Intel UHD 620 QE/CI problems..

tikizondo94

146 posts in this topic

Ive got a dell Inspiron 7370, With an Intel i7 8550u, UHD 620, 16GB ram etc. And for the life of me i cannot get QE/CI to work on this machine. Im using FakeID 59168086 and PlatformID 59160000. Ive tried multiple others, 59120000, 591b0000, 1912000. etc. 59120000 works only with an external monitor hooked up via HDMI from my side port on the laptop. But my internal monitor will not work. Just a black screen. Now i can boot with an invalidID like 0x12345678. But of course i have no QE/CI. Any ideas would be great!

Send me Pauls-MacBook-Pro.zip

I had the same problem as you.  You have the correct configuration so I would not change it.  I eventually asked MaLd0n to help me because my problem was related to my DSDT.  I was not able to disable the Nvidia GPU that comes with my laptop.  I don't know if you also have a discreet GPU in your laptop.  

One thing you did not mention is whether your display is HD or UHD.  If it is UHD, you need the CoreDisplayFixup.kext with Lilu.kext.  You also didn't mention whether you use the IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup.kext.  It turns out that I didn't need this kext and using it prevented me from booting up with graphics unless I used a false ig-platform-id.  Your laptop, however, may need it.

So the bottom line is that this is not likely a config problem but is either a kext problem or a discreet gpu problem.  Good luck.

P.S. - As an aside, does your NVMe drive run hot in macOS?  I also have a 512 NVMe drive and it idles at about 68C.  I just bought a heatsink for it because it gets very warm on my lap.  I'm hoping it will help.

Edited by mnfesq

14 hours ago, mnfesq said:

I had the same problem as you.  You have the correct configuration so I would not change it.  I eventually asked MaLd0n to help me because my problem was related to my DSDT.  I was not able to disable the Nvidia GPU that comes with my laptop.  I don't know if you also have a discreet GPU in your laptop.  

One thing you did not mention is whether your display is HD or UHD.  If it is UHD, you need the CoreDisplayFixup.kext with Lilu.kext.  You also didn't mention whether you use the IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup.kext.  It turns out that I didn't need this kext and using it prevented me from booting up with graphics unless I used a false ig-platform-id.  Your laptop, however, may need it.

So the bottom line is that this is not likely a config problem but is either a kext problem or a discreet gpu problem.  Good luck.

P.S. - As an aside, does your NVMe drive run hot in macOS?  I also have a 512 NVMe drive and it idles at about 68C.  I just bought a heatsink for it because it gets very warm on my lap.  I'm hoping it will help.

Its an uhd 620 but my internal screen is only 1920x1080. Its a touch screen but not 2k/4k. Ive tried the DVMTFixupkext in the past but it didn't seem to make a difference. Ive tried multiple DVMT kext to patch configurations. And none seem to make a difference. The laptop dosent have any discrete graphics adapters either. Only the UHD620. Ive noticed my actual HardwareID for my UHD620 is 59178086 within device manager in windows. Ive also tried to patch appleskl and applekbl frame buffer kexts. Made no difference. But i honestly might have missed something. Within BIOS i can visually see that video memory is 64mb. So im "guessing" i don't need any DVMT kexts or patches? 

IMG_20180628_054344.jpg

Try fake ID 0x3E918086, 0x3E928086.

Maybe change system definition to MacBook Air 5.1?
So what factors determine on what fakeID you can use with each PlatformID? I'm sure there somehow specific to smbios etc. But are there exceptions?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, tikizondo94 said:

So what factors determine on what fakeID you can use with each PlatformID? I'm sure there somehow specific to smbios etc. But are there exceptions?

Sometmes no fake ID and only ig platform ID.    

I tested a HP pavilion laptop with i5 85?? and only used ig 59120001.     Others use the 3e92 ig platform.    It seems to vary with system ID in the various software versions.   What works in Sierra doesn’t in HS or Mojave.   Just have to test what works for you.

8 hours ago, tikizondo94 said:

Its an uhd 620 but my internal screen is only 1920x1080. Its a touch screen but not 2k/4k. Ive tried the DVMTFixupkext in the past but it didn't seem to make a difference. Ive tried multiple DVMT kext to patch configurations. And none seem to make a difference. The laptop dosent have any discrete graphics adapters either. Only the UHD620. Ive noticed my actual HardwareID for my UHD620 is 59178086 within device manager in windows. Ive also tried to patch appleskl and applekbl frame buffer kexts. Made no difference. But i honestly might have missed something. Within BIOS i can visually see that video memory is 64mb. So im "guessing" i don't need any DVMT kexts or patches? 

Interesting that your PID is 5917.  Mine is 5916.  Have you tried using a ig-platform-id of 59170000?  If that doesn't work, I would try adding a DSM method to your IGPU in your DSDT that has both the actual device id and a compatible id for 59168086.  

