How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

KGP-iMacPro

iMacPro Build/Guide Feedback   

26 members have voted

1. 1. Does this guide help you in your endeavour?

• yes
    • no

This poll is closed to new votes

656 posts in this topic

I guess it's only useful if someone really wants to not have to use VoodooTSCSync. Hehe.

It'll be interesting to see if there's a performance or stability gain. Otherwise I can't see the point in risking it on an unlocked mobo.

:)

attached here x299UD4.F6b patched bios and  also MSI x299 X Power Gaming Ac

but as always I do not advice to flash it because it is risky and maybe not useful at all for your task

Done , flashed ... and all seems working ! many thank's ! 

• Like 1

Done , flashed ... and all seems working ! many thank's !

Thank you for testing it and confirmation

If i can ask...

Do you see some improvement of behaviour you wanted achieve?

Successful Update to macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 SA (17D2102)

post-1362934-0-24818200-1519114680_thumb.png

Important Notification: Note the new macOS Build number 17D2102! No official Nvidia Web Driver has been released yet for 17D2102! Thus, all Nvidia users have to work with the xx.106 or xx.157 Web-Deriver Patch-Workaround fully described in Section E.2) - Graphics Configuration, until an official Nvidia Web Driver has been released for 17D2102!

The guide in the originating post of this thread will be updated, as soon the latter Web Driver is available. 

Enjoy and have fun,

post-1362934-0-41431100-1516222345.png

post-1362934-0-24818200-1519114680_thumb.png

• Like 3

Big Progress in Skylake-X/X299 HWMonitoring

After a extensive tweet session between @BJango, @gxsolace and myself, it seems that we approached a major step forward towards a correct Skalyke-X/X299 HWMonitoring based on the HWSensor and FakeSMC kext distribution provided by @interferenc and iStatMenus provided by @BJango. Many thanks to both @interferenc and @Bjango for their awesome and extensive contributions and just brilliant work!

post-1362934-0-30554000-1519175586_thumb.png

The recent iStatMenus beta distribution can be achieved here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/bjango/files/istatmenus6/957.zip ….
The HWSensor and FakeSMC kext distribution of @interferenc can be achieved here: https://github.com/interferenc/HWSensors.

To compile the HWSensor kexts, perform the individual steps detailed below:

1.)
git clone https://github.com/interferenc/HWSensors

2.) 

cp HWSensors ~/Desktop/

3.) 

cd ~/Desktop/HWSensors

4.) 

xcodebuild -project Versioning\ And\ Distribution.xcodeproj/
5.) 
xcodebuild -project HWMonitor.xcodeproj/
6.)
xcodebuild -project HWSensors.xcodeproj -alltargets

Subsequently, one finds the all compiled binaries in ~/Desktop/HWSensors/Binaries/.

Note that all compiled kext binaries are once more attached below. Just download and unzip HWSensor-kext-distribution-interferenc.zip and copy all kexts to /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/.

Remaining problems: 

a.) CPU Package Cores and CPU package DRAM power consumption apparently not supported by sensor kexts... 

b.) GPU Fan speed at 100 rpm for water blocked Nvidia GPU :-)

Enjoy and have fun,

HWSensor-kext-distribution-interferenc.zip

post-1362934-0-30554000-1519175586_thumb.png

• Like 2

Big Progress in Skylake-X/X299 HWMonitoring

After a extensive tweet session between @BJango, @gxsolace and myself, it seems that we approached a major step forward towards a correct Skalyke-X/X299 HWMonitoring based on the HWSensor and FakeSMC kext distribution provided by @interferenc and iStatMenus provided by @BJango. Many thanks to both @interferenc and @Bjango for their awesome and extensive contributions and just brilliant work!

The recent iStatMenus beta distribution can be achieved here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/bjango/files/istatmenus6/957.zip ….
The HWSensor and FakeSMC kext distribution of @interferenc can be achieved here: https://github.com/interferenc/HWSensors.

