

1020143802_Screenshot2018-08-26at05_55_44.png.640c372165a35947957aedf85fe4fa4d.png     

769825963_Screenshot2018-08-26at05_56_12.png.027542dc20c1787637eaf3ff2461c5b1.png

although the latter also might be provided without adding any CPU sensor kext distribution.. 

I really hope that @interferenc's FakeSMC and HWSensor kext distribution linked in post 

might be of help for providing complete and correct sensor information also with your current and novel VirtualSMC distribution..  

Edited by KGP-iMacPro

latest commit i got no KP, cpu sensor read correctly *i think.

only the downside is my audio not working with AppleALC, all audio devices detected normally.

when switched back to FakeSMC and its kexts sensor, my audio is back.

Edited by Regi Yassin
that was because ALC1150 driver from windows. using default driver for alc1150 in windows, got no issue anymore
  • Like 1