Interesting that your PID is 5917.  Mine is 5916.  Have you tried using a ig-platform-id of 59170000?  If that doesn't work, I would try adding a DSM method to your IGPU in your DSDT that has both the actual device id and a compatible id for 59168086.  
Ive never tried 59170000, I will when I get back to my machine. How would I go about adding a DSM method to my DSDT? I haven't messed around alot with DSDT editing a whole lot.

42 minutes ago, tikizondo94 said:

Ive never tried 59170000, I will when I get back to my machine. How would I go about adding a DSM method to my DSDT? I haven't messed around alot with DSDT editing a whole lot.

I'm no guru when it comes to DSDT editing but I think the patch would look something like this:

into method label _DSM parent_adr 0x00020000 remove_entry;
into device name_adr 0x00020000 insert
begin
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)\n
{\n
    If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero)) { Return (Buffer() { 0x03 } ) }\n
    Return (Package()\n
    {\n
        "device-id", Buffer() { 0x17, 0x59, 0x86, 0x80 },\n
        "AAPL,ig-platform-id", Buffer() { 0x00, 0x00, 0x59, 0x16 },\n
        "hda-gfx", Buffer() { "onboard-1" },\n
        "model", Buffer() { "Intel UHD 620" },\n
	"compatible-id", Buffer() { 0x16, 0x59, 0x86, 0x80 },\n
    })\n
}\n
end;

I know that, for my laptop, the insertion location would not be in the DSDT at 0x000020000.  Instead, it's in an SSDT that lists all of the devices (DD01, DD02, etc.).  Also, the Buffer is probably not 0x03 because I added the line for compatible-id to this patch.  Still, it's a start and maybe you can check it out with one of the DSDT gurus.  Of course, whatever you do, please keep a backup of your current DSDT because I am often wrong.

4 hours ago, mnfesq said:

I'm no guru when it comes to DSDT editing but I think the patch would look something like this:

into method label _DSM parent_adr 0x00020000 remove_entry;
into device name_adr 0x00020000 insert
begin
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)\n
{\n
    If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero)) { Return (Buffer() { 0x03 } ) }\n
    Return (Package()\n
    {\n
        "device-id", Buffer() { 0x17, 0x59, 0x86, 0x80 },\n
        "AAPL,ig-platform-id", Buffer() { 0x00, 0x00, 0x59, 0x16 },\n
        "hda-gfx", Buffer() { "onboard-1" },\n
        "model", Buffer() { "Intel UHD 620" },\n
	"compatible-id", Buffer() { 0x16, 0x59, 0x86, 0x80 },\n
    })\n
}\n
end;

I know that, for my laptop, the insertion location would not be in the DSDT at 0x000020000.  Instead, it's in an SSDT that lists all of the devices (DD01, DD02, etc.).  Also, the Buffer is probably not 0x03 because I added the line for compatible-id to this patch.  Still, it's a start and maybe you can check it out with one of the DSDT gurus.  Of course, whatever you do, please keep a backup of your current DSDT because I am often wrong.

Well ive tried patching the DSDT and no DSDT and same result. With the patched DSDT i end up with the panic above. And without it just autoreboots.  Still i can only get acceleration on the External HDMI port, using FakeID 59168086 and PlatformID 59120000. It even states in about this mac im using an Intel UHD 620 with 1536Mb Graphics. Still nothing on my internal screen. Just looks like the backlight is on. Im usings an appleintelbacklight patch and kext. But im not sure if its implemented correctly. Im lost at this point.. Any ideas?

Paul’s MacBook Pro.zip

6 hours ago, mnfesq said:

Take a look at my files and see if they give you any ideas.

Send me mnfesqs-HP-Envy-25.zip

Well im noticing we both have the exact same cpu/gpu setup, minus you have 4K. But you have the same 59178086 device ID as mine. FakeID is just loading 59168086. Im wondering if its a lcd panel connector port issue with mine or what? Also with the whole DVMT allocation, Im wondering if thats playing an issue also. But since i have full QE/CI on my HDMI port i would think i didnt have that problem? IDK.. Im lost lol.. So what are your SSDTs being used for? 

Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 6.05.10 AM.png

7 hours ago, tikizondo94 said:

Well im noticing we both have the exact same cpu/gpu setup, minus you have 4K. But you have the same 59178086 device ID as mine. FakeID is just loading 59168086. Im wondering if its a lcd panel connector port issue with mine or what? Also with the whole DVMT allocation, Im wondering if thats playing an issue also. But since i have full QE/CI on my HDMI port i would think i didnt have that problem? IDK.. Im lost lol.. So what are your SSDTs being used for? 

Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 6.05.10 AM.png

I agree with you that if you have HDMI video, it's not a DVMT allocation issue.  Usually video ports are determined by the last digit of the ig-platform-id.  Have you tried using 0001 or 0004 or some other?  Also, is your EDID being properly detected?  Those are typically the issues that arise with the internal display.

I agree with you that if you have HDMI video, it's not a DVMT allocation issue.  Usually video ports are determined by the last digit of the ig-platform-id.  Have you tried using 0001 or 0004 or some other?  Also, is your EDID being properly detected?  Those are typically the issues that arise with the internal display.
I haven't tried that yet. But I will when I get home. I'm wondering if applebacklight has anything to do with it? I'm using rehabs kext, patch and ssdt method. But I cannot tell if it's being implemented correctly

5 minutes ago, tikizondo94 said:

I haven't tried that yet. But I will when I get home. I'm wondering if applebacklight has anything to do with it? I'm using rehabs kext, patch and ssdt method. But I cannot tell if it's being implemented correctly

For me, screen brightness worked OOB and did not require any kexts.  I would remove them until you actually need to adjust the brightness of your screen.  I saw your Clover kexts and didn't know the reason why you use many of them. They are not necessary for my system and, as you noted, our systems are very similar.

I've also noticed that we can patch applekblgraphics kexts for framebuffer ports on the fly in clover. I've looked into the framebuffer code for kbl but just can't seem to find where the code starts for port 0. If I could I would patch to find the port 5 HDMI "external" to my port for internal. Lol "if it's possible"

8 minutes ago, tikizondo94 said:

I've also noticed that we can patch applekblgraphics kexts for framebuffer ports on the fly in clover. I've looked into the framebuffer code for kbl but just can't seem to find where the code starts for port 0. If I could I would patch to find the port 5 HDMI "external" to my port for internal. Lol "if it's possible"

Interestingly, my HDMI port does not work and I was beginning to think that it might be connected to my discreet GPU and not to the Intel GPU.  I suspect you may be right about the port connections but before you patch the framebuffer kext, you might try other stock ig configs.

1 hour ago, mnfesq said:

Interestingly, my HDMI port does not work and I was beginning to think that it might be connected to my discreet GPU and not to the Intel GPU.  I suspect you may be right about the port connections but before you patch the framebuffer kext, you might try other stock ig configs.

Well ive tried 59120004 and 59120002 59120001. 59120002 will not boot at all. But the other 2 will. But with no QE/CI. About this mac show UHD 620 7mb as usual. So Strange. Ive checked my boot.logs and clover seems to be picking up my EDID. Im pretty lost at this point. Do you have any idea how i would patch AppleKBL for internal monitor? Or if it would even be needed?

Oh and ive found out that my DVMT is set to 128mb. So i dont know if that is causing a problem or not?

3 hours ago, tikizondo94 said:

Well ive tried 59120004 and 59120002 59120001. 59120002 will not boot at all. But the other 2 will. But with no QE/CI. About this mac show UHD 620 7mb as usual. So Strange. Ive checked my boot.logs and clover seems to be picking up my EDID. Im pretty lost at this point. Do you have any idea how i would patch AppleKBL for internal monitor? Or if it would even be needed?

Oh and ive found out that my DVMT is set to 128mb. So i dont know if that is causing a problem or not?

Here are 2 config.plists from RehabMan's respository that may provide you with some ideas for your video.  One is for Kabylake spoofing and the other for native Kabylake support.

KabyLake Config.Plists.zip

I also found this post on another site:

I installed Lilu.kext IntelGraphicsFixUp.kext FakePCIID.kext FakePCIID_.kext and FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext then i used Fake ID for IntelGFX (0x19168086) and put 0x19160000 for the ig-platform-id

dont forget to reboot with an invalid platform id (0x12345678)
run sudo kext cache -u /
then reboot with the valid id (0x19160000)

I did basically the same thing but used Fake ID 0x59168086 and ig-platform-id 0x59160000.

Edited by mnfesq

Thanks man. those are the plists ive been using for a base. And for some reason all the usual ways of getting graphics working just arent for me. Go figure. Ive tried talking Rehabman on TM but..... you know.. Anyways i appreciate all your help. And if you happen to come across any other ways im all ears :) Thanks again.. 

@tikizondo94if you are having black screen with the recommended fake id which is already set on rehabmans config plist files, then you have to patch your edid, it does detect it correctly but you have to patch it in order to have it working correctly.

Just now, besnik.rrustemi said:

@tikizondo94if you are having black screen with the recommended fake id which is already set on rehabmans config plist files, then you have to patch your edid, it does detect it correctly but you have to patch it in order to have it working correctly.

What steps are needed to correctly patch my EDID? 

boot with 0x12345678 ig platform id, dump your edid and paste it here. or send it on a text file.

You can use DarwinDumper or simply copy it from ioreg

Edited by besnik.rrustemi
correction