To compile the HWSensor kexts, perform the individual steps detailed below:

1.)
git clone https://github.com/interferenc/HWSensors

2.) 

cp HWSensors ~/Desktop/

3.) 

cd ~/Desktop/HWSensors

4.) 

xcodebuild -project Versioning\ And\ Distribution.xcodeproj/
5.) 
xcodebuild -project HWMonitor.xcodeproj/
6.)
xcodebuild -project HWSensors.xcodeproj -alltargets

Subsequently, one finds the all compiled binaries in ~/Desktop/HWSensors/Binaries/.

Note that all compiled kext binaries are once more attached below. Just download and unzip HWSensor-kext-distribution-interferenc.zip and copy all kexts to /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/.

Remaining problems: 

a.) CPU Package Cores and CPU package DRAM power consumption apparently not supported by sensor kexts... 

b.) GPU Fan speed at 100 rpm for water blocked Nvidia GPU :-)

Enjoy and have fun,

Very good news. But still no support for RX radeon series in gpusensor.kext. And I notice that cpu voltage showing incorrect value. 

For now I thing will stay with @Slice version. There are all moderatory information 

post-916820-0-62147500-1519207504_thumb.png

@Matthew82, for me the important thing is to finally retreive the correct Skylake-X CPU information, which totally fails with HWMonior.app. I am optimistic that one can use any sensor kext distribution with iStatmenus. No explicit need to take the sensor kexts of @interferenc. What improved is the Sensor interface of iStatmenus!

Cheers,

KGP

From long time a not using HWMonitor.app. But @Slice make compatible version for HWMonitorSMC.app and iStat. 

Well then his Sensor kexts should also work with the new iStatmenus beta.. As far as I see from your picture above, you are still limited to 8-10 core sensor information. For me the kexts of Slice do not work at all... 

Up to you, it is not a must to use the new iStatmenus beta... you are free to do whatever you want..

Cheers and good luck,

KGP  :wink_anim:

Not really true :)

A new features version is in development from vector sigma for now it is working very well :)

I am not using mb sensor or gfx sensor in this test osx installation ..but some other data is present

Well then his Sensor kexts should also work with the new iStatmenus beta.. As far as I see from your picture above, you are still limited to 8-10 core sensor information. For me the kexts of Slice do not work at all... 

Up to you, it is not a must to use the new iStatmenus beta... you are free to do whatever you want..

Cheers and good luck,

KGP  :wink_anim:

post-468967-0-10832600-1519212452_thumb.png

Not really true :)

A new features version is in development from vector sigma for now it is working very well :)

I am not using mb sensor or gfx sensor in this test osx installation ..but some other data is present

@fabiosun, what means not really true? I was referring to the officially distributed HWSensor distribution of Slice & Co on SourceForge, which on my Skylake-X/X299 system I can directly drop to the trash bin ...

Any links you could provide for the unofficial beta developer version you are apparently using at present? 

It is really funny... one finally achieves a fix of iStatMenus, which now finally seems fully compatible with the Skylake-X/X299 sensor information..  but instead of some expected positive response, I rather witness critics and negative response...  Seems that moreover I even have to justify myself for the awesome work of @Bjango and @interferenc.

I opened more than 1 month ago a ticket on SourceForge, which unfortunately until today remained open and without any further action or response: 

https://sourceforge.net/p/hwsensors/hwsensors3/tickets/2/ 

That's something I would call contra-productive or even impolite. Sorry.

A great day to all of you,

KGP

Mmmmhh

I could answer simply with this link :

But also I would like to replicate to some of your words

1) you did not know HWSensor slice thread where this app was updated for some request of few users indeed

2) for you is funny and you see critics and conspiracies in every people saying something different about some your assertions 

In my message I have only said that this app is also under development (from an Italian developer)

And I was asking to slice for cores support....from time ago..

But to be first does not mean I am better than other! ok?

Without any polemics but before doing such statement be more informed! :)

best regards

@fabiosun, what means not really true? I was referring to the officially distributed HWSensor distribution of Slice & Co on SourceForge, which on my Skylake-X/X299 system I can directly drop to the trash bin ...

Any links you could provide for the unofficial beta developer version you are apparently using at present? 

It is really funny... one finally achieves a fix of iStatMenus, which now finally seems fully compatible with the Skylake-X/X299 sensor information..  but instead of some expected positive response, I rather witness critics and negative response...  Seems that moreover I even have to justify myself for the awesome work of @Bjango and @interferenc.

I opened more than 1 month ago a ticket on SourceForge, which unfortunately until today remained open and without any further action or response: 

https://sourceforge.net/p/hwsensors/hwsensors3/tickets/2/ 

That's something I would call contra-productive or even impolite. Sorry.

A great day to all of you,

KGP

Mmmmhh

I could answer simply with this link :

But also I would like to replicate to some of your words

1) you did not know HWSensor slice thread where this app was updated for some request of few users indeed

2) for you is funny and you see critics and conspiracies in every people saying something different about some your assertions 

In my message I have only said that this app is also under development (from an Italian developer)

And I was asking to slice for cores support....from time ago..

But to be first does not mean I am better than other! ok?

Without any polemics but before doing such statement be more informed! :)

best regards

uff... @fabiosun, I am really tired of being permanently involved in such kind of discussions... 

All the best,

KGP

Guide update to 10.13.3 SA (17D2102) completed

New EFI Folder EFI-X299-10.13.3-Release-iMacPro1,1-200218.zip implemented in the originating post of this thread (guide). 

EFI-Folder related changes:
  • Implementation of Clover Boot Loader distribution Clover_v2.4k_r4411
  • Implementation of CPU "PluginType" injection in config.plist by checking "PluginType" in Section "ACPI" of Clover Configurator
Guide related modifications:

Minor updates/modifications to account for 10.13.3 SA (17D2102) and 10.13.4 Beta 3 (17E160e) implementations. 

Enjoy and have fun,

• Like 2

Thank you for testing it and confirmation

If i can ask...

Do you see some improvement of behaviour you wanted achieve?

Sorry if i waited to answer :

I wanted to test for a  few days :

No issue and my build is stable , the most improvement is that xcpm_core_scope_msrs © Pike R. Alpha", kernelToPatch,  TSCadjustreset kext  are no more needed. :)

I found in DMI tables from iMacPro cpu type "0f01" and showing now W xeon attachicon.gifZrzut ekranu 2018-02-22 o 00.18.25.png

I notice to that ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext shoud not be load. So I made kext disabler to prevent loading. But I don't know is that important thing.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UPKGmd2pg3eX18Ervd6Bk5SKg_Y3oPom/view?usp=sharing 

Great that you found the correct CPU type entry! 

Can you further explain your conclusions concerning the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext?  I am not really able to follow your reasoning .. 

Cheers, man!

KGP

I found in DMI tables from iMacPro cpu type "0f01" and showing now W xeon attachicon.gifZrzut ekranu 2018-02-22 o 00.18.25.png

I notice to that ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext shoud not be load. So I made kext disabler to prevent loading. But I don't know is that important thing.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UPKGmd2pg3eX18Ervd6Bk5SKg_Y3oPom/view?usp=sharing 

disable ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext does change something here.

When i use the disabler, my system idle down to 1.00 GHz, when ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext is loaded, idle @ 1.20 GHz.

post-1615252-0-51045500-1519479164_thumb.jpg

In orginal SystemRaport from iMacPro ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext in not loading, but in my hack is loading. So I disabled it. But I really don't know what impact it can have on correct system working. 

if plugin type 1 is set, osx will load X86PlatformPlugin.kext.

If plugin type 1 is not set, osx will load ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext

disable ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext does change something here.

When i use the disabler, my system idle down to 1.00 GHz, when ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext is loaded, idle @ 1.20 GHz.

I saw same unstable system behavior when using disabler.kext. So I thing there is no point to experimenting. If you want lower temp and frequency in idle mode you can use modified PlatformPlugin. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IANg7Qtz7IRoAe4xxvsLSh7P4M94qb5S/view?usp=sharing

post-916820-0-21666900-1519563057_thumb.png